Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Add Ability To Disable Unwanted Power Mods!

superbot34

Okay, i am obviously in the minority when i say that i never want to accidently use a power that i hate when i have a build that makes that power overly expensive or useless. There should be an option in the mod menu to still be able to disable or enable powers that you do not like and do not wish to use. 

For me, i have terrible number coordination meaning, a can NOT press numbers 1-4 without looking at my keyboard first. This means my split timing with powers is severely limited. So i have to use my mouse wheel to scroll through powers, but my mouse wheel is loose and crappy. so i think you can guess what happens. 

i KNOW you won't give us this option and although i appreciate this update, i just want you guys at DE to know that this has severely limited my ability to have fun. my nekros has a build which causes his abilities to become severely expensive to cast with blind rage. guess what i did throughout the mission? cast desecrate which drained most of my energy and only reached 10 meters because of that build, and i also casted terrify to the same effect.

i would more calmly write a polite complaint about this if i my face wasn't red hot with frustration at the though that i must look at my keyboard from now on to use my powers. that, and the thought of all the negative snarky comments this will get from this animalistic community. :( 

These sort of issues were bound to come up when you change something that should have never occurred in the first place.  IMO You should have never been able to remove powers from your frame for the sake of min/maxing; the powers are part of what make the frame what it is.  You didn't need to use them sure but they should always be there and now that issue is corrected.

As far as your problem goes this sounds more a hardware problem (aka your mouse wheel).  A non-loose wheel could help you a lot but in either case people generally gain an affinity over new settings over time.  Like increasing turn camera speeds until you get use to it faster than it was before.  Short term, it sucks but long term its a good thing. Its just something you adapt and get use too.

Atm at the beginning of the mission I have to use mouse scroll or my "selected power" key does not respond.

Not sure if this will be fixed but I have to do it also after respawn, falling to pit, decyfring.

All these actions and more also reset my map from center view  :P

And about scrolling through powers... I needed a mouse with macros anyway, moving on.

These sort of issues were bound to come up when you change something that should have never occurred in the first place.  IMO You should have never been able to remove powers from your frame for the sake of min/maxing; the powers are part of what make the frame what it is.  You didn't need to use them sure but they should always be there and now that issue is corrected.

As far as your problem goes this sounds more a hardware problem (aka your mouse wheel).  A non-loose wheel could help you a lot but in either case people generally gain an affinity over new settings over time.  Like increasing turn camera speeds until you get use to it faster than it was before.  Short term, it sucks but long term its a good thing. Its just something you adapt and get use too.

remember that DE is going to implement warframe powers that can be used on any frame, that means eventually they will have to implement slots or something like that eventually. 

As much as I think DE should make things convenient for players, not being able to hit the buttons 1-4 on your keyboard seems to me like something ridiculously unreal. Unless you're using a keyboard that is new/not yours, I don't see how that is humanly possible. Being able to hit just 4 keys on the keyboard  that are literally in a row doesn't require the highest level of hand-eye coordination skills nor muscle memory. Should be something really basic for the average gamer.

Your issue has to do with your gear and self. Not the game. Judging by the reason you have given, i can safely assume you do not play much on a PC.  The set up in warframe is common in pc games. #1-7 are rather common to be used on a shooter. If you just can't reach the # keys, then re-bind them around the WASD cluster. As someone who plays PC games you should at least be familiar with keys Q - T down to to Z - V. 

If you don't have muscle memory for those keys I recommend purchasing a quality  gaming mouse. Having a "tactile" scrolling wheel, dps profiles, and extra thumb buttons are a sort of need for anyone that cares to play more than browser based video games on any PC.

If you don't like any of the options I gave I recommend learning how to type on the keyboard or just switch over to console. (Or get a game pad, although I'm not certain how good one will perform on this game)

bump 

Your issue has to do with your gear and self. Not the game. Judging by the reason you have given, i can safely assume you do not play much on a PC.  The set up in warframe is common in pc games. #1-7 are rather common to be used on a shooter. If you just can't reach the # keys, then re-bind them around the WASD cluster. As someone who plays PC games you should at least be familiar with keys Q - T down to to Z - V. 

