Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Radial Javelin Thoughts/ideas

Zenophobia

Need more utility on javelin and slash dash
What about knockdown after got hit by javelin?

slash dash needs a buff or even a rework tbh....radial javelin still aint all that great an Super Jump...still not that great.

The buffs are nice, the blind nerf was needed  but Excal simply doesn't measure up to other frames even with the buffs-  What he needs is an actual rework, not bandaging.

The 4 change is upsetting. They could have fixed Javelin's mechanics and added some more power to justify its limitations but instead they made it a generic radial nuke+cc ability with no thought involved.  This leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

How about if instead of a large AoE burst damage, radial javelin made a small aoe continuous high damage? Radial Javelin could make a storm of blades swirl around Excalibur but only at melee range, dealing high slash damage to all touching enemies. The effect would maybe also give excal a speed boost and damage mitigation or even knockdown immunity for its duration. This would synergize perfectly with slash dash. Pop radial javelin to create massive tight AoE damage, and then slash dash into a mob of enemies. This would turn excal into a melee monster, which surprisingly, we don't have a frame made for yet. The blades would deal slash damage so that lighter enemies would be sliced to bits, but excal would still need to utilize his weapons to take down armored enemies such as corrupted heavies. Since power duration is pretty important to excalibur, this would additionally make it easy to mod for this warframe for beginning players.

Excalibur already has an amazing kit: great mobility coupled with great CC. Now all he needs is damage to fit that kit.

Edit: Also nice to note that this would synergize beautifully with the new excalibur-specific mod.

Edited by Zenophobia

I personally don't think that Radial Javelin needs a full-out scrap and rework. Perhaps make it so that the Javelins ragdoll all enemies (pinning themselves to whatever surface that they fly onto, and let them slowly pull themselves free if they're still alive), and have each Javelin contribute to the Melee combo counter. Kinda like a slow, 360-degree, LoS-requiring Sonic Boom that works great in melee mode.

Although the whole LoS thing does put its gameplay role awfully close with that of Radial Blind, so I wouldn't mind too much if it was reworked.

Edited by SortaRandom

Well, the thing I'm going with for this idea is that Excal doesn't need another "oh s*** I'm in trouble! Quick! CC! Press 4!" ability, because he already has radial blind for that. With the current stun duration on radial javelin, excal basically does a weaker version of radial blind that goes through walls and pokes enemies a bit. Before U15, I used two abilities: an unranked slash dash and radial blind, because radial blind was all I ever needed and slash dash didn't cost any capacity. Now that Excal is no longer a one-trick pony, he needs a kit with abilities that can be combo'd well, instead of two abilities that basically do the same thing and are used in the same situations. 

I know my idea is quite the overhaul, and the devs are probably reluctant to make any change of any sort to excal's radial javelin after they just coded their butts off making this update (I myself am an indie game designer and I know that feeling perfectly well), but I just think that this change would utilize his other abilities much more efficiently.

I actually had the same suggestion but with some additions:

1) Upon expiration or if activated again midduration, the blades are launched á la the old Radial Javelin!

2) While spinning around him, blocking causes him to get a 360 degree blocking effect (the blades stop damaging, and instead raise up to defend!). It could also give, say, up to 100% damage reflection while blocking (stacking with the Reflectin mod)

Then you have BOTH the spinning blades of awesomeness AND the good old Radial Javelin (AND some more melee interaction with the blocking bonus). One can only dream *sigh* :P