Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Weapon Concept] Relic Long Gun: An Orokin-Era Combat/battle Rifle

Shion963

As a preface: To give everyone a idea of where I'm coming from about this, one of my most favorite videogame guns I've ever played with is the Mattock from Mass Effect 2. The name is just a tentative thing, we don't have Orokin words outside of the word Orokin itself. Also I have zero artistic talents so no pretty pictures, and obviously the ol' classic "Wall o' Text warning" (it doesn't look like a wall of text once I posted it)

The Concept:
Two of my current favorite rifles in Warframe are the Latron and Braton, which both has traits I like, but no cigar. Latron has doable damage per bullet, balanced with manageable recoil, and a small magazine (for a rifle), while the Braton has good rate of fire and magazine capacity, but average damage per bullet.

And as for the Orokin bit, that would pertain to the aesthetic side of things.

Corpus guns are sterile looking square things with simple brushed finish, while Grineer guns are.... cancerous? The only thing Tenno-based are the Paris, and the Ethers. Those feature a more smooth looking weapons with ample curves, which might not convey 'Orokin' design philosophy as the Tenno are merely OF the Orokin ERA.
What I have in mind is an aesthetic that would seem contemporary during the Orokin Era, something that would fit the Orokin Porta-potty (https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/32183-anyone-know-what-this-is-orokin-relic/), with flowing curves and metallic tones, but no gold inlays as it's a standard-issue weapon for a soldier of the time. I personally consider the Tenno as an elite force, compared to what a normal groundside soldier is. Out-of-universe example of what I'd like to see it look like would be the Asari-made Disciple or Acolyte, albeit longer so it'll look like a rifle.
EDIT: 11.11.11's orokin beam rifle design would do perfectly with what I envision it looking like. Minus the stabilised miniature star, of course. (https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/29968-weapon-concept-oorkin-particle-rifle/)
ME3_Disciple_Shotgun.png
ME3_Acolyte_Pistol.png

The Weapon
"The RELIC is a versatile weapon used by infantry forces during the Orokin Era. Its moderate firing rate allows a soldier of the time to pick off targets from a distance, or concise bursts in close range"

Proposed Stats
Type: Combat Rifle
Base Damage: 22
Base Firing Rate: 8.4
Accuracy: numerically undefined, I don't know enough about the numbers to say
Base Mag Size: 20
Base Ammo Size: 450 (22 and a half reloads)
Base Reload Speed: 2.5~3s
Base Critical Chance: 15%
Base Critical Damage: 120%
Polarities: - (Dash)

The Relic would be a middle ground between a Braton and Latron, effectively a stronger Braton Mk-I with a smaller magazine. It would reflect what would be considered a Standard-Issue Combat/Battle Rifle of the era: a dependable workhorse for the main body of soldiers. Its firing rate would allow single-tap 'sniping', or something around 2 shots per second with the trigger held down.

Its original ammunition of choice can no longer be found in large amounts, but the Lotus has modified the stock they found to accept readily available rifle ammunition, although this means that it would be considered a lesser weapon than its original counterpart.

While it is considered an Orokin-era Relic, I in no way meant for it to be an All-Powerful Weapon made by the Lost Ancient Civilisation. Rather the opposite. I want it to be like they found a Lee-Enfield, Garand, or M14 buried in someone's garage nowadays. So the cost would effectively be low-medium, with the blueprint only needing Uncommon crafting materials (Alloy Plates, Circuits, Orokin Cells, Morphics) to make, with probably one rare component like a Neurode.

==============================================================================================
Upon further consideration, I really think using Sniper ammo like Acyl suggested would be better, as the normal Rifle Ammo pickups giving twenty ammo flat for all weapons that uses it would favour automatic weapons with magazines larger than the pickup. As it currently is, the Relic could easily be used for an entire mission without any ammo shortage since it's a 'empty one mag, gain one mag'. Provided users can at least kill two or three enemies that with one full magazine.

With Sniper ammo, I could drastically reduce its ammo reserve to just four spare magss, forcing the user to pick his shots, discourage bullet spraying, and also remain mobile to pick up additional ammo as one would only have so much ammo to use at one time, although this might potentially kill its usability in extended firefights.
Type: Combat Rifle (Sniper Ammo)
Base Damage: 30
Base Firing Rate: 8.4
Accuracy: numerically undefined, I don't know enough about the numbers to say
Base Magazine Size: 20
Base Ammo Size: 80~100 (4~5 reloads)
Base Reload Speed: 2.5~3s
Base Critical Chance: 20%
Base Critical Damage: 130%
Polarities: - (Dash)
==============================================================================================

Comments and constructive criticism are welcome o/

Edited by Shion963

Wow a great concept :D would love to see those in the game *-*
I just want a good rifle on the game... as it is now Hek dominates the game, not giving us many choices, without Hek we feel "naked" haha...

Thanks man. Honestly I thought this up because of the recent addition of the Grakata, that's more between Gorgon and Braton. Positively a hail of bullets, but it's not for me/my playstyle.

Thanks man. Honestly I thought this up because of the recent addition of the Grakata, that's more between Gorgon and Braton. Positively a hail of bullets, but it's not for me/my playstyle.

Good to see I'm not the only one with a disdain for bullet hoses. 

