Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Engine Comment

combine991

I have no idea where to put this so i assumed this was best place.

To whoever or what ever team made this engine. YOU ARE GODS! I have yet to find an engine scale so well and run so great. If i could id nominate for some award. The least you deserve. No If only it didnt start crashing so much.

Yes, I must agree the Evolution Engine is quite good. It certainly could be the "evolution" of game engines. So far it has only crashed on me once. Otherwise it's been smooth sailing for me. Anyone know what the APEX option does in settings though? I enabled it, but I haven't really noticed it or anything.

APEX is a form of physics, so I imagine it would work on NVIDIA cards and give some extra particle effects/debris.

And yes, the engine is really fantastic. Runs at a silky 120fps constant for me maxed out. Really fantastic use and optimisation of DX11.

EDIT: Also question to the devs: is the APEX actually implemented into the game atm, or is just the option there? While I use an AMD card, I've tried it as have other NVIDIA faring friends and they see no difference.

Edited by Frozencry

My only complaint about the engine is that everything looks wet and glossy instead of more matte (though I have the same problem with a lot of consumer electronics as well). It's like someone went over all the characters and objects with turtle wax. Unreal Engine 3 sometimes has the same issue but other than that this game takes advantage of some cool optimization techniques. The most unique of which is the procedural generation of levels that made games like Daggerfall so amazing and huge on older systems where that kind of scope was relatively unhead of.

I will say I wish the parts were a little more interchangeable and combinable instead of just cookie cutter rooms. I'd like to see more smaller building blocks that would make up one room or a lot of these blocks connected to make corridors and that kind of thing.

The post-processing is also a big issue especially the lack of AA options but at least I can turn everything off. Has anyone had luck overriding the game and using CSAA? I've had no luck. The in-game FXAA is rather muddy and works fine if you like blur everywhere and not being able to see everything crisply but that's not my cup of tea.

Edited by MegatechBody

I find the shaders far less plastic and far, well, sharper is the best word I can think of, more metallic than a lot of games, which looks great. Granted I'm running with AA/bloom/motion blur/depth of field off because postprocessing ruins the crispness.

This is probably the best-optimised engine I've ever had the pleasure of using, kudos to the wizards who made it happen.