Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nikanas...

Xardis

Dont get me wrong, I realy like the disign and stances of the weapons but I have a huge problem with nikanas. I dont like that if you cut in melee only mode you still put it in the scabbard. If i attack i dont want to take disadvantage of having it always in the scabbard. It is only a small change but I would love to see having nikana handled in hand without the scabbard when in melee only.

no

it looks cooler that way

and that is how samurais fight

The samurai fight that way because the principle of easten sword fencing is to kill in the fewest strikes. If i put away my weapon away before i defeat my enemy i put myself in disadvantage of having to pull it out again in the same time when i could attack / block.

Edited by Xardis

Yeah, it's more like Iaido inspired... definetly not samurai but still nice to see. 

Early forms of Iaido existed back when samurai were around, but they weren't widely used. 

But this game mainly runs on rule of cool, so it doesn't really matter.

Dont get me wrong, I realy like the disign and stances of the weapons but I have a huge problem with nikanas. I dont like that if you cut in melee only mode you still put it in the scabbard. If i attack i dont want to take disadvantage of having it always in the scabbard. It is only a small change but I would love to see having nikana handled in hand without the scabbard when in melee only.

Having in the scabbard is the starting point of every attack, and the end of every attack. There is no reason to hold out a blade that has already tore its victim asunder...

Having in the scabbard is the starting point of every attack, and the end of every attack. There is no reason to hold out a blade that has already tore its victim asunder...

But when you did not killed him there is. If you go to melee only you want to kill more than one enemies. You dont use melee only to kill one enemy if there is more of them, that would be pointless.

But when you did not killed him there is. If you go to melee only you want to kill more than one enemies. You dont use melee only to kill one enemy if there is more of them, that would be pointless.

Notice when your attacking your sword is constantly flying. So the moment the sword stops that means everyone close to you is dead, and now you wait like the Grim reaper for the next group to come, and be judged by your blade.

Edited by Arlayn

Notice when your attacking your sword is constantly flying. So the moment the sword stops that means everyone close to you is dead, and now you wait like the Grim reaper for the next group to come, and be judged by your blade.

For me putting away your weapon befor you kill everyone simply for the cool factor i for me a major mistake in fight and in real life could result in your death.

For the blade to be in scabbard for TC & BJe makes sense as these are more or less based on iaido

A blade out of scabbard would be nice for DJ as it is based more on kendo

Idle weap animations are tied to weap so not for now, but as they told they re tryin to change that for BJe finisher so we can hope for more changes

Nb: yes BJe, we all know what kind of jokes just the initials would entail

Think of it this way, the more you have your katana out and are performing strikes the more stamina you use, the more erratic your breath control becomes. Sheathing your katana allows you regain your breath control for a split second. Then take on another enemy with your most powerful stroke, your drawing stroke. Alot of sequences/forms begin with the katana sheathed and end with it sheathed because your enemy is dead.

Next is concealment, sheathing your katana makes your next move nearly unpredictable unless someone knows your stance. Being ninjas concealment is big in our line of work.

In a real battle the katana can be sheathed in battle but only once you have a clear space in which the enemy can't reach you without taking a few steps, in which time you can react.

Other then this, having it sheathed all the time and running the way we do makes it more ninja like then traditional samurai.

I hate the way how the Frame runs around with both hands on the hip when in melee mode, one on the scabbard and one on the grip. It just looks stupid.

Having your hands there is the ready postion for drawing your blade. Considering our missions we must always be prepared to draw our blade at a moments notice. Running while having our blade out doesn't do us much good as the blade just gets in the way.

There is of course the traditional samurai way of running with your sword but that doesn't look ninja and once close to the enemy you don't have many choices in you type of stroke unless you stop then gain your stance. The way we run now is much more viable as we are already at the first stace to perform our stroke.

The tradition style of running would look great if DE gave us an Nodachi/Odachi. These swords were traditionaly carried outside of the sheath due to how big they were, until someone decided to use another person to carry the sheath.

How about a X second delay before sheating the katana back after using it, when you're idle? 

3 seconds perhaps?

Thought about the same thing but with 5 seconds delay and not when idle but when no enemy is in range of sight.

Think of it this way, the more you have your katana out and are performing strikes the more stamina you use, the more erratic your breath control becomes. Sheathing your katana allows you regain your breath control for a split second. Then take on another enemy with your most powerful stroke, your drawing stroke. Alot of sequences/forms begin with the katana sheathed and end with it sheathed because your enemy is dead.

Next is concealment, sheathing your katana makes your next move nearly unpredictable unless someone knows your stance. Being ninjas concealment is big in our line of work.

In a real battle the katana can be sheathed in battle but only once you have a clear space in which the enemy can't reach you without taking a few steps, in which time you can react.

Other then this, having it sheathed all the time and running the way we do makes it more ninja like then traditional samurai.

Having your hands there is the ready postion for drawing your blade. Considering our missions we must always be prepared to draw our blade at a moments notice. Running while having our blade out doesn't do us much good as the blade just gets in the way.

There is of course the traditional samurai way of running with your sword but that doesn't look ninja and once close to the enemy you don't have many choices in you type of stroke unless you stop then gain your stance. The way we run now is much more viable as we are already at the first stace to perform our stroke.

The tradition style of running would look great if DE gave us an Nodachi/Odachi. These swords were traditionaly carried outside of the sheath due to how big they were, until someone decided to use another person to carry the sheath.

I think the argument of size and weight isnt the issue. Think about scindo of other heavy weapons, if you are in melee only you dont have them on your back, you have them in your hand ready to attack. You dont have hands ready to take them from your back, you carry them.