Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Fanfiction] Faith

Kalenath

Warps

Quais was thankful for the silence as Olim led the way into the quarantine enclosure. The girl lay unconscious on the bed, her garb sufficient for modesty purposes if little more. Then he went still. He heard a girl crying!

"You hear it too, don't you?" Olim's words were not really a question. Quais nodded and Olim sighed. "All this time looking and a potential falls right in my lap. Figures that life's sense of irony is unchanged." Quais went still. Olim had been seeking... The Cyberlancer nodded. "If you can hear her... and you can... Then you have the ability. But as with all things, just the ability isn't enough. You will need training. The Tenno need more of us."

"I... do not understand." Quais said after a moment. "I have the ability to...what?" What little he knew of Cyberlancers smacked of magic instead of technology. He knew the old saw about 'any sufficiently advanced technology looked like magic to any less advanced person' but still...

"I hope to explain." Olim said heavily. "But for now, this girl needs our help. If I do... fail... Riana, shift to his warframe." This was a command. Then he groaned. "No. I am totally serious, Riana." He said sharply to someone who wasn't visible. "He will need you."

"You are needed." Quais said quietly. "Do not borrow trouble. Or aggravate your sister unduly." Olim looked at him and he shrugged. "Hey, I know better than to anger an AI. I do not wish to slay you. Cyberlancer."

"Well, I do not want to die either." Olim agreed. "Too much to do. Maybe..." The Frost Prime held out  a hand and the Ash took it. "Yes..." The Cyberlancer mused. "You do have the potential. But you will need training."

"And you are the only one who can train me." Quais was not sure about this at all. "True?"

"True." Olim agreed sourly. "What a mess. I can get into her mind, but... I don't know what I will find."

"So you need to scout the area first." Quais said with a nod. "Can you use me?"

"I...am not sure." Olim said slowly. "I can get myself in fine, but anyone else?" He shrugged.

"Well..." Quais said slowly. "The girl has three mental wavelengths in her head, no?" Olim nodded and Quais continued. "Can you bring them out here so we can talk to them?"

"That..." Olim paused and then nodded slowly. "That might work." He stepped forward to touch the girls head and froze as she sat straight up, her eyes suddenly wide. "Uh..."

Quais went for his weapons, the girl wasn't supposed to be able to wake up!

"This... isn't right..." The girl said slowly and the world vanished in a haze of golden energy.

Quais kept himself calm through sheer discipline as the world solidified around him. A virtual world. He could see and... now he could feel the edges of it. Code. Golden code. But... where was he? He remained where he was, every sense hyperaware. The sound came first. A girl crying. Then another voice.

"It is not your fault, child." The older female voice was soothing, calming. "None of what has happened is your fault." Quais went still as a bed appeared in front of him. A young looking woman was sitting on it, her face in her hands. From her posture, she was crying. A familiar armored form stood beside the bed, her hand outstretched. To comfort? Or something else. A glint showed in the armored form's hand. "You should not be awake. I can help." The older woman said gently.

"Everything is off..." The girl sobbed. "Everything is different! I feel...wrong. My body is wrong..." Quais was about to move, to do something when the armored woman spoke again

"You were losing control." The other said gently. "It isn't anything you can train for. There isn't anything wrong, girl. It is who you are. In my world, you would be a mutant or a psyker, but you are not." Her tone was sad now. "My world is not this one. This is your reality. Yours. You are a young human with gifts."

"This isn't a gift!" The girl screamed. "I want to go home!"

"Abigail." The other chided her gently. "You know you can't." She looked to where Quais stood frozen and nodded. "The explosion hurt her, us. The damage was done and likely cannot be undone. But she -we- were taken because..." She paused as Abigail's form suddenly started to glow. "Abigail!" She said sternly. "Be calm!"

"I wanna go home!" Abigail said, wilting. "I wanna go home!"

"Abigail! No!" The older woman cried as the world started to dissolve. "Don't!"

Quais was in motion before either of the others could move as a door appeared on one wall of the virtual world. It yawned, darkness on the other side. He moved to block the door. The portal to oblivion for the girl's mind. If Abigail died in here...

'Abigail.' An unfamiliar male voice called from the door. "Abigail... Time to wake up, honey.'

"Dad?"the girl asked, her face suddenly coming up. Tears were falling unchecked as she stared at the door. "I... No... No, you are dead. I..."

"Abigail! Please!" The older woman said urgently, but Quais had seen enough.

"Stop." Quais said firmly. "Both of you. Stop. Wait." Both turned to look at the Ash and he continued slowly. "Abigail... Your name is Abigail?" The girl nodded jerkily and the Ash nodded back. "Mine is Quais."

"I...thought Tenno did not speak..." Abigail managed to grate out as the voice from the door kept calling. She made to rise, but the older woman sat on the bed and hugged her tight. "No... I... Dad is calling..." She said weakly.

"That is not your father, Abigail." Quais said firmly. "You created this virtual world. You brought us here. If you die here, we all die with you." Abigail stared at him, her face ashen. "If you truly do wish an end, no one will gainsay it. But not at the cost of other lives."

"I don't understand." Abigail said slowly as the older woman hugged her tight.

"Abigail..." The other woman said slowly. "The Emperor's blessing is only to be given to those who cannot be saved. You can be. If you choose."

"What happened?" Abigail asked, if anything even more dazed as the older woman held her gently. "I had... gone to sleep. My training was underway... Everything was... I was... My hands were glowing, but I managed to hide them and..." Quais paused as something suddenly made sense.

"How long have you been able to tap the power within you, Abigail?" Quais asked quietly. Both woman stared at him and the Tenno shrugged. "At the core, everything is energy. You tapped it early, didn't you?"

"I have always been able to make computers do what I want." Abigail said weakly. "Broke some, but learned fast. Learned to fix things before anyone reported them broken. Even before the machinery could. I... I am bad. Wrong."

