Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nvidia Geforce, Dsr And Warframe...

Gigatron-Prime

Ok, DSR sounds like the dumbest piece of technology ever and a total waste of resources.  No offence. 

Seems so. Projects 4k on 1920x1080 monitor. However Nvidia is trying to market this, i dont see any logic in this tech. How can you squeeze 4k amount of pixes into 1920x1080? Its some sort of pixel polishing that will probably waste resources for 1 % better graphics.

Ok, DSR sounds like the dumbest piece of technology ever and a total waste of resources.  No offence. 

Downsampling a higher resolution will result in the best possible image. It's essentially the *best* form of anti-aliasing; normal anti-aliasing is designed to mimic downscaled images, however because it only has the native resolution to work with it only works so well.

DSR basically eliminates the need for anti-aliasing completely; the higher the resolution being downsampled (i.e. downsampling 3840x2160 resolution to 1920x1080 resolution) the better the edge quality and image clarity because image downsizing/resampling algorithms are way more efficient than anti-aliasing algorithms.

The downside is that your video card is technically rendering more pixels than you actually have, and rendering more pixels is very tasking to the GPU.

Battlefield 4 has it built right in, and it's amazing.

DSR can be applied in geforce experience, under the resolution option menu. Several DSR resolutions (some around 2k) should be made available. If you want to force DSR unto warframe, look in your nvidia control panel, under the 3D settings tab.

hey buddy i'm a happy owner of an GTX 980, what you need to do to enable the DSR is:

1) go to the Nvidia Control panel, then Adjust image settings with preview  and set the option "use the advanced 3d Image Settings"

2) go to "Manage 3d settings and search the option: DSR Factors, there you have the multipliers, also you have to adjust the DSR Smoothness to make it look as good as possible with the multiplier you set.

3) later you go to set the resolution normally and you will see the new resolution options... select one then open warframe and go to the settings to match the resolution of the game with the resolution you put in the windows or nvidia panel...

the english its my second languaje my apologies if wrote something wrong...

I've been doing this manually for quite some time by using "custom resolutions" in the control panel. I think you can force the "DSR" (same thing, but essentially now a marketing term) in the control panel for Warframe. It should open up other resolution options (I think).

As to the above posts, it does work for "most" games. There are some weirdness in some menus sometimes depending on how the game is written. However, the "it's the best possible graphics quality" isn't exactly true. This is old school technology which you could call a spin off of Ordered Grid Super Sampling. The Ordered Grid can introduce some artifacts. A better one is Rotated Grid Super Sampling, but I don't think DSR does this yet, and it's a little more intensive.

Doing DSR with a 1080p monitor, rendering at "4K" is essentially the same as doing 4x SSAA.  Where the "technology" comes in handy is for games that don't support this natively (DOTA2, Hearthstone, etc.). Warframe does have SSAA already built in, so it's likely not going to help much.

After I enabling DSR in Warframe I didn't really notice any improvement. The game's UI did not scale and the FPS dropped to 20. It's there if you want some uber nice screenshots but at this point I don't think it's necessary. I barely noticed a difference if any at all. That's not to say Warframe shouldn't utilize 4k or DSR. It would be nice to get some support from DE.

warframe only goes a little bit over 2k. 

edit: ah , new driver. 

I'll give it a whirl.

10005932_10154785561575571_4285493807934

This is simply not true, I've been playing Warframe in 4K for years, at least since closed beta. DSR is just an easy way to downsample for people who don't know how to create custom resolutions or who have older monitors.

I've been doing this manually for quite some time by using "custom resolutions" in the control panel. I think you can force the "DSR" (same thing, but essentially now a marketing term) in the control panel for Warframe. It should open up other resolution options (I think).

As to the above posts, it does work for "most" games. There are some weirdness in some menus sometimes depending on how the game is written. However, the "it's the best possible graphics quality" isn't exactly true. This is old school technology which you could call a spin off of Ordered Grid Super Sampling. The Ordered Grid can introduce some artifacts. A better one is Rotated Grid Super Sampling, but I don't think DSR does this yet, and it's a little more intensive.

Doing DSR with a 1080p monitor, rendering at "4K" is essentially the same as doing 4x SSAA.  Where the "technology" comes in handy is for games that don't support this natively (DOTA2, Hearthstone, etc.). Warframe does have SSAA already built in, so it's likely not going to help much.

4xMSAA doesn't affect transparencies the same way, so this would be better, visually.

After I enabling DSR in Warframe I didn't really notice any improvement. The game's UI did not scale and the FPS dropped to 20. It's there if you want some uber nice screenshots but at this point I don't think it's necessary. I barely noticed a difference if any at all. That's not to say Warframe shouldn't utilize 4k or DSR. It would be nice to get some support from DE.

You might not notice the lack of aliasing. Warframe has supported ANY resolution I throw at it, including 4K, since launch.

Might try doing DSR with a base 4K res to get 8K shots. Haven't tried DSR yet, so I'm unsure if it will work that way, but we'll see.

:::EDIT:::

Apparently the DSR doesn't support resolutions like 6-8K as of yet, so no dice. I tried, just to confirm, and there is not option beyone 4K, which I could already do before. The good news is that it didn't affect my monitor's refresh rate, causing my Lightboost to be disabled. This seems like a useful tool for newer PC users, but nowhere near the utility of a tool such as GeDoSaTo, which allowed me to get to 10K in Remember Me, where my card was capped out on memory. Unfortunately, GeDoSaTo doesn't work with Warframe yet, but the creator, Durante, is working on DX11 support, which will mean great things for more than just games like Warframe. 

I'd like to leave this post with the note: 4K is not a feature. it is simply a resolution. %90+ games "support" it, and they also support 6K and beyond. The thing that doesn't is your monitor. There are ways around this, such as DSR, Custom Resolutions, and GeDoSaTo, or you could purchase a 4K television or Monitor, and with those it's possible to get custom Resolutions up to around 8K.

Edited by spazznid

I played with a bit today and it does work pretty well. Same 4K UI scaling issues I've been reporting for the past few months (no fix). It did allow the refresh of the monitor to stay at 120Hz, with performance from SLI 660Ti's between 50-90fps with AA disabled.

Overall, not bad. I still wish the control panel would allow per-game settings of it.

I think the biggest difference is that I wonder if the "SSAA" that Warframe is using is only 2x, and not 4x.

Warframe has supported ANY resolution I throw at it, including 4K, since launch.

Well, you haven't tried messing with 21:9 then. You need to use a few tricks just so Warframe plays in 21:9 resolutions in fullscreen...and even then some UI aspects will be stretched.

But yea...most games will work in 4K just fine without much of a hassle as long as they're not from the 800x600 era of games. (aka Diablo II and so on)