Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Syndicate Mods Are Disappointing

Seox

These are definitely meh (and I guess I sort of made a post about that too).

I'm hoping it gets fixed/tuned before getting dropped on the consoles.  Right now, my interest in doing anything with syndicates has completely deflated because I have no interest in any of the rewards.  It's like discovering every syndicate offers a specific flavor of PEZ.  Yes, I might like some flavors more than others, but ultimately, PEZ aren't very desirable or worth a great time investment to procure.

They had the right idea with the one's like nekros' soul punch, although the negatives are too large as of now it is still an extremely unique idea that could completely change the way a frame is played, not something like trinity's well of life/mag's pull augments that are completely worthless or redundant and don't add anything really unique to them, not to mention nobody would want to waste a slot on either of them. People would slot maglev/warm coat before they slotted trinity's WoL augment.

Frankly I was hoping for something a little more drastic or cool. For instance cluster grenades or sticky grenades for the penta. Splitter rockets for Ogris. So on and so forth.

I was also hoping for a augmenter that made Frost's snowglobe not create a shield, but instead create a mobile slow field centered around frost that was affected by range mods (while the snowglobe itself is affected by range mods, the slow field currently is not affected) or even one that made snowglobe mobile, centered around Frost like arctic eximus shields.

Possibly an Ice Wave augmenter that made it persist to continue dealing damage after the initial burst, or leave a trail of ice that slowed enemies (or more comically as my clan leader suggested: chance for mobs to slip and fall) that walked through it.

I think syndicate mods could be quite powerful. 

It's not about power - I have no doubt that some of these mods could be very competitive. It's about engaging gameplay and variety/depth of mechanics. What Warframe needs is more emergent gameplay, and Steve and the gang have long contended that they want to hide the complexity of the game from beginners so that they only have a few things to work with that expand into many options late game. Syndicates are lategame, but we don't see more complexity or depth in the gameplay that arises from their mods, and this shouldn't be.

I completely agree with the OP (and everyone else here it seems) I do like that they have started their focus on weapons that don't see much use however.

Just a question though, does anyone know what Dead Aim refers to on the Vulkar mod, is that accuracy or a timed damage buff etc? Of all of them that's the only one that isn't self explanatory to me.

I'm going to be honest. I thought special weapon modifications meant stuff like the Tiberon.

Like, literal modification.

Like Syndicates would give us a special blueprint to turn our Hek into a Hekasaurus Rex or something nuts. A blueprint that would completely evolve our weapons.

I'm going to be honest. I thought special weapon modifications meant stuff like the Tiberon.

Like, literal modification.

Like Syndicates would give us a special blueprint to turn our Hek into a Hekasaurus Rex or something nuts. A blueprint that would completely evolve our weapons.

There's no reason they couldn't have special weapon mods AND weapon blueprints.  The current selection is limited and... dull for the most part.  There's maybe one weapon I use occasionally that has a mod, and even that one doesn't seem worth the time (e.g. - leveling up a single faction over the course of days/weeks to get more damage out of a single weapon).  That's to say nothing of the ability mods.

Has anyone been able to actually test the syndicate mods? I don't think anyone has the reputation to buy them yet, so only the testers of the beta of the beta(like PBE in LoL) have seen what they actually do.  I could be wrong.

If grinlok's mod adds 50% extra base though, then it can make the grinklok's gimmick being the highest crit chance in the game((15+50)* point strike value).

I don't know about you guys but some of them look quite interesting. Supra and Sobek gets a flat status chance if I'm not looking at it wrong. It doesn't have a percentage value. Status Duration on Acrid is not something we can really mod for too. Most are quite disappointing though.

Has anyone been able to actually test the syndicate mods? I don't think anyone has the reputation to buy them yet, so only the testers of the beta of the beta(like PBE in LoL) have seen what they actually do.  I could be wrong.

If grinlok's mod adds 50% extra base though, then it can make the grinklok's gimmick being the highest crit chance in the game((15+50)* point strike value).

