Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shotguns Require And Have Required Changes For A Long Time: They Lack Damage, Range, Have Poor Pellet Mechanics

Neocyberman

You have a funny way of buffing the shotgun in the way that makes a mod completely useless and don't realize how powerful they would get.

They just need to remove the damage fall off and maybe buff some mods with some extra levels. But giving them the ability to shoot through targets right away is just ridiculous. Also with Strun Wraith I have no issues with groups and I don't use Seeking Force.

You have a funny way of buffing the shotgun in the way that makes a mod completely useless and don't realize how powerful they would get.

It's a suggestion I make based on experience, though sure, there is probably a problem somewhere I don't understand.

Without punch through on shotguns, I'm lucky to kill 2 enemies with a shot. Reloading and hiding constantly takes up a lot of time. It slows the game way down on solo, which is neither good or bad. It's a shotgun not a machine gun after all, I just don't like it.

Using Hek as an example:

Against Corpus/Grineer

Those enemies like to scatter and take cover, without PT I kill 1 with each shot. With PT and some clever positioning I can consistently take out 2 or 3 at a time, as well as kill the ones behind cover at a safer distance. In other words, the rate at which you kill things with Shotguns doubles to triples when PT is introduced. However, that in no way means you'll be flying through the level, because reloading the small mags does take time. Shoot, hide, reload, repeat.

Against Infested

Oh dear goddess, if I didn't have PT I'd be murdered within 5 seconds lol. Without PT I kill 1 or 2 enemies, so if I were using a 4 shot Hek, I kill like 4 to 5 enemies and then reload, giving the last 3 or 4 infested time to close the gap and shred me apart. Remember, Infested love to bum rush you, not run away like the other guys, so taking cover doesn't help. You have to keep running or kill them outright.

Infested love to clump together, because of that PT is fantastic. I can hold off infested armies with Hek alone, each shot obliterates like 3 to 4 Infested, giving me breathing room to reload, resupply, etc.

Anyway, this is my experience using only the shotgun, not using powers. Once powers are introduced (like Sonic Boom) shotguns are a lot easier to use. Status procs also help a lot, though I'd like those to happen more often.

Can you post a vid or explain how you play with Strun Wraith? I don't have it

Edited by DarkTails

Based on what you are saying, punch through seems like too much, but alternatives like stagger seem like too little.

A combination of innate stagger (although that should probably be left weapon specific) and punch through on kill only would probably fill the crowd-control power gap.

If the game could handle it, having corpses ragdoll backwards dealing stagger and damage on anything they touch would be nice.

That said, if you are suggesting only a little punch through, enough for extremities only, that would probably be fair.

Can you post a vid or explain how you play with Strun Wraith? I don't have it

Youtube also butcher the quality too.

It's not hard to use it. Point on enemy in close range and fire. This is a T3 Mobile Defense so the enemies are quite powerful. Those heavy gunners take 2 or 3 shots to down.

If I'm up against infested it'll go better because I will proc gas attack a lot and I have very high damage with gas. For Void I switch to Blast and Corrosive.

Edited by LtZefar

I don't see any issue with removing damage falloff entirely without ifs ands or buts.

We've reached the point where "sniping with a Hek" would be a non issue since we can fill a large room with death via rapid application of Boltor Prime/Soma (and operate at a much safer range even to a non damage falloff Boar Prime), and our dedicated sniping weapons would still hold a better position in terms of long range accuracy and damage per shot at such ranges.

tl;dr DE already fixed the old problem of powerful shotguns by buffing everything else. They just need to un-nerf shotguns now.

Rofl, you're using a Rhino, everything is easy for you to use when you dont have to worry about getting shot xD

Thanks anyway :)

My Iron skin doesn't last very long on T3 mission and I generally just pick Rhino because he's the fastest in the game. Plus I hate bleed procs and other bull mechanics.

For me it makes little difference on which Warframe I use on T3 when I got a powerful weapon.

The Tigris isn't bad mechanically, it is just let down by stats.

What it should be is a weapon for killing the S#&$ out of the big bad enemies. Both barrels straight to the face, resulting in total annihilation of that enemy.

If you used the Claymore in ME3 MP you will know what I am talking about.

The problem is that other weapons do the same thing better, without the drawbacks that the Tigris has.

I use the Tigris as an example here, but the same goes for all shotguns.

They seem great early on when they one shot all the things, while enemies nibble away at your shields.

Later on they don't scale as well and can't put out the Dps either.

At some point I'll forma up my Strun Wraith to see how competitive it is as a primary weapon, but I doubt it will be all that great.

I just want to point out that shotgun pistols are mechanically identical to shotgun primaries. In the datafiles, a shotgun is merely a gun with a natural pellet count of >1, regardless of its equip slot. (Ammo type and mod compatibility are set independently)

So the difference between a shotgun and a shotgun pistol wrt status and crit is only confirmation bias.

I agree with the overall post, though.

Edited by Kyte

Just remove damage fall-off already... please. We're no longer at U7 where people wanted sidegrading arsenals and the Hek was out-sniping the Latron and Snipetron. Shotguns have spread which already limits their performance at range, please just get rid of falloff.

if the critical + status chance was better up close with those values also getting fall of along with damage would give shotguns a role of inflicting critical and statuses on closer targets to use death and status mechanics to protect the player from damage would be optimal. Although giving shotguns innate punch-though with falloff(for the innate, not the modded) would also be awesome.

• 1 month later...