Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Silva And Aegis Mechanic Addition

Renegade343

Hello all,

This thread will be detailing a mechanic addition (and some tweaks to compensate) to the Silva and Aegis to make it act more like a sword and shield type weapon. The content is below: 

The Silva and Aegis is a sword and shield weapon that deals (do not know why) pure Fire Damage. While its stats are alright, it feels like its shield is not doing its intended job, besides from being another weapon to throw about (i.e.: Offhand weapon instead of acting as an actual shield). Thus, to make the shield act like a shield, the mechanic addition is below: 

When the player holds the Block button, a protective dome will be erected over the player (0.75m radius, with the player as the centre). The dome's colour will be the same energy colour of the Silva and Aegis. All enemies that were within the dome will be repelled back and be ragdolled (or simply pushed) out of the dome (and enemies cannot enter the dome). The dome will block off all enemy fire, and it will still drain stamina from the player when it is hit, but the stamina drain is decreased by 65% (explosions that hit the dome will have its damage decreased by 40%, and Penta/Torid grenades will bounce off the dome). People may notice this mechanic addition is somewhat akin to the Spiral Knights shield functions, which the proposed mechanic is based off of that. 

To compensate for this, the Silva and Aegis will have its damage decreased to 27 Fire Damage, and a status chance decrease to 15.0%. 

In PVP, when the player holds the Block button, it will drain stamina regardless (just like the current iteration of blocking in PVP), but the rate of stamina decrease will be 1.5x faster than other weapons, to provide a small balance.

With this mechanic addition and tweak, this would allow the Silva and Aegis to act more of a defensive weapon, as well as providing a bit of support from players shielding other players with the dome. 

Please take the time to read this thread, and provide constructive criticism and feedback. 

Renegade343

While all newer weapons shouldn't be boltor primes, the silva already hits as weak as a skana. I'm not convinced that giving it additional defensive mechanics on top of its currently weak damage would be broken, and making it any weaker risks reducing it to utility alone outside of content that poses any risk. That's likely going to mean that people won't use it.

Otherwise, glad to hear that players still aren't satisfied with the state of the S&A.

While all newer weapons shouldn't be boltor primes, the silva already hits as weak as a skana. I'm not convinced that giving it additional defensive mechanics on top of its currently weak damage would be broken, and making it any weaker risks reducing it to utility alone outside of content that poses any risk. That's likely going to mean that people won't use it.

Otherwise, glad to hear that players still aren't satisfied with the state of the S&A.

It is pure Fire Damage, so even if it may have a weaker damage value, it is still more useful than a sword with slightly higher damage that has Physical Damage. Besides, with the status chance, one can stack good elemental status effects when modded for status build with the Silva and Aegis (granted, it is not the best status weapon, but it is quite adequate). 

The new blocking mechanics sound good, but I can't agree with the damage decrease. As it is, it can deal fairly heavy damage with its combos, but it's real strength lies in its procs (utility). If anything, its current stats would go well with a more defense-oriented weapon, aka Silva/Aegis if it had a bonus to blocking.

Like I said, though, I'd be all for giving it new blocking mechanics. As is, there is really no bonus to it in that regard despite having a shield, which is sort of meant for blocking.

The new blocking mechanics sound good, but I can't agree with the damage decrease. As it is, it can deal fairly heavy damage with its combos, but it's real strength lies in its procs (utility). If anything, its current stats would go well with a more defense-oriented weapon, aka Silva/Aegis if it had a bonus to blocking.

Like I said, though, I'd be all for giving it new blocking mechanics. As is, there is really no bonus to it in that regard despite having a shield, which is sort of meant for blocking.

I think the decrease in Damage would be acceptable, actually. As for the status chance decrease, I will think over about it. 

I like the idea of making it a defensive weapon, thus making it unique from other weapons by not being just another melee with flashy combos.

And here's a suggestion for an addition for its combos, I mean if you got a shield this is something you should be able to do

Shield Bash - Hold E

- Stuns enemies and open them to finishers (parrying counterattack).

I like the idea of making it a defensive weapon, thus making it unique from other weapons by not being just another melee with flashy combos.

And here's a suggestion for an addition for its combos, I mean if you got a shield this is something you should be able to do

Shield Bash - Hold E

- Stuns enemies and open them to finishers (parrying counterattack).

Maybe. It could work.

A full dome is a bit much, I would say.  Perhaps something in the 225-240° area for a frontal arc?  Obviously it should be significantly better than a standard melee weapon, but being able to block from every direction at that kind of stamina reduction would be pretty silly.  Quick Rest alone would make you damn near unkillable.

And the S&A absolutely needs a shield bash, kinda can't believe it doesn't already have it.