Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Fanfiction] Faith

Kalenath

It seems like its just another tower gone mad. In the first chapter it gave an error on the language and attempted something to resolve it. Did it simply find stuff on warhammer cos some orokin grunt used it in his spare time? Also a (former) grineer badass siding with Tenno, do i sense a Clem reference?

And as always great writing Kal.

Nothing QUITE so simple.

*cackles evilly*

*freezes to keep the Space Marine from thinking he is tainted with Chaos*

Ah... yeah... wouldn't end well...

PRAISE THE EMPEROR!

Proper mood music -

Edited by Kalenath

Void/Warp traval + different 40K History (Sanguinius dies at the end of the Horus Heresy and most of the loyalest primarchs disappear) suggests a dimentional bleed at a minimum. the fact he came out with Adaptus Astartus Wargear suggests that Kal has an... alternate history in mind for the 40K stuff.

Void/Warp traval + different 40K History (Sanguinius dies at the end of the Horus Heresy and most of the loyalest primarchs disappear) suggests a dimentional bleed at a minimum. the fact he came out with Adaptus Astartus Wargear suggests that Kal has an... alternate history in mind for the 40K stuff.

Well, also Abrahaim needed to be properly outfitted. Mark VIII armor though... The Loyalist Space Marines of the Horus Heresy where Sanguinius died used Marks III, IV, V and even Mk VI armor in some cases.

And HOW many of the Primarchs could actually STAND one another?

With the Emperor actually THERE, they would behave. For a bit. But Leman Russ WILL go back to being his usual self VERY shortly. The others probably as well.

So...

*shifty eyes*

Edited by Kalenath

Kinda sad you didn't go with Corax, because the idea of sneaking up on Tenno in full beakie power armor would have been hilarious.

Funny you should say that...

Even full Battle Brothers know the value of stealth.

Edited by Kalenath

Man my body loves the Blood Angels especially since they use their heavy bolters to beat people with sometimes and dont get me started on thier Baal predators i just hope he doesnt get anything to scary

You want scary, go face down a Tyranid Hivefleet.

Disregarding that one little incident on Macragge.  Behemoth was having on off day.

Man, this is the BEST FANFICTION of any game I have ever had the pleasure to read.

Congrats for your storytelling abilities...

You obviously haven't read all of Kal's other stories.  Trust me, this one will make a lot more sense if you do.

Here's a list, from Silverbones' Fanworks Index

The Kalenath Collection - by Kalenath

Duty Endures

To Be The Darkness

What Price Honor?

Rage

Normal

Madness

The First: Gathering

Quest

The Road to Redemption

Instinct

Healing

Enemies

Rites of Passage

Schisms

By the Sword

Old Dreams

Only Human

Weapons

Children

Edited by Temperance000

Cheers, sorry for being niggly.

Niggle all you like.  We are all friends here, for we shelter in the aegis of the Glorious Kalenath, eagerly awaiting the next narrative typhoon He shall rain down upon our humble heads.

heheh, this Cult of Kalenath thing is probably unhealthy, but damned if it isn't fun.

Niggle all you like.  We are all friends here, for we shelter in the aegis of the Glorious Kalenath, eagerly awaiting the next narrative typhoon He shall rain down upon our humble heads.

heheh, this Cult of Kalenath thing is probably unhealthy, but damned if it isn't fun.

Sounds like a Slanesh-like cult to me... I'm fine with that. GUILTY PLEASURES AND NOIZE FOR EVERYONE.

Sounds like a Slanesh-like cult to me... I'm fine with that. GUILTY PLEASURES AND NOIZE FOR EVERYONE.

I need every reader, so don't say that TOO loud with Space Marines around.

There is only war

Grineer were many and strong. They had the largest military force in the Solar System. Their numbers grew on a daily basis. Their ships were huge and carried multitudes of clones. Their society, such as it was, made sure that the only survivors of their 'training' were the biggest, strongest and toughest being in the solar system who traced their ancestry to humans, despite their loud protest of being 'better'.

