Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Arcwing- It's A Poorly Added Flashey-Thing That Gives Nothing To The Base Game.

Innocent_Flower

I'd say its just like this because its very much still in development. "Mini game" is very much not the case for a lot of players.

I did always like the idea of using archwing for some missions as a way of entry or exit. Perhaps during to invasions? seeing as the only reason you use archwing is when the liset cannot navigate the area for what ever reason or it is too combat heavy (the liset being not capable of combat). 

Archwing into combat, enter the ship, continue as usual.

Pretty fond of some missions having an archwing component.

Its shouldn't be too forced on players though. I'd hate to see every mission require an archwing.

Edited by StinkyPygmy

Start the mission like normal.

Do the objective.

Extraction suddenly is unavailable. *Something like platform in earth where you have to extract falls off. 

Ordis deploys archwing.

You from earth to space.

Pass the atmosphere.

Extract like normal archwing mission.

Just one of the ideas DE could implement this with normal game.

Edited by Meice

they should add that Giant Formoran ship thing as a assassin during normal archwing missions (like the staker, gustrag 3 and the harvester)

where it justs rips a portal from spaces and appears.

ive actually seen this thing first hand kill things, and theres even a warning from the Lotus about getting behind cover right before it shoots its giant Lazor of mass distruction

I'm almost certain that for achwing missions the players, their enemies, and a few props are shrunken. 

I'm guessing that Originaly, the parts that make up the corpus trench run was made for average sized players on foot. They would have been added to the corpus ship tileset. Suddenly they want to use it for achwing. It's too small. You can't fly around in those narrow corridoors. You can't move so freely in such a small space. So they Shrink the player. 

It's pretty obvious with the corpus. You've got doors that are too big. Large but weak sources of light illuminating large areas. The Occasional item that just looks just like it did in the main game. The Indoor sections that you can fly through being overly spacious. 

It's a little less obvious with the grineer asteroids. (daym those rocks Look low in quality, Like Upscaled rocks from somewhere else) I suppose on the whole it's just easier to make everything smaller. It's clear why you'd want to shrink everything; Easier on the computer, But, seriously, It's very obvious that the corpus trenchrun has the player shrunken (or everything else was massively upscaled) To me, I think it could be interesting to have the trenchrun tiles  put into the corpus ship tileset (the regular one) (at original size) and then throw a "no gravity mode" on that's somewhere between archwing and regular gameplay. 

Edited by Innocent_Flower

I figured this out when I used a health restore item mid-Archwing mission, and it was surprisingly at least double my size. Honestly, I think that making the player small is a clever solution to making the Archwing levels feel expansive without having to actually load a giant level.

Edited by JustJesse

I figured this out when I used a health restore item mid-Archwing mission, and it was surprisingly at least double my size. Honestly, I think that making the player small is a clever solution to creating giant-feeling levels without having to load a giant level.

I wonder though, does it make it more difficult to integrate Archwings into the normal gameplay (assuming this claim is true)? I had hoped Archwings would eventually become more a part of gameplay and feel less like something tacked-on afterward, but this suggests that everything would need to be remade for that to work.

Well, I'm no big city dev, but it looks as if the Frame hitbox was invisible, and the model was rendered at a set distance from the screen, regardless of the surroundings. That would mean that when you are right next to a wall the frame is actually rendered "farther from the camera", at a constant size, even though it appears on top of everything else.

Edited by The_Doc

This is pretty funny, but it works pretty well.

The one suggestion I'd have is to tweak the humanoid models a bit. I didn't notice the rest of the scale until you got me looking at it, but I notice that the Corpus became rich enough to hire giants every time I melee them. It would be nice if the people could be shrunk down a bit while keeping their jetpacks or whatever more or less the same, so they're still visible but they're not giants. ;P

Edited by Jokubas

There are a couple spots where tiny props are used, in the sabotage generator rooms there are some doors that appear to be the right size. They just need to spread those out to other places.

It's actually quite a clever solution. Since the maps aren't actually huge, even my PoS computer can run it with a respectable framerate.

Everything should have been shrunk though.

If you fly around in Corpus maps, the boxes, stairs, crates, doors, and pipes are all the same models...you're the only thing that's 1/2 size.

Can it even be fixed at this point or are we doomed to notice the visual design flaws every time we play an Archwing map?

So I've noted that archwings borrow from your warframe's health,shields and armour. 

So you should play a tanky frame. Rhino, Saryn, frost (probably not valkyr, though I've yet to try) 

As far as I'm aware there's no reason why you should pick a different frame. Could we Fix this? Could we perhaps give each frame an ability they can use with archwing  Or else modifiers for an ability? With 1-4 taken, players could perchance use R (as there is no reload with at least the default gun) or hold F (since there's only two weapons) 

Examples 

Saryn

- Miasma (but bigger, cause space. Also doesn't cause you to slow down, so you can chase whilst you're gassy and poison) 

- Venom (but enemies explosion is big, because space

Passive: automatically Leave behind Molts for missiles. 

Volt

- Speed

- Volt shields. 

Passive: releases chain lightning when hit. 

Ash

- teleport 

- For a limited time every time you score a melee hit a hologram will spawn by another enemy for an attack. 

Passive; Increased melee distance and damage 

Loki

- Invisibility

- Switch teleport. Any missiles locked onto you will hit who you switch with. 

Passive: Chance of disarming enemies hurt. 

Nyx

- Chaos

- absorb

Passive: Random enemies are mind controlled. 

Mirage-

-Hall of mirror clones. You should probably have less than you would on foot, and most would be off/behind screen.  Feel like you're in control of a tiny squadron formation. 

- Laser light show 

Passive: That In darkness/light ability

Frost

- Snowball. Like avalanch, but moving with you for a few seconds. 

- Snowglobe, the kind that follows you. 

Passive; Near enemies are slowed. 

Ember

- Sun. Create a fire sphere that causes damage to those who enter

- World on fire. 

Passive: All enemies near you take extra fire damage. 

That kinda thing.

Edited by Innocent_Flower

So I've noted that archwings borrow from your warframe's health,shields and armour. 

Do they also borrow from stuff like energy pools or energy efficiency?

Because that alone would give reason to look at using caster frames.

So you should play a tanky frame. Rhino, Saryn, frost (probably not valkyr, though I've yet to try) 

As far as I'm aware there's no reason why you should pick a different frame. Could we Fix this?

AFAIK, base speed also translates to archwing, even though mods don't. Ironically, that just makes Rhino Prime + arcane vanguard helmet the generally best frame for archwing.

Do they also borrow from stuff like energy pools or energy efficiency?

Because that alone would give reason to look at using caster frames.

Frame efficiency mods and helmets are ignored by Archwings. They take Flow into account (not sure about helmets) but I don't know if they use a frame's energy pool.