Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Archwing - Predefined "up"

KingTaro

When I saw the very first Archwing footage, I was wondering whether there would be a defined "Up".

To make it clear, without an "Up", you could get something like this:

1Fz2PhV.jpg

With a defined "Up", you won't be facing anyone upside down, no matter how much you tilt:

lZiTpr3.jpg

While the first one is more realistic, DE decided to define an "Up", because they felt it was one step too far into being uber hardcore otherwise.

Any thoughts?

Source:

Steve: "One of the decision we made early on which was a bit controversial was – I’m not sure if you ever played Descent? – you could bank and what was “up” could change. The first version of Archwing had you flying around and nothing was [predefined as] “up” so you could tilt and then up was to the left. It was super vomit-inducing and went one step too far into being uber hardcore."

Link to the article: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/10/16/warframe-archwing-update/

I think its a good move. When there is no defined up people get confused quiet easy. Sure its more realistic if there isn't a defined up but for the sake of enjoyable gameplay its better.

Edited by Evers

I feel like I'm one of the few people that would have been okay with there being no "up". To this day, I still don't know how people get nauseous from rotating around in a game.

But then again, I've also played Strike Vector for a couple months, so I'm a professional at that type of movement, lol.

Considering that one of the PRIME requisites for Astronauts and Cosmonauts is that they be able to handle not having a defined 'up' for a period of time? HARD btw. Tried an hour in a simulator without a defined 'up' once. Puked for ten minutes when I got out.

Hardcore? Yes.

I have played LOT of flight sims. Some with defined 'up' and others without. I have enjoyed many of each.

But they do not want people's monitors and keyboards to have to be replaced on a daily basis. (Vomit generally does that. Projectile? Worse. )

Edited by Kalenath

The enemy's gate is down.

Wait they have a defined up? Aw, that's too bad. Love the undefined up in Space Engineers. :( Oh well, I know it can be a problem for people so I guess I'm fine with it.

Edit: A toggle would be kinda nice. Have it default to defined, of course.

VVVVVVVVVVVV Mwahahaha

Edited by Archeyef

I feel like I'm one of the few people that would have been okay with there being no "up". To this day, I still don't know how people get nauseous from rotating around in a game.

I wonder about that, as well.  I've never had a problem having no defined "up" in a game.

"The enemy's gate is do- F***, reference already made.

Edited by Katakuna

I rather have no defined up, but I have friends that I'm sure would get lost or confused so I understand this choice. For a wider appeal it's the better option. Being able to toggle it off would be nice, but I also get why they don't do that. If they ever put in a PvP form a player that switches to no defined up can move in ways a player with a defined up can't and thus make themselves a much harder target.

I wonder about that, as well.  I've never had a problem having no defined "up" in a game.

"The enemy's gate is do- F***, reference already made.

It is odd.

It doesn't hit everybody. And it doesn't hit the ones it hits regularly or in any definably, predictable fashion. I have known FIGHTER PILOTS who could not hack being astronauts even after some insanely intense training because of it. (Talk about ****ed off...)

That said, MOST flight physicians seem to think it is an eye-ear thing. Most. Not all. The discussions get... heated on occasion from what I understand.

The average gamer is nowhere even remotely CLOSE to the physical level of a fighter pilot, let alone an astronaut. Vertigo is to be expected.

I ENJOY games like the old 'Elite' with no predefined 'up. Or 'Lander' with it's INSANELY accurate physics and hard as hell to control vehicle movement as WELL as no predefined 'up'. (Hard as hell, FUN as hell. Would still play it if it worked with Windows 7)

Most gamers won't.

Edited by Kalenath

I'd like the option to go into the "uber hardcore" space flight, I love games with that total range of movement. It feels so.. freeing. The amount of time I just derp around flying all over in space engineers is proof of how much I enjoy it. besides once your used to it, its really rare to even get thrown into a disoriented state. the sun makes a great reset for "up" if you ever loose it

Well... dont all these maps have a GIANT formian ship in them? Use that as your orientation of "up" top of this ship= up

Doesn't work as well as you would think. The debris all around likewise isn't always going to be visible. I speak from experience of all KINDS of space flight sims from the original X-Wing to Microsoft Space Flight Simulator to almost any space flight sim you can name for PC. If I do not OWN it, I have probably played it. (No boast, just experience)

The monster ship in the background will HELP, sure. But it won't work all the time. And... which part of it is the top?

Edited by Kalenath

Ahh Decent that was a good game.

I've played many flight and space simulators in the past so I'm quite accustomed to having no "up".

However i think this is a good decision, but to make it a toggle option? I mean if you were a new-ish play seeing someone else flyby "upside down" you'd be pretty confused xD

It could be a mod, like gyroscopic stabilsation or somthing, comes auto installed on archwings so once youve gotten used to it you can take it out and use the slot for somthing else.

Like having stabilisers on your bike as a babby =D.

(or maybe have its own slot with afew other alternative aura type mods).