Are All Akimbo Sidearms That Inferior To Akbolto?

-Vane-

Question

I've got a friend of mine who has about 200 hours on the game ( i've got 500+) and he got akbolto just recently, he keeps telling me omg akboltos the best omg so strong, bulls*** right? But this made me thinking, are all akimbo weapons that inferior to the akboltos? I'm pretty sure akmagnus can outdamage it, but what about the others?

24 answers to this question

the akbolto were my first side arm, and they can be very strong..

but there not hit scan and move kinda slow, they are also puncture based, so they have there downsides

right now i think that side arms that deal slashing would be best as there are more slash dmg mods out right now

To be honest I put the akboltor as one of my best aide arms. They can be nodded with forma to put out decent damage numbers especially against grineer and with the projectile physics its like have a boltor as your secondary, they also have a good sized mag.

Yes there are definatly higher damage per shot wise weapons but damage per second I put Akbolto in my top 3, potentially my top 1 as I vs grineer a lot and love the slightly delayed projectile.

Even though my love for Lex family of pistols is eternal. The Boltos aren't bad choices either, but the key to absolute mayhem with them (or any quick-firing semi-auto weapon) is to bind the "fire" key to your mouse scroll. You can have two different bindings for primary fire, so it won't require much getting used to, and it basically lets you fire as fast as you can scroll. Saved me from carpal-tunnel back in the days of Acrid being king.

Boltos main disadvantage to me is also their main advantage: they're bolt weapons. Which means you can't snipe with them like a Lex, and if things get right up in your grill, they go crosseyed and can't hit things. Thats do to the limitations of being a projectile weapon, all projectile weapons spawn their respective bullets from the tip of the gun (as they should) which can make things very hard to hit with the tip of your gun is further away than the critter in your face. Hit-scan weapons don't have that issue, since bullets are never rendered. So if your reticle is over the target, it's getting a bullet (minus weapon inaccuracy stats)

In terms of DPS, Akbolto actually do have very high theoretical DPS. The highest of all the akimbo weapons, and near the top of the DPS list for secondaries (if I remember correctly). 

However, they require you to click ridiculously fast and have a perfect frame rate in order to reach this DPS. Wraith Twin Vipers are the other akimbo secondary which have comparable DPS but they also have a huge drawback of eating all your ammo in 30 seconds. 

Therefore, Akvasto and Akmagnus are usually preferred.