Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Artemis - An idea for a new warframe! (Picture inside!)

Zeus154

They call me Artemis.

In shadowy corners, my foes wait for their untimely end. My wapons bear unusual weight for my liking; not very elegant, and heavy. The sword however, stays true to this one. The room is envisioned looming with screams, and limbs parting ways from their owner's rightful body. Surges of energy constantly coursing through my body, the intensity growing every passing second.

I drop down near my unaware targets. My sword cutting through armor, tearing into flesh and gnashing bone in mere seconds as if it were a guilotine. Dark crimson is thrown across walls, painting the cold metal in a fiendish fashion. The remaining stragglers slowly crawiling away from their inevitable fate.

Metal scraping against metal.

Sheathing my bloodied blade, I walk. The energy slowly escalating once more for another set of prey.

=============================================================================

Well after a few hours of fumbling for a design, I liked where I was going with this:

002.jpg

Hand-drawn and detailed. Put love into every mark! :)

Artemis is a caster warframe. (tweaks are in-bound! Details are being sorted out.).

Let me know what you think. Enjoy.

EDIT: Edited power loadouts. Seemed too aggressive.

EDIT 2: Currently multiple ideas are being thrown around. Some collaberative effort is being put down. I thank Ced for pitching in.

Edited by Zeus154

Certainly interesting however:

1. Normally the skill build invovles a mobility and / or defensive ability, and not just 4 aggresive damage dealing ones

2. It already feels like we have enough stealthy Warframes (ratio wise), however would certainly like to see something like this further down the road as the game gets developed

Certainly interesting however:

1. Normally the skill build invovles a mobility and / or defensive ability, and not just 4 aggresive damage dealing ones

2. It already feels like we have enough stealthy Warframes (ratio wise), however would certainly like to see something like this further down the road as the game gets developed

thanks for the input, I'll be updating the OP shortly. I wasn't focusing on stealth necessarily, but I'll see what I can come up with.

Edited by Zeus154

The ability set is Volt, almost spot on, with ability 2 and 3 switched.

Throw = Shock. A spammable damage ability. Yours has added movement.

Whirlwind Stride = Sprint

Protective Dawn = Electric Shield

Field of Darkness = Overload, only that yours is heaps weaker. Overload just kills 'em.

The drawing is great, but the concept offers nothing new. Another issue is that the frame looks like Altair from Assassin's Creed. And the general vibe of the Tenno is rather ... Eastern, Zen-like. This strikes me more as a medieval backlash, which seems a bit out of place. Major kudos for the drawing, but the engine concept and general vibe don't seem to be hitting a mark.

Edited by Ced23Ric

The ability set is Volt, almost spot on, with ability 2 and 3 switched.

Throw = Shock. A spammable damage ability. Yours has added movement.

Whirlwind Stride = Sprint

Protective Dawn = Electric Shield

Field of Darkness = Overload, only that yours is heaps weaker. Overload just kills 'em.

The drawing is great, but the concept offers nothing new. Another issue is that the frame looks like Altair from Assassin's Creed. And the general vibe of the Tenno is rather ... Eastern, Zen-like. This strikes me more as a medieval backlash, which seems a bit out of place. Major kudos for the drawing, but the engine concept and general vibe don't seem to be hitting a mark.

To be honest I haven't really played Volt... At all. :\

And Medieval? I don't know what you're talking about! :P But I have to admit, the mask looks a little crusader-ish.

What do you personally suggest, Ced?

I agree, the warframe itself looks great. Some of those abilities sound like a lot of fun as well, namely throw.

Tossing fools through the windows like it was going out of style.

Imagine throwing them out the Reinforced glass windows? :D

She reminds me a lot of the Fury Adept from ME3 Multiplayer, both in powers and appearance.

Looks very cool though!

She was my inspiration for a hooded Tenno! I have to agree with you on your statement though. They have a resemblance!

=======================================================================================

Thanks for the responses so far. Other then that, I did give this the good ol' college try! :D

Edited by Zeus154

Well, first you need to find the right "theme". The way she currently looks, she has a strong vibe either towards assassination or secrecy. Those are currently covered by Loki (mischief) and Ash (pop-culture ninja). So the first question is: Do you want to dive into an area that is already covered by two frames out of eight?

If yes, I'll go on, trying to flesh her out some more. If no, we are back at square one. Which isn't a bad thing. ;)

Well, first you need to find the right "theme". The way she currently looks, she has a strong vibe either towards assassination or secrecy. Those are currently covered by Loki (mischief) and Ash (pop-culture ninja). So the first question is: Do you want to dive into an area that is already covered by two frames out of eight?

If yes, I'll go on, trying to flesh her out some more. If no, we are back at square one. Which isn't a bad thing. ;)

I would like to hear both sides! XD

But in-game, since all frames are unique... I'm slightly leaning towards square one.

I would like to hear both sides! XD

But in-game, since all frames are unique... I'm slightly leaning towards square one.

In that case, let us look at what we have.

We have two of the four elements covered: Fire (Ember) and Electricity (Volt). That leaves us with Freeze and Armor-Piercing. The latter is somewhat iffy, but not impossible to work with. We also have classical roles covered. Tank (Rhino), Healer (Trinity), Assassin (Ash), Controller (Loki), Grunt/Melee (Excalibur). The elementals also cover as another common role - Caster. That leaves us with ... not much from that portfolio. We have a few things left aside the other two elements. The DoT Caster (Single DoT, AoE DoT, Stacking DoT...) and the Controller-Caster (Mindcontrol, Alignment Shift, Confusion). The last iteration would be the pet class.