If you don't have muscle memory for those keys I recommend purchasing a quality  gaming mouse. Having a "tactile" scrolling wheel, dps profiles, and extra thumb buttons are a sort of need for anyone that cares to play more than browser based video games on any PC.

If you don't like any of the options I gave I recommend learning how to type on the keyboard or just switch over to console. (Or get a game pad, although I'm not certain how good one will perform on this game)

1-4 is never used in any games that i play. 

This is actually not a bad suggestion. It's just the ability to disable powers. A simple button in the ability screen that darkers/lights up the ability description. Sometimes you just want two powers and the ability to quickly switch between them via mousewheel.

For those that are against it, I want to point out this would not affect you in any way and demanding people to 'git gud' or to fork over cash just because they use different input schemes is, IMO, incredibly rude.

Edited by Kyte

This is actually not a bad suggestion. It's just the ability to disable powers. A simple button in the ability screen that darkers/lights up the ability description. Sometimes you just want two powers and the ability to quickly switch between them via mousewheel.

For those that are against it, I want to point out this would not affect you in any way and demanding people to 'git gud' or to fork over cash just because they use different input schemes is, IMO, incredibly rude.

and again as i said, DE is going to release warframe mods that can be used with any frame. that means they have to have some sort of slotting system anyway. so eventually DE will have slots for mods and i will bump up this thread to show that the system could have been implemented sooner. 

bump 

1-4 is never used in any games that i play. 

Even if 1-4 is never used, you most likely use the keys around WASD. As I mention, rebind keys to other keys that should be more comfortable to use, or try the alternatives I mentioned.

Oh, I'm extremely curious on what games have you played or currently do? I don't mean to get personal, but aside point-&-click game or flash games, there are few that don't use the #s OR several other letter keys. I'm guessing you are new to PC as a platform or just a "light" user when it comes to games on a PC. Either way, the issue you are having is a lot similar to someone that has problems using a console controller who then wants the developers to make the game adapt so that less use of said controller is needed to play the game. Honestly, it's just silly. (unless there is a physical inability, even then I've read of ppl using custom set-ups)

I'm not pro or against this issue that keeps coming up.  My main issue is with the reasoning players give as to why they want to, basically, return to the old system. Not only does it go against the whole purpose of the change DE has implemented, but I've yet to read a worthwhile argument as to why we should go back to not having available all the abilities on a frame. PC as a platform gives the developers AND users great flexibility.  The Devs work hard so that this game is available across many different types of systems(granted they aren't the best), so the least one can do is take care of issues that are on the user side.

Besides, purchasing better/quality input hardware for a pc isn't just throwing money around, it's an investment. A mouse and/or a keyboard are used for almost everything in a pc. Having better hardware just improves the overall usage. Oh, since you mentioned, having a good mouse wheel can make the #buttons almost obsolete. Depending on the hardware, some of us can already easily and accurately scroll between powers.

First, addressing your request: what you can do is at the start of a mission just take 15 seconds and rebind your keys to make abilities "castable" or not. Find some keys that aren't used (probably numpad or [ ]'s should work) and bind the abilities you don't want to cast there. Then as you're playing, feel free to hit the keys and only spells you want to cast should be cast. Depending on how often you change frames it may be annoying to rebind keys at the start, but it only takes 15 seconds or so and should help a lot.

Secondly, addressing your build: sounds like you're running a Shadows of the Dead Nekros with Blind Rage and Narrowminded. If you aren't already I'd really suggest using a maxed Fleeting Expertise and Streamline, which even with Blind Rage will give +35% efficiency meaning it only costs 65 energy to cast SotD. The -duration on Fleeting Expertise is sad but being able to cast more is definitely worth it.

Edited by AluvianSprinter

I use a program called X-Mouse button control. It can be set so that when you hold say, the mouse wheel button down, it remaps the WASD keys to the numbers 1-4. That kind of system should be intuitive enough for setups where you are talking you keys off movement keys for a fraction of a second to cast anilities like the numbers 1-4, and because your fingers are ALREADY on the WASD anyway, its faster.

I also have one of these

... and a SpaceOrb. But no drivers for windows 7 :( ... or a serial port anymore for that matter.

Edited by DSpite