Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe Concept] Tyrannus - The Tyrant (4Armed, Open Design, Original, Updated 10/30/15)

Auroreon

I like the concept, as for feedback, the only real huge problem I have is with ViceGrip.

For being the first ability it seems MUCH too strong. For it's entire duration, Tyrannus is effectively immune to damage since he's no longer being targeted. With a fleeting expertise build, it would be way too easy to spam this, kill everything and never, EVER take damage.

I'd like to see it nerfed just a little. Maybe instead of 100% aggro attention on the target, the target takes a portion of the damage inflicted to Tyrannus, while Tyrannus takes reduced damage. Lemme explain how that would look with some numbers.

Let's say an enemy hits Tyrannus with an attack that does... 50 damage. Just as an example.

The victim he's currently gripping would take 25-ish. And Tyrannus would only take 10 or 5-ish.

Augment the numbers however you see fit, that's just a very vague example of what I'm trying to suggest here.

Thanks for the feedback! 

And thanks for the suggestion, I've noted it. I love that type of reply the most; more ideas the better!

However, it must be said that part of purpose of this ability is the initiation and crowd control effects. Balance is achieved through Duration and aggro radius (Range): without an investment in either, this ability is short and fails to affect moderately ranged opponents. Specializing in Efficiency would allow for more uses, most for movement. That's also leaving the damage/drain (Power) portion of the ability lacking as well. So you see, its a flexible ability that can be utilized for mobility, crowd control, or damage/drain. What ever you want :P

I'm avoiding hard numbers because that is also shaky business.

Edited by Auroreon

Thanks for the feedback! 

And thanks for the suggestion, I've noted it. I love that type of reply the most; more ideas the better!

However, it must be said that part of purpose of this ability is the initiation and crowd control effects. Balance is achieved through Duration and aggro radius (Range): without an investment in either, this ability is short and fails to affect moderately ranged opponents. Specializing in Efficiency would allow for more uses, most for movement. That's also leaving the damage/drain (Power) portion of the ability lacking as well. So you see, its a flexible ability that can be utilized for mobility, crowd control, or damage/drain. What ever you want :P

I'm avoiding hard numbers because that is also shaky business.

Oh okay, I didn't notice the aggro effect had a limited range. That makes it a bit less evil.

I'll make it a little more explicit. Thanks for pointing it out. Just curious, what do you think of his other abilities?

Didn't really have much to say! Blitz could interact with melee attacks by simply increasing the damage done, or reducing the stamina drain.

In fact, that might be an idea there in and of itself. Make it buff allies by reducing or outright doing away with stamina drain so they can guard and slash to their heart's content?

Didn't really have much to say! Blitz could interact with melee attacks by simply increasing the damage done, or reducing the stamina drain.

In fact, that might be an idea there in and of itself. Make it buff allies by reducing or outright doing away with stamina drain so they can guard and slash to their heart's content?

Stamina restoration sounds like a great idea, especially as a team buff. Its overlooked yet would have a profound impact in terms of defense, mobility and melee attacks. Noted :)

So Rhino 2.0

There are similarities but just as many differences.

Tyrannus is superior at personal damage potential (especially via Blitz) and team buffs (Reign of the Tenno increases damage moderately but provides comprehensive defense and sustainability for his team through slowing the enemy and buffing Shields, Health, Energy and/or Stamina). 

He's inferior in terms of  tanking (with out Iron Skin) and crowd-control (Subjugation is a frontal cone and at most only 25% of the size of the Rhino's radial Stomp).

Mobility-wise, Tyrannus' Vice Grip is better mobility in offensive combat (by quickly teleporting to targets) but Rhino's Charge is better overall, in and out of combat.

Edited by Auroreon

Stamina restoration sounds like a great idea, especially as a team buff. Its overlooked yet would have a profound impact in terms of defense, mobility and melee attacks. Noted :)

I tried to push a frame with a stamina buff as one of his primary abilities. It doesn't seem too popular (https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/237439-spartacus-melee-warframe/#entry2755117)

I have to admit, your commander-style warframe inspired Cosmos, here. (https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/344470-cosmos-commander-frame/).

WarFrame really needs more frames that emphasize teamwork, so commander-type frames would be a great addition in my opinion.

I tried to push a frame with a stamina buff as one of his primary abilities. It doesn't seem too popular (https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/237439-spartacus-melee-warframe/#entry2755117)

I have to admit, your commander-style warframe inspired Cosmos, here. (https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/344470-cosmos-commander-frame/).

WarFrame really needs more frames that emphasize teamwork, so commander-type frames would be a great addition in my opinion.

Well, I think its only a matter of time before Stamina get support from abilities.

Awesome, I'm glad to have inspired that! Looks pretty solid yet different and I'll leave some feedback when I get a chance to read it over! Creativity begetting creativity. I love it, cheers to more.

Well, I think its only a matter of time before Stamina get support from abilities.

Awesome, I'm glad to have inspired that! Looks pretty solid yet different and I'll leave some feedback when I get a chance to read it over! Creativity begetting creativity. I love it, cheers to more.

I tried to make him as different as possible, of course. No use being "inspired" by another idea if you're just going to steal everything. lol

Where Tyrannus is all dark and medieval-looking and focused on dominating his enemies with MAYBE some help from his comrades, Cosmos is futuristic and light and hopeful looking and focused on protecting his team-mates even if it means putting himself at risk.

The design is nice and the skill it is fitting and easily gives off the knight vibe. Though the dark knight theme is so cliche and over used and one cannot help but to think of Batman with that title. When looking at Tyrannus Loco think power, pride, dominance. The type of [person] who would walk into full room of arguing subject only for his very presence to quiet them all. 