So, what would you like to explore?

Freeze Caster/Hybrid

Armor-Piercing Caster/Hybrid

Mindcontrol Caster

DoT Caster

Pet Class

I got ideas for all.

Edited by Ced23Ric

Armour-piercing seems like it would work, 1-key as an arrow-projectile that ignores armour and goes through multiple targets in a line? Or goes into one target and splits into a shotgun blast out the back of it, like armour spalling? Poison arrows, since poison damage goes right through shields? The archery motif would work pretty well for an AP theme.

I don't feel qualified to discuss abilities/balance, but one thing immediately struck me when I saw the drawing: it's clearly wearing a hood. This might sound nitpicky, but none of the other Warframes wear clothing; even Ember's sort-of trousers have been changed to look more like accessories than clothing. I really like the drawing and the idea of more frames, but that seems like one of those idiosyncrasies that would need to be resolved. Since we can switch frames, I think the idea from a lore perspective is that the frames are themselves armour/clothing. Maybe make the hood more like hair or part of the head? Slightly tweakes, it could give a bird-like appearance.

The archery motif would work pretty well for an AP theme.

Working Title: Yumi (jap. "bow")

1: Escape Flip 25 Energy - Yumi catapults herself backwards in a series of sommersaults, slashing enemies in her path.

Special: Distance 6m (7yds), damage: 75, staggers hit enemies.

Boost: +1.7m (2yds) distance, +30 damage per.

2: Arrow Strike 50 Energy - Yumi launches an arrow that plunges through enemies in a straight line.

Special: Ignores shields, 150dmg base, Puncture +7.

Boost: +50dmg, +3 Puncture per.

3: Archer's Eye 75 Energy - Yumi concentrates on her next shots, dealing more damage.

Special: +25% Armor-Piercing Damage, +10% Crit Chance for 7 seconds.

Boost: +2s duration, +5% Crit, +10% AP dmg per.

4: Hail of Projectiles 100 Energy - Yumi goes into the zone and fires torrents of never-ending bullets. Duration: 4s

Special: +50% Rate of Fire, +100% Multishot, +25% AP dmg, +4 Puncture.

Boost: +1.5s duration, +15% RoF, + 25% Multishot, +10% AP, +1 Puncture dmg per.

Edited by Ced23Ric

1: Escape Flip 25 Energy - Yumi catapults herself backwards in a series of sommersaults, slashing enemies in her path.

2: Arrow Strike 50 Energy - Yumi launches an arrow that plunges through enemies in a straight line.

3: Archer's Eye 75 Energy - Yumi concentrates on her next shots, dealing more damage.

4: Hail of Projectiles 100 Energy - Yumi goes into the zone and fires torrents of never-ending bullets. Duration: 4s

Since seeing this thread, I was mulling over ideas for an AP based Warframe myself. Had some similar-ish ideas but didn't end up coming up with a full, rounded suit. Your idea is great. Well done, sir!

I'm not really feeling the 1-key, doesn't fit much with the theme(on that note Artemis is a far superior name to Yumi), maybe some sort of poison-attribute attack(PBAoE? Shotgun-blast like the immobiliser Infested?). Replace the 3-key with a "Mark Target" ability that causes all shots hitting the target(teammates' fire included) to ignore armour for 5..7..9 seconds?

I'm not really feeling the 1-key, doesn't fit much with the theme(on that note Artemis is a far superior name to Yumi), maybe some sort of poison-attribute attack(PBAoE? Shotgun-blast like the immobiliser Infested?). Replace the 3-key with a "Mark Target" ability that causes all shots hitting the target(teammates' fire included) to ignore armour for 5..7..9 seconds?

That would give the frame four damage attacks, and not a single utility ability. The only frame that has that is Ember - and she is an extreme by design. I much rather keep a mobility aspect in here. The idea of the Escape Flip is getting distance between you and the targets fast, to get out of melee and back into ranged combat - which is paramount for archers. Poison, on the other hand, is close to Ash's turf as an assassin. And also quite powerful yet useless, as DoTs can be slow to "watch" tick down and up wasted if you just clear 'em out.

Artemis is also a Greek goddess, and while bows & hunting were her portfolio, it would open another chapter on who the Tenno draw from for names. Right now, we are limited to English, with one step out of the norm by naming Loki after the Norse God of manipulation, possibly trickery and mischief. By the by, Excalibur is from the British/Welsh tales and despite it's look, it is not Latin but was "latinised" by scholars of that time period, so it sticks to English. Admittedly, Yumi doesn't cut it, then, either, and we'd need to look for a new name. Hence: Working Title. :)

I like the idea of a team ability, but would prefer to keep abilities independent of team presence. Trinity is one of the few frames with team interaction, and she is suffering for it. :/

As far as mobility I'd rather go straight up to some sort of wall/ceiling-walk(which with enemies as they stand would make the frame melee-untouchable), the flips just strike me as... overly theatrical.

Also, Ash's turf is "trying and failing to be edgy"~!

You got this from SMNC didnt you.

I did play SMNC (Albeit a long time ago), but I had randomly came up with the name. Don't hurt me! XD

Time for edits, and random things!

Also Ced...

^^^

This doesn't look half bad. ;)

My creative skills are kind of limited for things, and I haven't delved into any serious RPG/Moba game elements. I like where this is going. Thanks for the help.

I do like having my throw power though... It would be interesting on what the devs can do with their physics engine! :D

As for a name... Aquila? Sounds fitting for this skill-set.

Edited by Zeus154