Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Ability Mods: Coming Changes

[DE]Rebecca

I see we are going to be reimbursed for the Forma spent on the two slots being removed.

However, what of the time and affinity from levelling the Warframe to 30? It might seem pretty unfortunate to suddenly have this just disappear from all the Warframes affected.

This is not the end of one trick pony builds because the crappy abilities will still be crappy.  People will mod for the abilities that matter to them and forget they are carrying the abilities that don't matter to them.

And, corrupted mods reinforce this even more, allowing you to improve your favorite abilities even more at the expense of abilities that didn't matter to begin with.  There is zero downside to ignoring an ability that does not matter to you.  And changing that would make the game extremely boring.

This is yet another change that doesn't accomplish what it's proponents claim it does.  So, I'm wondering what DE really expects out of this change because I find it hard to believe that DE does not see how this change does not change what some players expect it to change.  The difference between the actual results and the expect results appears obvious to me, and I expect no less from DE.

Some of it's "proponents" don't look at it as the answer in itself but view it as a part of a larger picture.

Obviously this single change does not accomplish it's goal, but this change along with others very well could.

You claim the actual results are obvious to you yet you lack the knowledge of the full list of changes on coming.

For example: Ember's fireball is not currently considered worth building around or even worth taking by many.

However the power augment mod that makes casting fireball on an ally give them fire damage...

may very well bring a usefulness to that power that gives it a new level of popularity.

And in turn, a larger variety of what powers ember will use. 

Note: Even that is just another part among what may be many.

@Hiero

Agreed. Legendary Forma is the best idea as long as they refund ALL forma from EVERY frame. Not just those used on ability slots.

Though, I'm pretty sure they have decided that the 8 slots is final, and they won't give on that (though that's just what I've inferred from the posts DE has made on it). Thus arguing to keep 10 slots is moot, and since it won't (or is very unlikely to) happen, the best method after that is the Legendary Forma refund.

Edit:

It's basically the same as refunding skill points when there is a massive system/mechanic change in other games. This is a very common thing that most, if not all, other games do. Refund everything and let the players sort it out how they want. Really, the refund all forma used on frames into legendary forma is the same basic concept.

Edited by Norry.

I do understand the people raging about this change - you've put effort into your builds and as a result are attached to the playstyle. However it's difficult to argue that these builds didn't dumb the game play down considerably (don't confuse this with calling them ineffective - just boring...really really boring); there's nothing enlightened or dynamic about running around pressing 4 (or whichever ability you've focused on). This is just one of a few steps they need to take. Warframes powers should be balanced to work well together, you should want to use them and they shouldn't require a conflicting set of stats to make them work (Decide which stats a warframe is going to need and balance the abilities around said skills, in some places this is a pretty big mess). Some powers could feed off eachother etc, there's a lot more then could do in this area for sure. They've stated they're doing a review of all warframes - so I think those of you standing on the "but some of the abilities are bad and I won't use them" argument need to be wait and see what comes of the rework. They are getting better at not putting complete crap abilities on warframes - as evidenced by the newer frames having more useful abilities (getting better - not perfect). 

The Trinity rework is a great example - yes her god mode is gone but now you've got to actually use the other powers to stay alive - and when you do it works effectively, the net result is she's now a whole lot more dynamic and entertaining to play. Give warframes like Frost something to look forward to aside from just pressing 3 when the snow globe drops (perhaps they give him the ability to repair or extend his snow globe in some way, allow him to move it..etc). The fact that they're making abilities innate and focusing on rebalancing all frames to a certain standard bodes very well for the direction of the game - hopefully part of this process includes ensuring every frame has 4 *GOOD/USEFUL* abilities; and they need to ensure these scale, there's no point in making an ability that only works on low mobs. This is afterall one of the big things that differentiates warframe from every other shooter out there. At the end of the day you are likely going to need to adapt - the good news is there are plenty of viable builds out there right now in the current world which use 2+ abilities. As much as I'd like to support the idea of keeping all the mod slots, I can't see how this wouldn't massively overpower some frames to the point of then requiring nerfs to stuff to deal with the god mode builds.

