Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Syndicate Mods Are Disappointing

Seox

To put it up out front, wow, this update looks like the biggest one yet. DE's work doesn't go unappreciated, and I can say with confidence that I absolutely love all that they do for us.

As a veteran, I'm concerned. Go take a look at the U14 Melee 2.0 feedback thread - you'll find pages and pages of players saying that while M2.0 was really cool, the combos are too narrow and deep for warframe and aren't flexible enough to really feel satisfying and mesh with the way the game plays. Melee 2.0 left me and other players feeling stimulated but unsatisfied, as it simply was not deep enough to really feel cool in its own right.

After pages of feedback and lots of work, I can't help but feel that we went unnoticed. When I heard that syndicates would have weapon specific mods that required a lot of favor to earn, I was thinking of something like this:

Glaxion: Cold War -

The Perrin Sequence believe that the corpus are well meaning but have untapped potential. They've taken to overclocking the hell out of the glaxion, altering the way the weapon performs. The glaxion now gains an alt fire that allows it to be charged for a few seconds before releasing a beam of substantially greater width and proc rate, but overheating the weapon for several seconds. 

Or this:

Gorgon: Steel Rain -

Replaces the magazine on the gorgon for a belt, tripling magazine capacity and improving accuracy substantially when stationary, but reducing it while on the move. Enemies fired at are more likely to seek cover and avoid the gunfire.

You know, really meaningful mods that change the way that guns play to make them deeper and more engaging. Instead, we see more of this:

Jaw Sword: Adds 25% melee damage.

Embolist: Adds 50% magazine capacity.

While this might make weapons more competitive, it's certainly not more fun or engaging.

Some of the ability mods are pretty interesting (soul punch revive) and are steps in the right direction, but I can't be the only one disappointed by the potential that's lost on these first mods.

@People who are going to say "they'll release more", that's why I'm giving them feedback on what to release.

TL;DR Syndicate Weapon and Warframe mods aren't deep or interesting for the most part - they're more of the same stats. When will we get Steve's promised mods that mess with gameplay and not numbers? Warframe sorely lacks gameplay that is fun for the sake of gameplay and is too rewards-driven, so it would be nice to see rewards that reinforce and alter the gameplay in a way that is more engaging and deep. 

There's a lot I love about warframe and U15, but this? Not so much.

EDIT: Syndicate Warframe mods are much better about this and better embody the depth warframe needs.

Edited by Seox

keep up with the feedback and they even stated the mods are still under review. I look at it like the stance system they can build on it or in this case add new rewards like you suggested. Might be a good idea to get a feedback on unique mods into one thread as well.

I also have a problem with these augments competing for mod slots since they take mod slots themselves.

Augments like: 

Bolto: Entropy Spike: adds 0.1% projectile explosion chance 
what is this... this means I get 1 explosion out of 1000 rounds I use. bolt does not even have that many rounds... if this had a rank ten it would only reach 1.1% this better be a typo.

Sobek: Shattering Justice: adds 5% status chance
status chance mods are bad as they are but this is lower than the ones we already have. why use this?

Trinity: Well of Life: Pool of Life: On death, marked enemies will drop health orbs with a chance of dropping an energy orb as well.

isn't this what energy vampire is for?

Banshee: Silence: Savage Silence: While active, finisher damage is increased by %.

situational skill made even more situational at the cost of a mod slot.

they all have no chance of seeing the light of day if they are fighting for a mod slot.

Edited by FrostXeno

I love you OP. You say what I'm thinking.

We even finish each others'-

sandwiches.

I'm personally of the opinion that you shouldn't get mods from the syndicates but buffs instead. They can buff the weapon so that whatever stat you are putting on them is native to the weapon and not a mod, thus no competition for mod space. 

Edited by Kestral9999

I dunno, a lot of the frame ones are pretty damn interesting.

I think the blandness of the weapon ones are more to do with them being a lower tier mod than others.

Still there are a few gems, like 0.1 lifesteal on the furis

I agree, the frame ones are pretty nice for the most part.

Not a huge fan of the Rhino one, sadly :( Boo.

You guys do realize that this is just DE testing the waters with augment mods, right? It even says in the update notes that they will be listening to player feedback to develop new mods. Just be patient and they'll eventually add new, more powerful mods

That is kind of the whole point of this post, feedback on the mods and what they could do to make them more... interesting.

There are a series of mods which actually greatly change the behavior of skills in a meaningful way, almost enough to change the way a player might view a teamates choice of frame.