There were foes they could not beat of course, although any Grineer caught whispering of that was usually punished up to and including Atterax whippings. But all Grineer knew of the Tenno. They held the Corpus desire to use robotics instead of men in disdain, but their own troops understood. The Corpus weapons were mighty even if their leaders were mostly cowards who sent brainwashed soldiers to die as callously as they would send robotics. Maybe more callously. Humans bred quickly, if not as quickly as  Grineer, then quickly. Robotics were expensive to build and maintain, humans soldiers? Not so much. Maybe eventually, the Corpus would start cloning too.

Then there were the Infested. To any Grineer soldier, the less said about them, the better. Whether they were semi-sentient biological weapons or simply some form of alien beast, no Grineer actually cared. They were vermin to be exterminated. Unless they did the exterminating. In which case... Well, the less said about that the better. Grineer marines got some nasty jobs on occasion, but all had seen or seen records of clearing Infested hives. Yuck.

But this...

It was supposed to be a routine mission. Go to a habitat buried deep within the mantle of Mercury and find a hidden human settlement. Humans bred like cockroaches and you could never get rid of them all. Which was probably a good things since no Grineer wanted to actually work. They were soldiers, not factory workers. That was for slaves, and there was always a surplus of humans for the slave pens. It didn't matter how old they were or in what shape. You caught them, clamped restraints on them and shipped them off. Simple.

But... not this time.

Something was hunting the Grineer through these tunnels. Which was just plain wrong. Grineer were the strongest. Everyone knew this. Well, every Grineer knew this. Some might whisper of Tenno, but... this wasn't Tenno. No one had any idea what it was, except for a brief, garbled report of a giant in red armor simply appearing in the middle of a command center. A report that had cut off in mid-word. By the time reinforcing troops had reached the command center, less than five minutes in the cramped tunnel... There had been nothing left except bodies. And the state of the bodies...!

Every Grineer knew of the Tenno love affair with archaic bladed weapons. Some might denigrate it quietly. Some might mock it loudly. But every Grineer knew of the damage caused by sharp blades. This...was different.

Grineer armor was designed to be impervious to most weapons. So... The small holes that had been punched in some of the armor made sense. To a point. Some form of armor piercing ammunition. No big deal. Except that whatever had penetrated Grineer armor as if it was made of cheap plastic had then exploded! None of the Grineer who had seen the bodies would talk about them, but more than a few had seen the holos of the ammunition casing that had been scattered around the area. Big casings. Those holos had also shown Grineer bodies that looked sort of as if they had been sawn in half. Which wasn't possible. Saws wouldn't get through Grineer armor. Right? The best term any had heard was 'gore-fest'. It took a lot to make a Grineer marine puke, but a couple had. And now? Their orders were 'Find the unknown assailant and neutralize.'

There was just one minor little problem. They were not the only ones hunting.

"There! There!" A Commander called just before something went 'crack' against his armor and he fell over, a huge hole blown through his helmet. As his twenty clone strong team turned, seeking enemies, one of them screamed as a tiny oval thing landed at his feet. The scream cut off with the explosion that tore his armored form apart. The collateral damage claimed three more of them.

"Fall back!" The sergeant snapped. This was not a normal order for Grineer. But then again, this was not a normal situation. "Stay close to the walls!"

He was starting to speak again when a flash in the near distance had several of the Grineer turning. He died, order unspoken as several lights illuminated the huge figure in blood red armor that was charging them. The huge pistol fired again and another clone died. But most of their attention was on the enormous sword it held in one hand. That huge weapon came to life in a whirring of teeth and suddenly the Grineer knew why the bodies in the command center had looked sawn apart. They had been.

"For the Emperor" The figure declared as his pistol flashed again, the bark preceding the head of a Heavy Gunner simply ceasing to be. "Death!"

You had to give the Grineer credit for guts if not sense. Some might have survived if they had run. But they could not. They had been ordered to fight. They tried. It made no difference. Their fire sparked off the monster's armor and his weapon blew right through their armor like it wasn't even there. Then he was in melee range and all they could do was die.

