Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Archwing Fan Boss - Jörmungandr

MegpoidBeetle

With the hype coming for Archwing and getting to fight bosses in space, I decided to grab a pen and my sketchbook to do this!

jormungandr_by_zerohollow-d83n55q.jpg

Name: Jörmungandr

Named it after Jörmungandr from the Norse mythology, he is also known as the Midgard Serpent or the World Serpent (which is the reason why I chose the name, cuz y'know it's a bigass snake in space). Jörmungandr is the middle child of the giantess Angrboda and Loki. According to the Prose Edda, Odin took Loki's three children by Angrboda, the wolf Fenrir, Hel and Jörmungandr, and tossed Jörmungandr into the great ocean that encircles Midgard. The serpent grew so large that he was able to surround the earth and grasp his own tail. As a result, he received the name of the Midgard Serpent or World Serpent. When he kets go, the world will end. Jörmungandr's arch-enemy is the god Thor. [source: Wikipedia]

Appearance

-Possesses a halo similar to Ancients and the Ancient Infested head of Lephantis on its back
-Severely deformed face that has an eye on right side, around the middle, and two tentacle-like bug eyes on its left. These serves as one of its weak spots.
-Its serpentine body is covered with a hard exoskeleton that makes it difficult to be damaged.
-There are pores aligned on its tails that spits out human-sized Infested organisms that has variety of functions. The tail ends with a mouth that looks similar to the tentacles from the final boss of darkSector. This mouth also serves as a weak spot, but it's either opened or closed.
-Has several pair of insect-like legs aligned on its chest.
-There's a cavity in its chest that houses a sac-like heart, this is the main weak spot for phase 2. But in order for Jörmungandr to reveal it other weak spots must be damaged first or after it uses one of its abilities, which in the mean time it will be protected by its rib cage.

Abilities

Both phases

-Uses its tail to grab chunks of asteroids and ship debris that's around it and throws it at you.

-Tail whip, because that's what every boss with a tail should do.

-Open its main mouth and starts to sucks you up, failure to damage the pustule significantly inside its mouth will cause instant death if allowed to consume you. 

-Uses its tail to grab you and chew you up before spitting you out, dealing heavy damage. May proc Corrosive on you. Can be dodged.

Phase 1 only

~When flying:-
-Spits out pods similar to the ones made by the Ancient Corpus head of Lephantis, spawns lesser Infested units but in greater quantities.

-Uses its tail to grab chunks of asteroids and ship debris that's around it and throws it at you.

~When gripping onto the Solar Rail

-Open its main mouth and starts to suck you up, failure to damage the pustule significantly inside its mouth will cause instant death if allowed to consume you. It's slightly harder to damage the pustules in phase 1 since it's way closer to you.

-Its tail uses an energy drain attack on a random Tenno.

-If one tries to approach the tail, it will slam onto the floor and causes knockdown with a chance of inflicting Blast proc to nearby teammates. May uses tail whip instead.

-Uses its tail to grab you and chew you up before spitting you out, dealing heavy damage. May proc Corrosive on you. Can be dodged.

Phase 2 only

-A Rhino Charge like ability, where it will charged towards you at a surprising speed, causing massive damage if not dodged in time. Can be telegraphed easily if you notice it lifting its head and its halo starts to glow. Also used in the cutscene where it destroys the Solar Rail bridge.
-The pore on its tail release Infested organisms that homes in onto you. Failure to destroy them before they reach you will cause them to explode and cause either: Corrosive proc, Toxic proc, Blast proc, or Viral proc. The frequency of it releasing the swarms increases as you wear it down. It will gank you with it at critical health
-It's tail's mouth opens up and charges an EMP that has infinite range which causes Magnetic proc on your Warframe. Can be prevented by damaging the green pustule in the tail's mouth. 
-Psychic Bolts similar to Phorid's one, albeit larger and can be destroyed/deflected. 