The ones that simply add on elemental damage are not one of them. They if anything seem to be harmful in that some of them can mess up peoples elemental combos. I'll have to play around with them but it seems like the only frames that benefit from this type of power alteration are those who have powers that boost overall damage on the type they give out. Can you guess which frames these are? Its Ember, just ember. Even then its not a very interesting or imaginative change.

You guys do realize that this is just DE testing the waters with augment mods, right? It even says in the update notes that they will be listening to player feedback to develop new mods. Just be patient and they'll eventually add new, more powerful mods

I specifically addressed this point in the OP.

I also have a problem with these augments competing for mod slots since they take mod slots themselves.

Augments like: 

Bolto: Entropy Spike: adds 0.1% projectile explosion chance 

what is this... this means I get 1 explosion out of 1000 rounds I use. bolt does not even have that many rounds... if this had a rank ten it would only reach 1.1% this better be a typo.

Sobek: Shattering Justice: adds 5% status chance

status chance mods are bad as they are but this is lower than the ones we already have. why use this?

Trinity: Well of Life: Pool of Life: On death, marked enemies will drop health orbs with a chance of dropping an energy orb as well.

isn't this what energy vampire is for?

Banshee: Silence: Savage Silence: While active, finisher damage is increased by %.

situational skill made even more situational at the cost of a mod slot.

they all have no chance of seeing the light of day if they are fighting for a mod slot.

Dont forget Zephyr's Dive Bomb mod, instead of enemies on the floor or dead now they are on the floor together (or dead too, i guess) why dont make a Tail Wind (used from the floor) let Zephyr hover at the end of the tail wind until energy rans out or you tail wind again (it can also make any Tail Wind used that ends in the air make Zephyr stay hovering unless you Tail Wind to the floor or press jump to cancel the hover

I was about to make a post about this same thing (weapon mods, not ability mods)

Here's the list

New Mods - Syndicate Weapon Mods (x18)

• Acrid: Toxic Sequence: adds 50% status duration.        
  • Bolto: Entropy Spike: adds 0.1% projectile explosion chance
  • Burston Prime: Gilded Truth: adds 20% fire rate
  • Dark Dagger: Gleaming Blight: adds 25% status chance
  • Dual Cleavers: Justice Blades: adds 25% melee damage
  • Embolist: adds 50% magazine capacity
  • Furis: Winds of Purity: adds 0.1 life steal
  • Grinlok: Deadly Sequence: adds 50% crit chance
  • Hek: Scattered Justice: adds 50% multishot
  • Jaw Sword: adds 25% melee damage.
  • Kestrel: Entropy Flight: adds 35% flight speed
  • Mire: Toxic Blight: adds 25% extra poison damage
  • Skana: Bright Purity: adds 25% damage
  • Sobek: Shattering Justice: adds 5% status chance
  • Spectra: Sequence Burn: adds 5m range
  • Supra: Entropy Burst: Adds 5% status chance
  • Viper: Stinging Truth: Adds 10 magazine capacity
  • Vulkar: Lasting Purity: adds 15% dead aim

What? So basically, all of the syndicate weapon mods are things you can already replicate with OTHER mods in game? Except...worse?

Very disappointing. Rest of U15 looks groundbreaking, but this just looks rushed and forced. As in, at the last min, someone said "crap, we forgot to make the syndicate weapon mods! OK, here's a super fast list".

I was about to make a post about this same thing (weapon mods, not ability mods)

You better make that thread. I was just about to. Seriously, I expected changes to the way guns fire and more deep and interesting properties instead of flat stat increases that are already possible.

I expected things like strange modifiers on things that couldn't already be modified. Ogris gets lockon or shotguns getting falloff or range changes, anything that's not this. Like, with the warframe ability mutators there were some that proved to be interesting meaningful changes to the powers (While others are bland or outright wastes of slots given the role or dynamics of the frame they are attached to). But with the weapons maybe one or two are truly different.

You better make that thread. I was just about to. Seriously, I expected changes to the way guns fire and more deep and interesting properties instead of flat stat increases that are already possible.

I expected things like strange modifiers on things that couldn't already be modified. Ogris gets lockon or shotguns getting falloff or range changes, anything that's not this. Like, with the warframe ability mutators there were some that proved to be interesting meaningful changes to the powers (While others are bland or outright wastes of slots given the role or dynamics of the frame they are attached to). But with the weapons maybe one or two are truly different.

The below sorts of mods were was what I was expecting:

So...how About We Actually Customize Our Weapons?

