Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

It's A She! The Leader Of The Steel Meridian Is A Female Grineer!

Morec0

You people have NO idea how happy this makes me! For the first time since the Twin Queens and Kela we are a seeing a female Grineer in a position of power!

it has always bothered me a little how, despite being a matriarchy of some description, the Grineer primarily seem to be led by male characters. I can't really explain why that bothers me so much, but I suppose it just seems a little off in terms of theme (given that I've begun to associate the Grineer heavily with ants/wasps, and the matriarchal structure that comes with that animal-association, probably doesn't help).

Yeah, yeah, I KNOW she's a deserted... BUT STILL!

I look forward to not only assisting the Red Veil and Miss Cantis(? still unsure if their visual leader there is her with a visual update, though the more I look the more it appears to be a male character), but Miss Meridian in their quest - provided their "alliance" with one another doesn't change between now and launch.

Hail the Veil!

The Meridian stands resolute!

Edited by Morec0

I'm glad too, but from what I understand of the Grineer is that females are the more highly educated ones and while all serve in the military at some point like Kela they are usually put in positions away from danger if they survive their time in the grineer military. Kela just loved the violence enough to stay.

it has always bothered me a little how, despite being a matriarchy of some description, the Grineer primarily seem to be led by male characters.

Erhm... you realize of course that is an oxymoron? It is led by the TWIN QUEENS, not Sargas Ruk, Captain Vor or Vay Hek - they are merely disposable underlings.

What about the two grineer in the gate crash operation?

As much as I LOVE Sprag (who I will NEVER refer to as a "waifu" for the obvious neckbeard connotations it has), her and Venk'ra's actual standing was... difficult to ascertain. While it wouldn't be out of place to say they were commanders during the event, it also wouldn't be out of place to say they were simply elite soldiers deployed amongst the rest of the footmen. And, even then, they were still under the thumb of the orchistrator of the event: Councilor Vay Hek.

I'm glad too, but from what I understand of the Grineer is that females are the more highly educated ones and while all serve in the military at some point like Kela they are usually put in positions away from danger if they survive their time in the grineer military. Kela just loved the violence enough to stay.

All the more confusing to me why we haven't heard anything from a female Grineer Councilor, or a female Grineer scientist (unless Tengus turns out to be a chick).

Erhm... you realize of course that is an oxymoron? It is led by the TWIN QUEENS, not Sargas Ruk, Captain Vor or Vay Hek - they are merely disposable underlings.

I think what they were getting at was that despite the Grineer "officially" being lead by the Twin Queens, we have yet to see them, and the most visible Grineer leaders are all male (with Sargas Ruk, Captain Vor, and Vay Hek being examples given).

Well actually, the Grineer females are just used more as special units because they're more heavily augmented, since the physical drawbacks are hitting them more heavily than the males. They're arguably the better fighters of the Grineer.

I think what they were getting at was that despite the Grineer "officially" being lead by the Twin Queens, we have yet to see them, and the most visible Grineer leaders are all male (with Sargas Ruk, Captain Vor, and Vay Hek being examples given).

Why would they risk having to re-clone the sexy by putting the females at risk? The saggyness!

I was making a joke. :P 

Ah. Well I apologize, I missed it entirely.

No, my point is that while the racial leaders for the group are female - and the dominant sex can be assumed to be female because of that - the MAJORITY of encountered leaders, regardless of actual rank, have been MALE. They may not be the top dog, they may just be disposable underlings compared to the Queens, but they still outnumber leaders of the opposite sex.

It's very possible that all of the highest-ranking individuals in the Grineer are female, I'll give you that, but the fact that we haven't seen or heard anything from them makes them a non-factor until otherwise altered due to their inclusion.

Only thing is, as a deserter, she doesn't have any power among the Grineer.

You could argue her building a whole new factions makes her more badass.

Ah, crap, I missed making that joke in my original post XD

I'm gonna go edit this in now just to avoid repeats of this obvious point.

It's very possible that all of the highest-ranking individuals in the Grineer are female

Not only "very possible" but "they are".

Twin. Queens.

Anyway, If your read Keyla's Codex entry it seems that female Grineer only have a timed mandatory military service(males are probably in it fo life, yo) and then they move onto something... else. Military leaders could be male, while civic leaders are female.

Edited by Brimir

You people have NO idea how happy this makes me! For the first time since the Twin Queens and Kela we are a seeing a female Grineer in a position of power!

I don't know......heavy guners tend to have a position of power with me.

Ha! triple entendre!

Why would they risk having to re-clone the sexy by putting the females at risk? The saggyness!

This, again, assumes that the Grineer bosses can be fought more than once because of cloning - which I disagree with, on the grounds of "game mechanics". To back my point: Vor. Although we can fight him countless times in his loyal-to-the Grineer status on Mercury, we can also do the same with the Void-crazy-Vor in T4 (this is also backed due to the primary concern for Vor's return at the end of the tutorial quest not being "re-cloned by Grineer genetics" but "brought back by the Janus Key"). To me, this stresses the individual nature of the Grineer cloning process - they can clone genetic identical, but each will have a different personality due to their upbringing and what they experience.

This, again, assumes that the Grineer bosses can be fought more than once because of cloning - which I disagree with, on the grounds of "game mechanics". To back my point: Vor. Although we can fight him countless times in his loyal-to-the Grineer status on Mercury, we can also do the same with the Void-crazy-Vor in T4 (this is also backed due to the primary concern for Vor's return at the end of the tutorial quest not being "re-cloned by Grineer genetics" but "brought back by the Janus Key"). To me, this stresses the individual nature of the Grineer cloning process - they can clone genetic identical, but each will have a different personality due to their upbringing and what they experience.

Personally I believe that each Grineer is created with the same blank slate, but as they live they eventually are able to evolve a personality of their own.

So the biggest and baddest Grineer who have lived long enough to attain a high rank within the Grineer hierarchy is going to also have a unique personality, while the rank and file Lancer who has the life expectancy of an ice cube in hell doesn't.

Not only "very possible" but "they are".

Twin. Queens.

Anyway, If your read Keyla's Codex entry it seems that female Grineer only have a timed mandatory military service(males are probably in it fo life, yo) and then they move onto something... else. Military leaders could be male, while civic leaders are female.

You seem to have missed the key word there: ALL.

Unless you're saying the Grineer females that actually have power are limited to ONLY the Twin Queens and Kela - which, again, simply backs by point.

Your statement about civic leaders, however, makes sense. Though that doesn't fully dilute the issues I take - probably because of how military-focused the Grineer are in my mind (i.e. few-to-no actual "civilians" - that is, "Grineer that are linked to the military in some way"). I suppose further information will be required to see.

Personally I believe that each Grineer is created with the same blank slate, but as they live they eventually are able to evolve a personality of their own.

So the biggest and baddest Grineer who have lived long enough to attain a high rank within the Grineer hierarchy is going to also have a unique personality, while the rank and file Lancer who has the life expectancy of an ice cube in hell doesn't.

Oooohkay, so again is seem to have misunderstood you. So sorry, sir.

Damn, I am BAD about that today...