Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tenno What Are They

CrpytTonicks

Either 

A: Tenno are Commander Shepards/Master Chiefs with armor & weird powers. Nothing new, tons of game characters are based on this premise.

or

B: Tenno are beings that can project their minds from the void into the warframes linked to them (the far cooler story that is consistent with all game mechanics).

Anyone else remember that Steve said that they have the answer to what the tenno are, if they are just suits or robots, ect, and that we would be getting that answer with update 15? Anyone else remember that? I know for a fact he said that they know what the warframes are, I just cannot remember if he said we would be getting that information with update 15....It was in one of the devstreams, cannot remember, one of the new ones about update 15, I think the one with the tech demo steve showed of archwing.

We bleed. We have a known history of being humans. The idea of a Warframe was built around warped individuals that came back from the Void when the Orokin Empire was looking for a way to defeat the Sentients.

Some people need it spelled out for them in the game though (Not you OP).

We bleed. We have a known history of being humans. The idea of a Warframe was built around warped individuals that came back from the Void when the Orokin Empire was looking for a way to defeat the Sentients.

Yes. That we know. How ever the question has been asked, is each warframe a different person? More or less, what is the player's relation to the warframe, are they just...people we control? Or is the same "mind" that is behind excalibur, the some one in trinity? So on and so forth.

Mainly, it's because we have to craft the warframe, but we don't craft the people in them, so are they suits? Where do the people come from? Stuff like that.

Yes. That we know. How ever the question has been asked, is each warframe a different person? More or less, what is the player's relation to the warframe, are they just...people we control? Or is the same "mind" that is behind excalibur, the some one in trinity? So on and so forth.

Mainly, it's because we have to craft the warframe, but we don't craft the people in them, so are they suits? Where do the people come from? Stuff like that.

Its was stated that with focus players will level their "tenno", the player. So we are one guy switching frames, DE is just too lazy to do both genders for each frame.

I don't think DE is going to answer this anytime soon.  Not directly at least. The Arbiters of Hexis seemed to be focused on unlocking the lost history of the Tenno so maybe if you join them you'll be able to find your answer.

Someone else created a thread asking this same question, so I will repost my answer.

The Tenno were created as weapons to fight a race call the sentient who were capable of subverting/corrupting high technology in such a way that it made it impossible for the Orokin to defeat them alone.  To save themselves from being wiped out by the Sentient the Orokin's last resort was to perform terrible experiments involving casting living beings into the void.  Normally void energy corrupts living matter, creating the Infected.  In extremely rare cases the being does not lose it's mind and becomes a Tenno instead. 

I believe the technocite virus was an unintended consequence of the research that created the Tenno.  This makes sense as if you listen to some of the Infected Bosses they talk about "being your flesh" or something to that effect. 

I recall a tenno's warframe being called "a vessel" somewhere and then being explained as the means through which a tenno may channel the power of the void to create the 'space magic' we all know and love.  If you remember what was said about the shifting sands event, it confirms that the Tenno's power comes from the void as the enemy base we were attacking had scanners able to detect the equipment that gave off high levels of void radiation.

So what is a Tenno?

A Tenno is an Orokin created bioweapon capable of wielding the power of the void to perform spectacular feats of destruction.

In the words of author Arthur C. Clarke - "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Its was stated that with focus players will level their "tenno", the player. So we are one guy switching frames, DE is just too lazy to do both genders for each frame.

I'd like a citation of this.

I always just figured that we swapped frames for gameplay integrity and that we weren't really an individual.

I don't like to be the person to give the 'It's just a game' reply, but it makes the most sense to me.

Edited by JohnProdman

Umm I don't recall that I recall them saying that you can upgrade your individual warframes above lvl 30 with focus (weapons included)

Focus is individual for each warframe they don't all share one same focus atleast based on what info DE has given us about the focus system

Edited by Bestfly

DE isn't lazy, in fact they said they didn't want to do that and go the far more complicated route of making different gendered warframes of the same theme. The best excample I have at the moment is, well, Loki and Mirage. It would be FAR easier for DE to just make a female skin for excalibur, or rhino, ect, but they wanted to go the far more difficult path I.E. the not lazy path, and make different genders of the same theme.

As for the focus statement, they stated we would be leveling the player, not the tenno, the player. The best way i've heard it described is that each warframe/tenno is under a house, and that the player is the house master or the house itself. What we do in the focus system is we level the house, which gives benefits to the warframe/tenno in our house.

DE isn't lazy, in fact they said they didn't want to do that and go the far more complicated route of making different gendered warframes of the same theme. The best excample I have at the moment is, well, Loki and Mirage. It would be FAR easier for DE to just make a female skin for excalibur, or rhino, ect, but they wanted to go the far more difficult path I.E. the not lazy path, and make different genders of the same theme.

As for the focus statement, they stated we would be leveling the player, not the tenno, the player. The best way i've heard it described is that each warframe/tenno is under a house, and that the player is the house master or the house itself. What we do in the focus system is we level the house, which gives benefits to the warframe/tenno in our house.

Steve said "the player, the TENNO" in one of the streams as far as I remember.

The "easy" path would be the more satisfying one. I dont want an alternative, I want the same frame in the other gender. Also mirage is never a female alternative to loki, she plays completely different and doesnt even have the same theme (loki = ninja, stealth, manipulator <->  Mirage = prisms, mirrors and big badda boom).

This has been raising my eyebrow for quit some time now tenno dont make sound sept for there walking now moving away from that to be more specific what are the made of or wat they are superhuman beings from anthor planet a robot in disguse and engery based being living in a suit and are they good or bad or they just peace keepers becuse i dont think they can be human, and i wat trying to figure out wat is inside the suit who or wat it is. 

Dont care if they tell on the website wat they are or what there purpose is i want to hear everyons thought on this.

There are some things people should not know. Most things in fact. If you saw what was under their suit, you'd regret it, or go mad. Or both.

Edited by silkygoodness

I'll be throwing some more sh*t into the fan: I find the energy-based lifeform theory most logical. I think that the bleeding we see is the frame itself bleeding, it is a pseudo organic technocyte construct after all. The void just affected the individual Tenno in such a way that it stripped the person of any physical form. 

If you're familiar with Babylon 5, think Tenno as the Vorlons or ascended humans. The Vorlons on B5 are also ascended beings of energy that have no physical body, but exist in a plane above ours. So they must use a special suit to communicate with "lesser" beings. A vorlon outside its suit is seen either as a blinding light or it can change its form to best fit the observant. To humans, they usually take the form of an angel.

Not everything humanoid has to always be human.