Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Remember Why I Stopped Watching Television.

Rakshal

9/10 - it woulda been perfect without the slang label :)

I'm not good at capturing the inflective emphasis of spoken word in text.

Imagine a really, really stupid person using that label in a wildly inappropriate context. In my head, Dr. Steve Brule reads that line.

Not even kidding, I work with a guy who actually had legal action taken against him just because he said "looking good" to a customer.

Playing the devil's advocate here, it's all about the tone too. Though some hysterical peeps will see a problem with any tone, there's a huge difference between saying "looking good" or "you're beautiful" in a casual, light mood tone or with a mischievous look/grin and a more "sensual" tone. Usually women take some offense at the latter (reasonable). Though I don't know if I would go far and sue someone for that, guess I would only do something if it became constant (therefore a harassment).

(Edit: Just to make clear, I'm not saying that your colleague used the "bad" tone in this situation, but that's something constant overall :<)

Edited by LoyalFangs

Day-old bump. Forgive me.

Playing the devil's advocate here, it's all about the tone too. Though some hysterical peeps will see a problem with any tone, there's a huge difference between saying "looking good" or "you're beautiful" in a casual, light mood tone or with a mischievous look/grin and a more "sensual" tone. Usually women take some offense at the latter (reasonable). Though I don't know if I would go far and sue someone for that, guess I would only do something if it became constant (therefore a harassment).

(Edit: Just to make clear, I'm not saying that your colleague used the "bad" tone in this situation, but that's something constant overall :<)

I completely understand.

I had mentioned it because it was actually a case of a completely innocent comment being taken seriously. We actually did a little research on the individual during legal proceedings and their twitter actually contained what I'm sure several people in this thread would consider "the less pleasant side of the feminist movement". In the end, though, it turned out alright.

As for how my pal presented his offending compliment, imagine the Fonz doing his characteristic "Ayyyy" line and pose. Innocent and silly; something so cheesy that it'd likely cause somebody to laugh before they even had time to say "thanks".

GamersGate aren't gamers, they're a congregation of sexist, hate-mongering asshats using the label of "gamers against corruption in games journalism" as a shield that they might hide behind.

Of course, there might be a few good people hidden in their ranks. But there were also likely a few good people that joined the Nazi party too.

GamersGate aren't gamers, they're a congregation of sexist, hate-mongering asshats using the label of "gamers against corruption in games journalism" as a shield that they might hide behind.

Of course, there might be a few good people hidden in their ranks. But there were also likely a few good people that joined the Nazi party too.

Not all people in GamerGate are sad excuses for human beings.

But enough are.

I really hope someone important in GamerGate knows how to do damage control, especially after that Felicia Day doxxing.

Edited by djentlemenBehold

No. The people who made those threats were mentally unstable to begin with. Video games have nothing to do with that. 

Do not throw people with mental illness under the bus and make them to be some kind of menace they are not. That is some serious scapegoating right there and sets a dangerous precedence and encourages discrimination against them. People with mental illness are far more likely to be victims of abuse and violence, not perpetrators of it.

http://depts.washington.edu/mhreport/facts_violence.php

Edited by djentlemenBehold

Did you want to have a discussion? Or are you just trolling and slinging insults? Because the very first word you used was already incorrect. Gamersgate is a website that provides games for download.

I am utterly disappointed in you fish.