Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gate Crash, Design And Overview

DE_Adam

The Lotus’ plan to construct Archwing technology is in jeopardy, and who’s at the center of it?  Of course it’s the Grineer.  Between dangerous new clones and their intrusive key-powered gateways Vay Hek thinks he has control of the situation; but we all know the solution to any Grineer problem is only a few quick Boltor shots away.

Operation Gate Crash is an exciting mix of different objectives, factions and tilesets all to create a unique twist on game mode not yet available through Void Keys.  We call it Void Sabotage.  During this particular event you and your party needed to hold off waves of enemies while trying to secure strategic positions, fight deadly bosses and hunt for hidden caches within the virtual labyrinth that are Infested Orokin Derelicts.  

nVAJ2kA.jpg

With a blending of so many ideas into a single game mode it was important that we had each objective remain clear for players.  Reversing the portal polarity, killing the bosses, shutting down the portal and then finally escaping is the quick route for a high score on the leaderboard; but the addition of the Grineer Caches, our first optional event objective, changed the flow of the event dramatically for many players.

Taking the time to explore the Orokin Derelict for caches not only rewards players for their thorough search, but also let groups better diversify their strategy in how they wanted to handle a mission.  Anyone simply running for points could stick to their preferred speed/efficiency builds, while other groups chose to split their efforts between exploration and assault.

Many Tenno even went so far as to help suggest a few helpful tips to make the experience more enjoyable, most of which aren’t simply limited to this event.  Here’s a summary of a few strategies players found particularly effective for this new game mode:

• Don’t be afraid to assign roles!  Keeping in communication with your group is always helpful, but assigning roles at the mission start will really make a difference when shield and health pools start to drop low.  Knowing when to move up as a group with Frost or when to fall back and let Valkyr go berserk is the key to getting through harder missions.
  • Leave no Cache behind.  It’s kind of obvious, but the rewards are often worth it.  Rare Mods and fusion cores are rarely a poor investment.  The hard part is finding them, and to that you’ll need to be thorough in how you explore the map and take care of the Infested on your tail.  Don’t be afraid to buddy up and split into smaller groups to cover more ground.
  • Search before the portal assault.  Although stopping the enemy is an obvious priority, there’s nothing wrong with taking a bit of time to explore the Derelict for Hidden Caches first.  Plus, it means that when it’s time to extract all you need to do is worry about extraction.

To address the two biggest demands, we’ve looked at incorporating loot caches as well as the ‘portal room’ into future events and tilesets.  Loot caches themselves will be showing up again, and as to whether or not we’ll be expanding their appearance to other game types is something we’re trying to decide.  As for now caches within Void Sabotage will change in scale depending on what tier of Void Key is used to access it, with better rewards given out for higher tier keys.

Orokin Sabotage will also expand its enemy repertoire to include the Corpus, with a brand new mini-boss to take the place of Grineer commanders Sprag and Ven’kra Tel on Corpus missions.  Fans of miniature robotic dogs with deployable shields and defensive turrets should rejoice!  What tilesets we plan on connecting to the portal are still being determined, but portal construction is hard work.  You never know where those things are going to open up to.

DZnBRRY.jpg

Speaking of the portal room, we’re incredibly pleased how much you all enjoyed the addition of the Orokin gateway.  The Torsion Beam and its unique ability to open gateways into other connected portals is something everyone liked interacting with, and while we cannot say if this special room will ever make a reappearance outside of Void Sabotage we’ve already made a few updates to its design to reflect its Orokin roots!

Void Sabotage will be live in Update 15 on PC, and will be making a return to Xbox One and PS4 as a full mission type in the near future.  A warm thank you goes to everyone who participated in Operation Gate Crash, and we hope you look forward to seeing more worlds collide when Void Sabotage becomes available in the near future.  

Oww yeah, cross faction battles are back again... :)

The addition of secondary objectives (the caches) could also benefit Stealth greatly!

Can't wait to scan the two sisters (I missed them before).

Edited by unknow99

Personally I had enjoyed the Gate Crash missions, but feel that if re-implemented as they were it would lead to very repetitive missions. 

By that I mean how there will be that one frame who will stand in front of the Gate and spam CC-Abilities, not allowing enemies to fire more than one shot (if they even get that far without being rendered helpless.)

Admittedly this was much less of an issue at the higher levels of the event when every power was at it's weakest.

I'm more interested in seeing leechers being dealt with, it was rather disapointing seeing "top players" leeching both points and lockers.

Sure at some point i couldn't kill anything, but i still searched the lockers because that was my only role.

But those "top player leechers" were very common and i really hope those DE implements harsher and quicker bans on those players.

Other than that, it was a cool concept and i enjoyed.

Orokin Sabotage will also expand its enemy repertoire to include the Corpus, with a brand new mini-boss to take the place of Grineer commanders Sprag and Ven’kra Tel on Corpus missions.  Fans of miniature robotic dogs with deployable shields and defensive turrets should rejoice!

I feel this is a reference to YandereSamatha :3

Edited by KiraShado

... and while we cannot say if this special room will ever make a reappearance outside of Void Sabotage we’ve already made a few updates to its design to reflect its Orokin roots!

Would be nice if there also was a small chance to have these portals in normail missions. Meaning we enter a mission and we see a portal open to a Void tower. Then we get in and raid it for Void rewards.

Edited by KingTaro

To address the two biggest demands, we’ve looked at incorporating loot caches as well as the ‘portal room’ into future events and tilesets. Loot caches themselves will be showing up again, and as to whether or not we’ll be expanding their appearance to other game types is something we’re trying to decide. As for now caches within Void Sabotage will change in scale depending on what tier of Void Key is used to access it, with better rewards given out for higher tier keys.

Here's the Problem:

Affinity & Enemy drops. Whenever you have a mission mode that promotes exploration or "splitting up to divide and conquer," the team loses loot and affinity. I understand that the affinity range, and picking up loot is at the very core of this game, but I cannot, and will not enjoy exploration or splitting up if it means leaving loot behind, or missing out on team-gained affinity.

It's stressful enough being the guy that defends the objective but still tries to stay in range of the more wilder players that run off and kill things, affectionately known as "hallway heroes."

Here's the Problem:

Affinity & Enemy drops. Whenever you have a mission mode that promotes exploration or "splitting up to divide and conquer," the team loses loot and affinity. I understand that the affinity range, and picking up loot is at the very core of this game, but I cannot, and will not enjoy exploration or splitting up if it means leaving loot behind, or missing out on team-gained affinity.

It's stressful enough being the guy that defends the objective but still tries to stay in range of the more wilder players that run off and kill things, affectionately known as "hallway heroes."

Ummm... Affinity is no longer radius based, but team based, meaning you ALWAYS get experience for what your team does. Check patch notes from quite a few updates back.

As for loot, that's what chat and waypoints are for. Find something good, mark it and let people know what dropped.

Here's the Problem:

I encounter this often aswell, but when I have a discussion with my squad before a mission (at least in my region),that problem is solved 80% of the time and we play as a team.

Adding an icon that says what kind of player you will be in the next mission could be interesting though.

Thunder icon = wanna rush

Shovel icon = explorer

Venitian mask = stealth tenno

Affinity is no longer radius based, but team based, meaning you ALWAYS get experience for what your team does. Check patch notes from quite a few updates back.

As for loot, that's what chat and waypoints are for. Find something good, mark it and let people know what dropped.

If that is the case, then I may have to run some tests, because the "feel" is that affinity does cut off at a certain point. As for loot, backtracking isn't really that much fun.