Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sentinel Or Kubrow? (+ Some More Stuff)

TheZorkas

Question

Hi there!

I started playing Warframe a few days ago and I'm about 40 Hours into the game. So far I'm really enjoying it (even though I had some problems where I felt way weaker than everyone else and couldn't really do much alone) and I'm currently waiting for my Rhino to finish building, which I am pretty hyped about. :p

So anyway, my main question here is this: What are the main differences between getting a Kubrow and a Sentinel? And which one should I get first? It's probably something I'll spend my next bunch of credits on, so I'd like to know what the most useful "Pets" for a starter are.

Another thing I'd like to know is: How many Warframe slots do I have? I read somewhere that you can somehow check it, but apparently that was still with the old design. Is there any way to check it right now?

And last but not least: Any general tips on what mods you should use/upgrade on Rhino?

Any help will be much appreciated! :)

Edit: One more thing: I built a Boltor and some Kunais since I read they're pretty good. Is that still up2date or should I look for something else? Also: Is Cronus actually a good melee weapon or are there better alternatives (that I can build right now :D)?

Edited by TheZorkas

16 answers to this question

I find both Sentinels and Kubrows extremely useful in the roles they are meant for. That being said, Kubrows are more for late-game, due to what is necessary to not only breed them but also maintain them. Therefore, I recommend starting off with a Sentinel.

As for which one to get, it all depends on your playstyle. Wyrm uses crowd control utility, Shade uses stealth/invisiblity utlity, Carrier uses environmental utility, etc.

You start off with two Warframe slots as far as I am aware, and you can check them in your Inventory menu.

As for Rhino, while I do own and use him, I do not main him, so I am not much help here.

1. Kubrow: high damage versus single targets, tankier even than your frame, with right mods impossible to kill

Sentinels: utility.

Get sentinel first, Kubrows require some late-end game stuff and daily upkeep

2. Esc -> Equipment -> Inventory

3. Shields, health, power strength, power efficiency (Blind Rage + Fleeting Expertise)

4. Boltor is great, so are Kunai. You'll be perfectly fine for a good while.

Cronus is just a notch better, than Skana. No, not really good.

Remember to level all your frames and weapons to 30 before selling them!

Kubrows versus sentinels....

Sentinels are small hovering robots that stick to your head and follow you around. They each have a special ability and a ranged weapon that will fire at nearby enemies like an automatic turret.  Kubrows are dog-like creatures that run next to you. They have special abilities but their only form of attack is various techniques of ripping things apart with their teeth and claws.  Generally speaking sentinels are more reliable at engaging enemies because they can just turn and shoot at anything within range and they have a few more tricks (for example every sentinel can use the mod Guardian which automatically recharges your shields when needed), while each kind of kubrow is a little more specialized (only one has a shield recharge power) but they hit like a truck and are very hard to kill.  Sentinels are cheaper and easier to take care of. Kubrows require significant investment because they expensive to breed, they require expensive "medicine" every few days, and you can only let them die once per day before they start to dislike you.

In general I would recommend that new players look at a sentinel first. Cheaper and more forgiving.

If you a newer player, I definitely suggest that you go for a Sentinel first. Kubrows cost alot of credits to make (100k reactor and credits for buying the bp) as well as high maintenance cost (75k for dna stablizers). In the early game, you wont' have high leveled mods like Redirection and Vitality for your frames to fully take advantage of mods like Link Health and Link Shields. Because breeding is random (unless you trade for imprints) you might not get a useful Kubrow breed or the breed you desire, so I suggest you go for the Sentinal, which costs less credits and resources, as well as the letting you choose which one you want.

you are at 40 hours gameplay so i sugest you to get a sentinel

specific the Carrier with the Sweeper and when you reach

800 hours of gameplay and own all sentinels and kubrow breeds

you will realise that this first choise was the best

At this time believe me that the kubrows are completly useless

only cosmetic showoff and you have to care where are they in

all time bcz they stack in places and atrack your attention.

Sentinels can do anything much better without care

I beg to differ.

Huras' cloaking is superior to Shade's

Raksa has basically a mini-Terrify with no target limit

Your Kubrow will never die with the right mods, even in T4s, whereas Sentinels die left and right

My Huras can clear a line of 3-4 enemies even on later Cerberus rounds ans can oneshot every single Eximus there.