Side note: Vice Grip adds too much CC for a first ability/tank Warframe (In Locos opinion). Loco thinks this should drain life and convert it into shields/health for the duration of Vice Grip. 

Other then that, Loco likes long time. 

Edited by (PS4)LocoCrazy_

I love this concept so much... The idea of a Warframe that dominates opponents like this sounds SO awesome. The Vice Grip and Subjugate abilities sound so satisfying. The third ability is meh, and the fourth "Leader Among Men" kind of ability really sounds awesome. This would probably be my main warframe if we got it in game. I might even buy it straight up just to get my  hands on it XD

The design is nice and the skill it is fitting and easily gives off the knight vibe. Though the dark knight theme is so cliche and over used and one cannot help but to think of Batman with that title. When looking at Tyrannus Loco think power, pride, dominance. The type of [person] who would walk into full room of arguing subject only for his very presence to quiet them all. 

Side note: Vice Grip adds too much CC for a first ability/tank Warframe (In Locos opinion). Loco thinks this should drain life and convert it into shields/health for the duration of Vice Grip. 

Other then that, Loco likes long time. 

Thanks Loco! Aesthetically, I imagine him to invoke more inspiration from sources like Augustus Caesar and Tywin Lannister. Definitely the type to exode innate superiority without words or actions, yet his commands are heeded without question. Check out the Aesthetic Guide PDF at the top to see the source materials I pulled together!

As for Vice Grip, I've receive a lot of comments on how potential overpowered it seems. However, it must be said that part of purpose of this ability is the initiation and crowd control effects. Balance is achieved through Duration and aggro radius (Range): without an investment in either, this ability is short and fails to affect moderately ranged opponents. Specializing in Efficiency would allow for more uses, most for movement. That's also leaving the damage/drain (Power) portion of the ability lacking as well. So you see, its a flexible ability that can be utilized for mobility, crowd control, or damage/drain. What ever you want :P

I love this concept so much... The idea of a Warframe that dominates opponents like this sounds SO awesome. The Vice Grip and Subjugate abilities sound so satisfying. The third ability is meh, and the fourth "Leader Among Men" kind of ability really sounds awesome. This would probably be my main warframe if we got it in game. I might even buy it straight up just to get my  hands on it XD

Thank you! I'm really glad the concept resonates with you so much. This frame would be my go-to frame as well! I love to take charge and lead a team effort. This frame would do the trick in a balanced and reactive way I feel. Lots of flexibility that scales with the player's/team's actions and skill.

Don't over look the 3rd ability, Blitz, though! Its a sleeper hit that makes certain weapons a lot more powerful especially those that deal high damage yet have small magazine sizes (think shotguns and rocket launchers). Also, it enables you to go all on a particular action as you choose, like Vice Gripping a bunch of baddies or blasting a whole room down with Subjugate

Woh... this is an Awesome original Concept!!!!! It be a real challenge for DE...to make...but it be a work of art if they added this... I just hope they dont do it Female like they did with Zephyr...Your very talented man awesome consent!

I want this sounds like the an emperor warframe suit for the most deserving and elite tenno! AWESOME

Hm, that's one way to put it. He definitely exudes the sovereignty and power of an emperor! Those who stand behind him are empowered yet those who stand against are doomed. Thanks!

Woh... this is an Awesome original Concept!!!!! It be a real challenge for DE...to make...but it be a work of art if they added this... I just hope they dont do it Female like they did with Zephyr...Your very talented man awesome consent!

Thank you! I'm glad Tyrannus comes off as fresh and I hope the concept pushes the paradigm in a good way while still being viable.

OMG yes it does!

but really good idea.

Much thanks!

This. This needs to be a thing. DE, start working on it nao.

No, but seriously, this is a very, very impressive concept. I really want this to actually be a thing.

Thank you, I too really want to be able to contribute this concept to the players and Warframe's culture. There's some more iteration to experience yet the concept is complete save for a few variables.

What is everyone thoughts on the abilities?

Edited by Auroreon

Sorry to be a bother, but I must express me thoughts when I see this concept...it's very similar to my own concept for a fan made Warframe.

I run a roleplay blog on tumblr and I have the concepts for my own character, dubbed "Dreadnought" or formerly "Void Rhino". I understand that you stated you've worked on this for more than a year, but so have I. Here I've attached some pieces drawn throughout the year that holds alarming similarity to Tyrannus. 

Latest pen sketch, done approximately three weeks ago

gIhtek2.jpg

Older design

uplOT74.png

Early concept

52S4VOK.png

Similar points are as follow
1. Silhouette and aesthetics of the frame and helmet

2. Four arms
3. The prominent 'Tyrant' and 'Tactician and tank' motif present in my character's development (unable to be shown in artworks)

Edit: My tumblr is http://carnifex-citadel.tumblr.com/

I applaud your professionalism and have been a fan of your work and understand that my sketches are nothing compared to yours, but I really have to say something when I see this piece. Thank you for your attention.

Edited by VeReine

• 2 weeks later...

What are everyone's thoughts on this art?

I don't think the cloth is really necessary. The crown-like helm does enough to allude to his 'royal' nature, that robe thing just looks like a badly-done toga.

I also preferred the helms from the original art.

Edited by Kyotra

Makes me think of Sauron in his armor ... But the transformation is great whoever.

I would suggest however about the fourth ability, that it includes only enemies killed by weapons, not power, 'cuz with P4TW abilities this will stack too quickly

Edited by Feuershark