I can't imagine they don't address the issue of forma's resetting level for those refunded. Some people have spent considerable time and affinity boosters on leveling their frames up and it would be quite rude to wipe all this away and expect people to re-invest that time spent.

This is not the end of one trick pony builds because the crappy abilities will still be crappy.  People will mod for the abilities that matter to them and forget they are carrying the abilities that don't matter to them.

And, corrupted mods reinforce this even more, allowing you to improve your favorite abilities even more at the expense of abilities that didn't matter to begin with.  There is zero downside to ignoring an ability that does not matter to you.  And changing that would make the game extremely boring.

This is yet another change that doesn't accomplish what it's proponents claim it does.  So, I'm wondering what DE really expects out of this change because I find it hard to believe that DE does not see how this change does not change what some players expect it to change.  The difference between the actual results and the expect results appears obvious to me, and I expect no less from DE.

This example is only true for today's world, where warframes are carrying abilities which require conflicting stats. Hopefully part of the warframe review is to ensure warframes have 4 abilities all of which work well together, and that making ability 4 shine won't result in completely ruining a portion of the other 3. This change is a net gain to a large % of players and I personally can't wait as I've some 3+ power builds on some frames which will now be considerably better.

As for the bold part at the end of your quote. Warframe is one of the better (by a long shot) free to play titles out there, so why all this hostility? Just because they're going to require you to rethink some builds? You can't possibly be this upset about having to adapt a bit?

Again, the problem is that the 8-slot system will force many builds to be redone entirely.  The result will either be the need to change polarities (requiring additional forma) or to have unused points (read: sub-optimal builds).  Legendary Forma would avoid this as you could quickly rebuild a frame without any time lost (just a few minutes to plan out the build).

There are more 10 ranking mods coming.

One significant Update:

Dev has confirmed the following to be the latest information on how to Rank up individual Abilities:

Abilities will now increase in rank as you rank up your Warframe. It is no longer based on per-ability usage, but occurs passively as your Warframe increases in rank. 

Before and now obsolete:

The ‘Rank’ of Warframe Abilities will now be determined by your use of any given ability. Simply put: Using Abilities earns XP/Affinity toward that Ability to rank it up!

Let’s use Banshee as an example:

A Banshee player begins a mission with an unranked Sonic Boom. Banshee casts Sonic Boom 10 times in that mission, ranking the Ability from unranked to Rank 1. The journey to Rank 2 will involve more use of this Ability,.

That's kind of disappointing, I liked the idea of leveling up abilities with use.

I do understand the people raging about this change - you've put effort into your builds and as a result are attached to the playstyle. However it's difficult to argue that these builds didn't dumb the game play down considerably (don't confuse this with calling them ineffective - just boring...really really boring); there's nothing enlightened or dynamic about running around pressing 4 (or whichever ability you've focused on). This is just one of a few steps they need to take. Warframes powers should be balanced to work well together, you should want to use them and they shouldn't require a conflicting set of stats to make them work (Decide which stats a warframe is going to need and balance the abilities around said skills, in some places this is a pretty big mess). Some powers could feed off eachother etc, there's a lot more then could do in this area for sure. They've stated they're doing a review of all warframes - so I think those of you standing on the "but some of the abilities are bad and I won't use them" argument need to be wait and see what comes of the rework. They are getting better at not putting complete crap abilities on warframes - as evidenced by the newer frames having more useful abilities (getting better - not perfect). 