"No, you are not." Quais kept his voice quiet. "You learned to do something that not many humans do. That made you exceptional at your chosen craft. You do not even need to try hard." It was statement, not question, that last. Abigail wilted further. "Abigail..." Quais said with a sigh, this was not his thing. "It is nothing wrong."

"Listen to the Tenno, Abigail." The older woman said urgently. "Please. Close the door. I don't care what anyone says. You are a good girl. You were abused. Tricked and hurt. But that does not change who you are!"

"I... I don't know..." Abigail said slowly. "I wanted to serve... to make a difference..."

"You can." The older woman promised. "If you do not extinguish yourself." She bowed her head and then let Abigail go. "It is your choice, Abigal. Not mine, not the Tenno's. Not the other's. Yours. Emperor be with you." She rose and moved to one wall where she bowed her head and waited.

"Other?" Abigail asked weakly.

"Yes, Abigail." Another voice, just as soft and gentle preceded another form appearing. Quais had his rifle in hand and aimed as Abigail gave a shriek. This one wasn't human. "I am no threat to you, Abigail. Nor to you, Tenno. But the Hospitaller and I... do not agree on much. Our arguments would hurt you, girl and neither of us want that." The female alien had blue skin!

Her green robes were cut to flow easily. The color worked well with her skin tone. She was unarmed, although a belt of odd looking machinery or tools hung at her waist. Her eyes under the raised eye ridges were orange and pupil-less, but somehow conveyed compassion nonetheless. The odd 'Y' shaped ridge that creased her face seemed to do nothing as she smiled. She held up empty hands that had only three fingers and an opposable thumb on each.

"Hello Abigail." The odd looking woman said calmly. "My name is Ab'gal'ui. I serve the Greater Good."

"You are... alien..." Abigail said weakly. Quais did not move.

"Well, duh." The other said with a recognizable smile. "I am not real, Abigail." All of the others stared at her and the not human shrugged. "We are in your mind, girl. I am part of you. So is the sister here. You needed the help."

"I don't understand!" Abigail snapped. "I..." She shivered as a female voice sounded from the still open door. "Mom..."

"None of this is real, Abigail." Quais said quietly. "This is a virtual world. You have made these before." Again, not a question. Abigail wilted further and he sighed. "Abigail..." He chided her gently. "It is not your fault."

"Um..." Olim's stunned voice preceded the Cyberlancer into the midst of the odd tableau. "Hi?" His sister appeared beside him, seeming more real in this place and time. She stared from the Hospitaller to the Tau to the girl and back, silent.

"Hi." Abigail said in a small voice. "I... Um... What have I done?"

"Your cry for help was heard." The Tau said quietly. "Brother Abrahaim extracted you before the cult who had you realized what you were. Your Special Forces allies would have tried to protect you. They would have fought for you."

"And died..." Abigail was crying again. "Everyone I love dies. Everyone! I just... I don't... Not again..."

"Close the door, Abigail." The Hospitaller said quietly. "The Emperor knows his own. We love you."

"Close the door, Abigail." The Tau repeated. "The Greater Good would be diminished without you. We love you."

Abigail gave a long, drawn out scream. Pain, loss, rage, sadness, fear, horror. All of these mixed in one, long drawn out wailed cry of regret and remorse. The door closed and vanished. The tension in the virtual room seemed to drop dramatically. The only sound was Abigail sobbing.

"I don't..." The girl cried. "I don't want... I want things to be as they were! I was... I was liked for who I was... For what I could do! Not for my genetics! Not for my flesh!"

"Abigail." The Hospitaller said quietly. "The one absolute truth in life is change. Even death itself is only a form of change. A final change as far as we know, but a change. You have changed. You will change."

"But I don't want to!" Abigail screamed.

"Abigail..." Ab'gal'ui was just as quiet as the Sister Hospitaller had been. "What we want is rarely what we get." She paused, looking at the silent Tenno. "But you called for help. Help is here. Will you accept it?"

"I...called for help?" Abigail asked, confused.

"You did." The Tau replied calmly. "In the waking world, you do not remember. Here you will. In your dreams you cried out for help and talked to a woman whose face was shrouded from you." Abigail jerked. "You could not see her face. But when she touched your cheek, her hand was burned." Abigail jerked again.

"The Oracle?" Olim asked, hushed. Both the Hospitaller and the Tau nodded to him. "I see."

"She...was vague." The Hospitaller and Tau both said in unison. Both glanced at each other and did not comment.

"She has to be." Olim replied slowly. "So... Abigail was taken and... her mind sequestered?"

"Until she could reach help." The Hospitaller agreed. "I am a construct. I was built to help her adjust. This is not... how this was supposed to work. I was to keep her calm, try to speak to Tenno. But I was distracted by the wounded." Shame sang in her voice now. "My distraction nearly cost you your life, Abigail."

"Not your fault." Abigail said firmly. "And you?" She asked the blue skinned alien.

"I am an interface." The other said calmly. "A normal human mind cannot handle such power as you have been wielding, Abigail. I am... the bridge for you until you can learn to use the power yourself. If you choose to. If not? I will fade away in time."

"Why?" Abigail asked weakly. "Why give me the choice?"

"Because as we see it the only person who has the right to choose what you do..." Olim said firmly. "...is you." He shrugged as Abigail looked at him. "I am willing to bet your body was altered to hide you. To give you a chance to start a new life if you wish." Both the Tau and the Hospitaller nodded. "You do not have to choose now, Abigail." Olim said quickly as Abigail hissed in fear. "We just wanted to make sure you were okay."

"And check for traps." Abigail's voice was firmer now.

"That too." Olim chuckled a little "But I am trying not to be tacky." He ignored Riana's mutter of 'trying'.

"I do not think I am a trap." Abigail said slowly. Her eyes going distant. "But there are trackers... odd trackers..."

"Abrahaim does not trust anyone." Sister Abigail said heavily. "Space Marines are trained not to. One reason it is impossible to ambush a Space Marine. All you do is fulfill their expectations."