Those are along the exact lines of what I had in mind, so it sounds like we're on the same page. I really want to see more like those.

I think they just ran out of time and wanted to deliver quickly. There's no way they'd put this much effort into the syndicate system, and (some) rather thoughtful ability mods and then release this half-@$$ed list of weapon mods.

I expect that more, better mods will show up. This thread and others will hopefully get DE back on the right track. U15 has the right ideas in terms of depth so far...keep it up DE.

I think they just ran out of time and wanted to deliver quickly. There's no way they'd put this much effort into the syndicate system, and (some) rather thoughtful ability mods and then release this half-@$$ed list of weapon mods.

I expect that more, better mods will show up. This thread and others will hopefully get DE back on the right track. U15 has the right ideas in terms of depth so far...keep it up DE.

You could say the same about melee 2.0 which is notorious for stances with combos that are difficult to pull off and not proportionately rewarding for the effort required in much of the game's content despite there being almost nothing challenging in the game for experienced players. I love DE, and I have a lot of faith in them, but I'm not convinced they're necessarily above bad design sometimes.

They absolutely shine when it comes to taking feedback, so I'm hoping with you that they'll take us up on this.

Edited by Seox

You could say the same about melee 2.0 which is notorious for stances with combos that are difficult to pull off and not proportionately rewarding for the effort required in much of the game's content despite there being almost nothing challenging in the game for experienced players. I love DE, and I have a lot of faith in them, but I'm not convinced they're necessarily above bad design sometimes.

They absolutely shine when it comes to taking feedback, so I'm hoping with you that they'll take us up on this.

True, but Melee 2.0 was flawed in its concept, not in execution. Melee combos in a game where you can 1 hit (or button mash) most enemies when appropriately modded was a silly idea.

Even if they made the combos have a larger payoff at the end, you'd be using that "payoff" on a group of dead enemies whom you just killed with the first 4 hits in your combo. Combos should have built up a "super" meter, which should give you energy to pull off AoE melee special attacks, or anything else like that which rewards skillful play, yet acknoweldges the fact that enemies are fodder.

Anyway :P on topic. I believe the framework/concept of syndicate mods, rewards and sigils looks good on paper. It's a great start, so now lets make some noise and get better mods/rewards in there :)

I want an augmentation mod for one of the thrown secondary weps. Like being able to trow more than one of them at a time but a lil less fire rate to go with it. ranking it up throws more of them. I want a shotgun haiku :U

or maybe something for the bows where while the arrow is pulled back it changes its stats? like pulling it back will cycle the arrows through puncture, slash, and impact but a reduction to base damage. the arrow head could also have an animation where its changing between the 3 to show what its going to do. or maybe holding it will have a homing effect? pulling the arrow back for 2-3 seconds will magnetize the arrow so it will home in on the enimies head.

Dual pistols. holding the right mouse button will make 2 crosshairs apear that seperate from eachother so you can shoot in 2 difrent directions at a 15-20 degre angle. or maybe each gun is mapped to their own buttons. like shooting the gun in your right hand is M1 and the one in your left is M2 so it gives you a sudo burst.

I want to see stuff like that.

I'm somewhat disappointed with a lot of these as well.  I was kind of picturing some sort of augmentation to the warframe's more popular abilities--something maybe permanent and powerful, that gave your frame distinction as a "Perrin Sequence Desecrate Nekros," for instance.

Instead it looks as if they're using this as an opportunity to get players to use skills that are rarely used.  That seems less like "the icing on the cake" than it does "the hidden vegetable in your cake."  Not really something you look forward to.

Besides that, the costs already seem insane.  I see it's going to take 300k credits to get my next rank with the Perrin Sequence.  That's not a huge deal, but it's...the second rank.  Sure, I like the sound of Nekros' new ability, but if it were something like Mag's new Pull augment (pulls items as well as mobs), it would be near the bottom of my priority list (btw, I'm sure that that's going to become the next big trolling device--pulling rare mods away from lowbies) (I have to say that it does have some potential during excavation missions)...

Instead it looks as if they're using this as an opportunity to get players to use skills that are rarely used.  That seems less like "the icing on the cake" than it does "the hidden vegetable in your cake." 

Wow, you put that really well.

I have no issue with this actually, but that's a great point.

Supra got a flight speed mod and not a dmg mod :I

Please guys lets beg de tomake it a dmg mod

nope its a status chance mod which isnt that much usefull either

• Supra: Entropy Burst: Adds 5% status chance
Edited by Aeon66