The Trinity rework is a great example - yes her god mode is gone but now you've got to actually use the other powers to stay alive - and when you do it works effectively, the net result is she's now a whole lot more dynamic and entertaining to play. Give warframes like Frost something to look forward to aside from just pressing 3 when the snow globe drops (perhaps they give him the ability to repair or extend his snow globe in some way, allow him to move it..etc). The fact that they're making abilities innate and focusing on rebalancing all frames to a certain standard bodes very well for the direction of the game - hopefully part of this process includes ensuring every frame has 4 *GOOD/USEFUL* abilities; and they need to ensure these scale, there's no point in making an ability that only works on low mobs. This is afterall one of the big things that differentiates warframe from every other shooter out there. At the end of the day you are likely going to need to adapt - the good news is there are plenty of viable builds out there right now in the current world which use 2+ abilities. As much as I'd like to support the idea of keeping all the mod slots, I can't see how this wouldn't massively overpower some frames to the point of then requiring nerfs to stuff to deal with the god mode builds.

I can't imagine they don't address the issue of forma's resetting level for those refunded. Some people have spent considerable time and affinity boosters on leveling their frames up and it would be quite rude to wipe all this away and expect people to re-invest that time spent.

This example is only true for today's world, where warframes are carrying abilities which require conflicting stats. Hopefully part of the warframe review is to ensure warframes have 4 abilities all of which work well together, and that making ability 4 shine won't result in completely ruining a portion of the other 3. This change is a net gain to a large % of players and I personally can't wait as I've some 3+ power builds on some frames which will now be considerably better.

As for the bold part at the end of your quote. Warframe is one of the better (by a long shot) free to play titles out there, so why all this hostility? Just because they're going to require you to rethink some builds? You can't possibly be this upset about having to adapt a bit?

Great post.

@ndantony

Yes, I know, which is why not being refunded all forma for every warframe is a huge mistake.  It's partly about having unused mod points and entirely about needing to rebuild every frame to accommodate these changes.  In the past I could have used an underperforming ability slot to fit a new mod or dropped one from somewhere else.  With only 8 mod slots the new mod must replace one of these 8.  That means that if my build has 5-7 polarized slots I have very few options left regarding which mods must be installed.

In the case of D polarities, I may decide that having Redirection and Vitality is not needed if I have Quick Thinking.  The problem is that if my build has 3 D polarity slots then I either must use these mods or hope that Narrow Minded serves a purpose (or pay a penalty).  Again, refunding these forma'd slots would let me decide exactly how to rebuild within the restraints of the new system.

As I keep telling people, post your builds and see exactly how they will be affected.  We can theorize all we want but I have actually posted two of my builds and in both cases the result was 2 wasted forma from a 3 forma build.  My builds are currently optimal, these failings are entirely due to DE's upcoming change.  The least they can do is allow me to optimize my builds once again since I planned properly for them.  Refunding all invested forma (from warframes) with Legendary Forma will accomplish this.

Edited by (PS4)Hiero_Glyph

@ndantony

Yes, I know, which is why not being refunded all forma for every warframe is a huge mistake.  It's partly about having unused mod points and entirely about needing to rebuild every frame to accommodate these changes.  In the past I could have used an underperforming ability slot to fit a new mod or dropped one from somewhere else.  With only 8 mod slots the new mod must replace one of these 8.  That means that if my build has 5-7 polarized slots I have very few options left regarding which mods must be installed.

In the case of D polarities, I may decide that having Redirection and Vitality is not needed if I have Quick Thinking.  The problem is that if my build has 3 D polarity slots then I either must use these mods or hope that Narrow Minded serves a purpose (or pay a penalty).  Again, refunding these forma'd slots would let me decide exactly how to rebuild within the restraints of the new system.

As I keep telling people, post your builds and see exactly how they will be affected.  We can theorize all we want but I have actually posted two of my builds and in both cases the result was 2 wasted forma from a 3 forma build.  My builds are currently optimal, these failings are entirely due to DE's upcoming change.  The least they can do is allow me to optimize my builds once again since I planned properly for them.  Refunding all invested forma (from warframes) with Legendary Forma will accomplish this.

The only builds negatively affected by the new system are those that use 1 or less ability mods. If you use 2 your build will be unaltered and 3+ and you'll gain a slot.

So your argument is they should refund all forma based off these corner cases (1 or less ability mods), or because they're introducing new mods....ooor because you'll now have builds which have extra points due to no longer needing capacity for ability mods and you'd like to use said forma elsewhere?

