Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Color Toggle For Prime Warframes / Weapons

Educated_Beast

EDIT BASED ON FEEDBACK BELOW:

There is confussion based on "lore" that I have never seen.  Apparently, the gold on weapons and frames is supposed to be "alive" and not just decoration.  If that is true, there is still no reason not to allow coloring.  Here are some points to consider:

-- There are many different colors of gold depending on purity (red, yellow, green, white, blue, purple, etc.):  Here is a link with adequate proof http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored_gold

-- Even if the gold itself is not an intermetallic compound, even todays technology can paint it! Imagine how much better the paint of the future is.  Dont like paint, anodized metals come in all colors imaginable. But I'm just asking for the basics (black, red, white, chrome, silver, bronze, copper, nickel, etc.). 

http://inmyownstyle.com/2013/08/spray-painting-metal-hardware-brass-to-nickel.html

-- But wait, some people below claim the lore states it is not actually gold but some Orikin living metal, a genetic material that has a gold appearance.  So?  There is no way to back yourself into a corner when it comes to fantasy lore.  All we need here is a genetic prime color template.  This color template actually changes the organic structure of your frames / prime weapons to allow editing the base color by altering DNA.

-- To do this modification, you would have to purchase a color template from DE.  Set it to 100 platinum, I don't care.  I'd pay 200 to be able to change my prime frames colors.  Regaurdless of the price, it will get sales, it will benifit DE, and it will benifit players who enjoy the customization.  It is win/win, there are no losers here. 

-- The base color would stay gold.  If you like the disco / gangster bling bling look, you get to keep it and do not have to do anything.  For the players that enjoy freedom and customizing each peice of gear, they will be in heaven. 

ORIGINAL POST

Please allow all prime weapons and warframes to toggle their base gold color. I am not a fan of all the bling bling. I know some people like it so I am not asking for it to be removed, but just have the ability to tweak. Prime weapons greatly out power non - prime so you have to use (I personally think boltor looks way cooler than Boltor prime).

It adds more variability and would encourage purchasing color packets. Heck, you could even release a prime color package to swap to other metals (silver, chrome, bronze, red, black, etc.).

Now even warframes have boosted stats that give slight advantage over non prime. We are being forced into a cookie cutter look. Please give us options.

I'd be happy to buy a prime color package!

P.s. paris prime is hideous (IMO), not to mention completely illogical to use gold as a metal for a weapon...

Edited by Educated_Beast

Primes are Primes because they have Golden Bits

Asking for an option to remove them is equal to asking for removal of Trinity's Lobster Tail, Rhino's Codpiece or Embolist's wiggly tail.

Actually, if I remember correctly the answer is quite close to this. Basically the Prime gear has those golden bits as an artistic/design choice, so asking for it to be changed is similar to asking for Nova's neck to be shortened; while some may have their reasons to ask for it, it is most likely not going to be done.

nope to da painting of goooooooold

I just do not understand why anyone would be against this. At most you see someone else's frame for about 5 seconds after loading screen (assuming not skipped), then the occasional glance at the pod on defense missions. All the customization is for the player who sees it 100% of the time playing.

I am not advocating to remove gold. They can still come as gold. Rather I'm advocating DE sells a new color packet called "prime metals".

In this packet would be gold, silver, bronze, chrome, and many anodized metals (reds blues, whites, etc).

Everyone wins. The guys the like the bling still start off with it. The guys that want the ninja look (or any other look for that matter), get it, and DE makes some platinum sales as I guarantee this would be popular.

Not really. Orokin (DE) designed their weapons with Golden Bits.

DE designed Valkyr with shackles.

DE designed Zephyr with the chest feathers

DE designed Jat Kittag with flames

Asking to have an option to change the colour of Golden Bits is equal to asking for neon, rave bracelets for Valkyr instead of her shackles. Or bikini top instead of feathers for Zephyr. Or a "LOLOLOLOLOLOL" trail instead of flames for Jat Kittag.

Primes were designed to be incrusted with gold, and they should remain exactly that way. Primes with Chrome Bits, Brass Bits or Metallic Green Bits would no longer be Primes.

That's one part where lore says no pretty firmly. The whole Orokin technology is based on golden "living metal", as they described it at some point. So everything made by Orokin must have gold on it. You can't have an Orokin item without gold parts.

Frost Prime and Mag Prime kinda break the lore there. Should be fixed. Maybe all alt helmets on Primes should automatically have certain parts colored gold?

That's one part where lore says no pretty firmly. The whole Orokin technology is based on golden "living metal", as they described it at some point. So everything made by Orokin must have gold on it. You can't have an Orokin item without gold parts.

Frost Prime and Mag Prime kinda break the lore there. Should be fixed. Maybe all alt helmets on Primes should automatically have certain parts colored gold?

Seriously, lore. So you can't paint over it? Once painted it becomes something else. That makes no since.

If they will not allow customization and create an environment everyone enjoys (my color choice has zero effect on you), prime warframe should not have any advantage over non prime (other than the extra polarization).

But that is not the case, nyx has better armor, rhino faster, all weapons vastly superior. I get it, you grind for it and they should have tweaks.

I'd just like to be able to paint over the gold I find as ugly. Why do you insist on affecting my game play like it affects yours. You can still keep your gold.