"Holy crap..."

None of the Grineer Marines had seen anything like this. The... ambush had taken the previous patrol by surprise. Grineer were always the ones who won. Or so the propaganda said. Hushed whispers of Tenno or others were disciplined heavily when heard by higher ranks, but it did not stop them. And the scene that their lights illuminated was right out of a nightmare.

The company of clones -100 strong- had come to find the missing patrol and they had found it. What was left of it. Grineer bodies lay every which way. Twenty one of them. Several were in pieces. Others had the same distinctive holes blown in them. The odd shell casings lay here and there, but apparently, this enemy didn't use his ranged weapon much. He apparently didn't need to.

"By the Queens." One of the Commanders bent over and his faceplate opened just in time as he was nosily sick. More than one of the other Grineer did the same. They were the strongest. Or...they had been. This... "What the hell...happened here?"

"Sir!" One of the Marine toed a body aside and knelt, his light illuminating something. "What is..."

"Don't touch that!" His Commander snapped. Too late.

As explosions went, it wasn't that big. The problem was... the tunnel that the ambush had taken place in was very close to something that few people wanted to be close to. Even the highest tech shielding had difficulty containing molten magma. When said molten magma was under pressure? Worse. The explosion tore a microscopic hole in the wall of the tunnel, the backblast throwing the unfortunate trooper off his feet as his Commander screamed at him.

"What the hell were... you..." The Commander's eyes went huge under his helmet as safety doors slammed down at either end of the tunnel and he swallowed hard as he heard a hissing. "Oh..."

Whatever else he was going to say was cut off as a high pressure stream of molten magma literally tore its way into the tunnel. Grineer armor was strong. Not that strong. None of the clones even had time to scream.

Only one clone had been outside of the doors when they sealed and that Heavy gunner was stunned by the sudden shift. One moment, she and her company had been ready to do damage in the name of the queens. Now all of them but her were dead. Before she could gather her wits, a growling hum sounded close at hand and she screamed as something tore through her right arm. A blow sent her to the floor where she stared up at a huge red thing. It was shaped kind of like a human. But the eyes... Green teardrops on a blood red helmet. She was struggling to raise her Gorgon one handed as the red armored monster lashed out with his whirring blade again, tearing her other arm off at the elbow.

"The enemies of Man will fall before us." The monster said calmly in perfect Grineer as it raised its pistol. A pistol that was far too large for a human to carry or use. The maimed Heavy Gunner spit at him and a flash was the last thing she saw.

"How many casualties?" The voice of the task force commander was incredulous.

"So far, two hundred and sixty, sir." The Grineer captain said calmly. His superior had demanded contact so he had done so. Even if he wanted nothing more than to leave these tunnels. He really felt anything but calm. This could not be happening. "Whoever it is, they are targeting command and control first. They are fast and precise."

"I want results, not excuses, Captain." The task force leader said in a dangerous tone. "I want to know who is doing this and I want them dead."

"Whoever is doing this, sir..." The Captain said calmly. "They are using the terrain to their advantage. No scans have been recorded except some fragments from helmet cams that are... frankly... unbelievable."

"I dislike your tone, Captain." The other said sharply. "Are you... afraid of this... this thing?"

"I would say..." The Captain chose his words carefully. "Respectful. Whatever this thing is... it is not weak. I doubt it is human. The few images we have of it are human shaped, but far larger than any base. Larger than any Grineer." He shook his head. "If you command it I will continue to send troops in. I obey orders and we have troops to spare. But we will be wasting our time."

"How so?" The superior Grineer's tone might have frozen an ocean.

"The weapons and tactics this enemy is using are not in any of our databases." The Captain said with a sigh. "We cannot predict what this enemy will do. It is using guerilla tactics, striking as it wishes. We need to take the initiative and..."