I'm not trying to be daft, I'm honestly not entirely sure what you're getting at.

I like the idea of more "usable" slots.  However, as near as I can tell the formula for converting old frames to the new format could be better.  If we were unlucky enough to forma one of the Zenurik (ability polarity, henceforth "Z") slots that's getting the ax, we have essentially wasted all of the time we spent ranking the frame up again.  We get the forma back, but you can't refund time.  I'd like to propose a better system:

In pseudocode:

hash polarities(M=0, V=0, N=0, Z=0, free=11);polarities = countPolarities();convertZenurikSlots(2);if (polarities[Z] < 4)  if (polarities[free] > 0) {     swapToBlank();     if (polarities[Z] < 3) {        if (polarities[free] == 2) {           swapToBlank();}        else {           returnForma();}  }  else {     returnForma();     returnForma();  }}destroyZenurikSlots(2);

In English:  If someone has formad a Z slot, try to swap that slot's new polarity into a blank slot.  If there are no blank slots left to swap it with, just return the forma as before.

This way, as long as there are any blank slots left, we don't lose the time we spent re-ranking the frame.  The only way there would possibly be one or zero blank slots left is if someone formad three or all four Z slots (in addition to polarizing every other slot) anyway, since I assume that the current plan calls for turning the two "right-side" Z slots into blanks if they're still Z slots.

I think this method would be a lot more fair, and assuming there aren't complications in the coding side of which I'm not aware, not much more trouble than the current one.

Rebecca as already confirmed the scrip will remove remaining ability polarities as a priority.

So this also means their plan isnt removing the left or right abilities, cause that plan is not smart, it doesn't regard slot swap.

Either way, they haven't confirmed the removal of blank slots as a priority in case u polarized all ur ability slots.

Because that does make more sense, and removes the risk of the scrip targeting ability slots that were polarized by the user.

Edited by 7grims

The Trinity rework is a great example - yes her god mode is gone but now you've got to actually use the other powers to stay alive - and when you do it works effectively, the net result is she's now a whole lot more dynamic and entertaining to play. Give warframes like Frost something to look forward to aside from just pressing 3 when the snow globe drops (perhaps they give him the ability to repair or extend his snow globe in some way, allow him to move it..etc). The fact that they're making abilities innate and focusing on rebalancing all frames to a certain standard bodes very well for the direction of the game - hopefully part of this process includes ensuring every frame has 4 *GOOD/USEFUL* abilities; and they need to ensure these scale, there's no point in making an ability that only works on low mobs.

Entertaining....now she has to constantly cycle through clicking 2-3-4 with little time to actually shoot something because she has to be paying attention to so many different details constantly, although I agree the invulnerability needed to go she seriously needs some buffs on her survivability because she no longer has invulnerability/her base stats are bad even though she has the damage reduction it has a relatively low duration and if you build for duration you'll end up making the enemy link part of the skill and energy vamp relatively useless, along with her well of life being horribly underpowered and in dire need of a rework.

I apologize if I'm a little skeptical about them being able to make all 4 abilities have "synergy and scale", I'm still hopeful they can do it but I don't really have much of a ground to go off of, even the recent Oberon rework didn't really do that, his hallowed ground will get gimped if you build for his reckoning/renewal and vice-versa.

Again, I hope that this isn't the case and that all the frames can focus on a few aspects of power and have it benefit their entire kit towards a particular play-style(CC/Support/DPS/Tank). This could also be altered depending on how they implement augments, mainly whether they're gonna take up a mod slot or if they'll get their own separate slots. If they take up mod slots though...they'll most likely see very little use unless they drastically buff a particular ability, in which case one ability builds will still exist but possibly in a more healthy way in which your other abilities are still worth having on your frame because they aren't being gimped by the negatives from corrupted mods.

This is entirely speculation, I'll hold off on any final judgement until I've experienced what U15 is going to do in its entirety.

