Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

U15 Archwing Request

Vaylord

I just read an interview where it was mentioned that the archwing areas will have the player's orientation locked with a definitive 'up' instead of the freeform style from descent and similar games.  I remember playing many of those games and while I may be in the minority, I actually enjoyed that freestyle play.

Could there be an option to enable the freeform control?  It may not be the prefered style for many but for me and others of similar tastes, it would be nice to be able to have that option of additional freedom and remove the fixed orientation.

To summarize, the fixed orientation would be the default playstyle but there would be an option in the menu to switch the control style to the freeform controls.

And thank you for a great game.

i agree with this however i am unsure if doing so would be a possibility. a button specifically to re-orient you to that "set direction as up" would be necessary along with other ways (2 or more) to rotate your character in space. it honestly would be easier to leave it as is though freestyle would be an option i would love to have.

There was already a thread about this. If memory serves it was said that because it was vomit-inducing they made it non-freeform. 

Trust DE, they got this.

But if it's a toggle-able option, then players would be able to switch to the definitive "up" mode if they feel motionsick.

I have to say, it made me really sad to see we weren't gonna get the legit crazy space walk. I'd really like to see this, but before I say more, I'd like to play this archwing, see how much freedom we do have.

I don't understand what you're requesting.

can someone explain with examples?

Allow us to toggle the archwing mode to remove a fixed point of reference:

No matter the direction you are tilted in, there isn't anything that makes it the "right direction".

I'm having a bit of problem seeing how this freestyle and non-freestyle work.....

Is freestyle something like Ace Combat? Or is like...... "W" key is foward to where your Warframe is facing?

Edited by Kao-Snake

It is not easy to make it toggable...

If you lock one direction as UP, then you need only the 4 usual directionl keys to control the movement up/down/right/left + a key for forward trust.

If you have free movement then you move on 3 axes  and you need 6 keys, 2 or each of pitch, roll and yaw + the forward trust, so the command keys system could require drastic changes to implement both navigation mode at once.

I have to say, it made me really sad to see we weren't gonna get the legit crazy space walk. I'd really like to see this, but before I say more, I'd like to play this archwing, see how much freedom we do have.

Allow us to toggle the archwing mode to remove a fixed point of reference:

No matter the direction you are tilted in, there isn't anything that makes it the "right direction".

You're not helping...

are you suggesting pressing "w" will always move in a specified direction no matter which way I move my camera?

are you suggesting different schemes for "up" where one means "forward" and another means "up" in terms of altitude?

are you suggesting that to move "up", we press "down" as in inverted flight controls??

not clear.

Non Freestyle (there is a reference direction of up) is similar to a planet based flight sim, combat or otherwise.  there are definitive directions.  ie. the ground is down, the sky is up.  and your plane normally needs to be oriented to that in order to be able to maintain flight.

Freestyle (there is no reference direction) is similar to space flight sims.  X-wing, tie- fighter, descent, and freespace would be examples.  the only up and down is the one you create for yourself, and a specific oreintation is not required.

the style they seem to be going with in Warframe is apprently something closer to the first where your character will naturally orientate with a specific and arbitrarily chosen direction as 'up' ie your head goes in that direction.  In most space flight games you tend to orientate to match whatever the nearest larger ship has as an orientation but can also just pick something randomly also.

I prefer the freestyle over the non, but i grew up with and grew accustomed to that style.  I recognize their point of fixing it though because i did have some friends who did not do so well with a free style system.  As i said, i would just like the option to switch to it.

As for the controls, it sounds like they already had a build and control setup which was freestyle so the work to implement that shouldn't be that great, it is already mostly done.

I can hope anyway.

Warframe is a FPS first, and already has so many control assignments.

I like flight sims, but I understand that realistic 6DoF may be a bit hard for the limited amount of controls available, without sacrificing other things. 

It is a fast-paced action game, and my initial opinion (not immutable) is that archwing would not require 6DoF to be fun. The second question, to which I do not have an answer for: Would 6DoF make it MORE FUN? 

The devs have explored this and seem inclined to a 'no' for an answer. I'll wait until I play it to have a more conclusive opinion. 

Edited by BrazilianJoe

There's little to no reason for it to be freeform. In fact as already stated, DE would have to implement even more controls into the game just for it to work correctly.

Let's also keep in mind that it isn't even out yet, thus we don't really know just how it'll play anyway. Demos on livestreams =/= actually playing the game. So how about we just kinda stop finding ways of disappointing ourselves by asking for things that simply cannot be implemented literally a few days before a huge update?

Non Freestyle (there is a reference direction of up) is similar to a planet based flight sim, combat or otherwise.  there are definitive directions.  ie. the ground is down, the sky is up.  and your plane normally needs to be oriented to that in order to be able to maintain flight.

Freestyle (there is no reference direction) is similar to space flight sims.  X-wing, tie- fighter, descent, and freespace would be examples.  the only up and down is the one you create for yourself, and a specific oreintation is not required.

the style they seem to be going with in Warframe is apprently something closer to the first where your character will naturally orientate with a specific and arbitrarily chosen direction as 'up' ie your head goes in that direction.  In most space flight games you tend to orientate to match whatever the nearest larger ship has as an orientation but can also just pick something randomly also.

I prefer the freestyle over the non, but i grew up with and grew accustomed to that style.  I recognize their point of fixing it though because i did have some friends who did not do so well with a free style system.  As i said, i would just like the option to switch to it.

As for the controls, it sounds like they already had a build and control setup which was freestyle so the work to implement that shouldn't be that great, it is already mostly done.

I can hope anyway.

oooh so like non freestyle involves global axes and freestyle involves local axes?

Yeah, in that case I'd definitely prefer freestyle (even if it's harder). Especially in trench runs lol.

That said, I don't feel it's necessary and will be content with the non-freestyle scheme.