He paused. What was that sound? He spun and screamed as the razor sharp teeth on the oddly shaped sword cut deep into his armor. Before he could even think to draw a weapon, the enemy was gone. The captain fell, his lifeblood seeping out. He stared at the lifeless bodies of his guards, slain silently while he was distracted.

"Captain!" The voice of his superior came from far away. "What is happening! Report or I will have you flayed!"

"Too late..." The captain managed to groan. "Targeting... command... I..."

"Captain! Report!" The Task Force leader commanded, but he captain was beyond hearing. Then a small explosive charge destroyed the powerful transmitter that was the only connection to Grineer HQ from the tunnels, cutting the Grineer still in the tunnels off from command. From any chance of escape or reinforcement.

It was insane. No one but Tenno attacked Grineer on anything even remotely close to equal footing. This... This was not a Tenno. It was far, far larger. But it moved kind of like one. And the ways it killed... The pistol and rifle that did not miss and blew through the toughest of armor as if it were made of archaic wood pulp paper. The sword with the whirring teeth that cut through ferrite armor like old style cheese. The explosives, the traps...

It wasn't a battle anymore. It was a rout. Grineer did not flee. So they fought. And they died.

Finally, the red armored giant finished his grim work. The tunnels were silent. He nodded soberly and keyed for transport.

"Holy crap..."

Aeron's soft, stunned voice unknowingly mimicked the commander of the doomed Grineer patrol as he and Two stared around the scene of carnage. As far as their sensors could see, nothing lived in the tunnels the Grineer had invaded. They had been set to recon, to ascertain who or what had contacted the Oracles. But neither had expected this!

"What did this..." Two knelt by a Grineer body and whistled in awe. "This...wasn't a Tenno blade. This... looks like tooth marks! But.. metal?"

"I am reading...energy signatures..." Aeron said as he scanned the area. "Not Orokin portal traces, but... close... Very close. No way to trace." He knelt by another body and examined the wounds. "Whoever it was, was using armor piercing explosive ammunition of some kind. Nasty."

"Could one of our weapons do this?" Two asked, bow in hand.

"Maybe."Aeron said with a shrug. "But why would we? This looks like the ammunition was purposely designed expressly to penetrate before exploding. Not as efficient as some of ours."

"Effective enough." Two said with a sigh. She bent down and picked up a small cylindrical metal thing. "This is... odd."

"A shell casing?" Aeron said slowly. It was big, the size of a small drink can. The marks on it were odd to say the least. Two wings around a skull. He looked from the casing to the wounds on the dead Grineer and nodded. "Big rounds. And..." He paused, looking around. "Oh dear..."

"What?" Two demanded.

"How many shell casings do you see in this area?" Aeron asked as he tapped the dead Grineer's armor. "Two rounds hit this Grineer." He moved to one side and nodded as he bent down and picked up two more of the odd casings. "He was standing here when he fired. Rock floor, no footprints. Snuck right up on them. They never saw him until he fired. I think... single shots. Wow. Very good shooting. Very precise." Two went still. For the clan sniper to say something like that...

"You think it is an ally?" Two said slowly. "I mean... whoever it was didn't like the Grineer much."

"Who does? I hope it is an ally, Two." Aeron said with a shrug. "I certainly do not want to fight this guy. Sneaky, well trained and well armed. And from the marks on the walls? Well armored. We better get lost. You know what the Grineer will do."

"Yeah." Two said sourly. "Five hundred wasn't enough. Next they will send a thousand."

"Against this guy?" Aeron said with a shrug as the two Tenno started for the exit. "I am betting on our unknown."

"Seriously?" Two asked, her tone not really dubious. The evidence all around said that their unknown was very capable.

"Think about it, Two." Aeron said softly. "Where are the human settlements?" Two went still and Aeron nodded. The closest hidden human settlement was five hundred kilometers away from the mining tunnels that had been turned into an abattoir. "He drew the Grineer away into empty tunnels to tear them apart. He knew what he was doing. I bet he knows how the Grineer are going to respond and if so... he will be prepared."

"And they don't know what happened either, do they?" Two asked as they made their way to where their Lisets waited.