I had a similar idea for an Orokin era rifle, though not a main battle rifle like yours. You can check it out here: -> https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/29968-weapon-concept-oorkin-particle-rifle/page-2#entry297670

Corpus guns are sterile looking square things with simple brushed finish, while Grineer guns are.... cancerous? The only thing Tenno-based are the Paris, and the Ethers. Those feature a more smooth looking weapons with ample curves, which might not convey 'Orokin' design philosophy as the Tenno are merely OF the Orokin ERA.

What I have in mind is an aesthetic that would seem contemporary during the Orokin Era, something that would fit the Orokin Porta-potty 

I think you're forgetting about the Boltor and Bolto (plus the Akbolto). Those seem to be Orokin-era assault rifles and pistols, given they have the same organic aesthetic as our warframes, and wouldn't make sense as Grineer or Corpus design.

Edited by Acyl

I think you're forgetting about the Boltor and Bolto (plus the Akbolto). Those seem to be Orokin-era assault rifles and pistols, given they have the same organic aesthetic as our warframes, and wouldn't make sense as Grineer or Corpus design.

Ooh good catch! I only used the Boltor for a short while, and that was so long ago when it looked like a Burston.

Looking at the picture on the wiki, I can see that it has similar aesthetics as the Paris and Ether, but it looks more 'pointy' because of the ribbing around the barrel.

I had a similar idea for an Orokin era rifle, though not a main battle rifle like yours. You can check it out here: -> https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/29968-weapon-concept-oorkin-particle-rifle/page-2#entry297670

Nice weapon concept! I think I'd be pleased if my concept rifle was designed around your aesthetics, albeit with a lot less 'mysteriously contained fusion source' in the middle because mine would be using normal solid projectiles.

Perhaps yours is a more "Special Applications version" rifle built in the shape of a familiar widely used rifle, or a more sophisticated weapon system on a basic rifle platform of that era (hooray for fan lore ;D)

Edited by Shion963

I think it would be nice to buff the stats of this weapon to make it a little overpowered (not all-powerful, just decidedly better than most alternatives), since it's Orokin tech and all, and then give it very low reserve ammo, because Orokin ammo must also be rare. Essentially, the Harrier from ME3.

I think it would be nice to buff the stats of this weapon to make it a little overpowered (not all-powerful, just decidedly better than most alternatives), since it's Orokin tech and all, and then give it very low reserve ammo, because Orokin ammo must also be rare. Essentially, the Harrier from ME3.

Funny you should mention that! I originally wanted to make it deal about 28~30 damage, and only 200 max ammo (10 reloads), but decided that it would be too close to a Latron so I shaved it down a bit, and increased reserve ammo.

The thing is, we just got a new rifle that has ridiculously high ammunition consumption and runs dry very fast - the Grakata. So if any hypothetical Orokin rifle also has that attribute of high ammo consumption, it has to be positioned differently from the Grakata in other aspects.

Alternatively, this hypothetical Orokin weapon could just use sniper rifle ammo, since sniper ammo already drops less frequently than the other ammo types. The sniper category needs more weapons anyway, since right now there's just Snipetron and Paris.

Edited by Acyl

The thing is, we just got a new rifle that has ridiculously high ammunition consumption and runs dry very fast - the Grakata. So if any hypothetical Orokin rifle also has that attribute of high ammo consumption, it has to be positioned differently from the Grakata in other aspects.

Alternatively, this hypothetical Orokin weapon could just use sniper rifle ammo, since sniper ammo already drops less frequently than the other ammo types. The sniper category needs more weapons anyway, since right now there's just Snipetron and Paris.

Hmm, yes that would make the Relic very similar to the Grakata as far as rifles go, albeit with an opposite approach in balancing for accuracy.

Using Sniper Ammo would give me some leeway to increase its damage, and a reduced (but still comparatively high) reserve ammo of about 350~400 would make players more conscious of their reserve ammo count and not waste shots since Sniper ammo pickups are quite rare. Depleting a Relic's ammo reserve would mean that the player will be left on his Sidearm, or scrounging for ammo drops for the rest of the mission.

Thanks for the input!

Not too sure about a beam rifle or the like per say but just some actual Orokin weapons in general would be nice or perhaps more of these sort-of cobbled together Tenno weapons that we've gotten a sprinkling of. The paris I don't think was ever confirmed as a tenno weapon but it does seem like their style, the skana and ankyros melee weapons were confirmed to be of tenno construction and the ether weapons are maybe orokin or could just be a ancient tenno weapon since they're from the great war mentioned in the lore.

Edited by BallisticPigeon

Not too sure about a beam rifle or the like per say but just some actual Orokin weapons in general would be nice or perhaps more of these sort-of cobbled together Tenno weapons that we've gotten a sprinkling of. The paris I don't think was ever confirmed as a tenno weapon but it does seem like their style, the skana and ankyros melee weapons were confirmed to be of tenno construction and the ether weapons are maybe orokin or could just be a ancient tenno weapon since they're from the great war mentioned in the lore.

I don't think I've mentioned anything about the Relic being a beam rifle...? It's a good ol' reliable slug launcher. I think you're mistaking this with another Orokin weapon concept that does fire beams (https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/29968-weapon-concept-oorkin-particle-rifle/).

And

I personally consider the Tenno as an elite force, compared to what a normal groundside soldier is.

I could see the elite warrior Tenno to use Bows and fists, but I wouldn't outfit a whole Orokin army infantry with it. Hence the Relic's concept.

EDIT: Edited the OP to include lore about ammo. Rifle ammo would have reduced power for more common ammo type. Sniper ammo would be closer to Orokin-era ammo, but it's comparatively scarce.

Edited by Shion963

• 2 months later...