-A ability known as Thunderstorm, releases a large AoE attack that spreads in an omni-direction. Warframes that are caught in its range will lose 9/10 of their current health and also will have their Archwing's ability temporary disabled. This ability is possibly related to a long lost Warframe that was consumed by it!

Now onto the lore of Jörmungandr in the Warframe universe

Jörmungandr is large serpent-like Infested creature of unknown origins, possibly predating the Orokin era. Its massive size is likely due to centuries of assimilating countless organic matters into itself. Its size outclasses even the Balor-class Fomorian ships. The Liset's radio picked up on enemy signal regarding how a large creature even unknown to the Lotus herself is tearing apart Grineer and Corpus ships, and too sightings of the creature by the Corpus around the Outer Terminus sector. As much as the Lotus and Tenno would like to see the numbers of Grineer and Corpus dwindle, this creature will prove to be a significant threat to the Solar System and thus must be stopped, hence for its target for assassination.

Battle
Phase 1

Ordis will drop you off on a Corpus-constructed Solar Rail (which I imagined to be a very longass bridge in space) where Jörmungandr was last sighted. As you walk across it, a cutscene commences where Jörmungandr will be sighted heading towards the Solar Rail, and it will throw chunks of the asteroid to block the path where you came from, preventing escape. Just imagine the first phase of this battle similar to the Hive Mind or the Nexus from the Dead Space franchise. When it flies around it'll spit out pods that spawns lesser Infested units (eg: Runners, Leapers, Chargers). Occasionally it will grip onto the Solar Rail and attempts to attack you itself, with it's main head facing one side of the bridge and its tail on the other side, sorta like circling around the bridge. Jörmungandr will have a health pool which can damaged by hurting its eyes or by damaging the pustules in its mouth with its vacuuming attack, then after some time it will detach from the Solar Rail and repeat the "flank you with Infested" phase. Abilities used during this phase can be found under the abilities tab. Rinse and repeat and eventually it will be agitated, where a cutscene occurs and it uses its Rhino Charge-like ability to destroy the Solar Rail, flinging you and your teammates into space and had Ordis to send you Archwing in order to begin the next phase of the battle.

Phase 2

Now this is where sh!t gets real. Jörmungandr will now use its other dangerous abilities which can easily overwhelm the Tenno. Its sac in its chest cavity has to be destroyed in order to kill it. However, it will protect it most of the time with its rib cage, though the protection is flawed as every time it uses an ability its rib cage opens up, revealing the weak spot. Other methods of revealing its weak spot are:
-Damaging its eyes, where upon being damaged it will shut its eyes and while in pain it will temporarily reveal its sac. In order to do it again you must wait for it to regenerate it eyes.
-Interrupting the EMP charge of the tail.
-Deflecting its Psychic Bolts back at it, which will punch through its exoskeleton and could contribute to the damage towards the sac.
-Damaging its pustules in its mouth when it is trying to suck you up, stunning it and revealing its sac.
Don't let it stay around at critical health otherwise you will get flanked by its swarms. Eventually its health will be reduce to zero, where the sac blows up and its body disintegrates.

Rewards?

Am thinking of a new frame named Thor or a new hammer weapon named Mjolnir. Feel free to give suggestions!

Quotes heard during the mission
Lotus

"Tenno, you are sent here to investigate a creature identified as Jörmungandr by Corpus intels. This creature has been reported to have destroyed several Grineer and Corpus fleets. This Solar Rail was where it was last sighted. Tread lightly."
- Heard at the beginning of the mission

"The existence of this creature is unknown even to myself. Get ready for the worst."
- Immediately after the first transmission

"Tenno, watch out!"
- Heard right before the cutscene where Jörmungandr rams the Solar Rail

Ordis

"Operator, Ordis seems to be detecting something bi-bi-big approaching. Is it what the Operator is looking for?"
- Heard while crossing the Solar Rail

"Ordis thinks it would be a good idea if the Operator have Ordis to prepare to deploy Archwing."
- Heard after Ordis' first transmission

"Oh my! Ordis will be hiding the ship until the Operator deals with this wyrm BECAUSE I WILL NOT risk having the Liset destroyed. Good luck, Operator!"
- When the battle starts

Jörmungandr

During Phase 1
"We can smell the blood of your gold emperors on your hands."