Basically, as I said before - you want utility like Guardian, Sanctuary, Vacuum - go for Sentinels

You want a companion that can dish out tons of damage and is tougher than you - Kubrows all the way.

Basically, as I said before - you want utility like Guardian, Sanctuary, Vacuum - go for Sentinels

You want a companion that can dish out tons of damage and is tougher than you - Kubrows all the way.

Seconded.

Though I will dispute everybody saying that Carrier is the best choice for sentinel. Carrier's special feature is to pick up loot near you, which...is something that you can do yourself with very little effort.  Wyrm's special feature is that he knocks down enemies that come close to you at a greater radius than your own ground slams can do, even when you are disabled yourself.  I have been saved so many times by Wyrm's knockdown.  Also Wyrm's attack radius with his weapon is much larger than Carrier's so you'll notice creepers sooner.

*shrug*

you are at 40 hours gameplay so i sugest you to get a sentinel

specific the Carrier with the Sweeper and when you reach

800 hours of gameplay and own all sentinels and kubrow breeds

you will realise that this first choise was the best

kubrow can be useful.   It just depends on what you want.   A pro slide jump spaz fast travel player can get halfway thru a level on a kubrow stealth without alerting a single mob.   Sniper/stealth/bow users can get a lot of utility from kubrow stealth.  

I really like my digger.  Built to dig, open lockers, and little else,  she kill the occasional idiot that brought a knife to the gunfight (talking to YOU, grineer butchers and friends!).  Without fail, she starts *every single mission* by digging me up some energy balls.  If I wait to go zerking thru the place, she can fill my bar in a min or two, not usually needed but depending on the mission it can be worth waiting for.    The lockers and other loot is just candy; the extra energy is worth so much more.   The lockers add up though.  I generally get about double the cash for a level when using it,  and its extra nice on void missions where the lockers can have an elusive crystal and tend to have a fair bit of cash in each. 

guys 

OP start playing warframe few days and you recommend to

get Kubrow??? it cost a lot more credits and at this stage

he will benefit more from sentinel and in future is questionable

the benefits of Kubrows

In void with a battle sentinel (Wyrm Prime Deathcube Djinn)

with 30m range and well moded weapon (Stinger DeathMachine Prime Laser Rifle)

its not that easy to die a sentinel

BUT he will die first anyway with his loadout  if he tray a T4 mission

The main problem with Kubrows, is their suicidal nature, plus the fact that you have to tale good care of them. 

Sentinels are pretty damn useful, too, just not as damage based as Kubrows. I prefer them since you barely have to worry about them, plus they're smaller and more compact, which is a thing I just love irl too.

I'd advise Shade as a companion. He won't ruin your stealth missions, he looks cool, and Ghost is a life-saver.

guys 

OP start playing warframe few days and you recommend to

get Kubrow??? it cost a lot more credits and at this stage

he will benefit more from sentinel and in future is questionable

the benefits of Kubrows

In void with a battle sentinel (Wyrm Prime Deathcube Djinn)

with 30m range and well moded weapon (Stinger DeathMachine Prime Laser Rifle)

its not that easy to die a sentinel

BUT he will die first anyway with his loadout  if he tray a T4 mission

A bunch of us mentioned that sentinels cost less and are better for starting out.   But that probably can't be said enough as the game steers the player toward the dogs for some reason, making them seem to be the better choice by offering a quest chain for them and shoving it in the player's face. 

A kubrow is only 3k per day.  The lowest level mission grants that much money.  Its not insurmountable to fund one at any level of the game. 

If a new player still find it hard to survive, then an unarmed shade will help a lot by making enemy unable to target them (but still have to watch for those live grenade). Though you'll have to rank it up a bit before it could cloak you.

By the time you feel safe to switch shade with more offensive pet, you'll already have enough resource that you won't feel bad by wrong spending. 

I've only had my kubrow die once in the last month and that was at about the 55 minute mark in a T4 survival mission.

Trust me: kubrows are fur-covered bulldozers.

The archwing expansion seems to have improved their AI.   Its going to cost a *lot* of cores and resources to max one out to your level -- takes a reactor and an insane number of cores/etc to rank the shields/health/armor mods that high.  But with only 3 or 4 points in each they can handle the starmap progression content pretty well for a long, long time.