"Just to be clear here..." Olim said slowly. "You know that you are figures from a game?" His tone was very careful.

"We..." The Tau waved to the Hospittaler who nodded. "Are mental constructs based off the thirty fifth edition rules of the Warhammer 40000 tabletop boardgame. We are intended to help Abigail through her trials. No more. No less. If we were actually the people from that game? Sister Abigail would have had me killed for being a xeno, Abigail for being a host to a Deamon and you two for being mutants."

"I wouldn't have killed Abigail!" The Hospitaller protested. "I would turn her over to the Inquisition." The Tau just looked at her and the Hospitaller winced. "Okay, okay... point taken. And you would be converting people to your odd creed and reporting everything to your superiors. Who would then use said information to conquer."

"Words are usually cleaner than guns." Ab'gal'ui replied evenly. The Abigail on the bed just chuckled a bit wetly. "They cannot trust us, Abigail." The Tau said gently. "Not without more time. We have time. You have time."

"I was... happy." Abigail said weakly. "Part was the programming, I know. I could... feel it happening. But..."

"We are not going to program you, Abigail." Olim said firmly. "We have to be completely sure. But we do not have to be rough about it. And we can teach you about using the power you have. Or we can block it off permanently." Both the Hospitaller and Tau tensed as Abigail's face brightened. "Abigail..." Olim warned. "Do not rush into any choices. You have time." He echoed the others. "But once that choice is made, it cannot be undone. And frankly... you would miss the power as soon as it was gone. So do not make any hasty choices."

"It feels good." Abigail said weakly. "When it comes out. It feels so good. Natural. But... It isn't is it?"

"It is." Olim said with a shrug. "As far back as humans recorded history, there were craftsmen and craftswomen who 'felt' their crafts. Who could do wonders beyond any normal person's ability. Some were called geniuses. Others heretics." The Hospitaller winced at that, but everyone pretended not to notice. "Tenno take it one step farther. We can teach you how to use it and when. If you so choose."

"But not right now." Abigail said quietly as she lay back on the bed and closed her eyes.

"No." Olim agreed. "Can you wake up or do you want me to wake you?"

"I can." Abigail said quietly. "But... I... I don't know... What to do."

Just like that, the two Tenno were standing over the girl's bed in the quarantine ward. Alarms were sounding and Olim made a cut-off gesture as Abigail put her hands over her ears.

"We are okay, Iriana." Olim said aloud before Iriana could speak over the intercom. "And I have someone you need to meet. Well... three someones." He held up a hand and two holograms appeared nearby. "Healer Iriana, meet Sister Abigail of the Hospittaller Order of Serenity and Ab'gal'ui, Earth Caste technician of the Tau Empire." All three of the aspects that had resided in Abigail's head looked at him and he shrugged. "Hey, I read a lot."

"And he cheats." Riana's dry voice preceded her appearing nearby. "He had me look it all up. I am Riana by the way, his minder."

"Riana!" Olim said with injured dignity as all three other females laughed.

"Why do I get the feeling that this is going to be a very long explanation?" Iriana asked over the intercom.

"Not long at all." Abigail said with a smile. "I needed help. I asked for it and got it. If not...quite..." She stared down at herself. "...what I expected."

"At least you can laugh about it." Sister Abigail said with a smile that faded. "As dark as the game was?"

"This world is just as dark in some ways and Brother Abrahaim will make it more so."

Edited by Kalenath

Resistance

It was... not completely unforeseen, but it did happen when he least expected. It had been a day since Sister Abigail had been taken by the Tenno, hopefully to receive the help she needed, but that was not his concern now. He had done as he had been ordered. It was all he could do. He was no mender, no Apothecary. He was a Space Marine, an ender of life. An Angel of Death.

Abrahaim was fighting hard to slow a Grineer incursion on one of the colonies orbiting the once moon called Ceres when a group of humans in reasonably well put together gear started fighting beside him. They were skilled. They stayed in cover, fought as a team and used communication and coordination to negate the enemy numbers. There were not more than two squads worth of them, but they were reasonably good. Their attire and armor were rough and ready looking, but it was serviceable and their weapons were fully capable as well. They all wore an odd insignia. A circle with a diagonal line through it. It wasn't any group he knew, but he did not know much of this system.

They did not get in his way, or hinder him at all. He appreciated that. Indeed, they covered his flanks, aiding his delaying action to allow the straggling human survivors of this doomed colony to get to safety while he held the Grineer's attention. It wasn't hard to hold the clones' attention. The distinctive rapid chattering bark of his Heavy Bolter was music to his ears. Almost as musical as the screams of the clones as they were hit and died. As he fired, he spoke quietly.

'What is your life?
My honour is my life.
What is your fate?
My duty is my fate.
What is your fear?
My fear is to fail.
What is your reward?
My salvation is my reward.
What is your craft?
My craft is death.
What is your pledge?
My pledge is eternal service'

Was it his imagination that some of the humans were speaking the same lines he was? No, It wasn't. They were imitating him, drawing strength from his faith. As it should be. He was Adeptus Asartes of the Blood Angels Chapter. It did not matter what he had been before. He was one of the Emperor's sons, a champion of humanity in its darkest hours.

'The enemies of the Emperor fear many things.

They fear discovery, defeat, despair and death.

Yet there is one thing they fear above all others.

They fear the wrath of the Space Marines!'

He ran out of targets and his Heavy Bolter fell silent. No more Grineer charged. His eyes narrowed under his helmet as the humans beside him stared around warily. He had a good position, the humans had heavy cover. But if they moved forward, they would be cut to pieces.

"Do not advance!" Abrahaim commanded in their common tongue. "They will try to flank us-"

"Whoever you are!" A loud voice shouted across a suddenly silent battlefield. "Whatever you are! Meet your doom!"

