Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is This A Good Laptop For Gaming & School

Yazeth

Question

Pretty decent, you've got an amazing CPU and great RAM, it's just your GPU is killing it.

Check this link for what games you can run on it, looks like you can still run warframe.

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=4760&game=Warframe&p_make=Intel&p_deriv=Core+i5-4200M+2.5GHz&gc_make=Nvidia&gc_deriv=GeForce+820M+1GB&ram=8&checkSubmit=#systemRequirements

I'm not too much of a tech person, so I need some opinions. Is this a good laptop for both college work and gaming?

Here's the link to the laptop: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-750gb-hard-drive-gray/5661041.p?id=1219146761966&skuId=5661041&st=categoryid$abcat0502000&cp=1&lp=10

Thanks.

It's way better than the one I'm using right now and I use mine for both, gaming and college.

Any recommendations for what kind of GPU I should be looking for?

An Nvidia x40 or above.

My laptop has a GT 640M and it runs most games without much problem. More recent games make it a touch sluggish though.

The 9xxM series GPUs have just released as well.

What's your budget (total $$) you're able/willing to spend?

If $850 is in that range, I suggest this (after a quick search): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152570

>laptop
>gaming

No.

I'm unemployed. what I have is still better than a laptop, and much more upgradeable.

Some of use like to use our computers anywhere, not just at home. Also you are extremely unhelpful to the OP.

Edited by Rakshal

Look for a GTX graphics card and also a bigger hard drive. Thats all I would recommend, the rest is perfectly fine, especially for the price :)

Having two hard drives help as well but you will have a hard time finding a laptop with two hard drives, and thats why i would recommend buiding yourself your own desktop pc, the most important advantage of it being it wont heat up as easily and you can actually change the graphics card to update the pc in a few years instead of buying a whole new pc.

You should probably tell what your most demanding game is so people can recommend a laptop. I can't really recommend one because I'm not good at these sorta things.

The game that I mostly play is Warframe, so I don't think I'm asking for too much. I usually just play simple games, like Loadout, Robocraft, etc. I'm not gonna play games those big games such as CoD or Titanfall. 

Also, avoid Best Buy, Walmart, Target/Etc like the plague.

You want to get a laptop from Newegg (Tigerdirect and Amazon are okay too, but I really like Newegg because they have fantastic support and pretty awesome prices; keep an eye on the shell shocker and/or daily deals and you might find a great laptop at 30~40% off).