Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is There A Dps Mage Warframe?

thegenuinebuzz

Question

25 answers to this question

mods can make almost any warframe have high dps abilities with low cost, but nova, saryn, and mirage have some of the best for huge dps with abilities. Also the U15 is supposed to be an actual "Void Wizard", if that gets your interest

Edited by -CM-SilentCoin

Saryn can deal quite a bit of damage with her ult, and putting fleeting expertise on her will bring the cost way down, while actually improving dps at the same time.  Ember is good for low-mid tier when you combine her 2 and 4 skills, but she's not low energy cost.  Nova's skills can do a lot of damage, but they need decent weapon damage to maximize on them.

DPS comes from weapons so you use some one who amplifies weapon damage  - like Nova and Mirage or Banshee (if you like aiming)

Best pure damage vs shields is Mag (infinitely scaling damage)  but she is only vs Corpus and Corrupted to some extent. Useless vs no-shield enemies. 

Ash Bladestorm is  the strongest universal pure damage and will kill everything up to very high levels that you will probably never see (~lvl100 depending on type)

There is another super-high end damager, but its too advanced to bother unless you fight lvl200+ 

Edited by Monolake

Could some kind person here contrast and compare Nova, Ember and  Ash? I know Ash is more assassin like Loki but bladestorm is intense when i've seen it in action

Currently building a Rhino Prime for tanking then i'll move onto mage, so no rush! :D

Edited by thegenuinebuzz

DPS comes from weapons so you use some one who amplifies weapon damage  - like Nova and Mirage. 

Best pure damage vs shields is Mag (infinitely scaling damage)  but she only vs Corpus and Corrupted to some extent. Useless vs no-shield enemies. 

Ash Bladestorm is  the strongest universal damage and will kill everything up to very high levels that you will probably never see (~lvl100 depending on type)

Problem with Ash is overall dps. While he does have highest damage output, his fancy moveset while in BS isnt fast enough.

Ember with a Fireball + Accelerant build.

Max power efficiency and power strength.

Cast Accelerant then start chucking high damage Fireballs that are amplified even further by Accelerant.

It's quick, easy, and near-instant, but you gotta cast Accelerant every time once enemies start getting tougher.

Oberon's Smite also feels really good to use (Can't miss with it, and it explodes), the projectiles even home in on enemies too.

Edited by Draciusen

Saryn is great for that role, and her fouth can be spammed like crazy (I do not condone that mind you)

She's great for a bunch of roles actually.

Tanking comes to mind...

She's too versatile to not have.

Yeah Saryn is great for spamming one power as she is pretty hard to balance.

Just keep in mind that you will need some serious modding depending on which power you want to go with. Misama is cheap and nobrainer, Venom blanketing requires weapon with punch through and Molt explosion is weirdest to mod of them all.

Mag, Ember, Mirage, Nova, Oberon, Volt, Frost, and maybe Hydroid fit your bill.

(Hydroid is a bit iffy because Powers 3/4 aren't really offensive Powers by any means)

theoretically Saryn could be on there, but slot 4 Powers aren't ultra spammable, and Venom / Molt are not traditional 'magic spells' by any means.

Personal favorite as Battlecaster is Frost, good offense abilities in normal play but you want to have efficiency mods as his energy pool is lower than other casters and he has some problems against infested because of damage type. He has two AoE instant damage abilities Icewave (line before you) and Avalanche (circle around you) both also slowing enemies. Shields and Armor are high, Life is Medium and if it gets hairy Snow Globe pops up a bubble which can't be shot into(except by Railgun MOAs) and anything inside it's base radius gets slowed. One thing still to mention: he ties with Rhino for second slowest Frame, only rhino with a special helmet is even slower.

+ good AoE damage, survivability

- slow, low energy pool, weakend damage against infested

As for the asked for comparison:

Ember is mostly damage with cc on accelerant and from burneffects. I'm usually frontline with her (or at least close behind), as except for fireball her abilities are centred on herself with medium to short radius. And accerlerant has a stun effect which allows you to get out of hairy situations

+ AoE, Stun

- somewhat frail

Nova is mostly used for Molecular Prime which increases damage taken on all effected enemies (Range can become huge but it expands over time instead of affecting everything at once) and can be used to either slow them down or speed them up depending on modding, also each of the affected enemies explodes when killed and damages surrounding enemies. Antimatter drop is a slow guidable attack that can be charged by shooting it and Nullstar is  an ability wich autoattacks anything coming close to you till all of ts charges are gone. A little weak on the shield and no real Oh-Crap-Button so you might want to stay back a little.

+ AoE over time, Slowdown, High range, Scales well with your weapon

- somewhat frail, no real instant damage/cc

Only thing Ash really has to offer as a damage caster is his 4 which dishes out insane damage but with a limited amount of hits (pretty much overkill on anything hit for a long time if you have just started playing). His 1 is also damaging but singletarget, i usually prefer to just shoot the enemy instead of using it, or even hit 4 on a high efficency built. Something to mention is, that he is sturdier than the other 2 as he has higher life and armor. Also same Problem as Frost: energy pool is only 150 on 30, Ember and Nova hit 225 (all before mods).

+Damage

- low energy pool

Hey everyone, fairly new here, but i'd quite like to know if there's a warframe with the following:

1) Fairly low energy costs on a high damage ability

2) easy to spam and DPS with.

The closest i've found is Hydroid, but he doesn't seem to be meta right now, anyone? Thanks! :D

There are several.   One of my favorites is simply my starter frame: mag. 

Mag's cheap skill is called "pull" and it does exactly that, in a frontal cone, it pulls all the enemy off their feet, flings them TOWARD you about 10 yards (they can fly behind you if they were close).   It will outright kill low level enemy in one or two uses.  About enemy level 20 it stops doing significant damage and you should no longer use it for damage but for crowd control, but getting started and lower levels, use it to kill. 

next up, she has "crush".  This expensive skill lifts everything in a 2 mile radius into the air, and then kills them all.  I am sure it won't kill the high end endless spawn mission enemy but it will kill most anything else in one use. 

Her other 2 skills are also useful ... one punishes enemy with shields, doing damage to them but useless on grineer and infested.  The other is a damage increasing debuff on a single target, great for bosses. 

But that is just ONE example. 

The thing to realize is the following:

- all frames have 4 abilities, and one of those costs 25, one costs 50, and so on.   ITs all the same but some frames have a better cheap skill than others.  Only a couple of frames have a really strong aoe 25 cost skill.  

- it does not matter.  After you have played for a while, you can increase the amount of power your frame can hold and decrease the costs of skills, resulting in the ability to use your skills nonstop spam style.   A digging kubrow (sasha? type?) can loot energy for you to start with when playing solo or doing exterminate or other low kill missions.  Missions with more kills have endless energy from drops anyway. 

- if you want to try mag, its one of the ones you can get from low level content.  The boss on mars drops it. 

Edited by jonnin

I'd say Mirage over Nova. Nova is stronger,but imo Mirage suits your necessities better.

Even though of course power efficiency can help getting low energy costs,Mirage starts with low energy costs. This makes her ulti turn into a toggle decent dps skill.

Only bad thing is that it has a really long casting time.

Also,Hall of Mirrors goes on an OP combo with explosive weapons and attica.

Edited by Phobesse