Abrahaim nodded as a huge armored form appeared in the near distance. He carried a huge spiked hammer. Other Grineer life readings were apparent on his sensors, but none shone themselves. Some kind of challenge? No. Grineer had no honor. They would flank him, attack the humans from the sides or behind then swarm him. His armor and weapons were mighty, but his chief weapon was mobility. Rob him of that and even he could be overwhelmed.

"Fall back." Abrahaim commanded. "Now." He laid the Heavy Bolter down and drew his pistol and chainsword.

"We can't leave you!" One of the humans snapped as a shot rang out. The bullet hit the monstrous Grineer's armor and glanced away harmlessly.

"This is a trick to get around or behind us." Abrahaim declared. "I can escape no matter what. You cannot. Fall back. Now!" His Heavy Bolter vanished in a wash of golden light and he smiled grimly as he saw his regular Bolter replacing it. It likely would do about as much good against such heavy Grineer armor as the human's rifle had, but it was lighter and would slow him less than the heavy weapon. He picked it up, checking it automatically. The machine spirit had anticipated his needs, it was loaded with Kraken ammunition. Armor piercing. "There is no glory in pointless defeat! Go!" He thundered.

The human stared at him and then nodded jerkily. "At least tell me your name, warrior."

"I am Abrahaim." The Space Marine declared.

"Steel Meridian honors you, Warrior Abrahaim." The human said as he backed away, his rifle ready. "I wish we could reward you as you deserve."

"Duty is its own reward." Abrahaim said calmly as he scrutinized his foe. Then the humans were gone. "I am Abrahaim of the Blood Angels." He declared to the huge Grineer as he strode forward, bolter ready. But no other Grineer showed themselves. The newcomer hefted his hammer.

"I am Lieutenant Lech Kril!" The massive Grineer said firmly. "And my hammer awaits your skull!" He seemed to still as  Abrahaim stepped closer and it was immediately apparent that the Blood Angel was just as big as Kril if not a little bigger. "Finally! A worthy foe!"

"Worthy?" Abrahaim hawed and spat. "You are a filthy clone. A mutant and heretic both. In what possible way could you or any of your degenerate breed ever hope to match a true Space Marine?" He slung his bolter and drew his chainsword. It revved in his hand. Ready.

"You are powerful." The other said as the two goliaths started to circle, sizing one another up. "Why aid the bases? You owe them nothing!"

"You are Grineer." Abrahaim said quietly. "You will never understand. For that? You have my pity." The other froze but Abrahaim was not done. "I will grant you the Emperor's blessing. And if I meet another copy of you? I will do the same. As I will for each and every one of your filthy kind!"

"You are one! We are many!" Lech Kril snapped.

"You are flawed." Abrahaim replied. "Cheap, flawed copies. I will grant you the mercy you desire." His chainsword was up and ready.

"All I desire is your death!" Krill screamed as he charged. "The Queens demand it!"

"Your queens can kiss my butt." Abrahaim replied easily as he slid aside from the ponderous blow, deftly slicing his sword at vulnerable looking parts that hung off the Grineer's body armor. Two hoses flopped loose, some kind of coolant flying freely. Abrahaim's eyes narrowed as he dodged another ponderous swing. "Too slow, Grineer."

"Stand and fight, coward!" Kril snarled as he tried an overhead slam that hit the deck and sent shockwaves through it, but those did nothing to the other armored form who lashed out and tore another tube off his enemy's backpack thing. "Die!" He screamed as he spun, but Abrahaim dropped under the hammer's arc. He lashed out, but his chainsword glanced off the heavy armor with no effect.

Power sword would be nice right now... Abrahaim thought as he slid away from the infuriated giant. Kril was obviously enraged, but he was far from uncontrolled. More like a Space Wolf berserker than an unthinking brute. That made him very dangerous. That hammer would hurt if it connected. He focused on avoiding the strikes for a moment, hoping his enemy would tire, but the huge Grineer showed no signs of fatigue. He had to end this before the other Grineer approached. Which they would. Soon.

The Space Marine took a chance and paused just for a moment. As expected, his opponent took the chance for an overhead swing. Abrahaim dodged the blow, but the shockwave still sent ripples through him as it hit the floor...and stuck! The Space Marine did not hesitate, he struck with all the wrath and fury of an Adeptus Asartes. Kril gave a scream as the chainsword bit deep, deep into his backpack, severing the last of the hose like things before biting deeper and deeper. Kril jerked, trying to pull his hammer out of where it was tuck and at the same time, trying to fend off the rending teeth of the chainsword. But he could not do both and in moments, the sword was through the armor's back mounted housing and biting deep into cloned flesh.

A pulse of energy came from the armor and Abrahaim tucked himself into a ball to roll with it as it tossed him back and away from the now rising Kril. Was it the Marine's imagination that the Grineer was shaking as he finally managed to pull his hammer free? No. The Grineer was moving slowly. Red was falling from the rent backpack in sheets as Kril tried to raise his hammer again and it fell from nerveless fingers.

"No..." Kril said with a snarl as he stumbled. "Not... not possible..." Abrahaim rose and set himself, but his enemy fell to his knees and stayed there. "Not..."

"Nothing is impossible." Abrahaim replied coldly as he raised the chainsword again. The Grineer spat at him and then screamed once as the chainsword came down on the vulnerable neck of the armor. The whine of metal teeth tearing through metal armor was ear-splitting, but music to the Space Marine's ears. "My faith is my shield! My fury is my sword." The head of the armored titan fell off.

"Not bad." Another voice sounded and Abrahaim spun, sword up. But the two Grineer looking at him did not attack. Indeed, both were just watching. Both female. He knew them. Ven'kra Tal was shaking her head. "Kril always does fight more with balls than brains, but not bad at all."

"The enemies of man will fall before us." Abrahaim said sharply as he unslung his boltgun.

"I knew I knew your voice from somewhere." Ven'Kra Tal said quietly. "The aberrant scout." She... did not move to attack. Trap. This was a trap. Abrahaim glanced left and right, but nothing shone. "I am not here to fight. I am here to talk." The other did not move, but her Manticore axe was in hand.