"We threaten 'you'? Are you not one of us?"

"Embrace the evolution. Rid yourself from this suffering and be a God."

During Phase 2
"Your path is blinded by blood and steel, Your false prophet is misguiding you."

"You dare to destroy your god? Heresy."

"You will assimilate, and you will understand."

Exclusive line for Loki
"Pathetic trickster. Die." < huehuehuehue

And that's pretty much it. Feedbacks and suggestions are appreciated! You can use this idea, just remember to credit me :3

Suggestions
These are suggestions that have been given so far, feel free to give some!

Naming it Nidhogg, as it gonna eat your Tenno, who are actually sinned according to big brother Stalker, cuz that's what Nidhogg in Norse mythology did; "devourer of the guilty". -suggested by StallordD

Note: I apologize if the English is sorta crappy, it's almost 2 AM because I accidentally refreshed this page and had to type the whole thing while in the three quarters through it.

Edit: Changed the phase 1, might not be such a bad idea to have phases where you fight it with your Warframe and later with Archwing. Once my finals are over I'll likely to be posting more concept arts!

Other Fan Concepts you may be interested in:

Benzer, the Gas Warframe - https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/371790-warframe-concept-benzer-the-gas-warframe/

Edited by YOUR_MOTHER_HAVE_BANDAIDS

if we can have a few black holes to travel to paralell-universes and ancient gods from different cultures i am in

right now we play tenno's, and this has less to do with the edda :-)

i would be not really amused about too much altered history which includes development of humans in general by playing a game, there are easier ways to drive me mad XD

Edited by 73NNO

I like the idea of a giant infested space monster boss. Not sure about the name, even though it fits. I like Warframe's naming policy of using bastardized latin for the most part, and even then it's mostly for weapons.

I'll let over-eager bastardizing of mythological and quasi-spiritual mumbo jumbo stay squarely in the sloppy hands of Bungie, with Destiny.

Loki being a notable exception.

Edited by MSD3000

I like the idea of a giant infested space monster boss. Not sure about the name, even though it fits. I like Warframe's naming policy of using bastardized latin for the most part, and even then it's mostly for weapons.

I'll let over-eager bastardizing of mythological and quasi-spiritual mumbo jumbo stay squarely in the sloppy hands of Bungie, with Destiny.

Loki being a notable exception.

Well at least the names can't be worse than Lephantis

What about naming him Nidhogg? Both work of course, I just think having the devourer of the guilty would be a fitting name.

Well I named it Jörmungandr due being a "world" serpent, and also how it utilize poisons in its attack. But I could put it under the suggestion tab :B

This is sick!

If this is put into Warframe, maybe when the boss flings the Tenno into space, maybe have a animation where Ordis isn't ready to deploy the arcwings? So you get thrown out in a fashion simmilar to BattleStar Glactica? Other than that, this looks alot like Dead Space.

This is sick!

If this is put into Warframe, maybe when the boss flings the Tenno into space, maybe have a animation where Ordis isn't ready to deploy the arcwings? So you get thrown out in a fashion simmilar to BattleStar Glactica? Other than that, this looks alot like Dead Space.

Well don't really think it would take long for Ordis to deploy Archwing :P and a Warframe won't last much in space without life support

And yea, this was kinda inspired by Dead Space, especially by the Nexus from the 3rd game.

Edited!

Change the phase 1 where you will fight Jörmungandr with your Warframe first then only with Archwing. Also gave it some to-be-honest-not-so-impressive abilities that still makes it a big threat in the first phase.

Thanks for the support so far! :D

Edited by YOUR_MOTHER_HAVE_BANDAIDS

• 2 weeks later...