Entertaining....now she has to constantly cycle through clicking 2-3-4 with little time to actually shoot something because she has to be paying attention to so many different details constantly, although I agree the invulnerability needed to go she seriously needs some buffs on her survivability because she no longer has invulnerability/her base stats are bad even though she has the damage reduction it has a relatively low duration and if you build for duration you'll end up making the enemy link part of the skill and energy vamp relatively useless, along with her well of life being horribly underpowered and in dire need of a rework.

I apologize if I'm a little skeptical about them being able to make all 4 abilities have "synergy and scale", I'm still hopeful they can do it but I don't really have much of a ground to go off of, even the recent Oberon rework didn't really do that, his hallowed ground will get gimped if you build for his reckoning/renewal and vice-versa.

Again, I hope that this isn't the case and that all the frames can focus on a few aspects of power and have it benefit their entire kit towards a particular play-style(CC/Support/DPS/Tank). This could also be altered depending on how they implement augments, mainly whether they're gonna take up a mod slot or if they'll get their own separate slots. If they take up mod slots though...they'll most likely see very little use unless they drastically buff a particular ability, in which case one ability builds will still exist but possibly in a more healthy way in which your other abilities are still worth having on your frame because they aren't being gimped by the negatives from corrupted mods.

This is entirely speculation, I'll hold off on any final judgement until I've experienced what U15 is going to do in its entirety.

These concerns are well founded.

My Trinity build works nothing like you describe. I don't have to constantly spam anything, I'm not infront of my computer right now so I can't provide specifics on how long things last...but it's very far from a frantic spammy build. Link works great, EV restores 150+ energy instantly and blessing heals for large amounts as expected. I will say Well of life seems to still be pretty useless. It's just never made much sense to bother over simply using blessing.

I don't mean to call you out - I truly don't. But a lot of the complaining can be summed as people refusing to experiment with builds, or just straight up not wanting to deal with change. They certainly have not perfected the synergy thing though, as you pointed out with Oberon - but that's not to say more work can't be done there...though I will admit it is perplexing when they release a new frame with conflicting abilities. If you have to completely neuter one ability to make the ult work it's painfully obvious that one ability isn't going to be used.

If you want people to *USE* the abilities, they must be useful and they must scale. Am I skeptical they'll pull it off? sure and it'll likely take multiple tweeks. I don't think people have a proper appreciation of how detailed and tedious balancing some of this stuff truly is.

But all the negativity and whinging is so very far from being even remotely useful (again, not you specifically)

Well, Rebecca just announced that Archwing will launch tomorrow, 10/24 at 0900h EDT, so I guess the 8-mod-slots deal is set in stone already (I assume it is still part of the Archwing update 15).

Since it won't come to PS4 for a while, it will be interesting to find out PC users' feedback and experience.  It could either make or break your weekend. ;-p

Like one user posted earlier, better take screenshots of all my favorite warframe builds before this update messes them up!

Edited by (PS4)vinster

Intriguing... My Ember will actually be able to take a hit and give it back in kind now. And Mag having her 1200 shields back will be nice. And Valkyr finally getting flow will be extremely helpful.

DE, what's your address? I want to send you flowers , lovely scented oils, and other such presents. ^_^

dang i will have to pick a mod to remove but i hope this turns out well.

i use only 1 abilty but all my other mod slots have defence based mods, will this mess up my build? and i mostlikely have to reforma my frame or frames?

Edited by Noctiferous

@o0Spoonman0o

Obviously you have not tested your claim that only 1-ability builds are affected.  Seriously, they are removing all abilities, which means extra mod points and then removing 2 slots, so less places to use these extra points.  This leaves 70-78 mod points for only 8 slots, or an average of 9.25 mod points per slot.  The previous average was 7.4.  That is almost an increase of 2 points per mod slot; that's huge!  In both of the builds I posted I went from having less than 3 unused points to over 10.  The result was that I could remake the same 3-forma builds using only 1 forma, and both of these builds used 2 abilities.  Now theorize how you want (you certainly are not using factual evidence) but having 10+ unused points is hardly optimal and this new system will do just that to many builds.