"If that is a joke..." Abrahaim said coldly. "It is not funny. Grineer do not talk. They take. You know how this must end. Do not waste my time, Grineer."

"You are not human." Ven'Kra Tal said calmly. "Not a base. So why fight for them?" She sounded honestly curious. "Why throw your life away for them?"

"Why throw your life away for your Queens?" The Space Marine countered. There! Enemy life signs all around him, closing in. But not attacking? Why? Then he tensed. They wanted him to flee. So they could follow him, track him to his base. He slowly relaxed. "Interesting plan."

"We are Grineer." Ven'kra Tal said calmly. "Serving is what we were made for. What we were made for."

"We do share that then, if nothing else." Abrahaim agreed calmly.

"You were Grineer." The female sniper said quietly. "We will find out what happened to you. We will find that pocket of the Void again."

"You will find nothing." Abrahaim said with a snort. "Not that I expect any of you clones to be able to find your asses with both hands and a map." The soldier with the Manticore surged forward and Abrahaim smiled under his helmet as she charged.

"Sprag!" The other screamed, but it was too late as Abrahaim met her charge halfway.

He... hurt.

All of the Grineer had fallen. But he was hurt. It had taken concentrated pounding from several heavy weapons including the leader's sniper rifle, but his armor had finally been penetrated. It hadn't done them much good. All of the Grineer lay still behind him as the wounded Space Marine stumbled from the battleground.

I... am... Adeptus Asartes... Abrahaim snarled at his own weakness. I will not surrender to anyone or anything. I will accomplish my mission! I will not let them track me.

He had to evade whatever they were using to try and track him. That was the only possible explanation for his survival. A platoon of heavy weapons led by two powerful Hellions should have killed him. They wanted him alive, so they could find out where his base of operations was. He would not oblige them.

"There!" A shout went up behind him and Abrahaim spun to see a wave of Grineer approaching. "Take it! Alive! The Queens demand answers!"

"I answer to my Emperor, not your filthy Queens!" Abrahaim retorted, jacking a round into his boltgun. He had few remaining however and his chainsword had been damaged by the Manticore wielding clone. He stepped forward, knowing his death was coming, but accepting it. As he moved, he sang.

Without the Dark, there can be no Light,
We have purpose
Without the Lie, there can be no Truth,
We have purpose
Without the War, there can be no Victory,
We have purpose
Without the Death, there can be no sacrifice,
We have purpose
Without the Hope there can be no Future,
We have purpose
Without the Loyalty there can be no one chapter,
We have purpose
Without the Emperor, there is nothing,...
And we would have no purpose

Abrahaim was ready for death. Every Space Marine was. Their job was not to survive. Their job was ensure victory. Death was a certainty for each and every Space Marine. Against fifty Grineer, with his weapons damaged and armor rent and torn? He was dead. But he would die fighting as befitted an Adeptus Asartes. He stepped forward to meet his death.

But... death did not come for him!

Abrahaim went still as the shadows behind the Grineer came to life. Four dark humanoid forms stepped out into the light. Before the half a hundred Grineer could realize they were under attack from behind, three Tenno were in their midst! Blades flashed and firearms roared.

A huge white form was swinging a long, two bladed staff. A form with golden hoops on its helmet was firing calmly and coolly, each shot ending two or three clones. Another was tossing small spherical things that sizzled and threw lightning. Another pulled many Grineer into a whirling ball of energy and he shot them with an odd looking miniature crossbow. It wasn't even close to an even fight. Another, this one white with blue markings on its -her- armor, stepped close, her posture worried. Abrahaim shook his head.

"The humans?" The Space Marine asked, keeping unconsciousness at bay through sheer force of will. The Tenno made a gesture he interpreted as 'safe'. "Good. That is... good." Abrahaim said as he turned to go. "Fare thee well." He paused as she laid a hand on his arm. "I must go. They will track me." She shook her head and he shrugged. "Only in Death does duty end and my duty is to this reality's remnants of humanity!" Abrahaim said sharply.

But then he knew no more.

"Alicia?" Karl asked as the last Grineer fell to his Orthos Prime.

"He is alive." The team medic said as she knelt by the sorely hurt red armored from. "I have no idea how. This stuff is... definitely Orokin tech. but... odd." She was working fast. "We need to get out of here. Can we digitize him in this? I don't know..."

"Not safely." Olim said as he shook his Dual Kama to clean them. "I have disabled the trackers I have detected, but I may not have gotten them all. The armor is shielding him from most scans, digitizing him may only take parts." All four Tenno winced at that.

"Then we carry him." Karl said with no room for argument. "Is it safe to move him?"

"I don't know, Karl." Alicia said weakly. "This is... Half the organs I detect are not in my databanks. I have no idea what they do, if anything."

"According to the game, Space Marines had extensive bioengineered implants." Olim said as he moved to stand by the fallen warrior in red. "Stands to reason that anyone making one would have something to do similar things. But wherever we take him, we have to prove to him, fast, that he is not a prisoner. Or it will get very messy."

"Right." Karl agreed. "The dojo then."

"Karl." Olim was not arguing, not really as he took one side of the fallen red giant and Karl the other. Alicia was scanning as they lifted the still form and started off with him. "We need someone who he will talk to. Someone who he can trust." He paused. "Abigail."

"You cannot be serious!" Karl said sternly. "You really think taking him to the hospital is a good idea?"

"No." Olim agreed. "But... Abigail needs to talk to the Special Forces anyway and she knows him. Or part of her does. So..."

"I am no diplomat!" Karl said sternly. "And that tower is... still forming. We cannot interfere."

"Karl, we have interfered." Alicia said calmly as she kept her scans. Ric maintained a rearguard, rifle ready, but no Grineer showed. "We will get him checked, then take him there. And yes, I think Abigail to talk to him. Part of her understands how he thinks."

