Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why The New Ability Level Up System Is A Good Thing.

LGear

So as with all sweeping changes to Warframe, there's been lots of discussion regarding the new way Warframe abilities are handled. In particular, the way that Warframe powers are now no longer brought to maximum effectiveness via mod fusion, but via repeated use. Now there are already dissenting voices against the system, among those the argument that it'll make it impossible to use "under ranked" versions of said abilities.

I look back to my experience as a Warframe newbie however, and think that the new way the ability system works can only be a really good thing. Back when I was starting out with my Excalibur, I only ever spammed Slash Dash all the way to Earth.

Why was that? Because it was the only power that was unlocked. At the time I didn't even know about how the mod system worked, and since I didn't know that powers were slaved to mods I kept using Slash Dash till I managed to play with the mod system after unlocking a few Warframe levels, and discovered that I needed to equip the ability mods to use the rest of my Excalibur's powers. I thought it was a silly method of equipping Warframe powers then, and I still think so now. Hence, why I'm quite happy with the new change to Warframe powers being innate to the Warframe instead of being mods: it'll be more intuitive that way, and easier to grasp for new players, while giving a reason for veteran players to at least try out a newly acquired Warframe's powers, since now they don't have to worry about min-maxing mod builds by sacrificing powers.

Yeah, I really think it's a good move. New players are strung out too far between abilities and defensive mods, and it causes difficulty until they get used to the game and how it goes. That all is after they've figured out modding, too.

This way, they get all their tricks without the hassle, and they get more room to try out stuff without feeling limited. Plus, it just makes a lot more sense and benefits many players. Really excited :3

While the ability mods being removed is a good thing (and the new system does make more sense), one can just spam abilities to level up without placing much thought into it, which trivialises the change by a good extent. 

It still depends on Affinity gained, so you gain much more by killing enemies with the abilities than just by spamming them mindlessly.

I really hope the Skill-through-use is applied to weapons too, current system makes no sense.

Edited by SuperTechmarine

It still depends on Affinity gained, so you gain much more by killing enemies with the abilities than just by spamming them mindlessly.

The original post detailing the ability changes stated that abilities unlock as your Warframe levels up, and the unlocked abilities level up based on the use of the ability. So, I can still spam them endlessly (even more so with Efficiency + Energy Restore mods) to level them up, even without killing anything. 

While the ability mods being removed is a good thing (and the new system does make more sense), one can just spam abilities to level up without placing much thought into it, which trivialises the change by a good extent. 

Maybe they should limit how much an ability can level based on Warframe level? Which means you can't just be a Nova level 2 with a maxed MP right?

Maybe they should limit how much an ability can level based on Warframe level? Which means you can't just be a Nova level 2 with a maxed MP right?

Well, the abilities are unlocked (not levelled up!) as your Warframe levels up, so there is that taken care of by quite a bit. 

What we can do as a start is diminishing returns on spamming (and skill-based challenges for bonus XP [in which other players can submit their challenges (with proof that it can be done) for a chance for it to appear in the challenges list for an ability]). 

Actually with new MP this isn't so easy to do, since half the time I can't even try to trigger it myself because someone else has triggered it in the frames it takes to come back out of cast.

So as with all sweeping changes to Warframe, there's been lots of discussion regarding the new way Warframe abilities are handled. In particular, the way that Warframe powers are now no longer brought to maximum effectiveness via mod fusion, but via repeated use. Now there are already dissenting voices against the system, among those the argument that it'll make it impossible to use "under ranked" versions of said abilities.

I look back to my experience as a Warframe newbie however, and think that the new way the ability system works can only be a really good thing. Back when I was starting out with my Excalibur, I only ever spammed Slash Dash all the way to Earth.

Why was that? Because it was the only power that was unlocked. At the time I didn't even know about how the mod system worked, and since I didn't know that powers were slaved to mods I kept using Slash Dash till I managed to play with the mod system after unlocking a few Warframe levels, and discovered that I needed to equip the ability mods to use the rest of my Excalibur's powers. I thought it was a silly method of equipping Warframe powers then, and I still think so now. Hence, why I'm quite happy with the new change to Warframe powers being innate to the Warframe instead of being mods: it'll be more intuitive that way, and easier to grasp for new players, while giving a reason for veteran players to at least try out a newly acquired Warframe's powers, since now they don't have to worry about min-maxing mod builds by sacrificing powers.

Unless you were only using 1 ability mod (99% of players use more than 1 on every frame), this is a good change for everyone

My ember smiles at this. I use accerant build with efficiency and duration to keep world on fire working, but I wanted to use fire blast and fireball too without need of more slots.

Most of my warframes use 3 abilities slots (oberon, frost, vauban, nyx and etc), this is going to be great because I getting 1 extra slot this update.

People that use 2 abilities things are not getting worse.

But people who use to min-max 1 ability are going to lose 1 slot, but winning 3 powers.

Finnaly people will be using a bigger variety of power in the game, this is the way is meant to be played

And about the case of useless abilities like most primary powers, maybe they will get useful in the future for high level enemies.

I am still waiting for a combo mechanic to be announced :/

Edited by Luizgu

Cordially, we technically are granted 13 mod slots for this update. 8 for regulars, 4 for the abilities, and 1 for the aura.

I'm sorry if this update will ruin your build, but on the bright side it'll concentrate the drop tables and thus giving us all more useful mods. It is a change for the good, imo.

Edited by Twilight053

I'm sorry if this update will ruin your build, but on the bright side it'll concentrate the drop tables and thus giving me, you, us all more chance of useful mods. It is a change for the good, imo.

Yup. The change will remove 80 mod cards from the drop tables (20 Warframes, 4 for each). That's an incredibly large number of cards removed from enemy mod drops.

I always found having bot mods and skills levelled and used in the same way a bit awkward.

I mean,it always seemed to me strange to equiparate mods and warframe unique skills through the same method of acquisition,installation and levelling.

I think that having the skills in a separate system makes more sense.From what I've seen in the devstream they are leading to a direction that I agree with.

So I'm looking forward to see the changes,since I think they will be mostly for the better.