"Not according to the chatter we picked up." Aeron agreed as he stepped into his ship. "We need to find this guy. Talk to him. Like I say, I really hope he is on our side. Fighting this guy would not be fun at all."

"True." Two said as she entered her own ship.

"Damage report." Abrahaim said as soon as he materialized in the armory. "I took hits." That was an understatement. While he had avoided much of the fire that had sought him, he had been caught in several explosions. His armor had held. The Grineer armor? Not so much.

-All armor systems operating at capacity.- The machine spirit said calmly. -Damage is superficial. Erase from armor?- It queried. Abrahaim paused and then nodded.

"Yes." The Space Marine said with a sigh. "Scars of combat are to be worn with pride, but the psychological effect of an enemy that is utterly impervious to damage is extreme as well. Grineer are disciplined to the point of unthinking. I need to shatter their sense of..." He paused as a red light appeared on one wall. "Status?" He moved to a wall and keyed a screen alive as several beams of golden energy played over his armor.

-Monitors of channels have detected a heretic assault about to progress. They seek to enslave Men to their cult.- The machine spirit said calmly as the blood red armor was restored to pristine. -They report a Tenno in the area. But injured or damaged.-

"This will not stand." The Space Marine snapped as he reloaded his weapons. "Status on heavier weapons?" A display shone nearby and he nodded. "Keep at it. I want some heavy support. The Grineer will regroup and alter tactics. Not even clones are completely clueless. And I am about to introduce myself to new set of enemies. Switch to Tempest Bolts. They will fear my wrath."

She had done everything right. Everything. She had gone as ordered. Done what she was ordered. But her team had run off and left her. Any sniper was vulnerable when looking through the scope of their weapon and Karen had been engrossed in her scope view for just a moment too long. Just long enough for an Oxium Osprey to slam into her, disabling key systems. She fought. It was what she did, what she was. Inside, she was cursing the fools she had been ordered to work with. Snipers were slow. They couldn't keep up with speed obsessed jerkoffs. And speed obsessed jerkoffs tended to leave people to die. Slowed them down.

Her vision was fading as she saw Corpus Crewmen approaching. If they took her... She had a weapon in hand and it was spitting defiance, but... her systems were failing. She was bleeding out. She was...

"For the Emperor!"

Karen could only stare as a huge blood red form moved to stand over her, the humongous weapon in his hands spitting defiance at the Corpus, shredding them. She was... It was...

She fell into blackness, but a golden force held her. It was...gentle.

Edited by Kalenath

Hmmm... Protected until pickup or... guest? Maybe a "guest"? Maybe none of those. It will be interesting to see.

I was always more invested in the Lore of that ... product, than any other aspect of it. Of course with the parent company's recent (past few years) ... legal manoeuvres, I haven't bothered buying anything for a while and likely won't ever again. Still, there's plenty of content for free online, even if they did do their best to kill off their fanbase in all official areas. (Not to derail or hijack this thread but, does anyone else remember the Black Library Forums?)

Hmmm... Protected until pickup or... guest? Maybe a "guest"? Maybe none of those. It will be interesting to see.

I was always more invested in the Lore of that ... product, than any other aspect of it. Of course with the parent company's recent (past few years) ... legal manoeuvres, I haven't bothered buying anything for a while and likely won't ever again. Still, there's plenty of content for free online, even if they did do their best to kill off their fanbase in all official areas. (Not to derail or hijack this thread but, does anyone else remember the Black Library Forums?)

Let us NOT speak of THAT heresy here. C.S. Goto should have been sent to the Inquisition as a heretic before he was allowed to write a single word! Multi-lasers my @$$.

And as for what they did to their own forums? I WOULD say throw them all into the Warp, but the Warp doesn't WANT them. Too wrong even for the Gods of Chaos.

Nope, not ever buying anything from them ever again until and unless things change.

And as for what Abrahaim is going to do? Word of warning. Space Marines are NOT nice.

Edited by Kalenath