It was listed as 50% crit chance when I checked straight after the update, but I've noticed that it is now listed as +200%. I would imagine that this means it is multiplied like point strike

I find that some of the syndicate mods are great, but some are not really useful. I mean, mirage's exclusive mod lets her illusions do more damage as they kill more things, and mirage is already the most powerful frame by a landslide and three quarters. Then you have abilities like mag's.... all it does is pull loot towards you when you use pull... heheh, good one DE, wheres the real mag mod? All that one does is do carrier's job but with more effort.

And idk if it's just me, but most if not all of the weapon exclusive mods are either un-optimal or extremely situational. Ontop of that, there are not alot of mods for weapons either. I believe that this system definitely has potential, but at the same time it seems like it's a little.... underwhelming at the moment.

Edited by Flowen231

I have to admit, I am a bit dissapointed with the new mods. Most weapon mods are just redundant, other downright useless.

Also, the batch of frame mods... Dear devs, you could at least try to conceal better the fact that these are just there to give some incentive (Epic fail for some, big GG for others) to use worthless abilities. For instance, the Rhino or Nyx augments are... laughable. I'm sorry, I really am, but they suck, hard. Take the new Pacifying Bolts for instance (I am a Nyx enthusiast after all...), what is the point? We already have Chaos, Mind Control and even Absorb to CC enemies. So why put another pointless and honeslty sucky CC on Psychic Bolts? It's a terribad ability, rework it, don't add more pointless stuff on it, for Lotus' sake...

Edited by Marthrym

Syndicate mods are bad and for useless weapons, boost for these weapons should be much more, i hardly can do any run with team, before entering map , game freezes for very long time and i disconnect and after reinvite same story so cant join game, sometimes someone else disconnect, for now i not played any run without this issue, playing S#&$ty archeage afk game till fixed.

Only a hand full of mods are useful, considering the amount of grind and death threats you'll get just to get them makes it more frustrating.

If DE added another zero on those numbers then it might be something to work for.

I know DE is trying to give old weapons like hek, jaw sword, or the spectra some degree of usability again, but please make it so that is will be very noticeable.

0.1% chance for projectile explosion? WUT?????? we have the Attica for that thank you very much.

Warframe Mods are ok at least. But I do hope for more augmentation mods to come to expand their utility more.

Not to mention to push all those numbers through the roof  and being omnipotent to some extent which the game centers on.

Syndicate mods cost a mod costing a mod slot might be the problem and the solution. As it is a syndicate mod trades 12.5% of your mod space for THAT? WHAT? REALLY? make the mod sometimes worth considering for use in a mod slot and all this will be good. 

I'm seeing a lot of posts like this that I feel miss the point.

It's not about damage at all. Sure, a mod that gives a weapon 15x damage will make you more effective, but a "weapon augment" or "warframe augment" mod implies that it should really change the behavior of the item in a meaningful way, not add the same damage types that ordinary mods can add or give an ally a boost to damage that they may not even recognize has been applied to them. Doing this in a fun way would mean creating mods that change the way you play the game - mods like Nekros's soul punch revive or Nova's null star mod. It's the mods that let you tweak the playstyle that will really be more enjoyable to use, and the syndicate mods (and mods in general) are sorely lacking this.

While the weapon proc effects sound cool on paper (justice, etc), they're common to all syndicate mods. That's gonna make it hard to feel like your setup is unique and feels particular to your combination of weapon and augment.

This is why Warframe really doesn't have meaningful "build diversity" - there aren't many alternatives that are both competitive and that also meaningfully alter the way you use a weapon or frame. It's all just build max DPS and use the frame/weapon as anyone else would.

Edited by Seox

I totally agree with the OP, he pretty much summed up what I was thinking, when I saw the weapon specific mods.  We have been waiting for them for a LONG time, I remember the topic comming up even as far back as when clans came out.

TL;DR Syndicate Weapon and Warframe mods aren't deep or interesting for the most part - they're more of the same stats. When will we get Steve's promised mods that mess with gameplay and not numbers? Warframe sorely lacks gameplay that is fun for the sake of gameplay and is too rewards-driven, so it would be nice to see rewards that reinforce and alter the gameplay in a way that is more engaging and deep. 

Underlined part:  This really what I want, mods that really have an effect on the weapon, not just buff it. 

And as for the part about lacking gameplay that is fun for the sake of gameplay, I was really hoping they would go in this dirrection for the "end game" content this year was supposed to be seeing.