Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Trying To Up My Graphics Ante

Colaii

Question

6 answers to this question

well don't know about that low im running a EVGA GeForce GTX650 ti an i know that a big difference but t runs like a dream with all specs on high and the nividia particles as i call them on so maybe it shouldn't be too bad maybe on med specs

What res are you running at? I really doubt a 610 is going to get you anything higher than low. It'll probably be a step up from integrated, but that's it, a single step. If your res is higher than 1024x768, you might be better off saving up for a better card (550/650 or higher [or amd equivalent]).

With Nvidia graphics cards the first digit is the hardware generation, and the second is the card's position in that generation regarding it's performance.

My GTX690 is about as good as it gets for gaming, but a GT610 is going to be complete garbage, even though it's new.  Heck, my 5 year old 8800GTS can outperform the GT640 (after Nvidia hit 9800, they took an 0 off, put the letters before the numbers, and started the next generation at 1X0).

For the same money you'd be better off looking at second hand cards in the 500 or 400 series, with higher middle digits, as they will outperform the bottom end of the latest generation by a very large margin.  Really anything below an X50 shouldn't be considered a gaming graphics card, unless you're playing 2D platformers and facebook games, simply because they can't handle the complexity of current 3D games.

If you want an idea of how well a card performs, you can use the chart at http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-card-review,review-32671-7.html or use the tool at http://www.hwcompare.com to compare pairs of cards to each other.