Edited by (PS4)Hiero_Glyph

My Trinity build works nothing like you describe. I don't have to constantly spam anything, I'm not infront of my computer right now so I can't provide specifics on how long things last...but it's very far from a frantic spammy build. Link works great, EV restores 150+ energy instantly and blessing heals for large amounts as expected. I will say Well of life seems to still be pretty useless. It's just never made much sense to bother over simply using blessing.

I don't mean to call you out - I truly don't. But a lot of the complaining can be summed as people refusing to experiment with builds, or just straight up not wanting to deal with change. They certainly have not perfected the synergy thing though, as you pointed out with Oberon - but that's not to say more work can't be done there...though I will admit it is perplexing when they release a new frame with conflicting abilities. If you have to completely neuter one ability to make the ult work it's painfully obvious that one ability isn't going to be used.

If you want people to *USE* the abilities, they must be useful and they must scale. Am I skeptical they'll pull it off? sure and it'll likely take multiple tweeks. I don't think people have a proper appreciation of how detailed and tedious balancing some of this stuff truly is.

But all the negativity and whinging is so very far from being even remotely useful (again, not you specifically)

I was not meaning to sound rude either, my apologies if I came off that way, and yeah I personally build her more towards efficiency which means my link duration is only around 11s which is how I like to play her, didn't mean to try and make her sound like she has no uses, I just feel that she could use some changes along with a bunch of other frames.My main build for trinity involves less watching my energy which I enjoy personally and I still have a duration build for harder content like endless t4's.  

My personal thought on trinity would be that they'd make link a toggle and I do not have any ideas for well of life really, maybe some sort of reverse link, like you link to nearby allies and restore health until you toggle it off(probably a bit too much like renewal), or like some form of health/shield multiplier buff you can cast that affects you and all linked allies, so you could at least not have to focus on all 4 stats just to make all of her kit function to full effect and after the frame's become able to focus on only a couple aspects to make them strong they could work on corrupted mod balance in return, of course that's not something I expect to happen overnight.

Yeah I'm also really hoping they'll be able to make all abilities synergize with one another within a frame's kit and I understand that it will take a while to do so. I'm just a little impatient I suppose, but I can't wait for the day when someone like saryn can use miasma/venom/contagion to take out 3 enemies in 3 different situations instead of just spamming 4 for all 3 situations.

Edit:Grammatical Errors

Edited by CinderDragon77

@o0Spoonman0o

Obviously you have not tested your claim that only 1-ability builds are affected.  Seriously, they are removing all abilities, which means extra mod points and then removing 2 slots, so less places to use these extra points.  This leaves 70-78 mod points for only 8 slots, or an average of 9.25 mod points per slot.  The previous average was 7.4.  That is almost an increase of 2 points per mod slot; that's huge!  In both of the builds I posted I went from having less than 3 unused points to over 10.  The result was that I could remake the same 3-forma builds using only 1 forma, and both of these builds used 2 abilities.  Now theorize how you want (you certainly are not using factual evidence) but having 10+ unused points is hardly optimal and this new system will do just that to many builds.

In which case you wasted time with those extra forma's now that you wouldn't need so many to get the same capacity in a two power build.

So while you, as a person, may be negatively effected by this change because you feel you wasted time.

It is still accurate to say that a two power build itself is not negatively affected by this change.

What about my existing Ability Mods?

All existing Ability Mods won’t be rendered useless - they will be converted into Fusion Cores. Stay tuned for more information on the specifics of this conversion.

Hurry up?

Edited by KIREEKPSO

@o0Spoonman0o

That's the current state of my "serious" builds as I want to be flexible with auras and mods that not necessarily fit to a given polarisation.

Having these extra points allows you to play outside your usual paths. Like you some have complained before about the excessive capacity points.

Can someone quote DE's statement that max capacity will stay unchanged?

I seem to have missed that statement completely.

If it's really true it means you hardly will have to reform your frames after the patch as you can fit mods to the wrong polarisation without worries.