"And Cecelia." Ric said quietly. All three of the others looked at him and he shrugged."She is a horrid liar and knows it. I will stay with her."

"I need to work with Quais." Olim agreed. "And you need to get him briefed in, Karl."

"Dojo first for checks and to pick up everyone." Karl said sourly. "Then tower. I will take Quais with me to report to Eliza, then we can work from there. Do not leave him alone with Abigail or Cecelia. But... A guest, not a prisoner."

"As long as he realizes that." Olim agreed. "We are fine. If he doesn't? We have problems."

"Ya think?"

Oooooh someone's going to be mad when he wakes up.  I can't wait :)

Not if Sister Abigail can help it.

EVERYONE knows what he is now and EVERYONE is frankly a bit worried about this.

Considering that he took Kril, Ven'Kra Tal AND Sprag all by himself along with a platoon of others? I would be too.

O man... Getting 2 brainwashed people, who think they're WH40K characters, into the same room. Seems almost funny... Almost.

*Yes i know Abigail probably knows whats going now.

P.S. Wait... Abigail's name is not inspired by the Hannibal serries, is it Kal?

Edited by undernown

O man... Getting 2 brainwashed people, who think they're WH40K characters, into the same room. Seems almost funny... Almost.

*Yes i know Abigail probably knows whats going now.

P.S. Wait... Abigail's name is not inspired by the Hannibal serries, is it Kal?

No, she was not.

Pure

"This is... not a good idea."

The woman who spoke looked a bit uncomfortable in the armor she was wearing. No one blamed her at all. It was not every day that a half healed member of the Corpus Special Forces was asked to wear armor from a game. The Imperial Guard flak armor fit her well enough, but it did not hide the bandages that she still wore and would for some time. Violet had been very badly hurt. The armor was functional enough, Violet had to admit that, if not vacuum resistant or as strong as her normal Special Forces armor.

But it was what else was in the room that had everyone's undivided attention. Two Tenno stood by the sole door, both armed. Neither had weapons ready, but both were on edge. Abrahaim slept. The Blood Angel lay on a metal slab that was reinforced to hold his mass. His wounds had been tended and his armor was repairing itself.

The room itself was huge and airy. Gothic in style with stained glass windows and high flying buttresses holding up a painted ceiling. Abigail had directed the construction and decoration of the 'Apothecarion' to Sister Abigail's memories. The huge image of the golden armored figure who stood in the main window was either protective or prohibitive. It was hard to tell which. According to Sister Abigail, that was the point. The Emperor was both a father figure and a guardian for the Imperium of Man in the game.  

"You insisted on being here, Violet." Abigail said with a small smile. But then she frowned as her hands flew over odd looking controls and machinery worked on the still red armored form. "This feels... very strange. Not to be in control." She paused and grimaced. "Yes, yes, I know..." She said sourly to someone who could not be seen. "All right. Your turn, Sister Abigail."

Violet tried not to jerk as the woman in armor in front of her seemed to swell a bit. No. She simply stood up straighter, firmer. More confident.

"Operative Violet." The voice coming from Abigail now was...different. More melodic? Or at least older and wiser. Maybe sadder. "You are a witness only. Do nothing or he will take it wrong. If that happens, there will be nothing for us to save. And your injuries are still there, if healing. Do not make me sedate you." She warned.

"That is so wrong." Violet said with a shiver. "Three of you in one body. And a body I don't really know. And then... this..." She nodded to where the huge red form lay.

"None of us know how this came to pass." Sister Abigail said, a frown furrowing her features. "And you will not ask." She commanded. Violet made a face, but nodded. "He will not take it well if you do." She paused and then stepped back. "He is waking. Back. Now." The Sister put words into action, taking three steps away from the table as one huge red armored fist clenched a little. "Brother Abrahaim? Your wounds have been tended."

"Sister Abigail?" The Space Marine asked slowly as he turned his head from side to side. "Where am I?"

"You are in an Orokin Tower." The Sister replied. "And yes, they helped the girl. We are finding our way with the Emperor's light as our torch."

"Not my concern." Abrahaim said quietly as he sat up, armor servos whining. He looked down at himself and then around. "Your work?"

"Some." The Sister replied calmly. She nodded to where Violet stood frozen. "This is Violet, an operative of the being known as the Lotus. She decided Imperial Guard armor would be less threatening than her normal attire." Abrahaim nodded as his gaze landed on the two Tenno who watched him. "They keep tight security here." She said quietly.

"Wise in these dark times." The Space Marine said as he slid his legs from the table and stood slowly. He stretched a little, the armor moving easily. "So... now what?" He asked.

"Now that you are awake..." The sister said calmly. "Any impairment?" She asked clinically. The Space Marine shook his head and she nodded. "Then you are free to go."

"Just like that?" Abrahaim asked as both Tenno moved away from the door.

"They would like answers." Sister Abigail said quietly. "But no one is stupid enough to try to interrogate you."

"I do not have any answers, Sister." The Blood Angel replied just as quietly. "I have a mission. No more, no less."

"I know." Sister Abigail said sadly. "May I ask...?"

"What do you wish to know?" The Marine replied as he stood.

"What happened to you?" The Sister Hospitaller asked carefully. "You seem... off."

"I am. I was a clone before the Emperor found me and chose me." The Marine said calmly. Both Tenno stilled and he nodded to them. "Yes, a Grineer. An aberrant one. Useless dross to be thrown away. I was sent into the Void to scout. What I found...was not what I expected."

"You were found." Sister Abigail said, her voice reverent and the Space Marine nodded to her.

"Found. Weighed. Measured and judged worthy. Torn down and remade." Abrahaim agreed. "I do not know if it was real or a fever dream or some kind of psyker vision. But it happened. The Emperor chose me to be Adeptus Asartes. I accepted the burden. I was remade into who I am now." Both Tenno nodded to him and he looked at Violet who was shaking her head slowly. "Yes?"

