Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Remember Why I Stopped Watching Television.

Rakshal

I like how they used the Red Dead Redemption scene as an example even though the game itself implies men who treat women like that are lesser human beings (an antagonist, if only minor, in this case).

I still watch it every day here. We don't have such silly stuff here yet. Country matters, I guess.

You're damn-well lucky. You can't throw a compliment at the opposite gender anywhere around my location without being wailed upon.

I like how they used the Red Dead Redemption scene as an example even though the game itself implies men who treat women like that are lesser human beings (an antagonist, if only minor, in this case).

You're damn-well lucky. You can't throw a compliment at the opposite gender anywhere around my location without being wailed upon.

Me: Hey, nice shirt. ^.^

Paranoid woman: RAPIST!!!!! HELP ME!!!!! D:

*society in a nutshell*

Edited by Rakshal

The beautiful thing about truth is that, no matter how many lies or slander is spread, or even if people believe it or not, the truth will always stay the truth. So, even if some media sites and a bunch of people believe misinformed and blatant liars like Anita Sarkeesian or Leigh Alexander or what have you, the truth of the matter is games/gamers are not as they would have others believe.

It's also a truth that BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Intel, and a plethora of other heavy-hitting advertisers pulled funding and advertisement from the websites promoting the Anti-Gamer agenda such as Gawker/Kotaku, Gamasutra, and RockPaperShotgun. One of these sites even lost upward of 24 million dollars over the last month alone due to their insane stance against their own consumer base.

So yeah, these people can lie to the media and try to spread their slander all they want. Gamers like me will just be having forty keks watching them burn their careers down.

EDIT: Nissan just pulled funding as well. FORTY KEKS!

Edited by PsychedelicSnake

The beautiful thing about truth is that, no matter how many lies or slander is spread, or even if people believe it or not, the truth will always stay the truth. So, even if some media sites and a bunch of people believe misinformed and blatant liars like Anita Sarkeesian or Leigh Alexander or what have you, the truth of the matter is games/gamers are not as they would have others believe.

It's also a truth that BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Intel, and a plethora of other heavy-hitting advertisers pulled funding and advertisement from the websites promoting the Anti-Gamer agenda such as Gawker/Kotaku, Gamasutra, and RockPaperShotgun. One of these sites even lost upward of 24 million dollars over the last month alone due to their insane stance against their own consumer base.

So yeah, these people can lie to the media and try to spread their slander all they want. Gamers like me will just be having forty keks watching them burn their careers down.

This was inspirational... kinda.

There is a reason why I watch news that is told casualy. So casual that they practicaly laugh, show their disgust against, and give their own opinion (which is based on more facts then some of the stuff they have to report on) what they have to broadcast, even if it goes completely against what they are showing.

Edited by Postal_pat

The guy of the video failed to point out that the reporter wannabe said that women are portrayed "with exaggerated sexuality". Many men are also portrayed with body proportions that are outworldly...

That aside, I am with you on this matter. I have long stopped watching news. They are not only largely biased in some way or another, they also hardly reveal, announce or report on things that are actually important. Most media is just sensationalism. Well, at least that's how it is where I live.

The guy in the video has a point, in my eyes, there is no time to be sexist/racist or whatever as a gamer.

Why waste time doing that when I can be playing video games.

It's like I said to someone the other day, I don't care if you are male, female, a cacti. I just want to enjoy myself and let other people do the same. Gaming is becoming one of the most inclusive hobbies in the world, ranging from my grandparents playing candy crush to the hundreds of hours I've invested in Warfame alone.

The guy in the video has a point, in my eyes, there is no time to be sexist/racist or whatever as a gamer.

It's like I said to someone the other day, I don't care if you are male, female, a cacti. I just want to enjoy myself and let other people do the same. Gaming is becoming one of the most inclusive hobbies in the world, ranging from my grandparents playing candy crush to the hundreds of hours I've invested in Warfame alone.

Amen.

I started a conversation with a person and used that very line: As a gamer, we don't care who you are, we just want to play games.

Do you know what they responded with? "Maybe you should be more selective about who you play video games with."

Ow. My brain. But even then, the message remains the same: Treat others (even stupid people) with respect. So I did, and I hope they learned something, because I learned something too.

I try to watch my local news when I can, just to see if I need to be on the look out for some genuinely messed up people. (I live in a growing community with a very low crime rate and it has sadly been going up in the past few years, and a lot in the past few months.)

Edit: Deleted a lot of what I said to avoid stirring any hate against our community.

Edited by FREQ1989

I read an article from the University about that bomb threat, apparently they got the Police and FBI involved with it and strengthened security and but it was cancelled anyways due to her saying she didn't like how they abided by Open-Carry laws or something.

Also, didn't those advertisers pull out because one of those people was advocating Bullying and Shaming "nerds" into submission?

I read an article from the University about that bomb threat, apparently they got the Police and FBI involved with it and strengthened security and but it was cancelled anyways due to her saying she didn't like how they abided by Open-Carry laws or something.

Also, didn't those advertisers pull out because one of those people was advocating Bullying and Shaming "nerds" into submission?

Essentially, yes.

The advertisers didn't approve of the bullying and abuse, so they stopped their advertisements.

As for the bomb/shooting threat, it hasn't been linked to gaming at all, but Anita Sarkeesian was rather quick to blame it on us. According to the Police and FBI and other sources, the threat was entirely anonymous.

Oh yeah, every time I boot up warframe and throw my glaive at a Grineer I just get an irresistable urge to go outside and throw sharp things at people. 

No. The people who made those threats were mentally unstable to begin with. Video games have nothing to do with that. 

I hate news companies. I hate everyone who profits off of lies. 

Edited by Plasmaface

Oh yeah, every time I boot up warframe and throw my glaive at a Grineer I just get an irresistable urge to go outside and throw sharp things at people. 

No. The people who made those threats were mentally unstable to begin with. Video games have nothing to do with that. 

I hate news companies. I hate everyone who profits off of lies. 

People have pretty dull lives if you think about it.. getting interested in over the top news psh

EDIT: Nissan just pulled funding as well. FORTY KEKS!

A company called Olympus has pulled their advertisements from Gawker (the parent company of Kotaku)!

EIGHTY KEKS!

715.jpg

Also, this just in! Extra Credits stands AGAINST gamers. Yeah... makes no sense to me either.

That's probably just James Portnow being James Portnow. He's a little too thin-skinned for my liking, and he sometimes winds up espousing what I think are slightly ridiculous views as a result.

Everybody has their blemishes, I guess. He's got a great game design brain, but he's an abject failure at everything (seriously, everything) social. The very first time I clicked on a "James Recommends" video, I knew. It's painful to watch him even try to talk to anyone.

The Inclusivity topic is always going to be precious to him, because he is always internally berating himself for his social ineptitude. He's pushing his internal conflict outward here, but I forgive him. It's a tiny amount of pain for us to take compared to inward beating he's delivering to himself every day.

If you know a little of James' life story, you can see that he's at risk for some personal disturbances. I suspect he keeps his schedule so insanely busy as a coping strategy - "so busy you don't have time for depression" is something I've seen before. Before I go off writing pages of speculation about his mental state, I'll stop and say that I'm a little disappointed by that tweet.

I understand where it came from, though. There's probably a lot of personal pain behind it. I'm just going to let it slide, because that's what real sensitivity and understanding are about, tumblerinas.