I'd use advanced Tenno technology that alters the appearance without effecting it's base properties. You know, like this substance we have now called paint. :)

Since nothing is more frustrating than the annoyance of a good example, here is some proof it can be done with today's technology.

http://inmyownstyle.com/2013/08/spray-painting-metal-hardware-brass-to-nickel.html

This took me about 30 seconds to find. Not only is the lore argument illogical, it's frustrating that people like you want to regulate how people like me would like to play.

I like freedom, you seem to relish in restrictions. My solution would allow you to keep your setup with no changes. Mine would generate income for DE, allow greater customization, and have zero effect on anyone other than the player who would be happier.

Imaginary lore is easy to tweak, you use your imagination.

Edited by Educated_Beast

I completely agree with you, OP.

Unfortunately this has been asked many times (included by me) and it has never warranted a real response from DE.

They're art teams are stuck in the 70's Disco era when it comes to Prime gear color schemes/ design. Sad but true.

That bothers me and my mind can't seem to turn it off.  Here is an idea:  There are many different colors of gold depending on purity:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored_gold

But wait, did we say living gold?  If so, then it is not actually gold because gold is an inanimate object covered in general chemistry, not organic chemistry.  Assumming what the guys above me said are true about "lore" and "living gold", then it is not actually gold at all.  It is a genetic material that has a gold appearance.  Well, then the lore is simple to fix.  Add a "genetic prime" color template.  This color template actually changes the DNA structure of your frames / prime weapons to allow editing the base color. 

Bam problem solved.  If it is gold it can be painted.  If it is some living material, its DNA can be modified.  DE could even make a special event map easily by chaning this color scheme for some event where the Orkin used silver instead of gold. 

Just let us change the color scheme!  Based on responces from this thread, random pubs, and players in my clan, I'd say at least half of the player base would enjoy changing the color scheme of primes. 

Personally, I'd love a black / silver (or chrome) scheme on many frames.  But I'd support anything that offers customization.  Call it paint, call it DNA manipulations, call it a color pallet, I do not care. 

That bothers me and my mind can't seem to turn it off.  Here is an idea:  There are many different colors of gold depending on purity:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored_gold

But wait, did we say living gold?  If so, then it is not actually gold because gold is an inanimate object covered in general chemistry, not organic chemistry.  Assumming what the guys above me said are true about "lore" and "living gold", then it is not actually gold at all.  It is a genetic material that has a gold appearance.  Well, then the lore is simple to fix.  Add a "genetic prime" color template.  This color template actually changes the DNA structure of your frames / prime weapons to allow editing the base color. 

Bam problem solved.  If it is gold it can be painted.  If it is some living material, its DNA can be modified.  DE could even make a special event map easily by chaning this color scheme for some event where the Orkin used silver instead of gdold. 

Just let us change the color scheme!  Based on responces from this thread, random pubs, and players in my clan, I'd say at least half of the player base would enjoy changing the color scheme of primes. 

Personally, I'd love a black / silver (or chrome) scheme on many frames.  But I'd support anything that offers customization.  Call it paint, call it DNA manipulations, call it a color pallet, I do not care.

This guy... This.Guy.

End thread right here... It's the perfect solution, and if DE won't implement this to appease 1,000's of players then they really don't care.

Excellent idea fellow Tenno!

Honestly, I would be happy if they allowed alternate skins to be made available on their prime counterparts. They already do this with the prime Warframes, and several other non-prime weapons can use their alternate skins. I don't see why the prime variants can't.

Edited by Zyion

Bam problem solved.  If it is gold it can be painted.  If it is some living material, its DNA can be modified.  DE could even make a special event map easily by chaning this color scheme for some event where the Orkin used silver instead of gold. 

Totally agree with this.

This also could actually extend the lore if we say, that different groups of the Orokin used different colours to represent themselves amongst the others. The golden colour we use could be just the colour of the biggest group of the Orokin.

Edited by DesertTrooper

I agree on the ugliness for some weapons but I must humbly -1 you due to lore reasons. Sorry.

I updated the original thread topic just for you.  I imagine you read the first line but not the whole thread.  Lore is easy to manipulate, its fantasy lore.  It actually makes more since it can be changed than it is static. 

Where is this lore anyway? 

Let's face it; the lore in this game is pretty weak. It's not really that hard to add a tint colour 4 for Prime frames amd weaps, and it won't really be much of a hassle introducing paint onto the game....

Although, what I'd like to see more would be the capability of using the skins of normal weapons for the Prime weapons. I wanna use Paris Prime so bad, bit I can barely stand to look at that thing.

• 2 months later...

As I faced my first Prime weapon (Paris), the very first thing which made me sad was clipping (yes, it's always been there but paris...), and not the golden shine. But after some time playing with colors and reading this thread I have some suggestions about the color toggle:

- in-game palettes should allow a player to become a self-made designer and show off his artistic style. And people buy these for 75 pl., but they become useless when a player gets Prime content and becomes a hostage of some supreme designer running a gold fever. It is simply inconceivable from the point of view of the designer.

- "But lore..." Nothing against it. True Prime should be golden? As you wish. Just give players a chance to stare at royal lead and platinum shine, or whatever. Turn golden Prime skins into a very rare drop, cut the stats of half-blooded, grineer-made, untrue, mixed metal "prime" wannabes. Simple and justified.  

Thanks in advance, DE.

And Happy New Year!

Edited by epic_fail_guy