"I am trying to wrap my head around this." Violet admitted. "It is obvious to anyone with eyes and ears that you believe what you do. That your mission is to help save this system. But..." She shook her head again. "I want to believe. But my faith has been abused."

"I am not a chaplain, Operative Violet." Abrahaim said quietly. "All I am is what you see. A weapon. A tool of the Emperor to defend humanity. No more, no less."

"I disagree." All eyes turned to a door that opened and  small dark haired girl stepped in, a covered tray in her hands. "Adeptes Asartes are more than mere weapons. More than human."

"And less." Abrahaim replied and waited.

"I am Cecelia." The young woman said quietly. "A... seeker of knowledge."

"That path is dangerous." Abrahaim said, her posture still. "Dark things lurk in such."

"Secrets are hidden for a reason in many cases." Cecelia agreed. "I am no inquisitor, to ferret out the truth by any means fair or foul. I would say I am a scribe. A historian."

"History can be marvelous or dangerous." Abrahaim said slowly. "Too much information can kill as surely as too little."

"That I know far too well." The girl replied as she set the tray on the floor. "Your sword was destroyed. We could not repair it." She slid the cover off the tray and his pistol and boltgun lay on it. Along with something else. "We have repaired what we could and leave them with you. We will not leave you unweaponed."

"Scribe Cecelia..." Abrahaim stared at the gauntlet with its five long curved talons. "I cannot accept that." Adeptes Asartes could not, would not, take gifts from just anyone.

"I know." Cecelia agreed. "Will you accept the plans and resources to make one of your own?"

"Why?" Abrahaim asked, not moving.

"Because you have made a difference." Cecelia said quietly. "Space Marines are defenders of man. We may not always agree on what must be done or how, but we do know when we meet fellow defenders."

"You...are Tenno...?" The Space Marine asked carefully, looking at the two warframes.

"Not exactly." Cecelia said sadly. "I am partnered with one and a member of a clan of Tenno. But my own circumstances are odd as well. They do not speak in the field. It is a matter of tradition as well as a weapon against their foes."

"Ah." Abrahaim nodded.

"I have no such traditions, so I can make a good go between." Cecelia said with a nod of her own. "The Tenno would honor you with a gift to help defend this system against the enemies of man. You cannot accept the weapon itself, but can you accept the wherewithal to make one? To bear with the knowledge that you do not stand alone against the enemies of man here?"

"Sister Abigail?" Abrahaim asked slowly. "Do you vouch for these?"

"They have been far kinder than they needed to be." Sister Abigail said formally. "Far, far kinder than the Inquisitions would be. They have acted with honor in all of their dealings with me. I do not know if they would do as well with you."

"Fairly said." Abrahaim shook his head. "But I cannot-" He paused as Abigail bent down to pick up the gauntlet. "Sister..." He said mildly as she staggered under it's mass.

"I sense no traps or trackers." The Sister said quietly. "My... other parts have an affinity for such things. They concur. This is a gift." She bent down on one knee and offered it to him. "For the Emperor."

The Blood Angel stared at her for along moment and then slowly reached out and slid his hand into the gauntlet's opening. As energy started to crackle, she released the lightning claw and he hefted it to stare at it.

"This will fare well against heavy armor." Abrahaim said with a nod. "Thank you, Tenno. The Emperor's foes will rue this day."

"You are free to go, Brother Abrahaim." Cecelia said as both of the Tenno bowed to him and left the room. "There are no blocks or trackers. Feel free to teleport wherever you wish. You will not be followed."

"Why not?" Abrahaim asked as Sister Abigail rose to stand with Violet and Cecelia. "Tenno have abilities that I do not. Why not track me?"

"Because Tenno have enough enemies." Cecelia said with a nod. "The Grineer are massing and we will respond. It is what we do. Those of us who are not warriors will support those of us who are."

"Well thought." Abrahaim said after a moment. "And me?"

"You do well enough on your own when not ambushed by overwhelming numbers." Violet said with a shrug. "We know better than to get in your way."

"I am not one for double talk." Abrahaim said quietly. "What do you wish?"

"I wish for us not to work at cross purposes." Violet said formally. "So far, we have done well to stay out of each other's way. But you have acted very circumspectly on occasion when you did not need to. We need to coordinate our efforts. At the very least, to keep from hindering each other."

"Coordination can be a deadly danger." Abrahaim disagreed calmly. "If two disparate elements attempt to coordinate, things often go amiss."

"I agree." Violet said with a nod. "Hence why I am offering myself as a conduit." Abrahaim froze, looking at her and she nodded. "Just so we understand one another. I am a soldier, if not your equal or theirs..." She nodded to the Tenno. "I know the enemies of this time and place. I serve the Lotus, and I serve humanity." She bent to one knee. "Use me if you will."

"You know not what you ask." Abrahaim said slowly, looking around. Cecelia would not meet his eyes but her face was sad. Abigail met his gaze calmly. "She... You... What have you told her, Sister Abigal?"

"I have told her what will happen if she becomes a Sister." Abigail said sadly. "She seems to wish it."

"No." Abrahaim snapped, his voice stern. "She is not of our faith, Sister. She cannot know what it is she seeks."

"I want to believe." Violet said softly. "I see your faith and the Sister's... and I am reminded of what I was once. Before..." She shook her head. "I want to believe."

"I cannot impose belief." Abrahaim said firmly. "Only the Inquisition uses such tactics and they are beneath an Adeptus Asartes. I found my own way. So must you." Violet looked at Abigail who shook her head.

"I am... who I am, Operative Violet." Abigail said sadly. "I serve the Emperor. But I cannot hear him anywhere except in my own mind. My own faith. I cannot give you my faith. All I can do is try to show you the way. Brother Abrahaim's way is not for us." Violet bowed her head slowly.

"I give apology." Violet said quietly. "So many betrayals. So much death and destruction. I... I wish I was who I was once. When I was young and the world was a simpler place. But that girl is long gone." She went still as Abrahaim laid a hand on her shoulder. It was gentle, that huge armored hand.

"You will find your way, Operative Violet." The Space Marine said quietly. "Be true to yourself and hold your own counsel. Look within, not without." He patted her shoulder and then knelt to retrieve his pistol and rifle. "I thank you for your assistance. And Scribe Cecelia...?"

"Yes?" Cecelia asked.

"Be wary of what you seek." The Space Marine warned her. "You just might find it."

"I know my limits." Cecelia said with a nod. "And I do not walk alone. But your warning is taken, Brother Abrahaim."

"Fare thee well." The Space Marine said as he keyed his teleporter and vanished in a haze of golden energy. Only after he was gone did both of the other female turn on Violet who wilted under their gaze.

"I..." The former Corpus Special forces operative started to speak and then cut herself off. She slumped a bit and took off the helmet.

"You need rest, Violet." Cecelia's voice was neutral. "Or the docs will get annoyed with you. Again." Her last word was sour and Violet cringed a little. It was really no laughing matter. She chafed under the restrictions that had been placed on her. She pushed herself far too hard and far too fast. It was who and what she was. She held out a hand that Violet eyed.

"I want to help!" Violet said sharply. "That is all. Help! I am stuck here until this crap heals. All of my compatriots are out fighting. I want..." She broke off as Abigail stepped forward. "No..." She stepped back from the armored healer who had a hypo in hand now. "Don't."

"Violet." Cecelia took another step forward and Violet retreated another step. "You hurt yourself every time. We will not allow you to keep hurting yourself. And asking Abrahaim to alter you... Violet..." She scolded. "He knew you were not sincere."

"I was." Violet's voice was tiny and both women advancing on her paused. "I want to believe, okay?" She demanded. "I see your belief..." She waved at Cecelia "I see her belief..." She waved at Abigail. "And I remember who I was... once. So long ago. I want to be good. I want to believe. But... I can't anymore."

"Violet..." Sister Abigail's voice was sad now. "What I believe doesn't make sense. I am a construct. A mental overlay. Nothing more. My faith was imposed on me. I know no other way to be. You... have the choice." She reached out to slowly touch the hypo to Violet's neck and caught the now crying woman as she fell.

"I...wanna... believe..." Violet managed to croak out as consciousness fled. Sister Abigail hefted the unconscious human woman easily and carried her towards the door. Cecelia followed. Both Tenno had vanished.

Outside of the room they had tended Abrahaim in, the decor was pure Orokin. Sister Abigail carried Vioelt through another door and laid her on a bed that was surrounded by medical equipment. Cecelia followed and waited while Sister Abigail ran some scan. Then the sister sighed.

"She hurt herself again." The Hospitaller said with a half groan, half snarl. "It is times like this I wish I was a chaplain. A Canoness maybe." She complained as she worked. "Aid her body? I can do that. Mend a soul? I know not the way. My own faith I cannot give her. It is not real."

"It is real enough for you." Cecelia said quietly. The Sister Hospittaler paused as Cecelia stepped up and slowly wrapped her arms around the frozen medic. "If there is one thing Tenno have learned, it is not to trample on other people's beliefs. We have no one creed that we follow and we still have trouble occasionally."

"If there is one thing Man can do, it is find causes that divide us, tear us from the Emperor's light." Sister Abigail patted Cecelia's shoulder and turned back to the sleeping operative. "I will do what I can, but Abigail and Ab'gal'ui are needed as well. Abigail needs training."

"There is a teacher available." Cecelia said quietly. Sister Abigail looked at her and Cecelia nodded. "Not here. She has another student. One who is ill but recovering. She cannot come, so you must go."

"Will I know where?" This was Abigail's voice. Cecelia shook her head and Abigail slumped a bit. "You... shouldn't take the chance."

"You are vouched for." Cecelia said with a shrug. "But security will be very tight. Step out of line and they will shoot first and probably not ask questions later."

"I understand." Abigail said with a slow nod. "Do I get her name? This teacher?" Cecelia smiled.

"You know of her." The girl wore an urchinlike grin now. "Her name is Lis."

Oh...dear...

Oracle Janet lay in her pool of healing fluid and tried not to fret. Her attendants were dutiful, tending her, keeping her company in her infirmity. She was recovering, if nowhere near as quickly as she had hoped.

"Juliet?" Janet said quietly.

"Yes, Oracle!" The response was immediate and Janet tried not to sigh. She was trying to get them to call her by name, but it was an uphill battle.

"I need a quick communication to someone on Mercury. As untraceable as you can make it." The Oracle said as others of her white robed attendants perked up. She hadn't wanted them to dress that way either, but they had taken to the roles as if born to them. She thought it... amused them to play the parts of 'prophetesses'. If only they knew...

"Of course." Juliet said with a nod. As a former Clergy operative, she had access to all kinds of secure communication systems. "Who?"

"I need to talk to Shepherd."

Edited by Kalenath

First thing that comes to mind from the name "Abigail" is Infamous Second Son(awesome game btw)

Also is Shepherd old character or a new one? If he is a old one i need another recap for i haven't heard of him.

Shepherd is a chaplain of sorts I introduced in 'Old Dreams'

I am going to need to write a 'Dramatis Personae' file, aren't I?

IIRC...

Shepherd was the leader of the hidden colony that that Diplomant Ship AI Elena Greensky took refuge in, where Janet, then a Tenno Intelligence Operative, was captured and used a means of time travel by way of genetic ancestry to someone who was in close proximity of the tragedy Elena Greensky caused in the past and seeked to avert in the present  Later in the story, Karl's group had to escort Elena Greensky to a location close to the colony and beat off a grineer offensive encroaching the colony before getting Elena Greensky to the target location.

But I keep adding cool characters... *sigh* Guess I need to kill some off now... *double sigh*

You say(type) that so coldly! HAVE YOU NO HEART. *shivers*

Just kidding :p. After GoT you build up some resistence to it. ;)

Its your story anyway, we're just along for the (painful) ride.