Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Arcwing- It's A Poorly Added Flashey-Thing That Gives Nothing To The Base Game.

Innocent_Flower

The Odonata's #2 is not for stopping missiles (as far as I have noticed), it provides a 2 second stun to all enemies within a decent radius. Use it to get the hell out of there, although the #4 basically does the same but better.

The Odonata's #2 is not for stopping missiles (as far as I have noticed), it provides a 2 second stun to all enemies within a decent radius. Use it to get the hell out of there, although the #4 basically does the same but better.

The #2 for the Odanata is spammable. The #4 has a cooldown before you can use it again.

The #2 for the Odanata is spammable. The #4 has a cooldown before you can use it again.

The timer is actually how long the enemies are stunned for, you can use it immediately. It doesn't even have a hidden cooldown, so I end up hitting it multiple times by mistake frequently.

In space: 

You wouldn't slow down if you stop using your thrusters. You'd be able to move in the direction you want, stop thrusting, rotate any way you like without changing direction. It'd allow players to focus on their aim when moving really fast. It'd also allow for players to charge in one direction, then steer around incoming missiles/obstacles whilst continuing forward. Players could have a button that toggles an auto-break that reverts gameplay to what it is now. 

There's no gravity, so your orientation should  change with movement. It'd be cool as S#&$, but it'd be confusing. But if you made some great UI, you'd be less confused, but it'd still be cool. Could have a self-righting option. 

Moving asteroids. They don't all have to move. But it'd spice the maps up a bit. Moving ships would just be... I need more trousers. 

Infantry; IN SPACE. Seriously though; One jump in space and you can fly forever. Think fighting through asteroids covered in Grineer spider droids of death, or infested monsters. Jumping from asteroid to asteroid. 

Ripline in space, or just a long rope to hold onto. 

Edited by Innocent_Flower

There's no gravity, so your orientation should  change with movement. It'd be cool as S#&$, but it'd be confusing. But if you made some great UI, you'd be less confused, but it'd still be cool. 

The particular piece I have quoted from you was already shot down by [DE]Steve before U15 even came out. He said they tried it, and it was too confusing.

You wouldn't slow down if you stop using your thrusters. You'd be able to move in the direction you want, stop thrusting, rotate any way you like without changing direction. It'd allow players to focus on their aim when moving really fast. It'd also allow for players to charge in one direction, then steer around incoming missiles/obstacles whilst continuing forward

Thing is, I do not want to continue flying sometimes, and just stop after switching off the thrusters, rather than having to whiz around without the thrusters active. 

And you do realise space physics is going to be quite frustrating on some players too?

For one, just to turn, you need to angle the thrusters to the desired direction (or simply put: Vector manipulation) to do that. And with inertia and such increasing with speed (alright, maybe at relativistic speeds) and mass, that means we have more 'sticker' controls while turning, then we would continue to accelerate, which means even more 'stickier' turning controls to represent increasing inertia etc..

So, actual space physics is pretty complicated to code (and probably would be unappreciated with the general playerbase). 

-Dosent any kind of Mass object have its own Gravity pull? ie. Giant rocks.

-Space is cold as hell, we can hardly Protect ourself from the Over reacted Air-con in the ships, i dont understand how the Frames survive the cold in space

-Looking form what ive seen during the interceptiom, the warframes should have been ripped to shreads from how fast it goes. not becasue of air resistience, but form the space junk just lying around, Making contact with any small space Debreee at the speed of 300m/second and the warframe would have been filled with holes already

It's not a patch until Innocent_Flower makes a topic complaining about how it's not good enough.

Is it ever? 

Thing is, I do not want to continue flying sometimes, and just stop after switching off the thrusters, rather than having to whiz around without the thrusters active. 

And you do realise space physics is going to be quite frustrating on some players too?

For one, just to turn, you need to angle the thrusters to the desired direction (or simply put: Vector manipulation) to do that. And with inertia and such increasing with speed (alright, maybe at relativistic speeds) and mass, that means we have more 'sticker' controls while turning, then we would continue to accelerate, which means even more 'stickier' turning controls to represent increasing inertia etc..

So, actual space physics is pretty complicated to code (and probably would be unappreciated with the general playerbase). 

-Amended that. 

- Angling the thrusters... Not that level of realism. 

Considering some players are already confused by Archwing movement, I think that would needlessly complicate things.

Make the UI better. But seriously archwing's currently pretty simple. 

It would actually be pretty cool, if more realistic physics. But i can imagine from a lore perspective (and gameplay) that archwings have some sort of retro boosters, or motion dampers to slow down.

The particular piece I have quoted from you was already shot down by [DE]Steve before U15 even came out. He said they tried it, and it was too confusing.

It would be confusing at first "flying upside down" (although there is no up or down in space) but you would get used to it pretty quick. Ever played dead space 2 or 3? they have whole sections where you are in 0g enviroments, including some very open places (like outside of a space station), you just need to find a plane of reference and move in that direction. The only difference is the speed, archwings are way faster than Isaac clarke's space suit.

It would be confusing at first "flying upside down" (although there is no up or down in space) but you would get used to it pretty quick. Ever played dead space 2 or 3? they have whole sections where you are in 0g enviroments, including some very open places (like outside of a space station), you just need to find a plane of reference and move in that direction. The only difference is the speed, archwings are way faster than Isaac clarke's space suit.

In space, it is called velocity, not speed, because speed is for the space layman (and speed is just a scalar quantity, while velocity is a vector quantity, which fits space movement a bit more). 

-Dosent any kind of Mass object have its own Gravity pull? ie. Giant rocks.

-Space is cold as hell, we can hardly Protect ourself from the Over reacted Air-con in the ships, i dont understand how the Frames survive the cold in space

-Looking form what ive seen during the interceptiom, the warframes should have been ripped to shreads from how fast it goes. not becasue of air resistience, but form the space junk just lying around, Making contact with any small space Debreee at the speed of 300m/second and the warframe would have been filled with holes already

The gravitational pull of such small asteroids would be minimal, they wouldnt affect the archwings.

It has been explained by the devs that archwings supply life support of any kind for the Tenno.

While space junk is indeed dangerous, the chances of an impact are minimal, Imagine the chances of a piece of rock actually hitting you, its one small rock in the vastness of space. Even if this small piece of rock hits you, it wouldnt kill you. Tenno are equipped with state of the art kinetic/energy shields, and they have the best armor you can find. At best this small rock would damage your shields, nothing more, remember how much crap flyies in our general direction in normal missions, im talking about bullets, missiles, and railguns.

Edited by John89brensen

How about the real reason: No one would play it. That includes me, and I like games like Shattered Horizon, which bring me to the point that if I wanted to play a SH type game ... I'd play frigging SH.

We are not supposed to have a space game with an Extermination sub-game, we have an Extermination game with some "in space" mechanics.

If we got the physics Innocent_Flower wants, good luck ever hitting anything in melee combat, based on how the AI is currently able to fly.

In space, it is called velocity, not speed, because speed is for the space layman (and speed is just a scalar quantity, while velocity is a vector quantity, which fits space movement a bit more). 

My point is archwings are way faster than Isaac Clarke's space suit. The space segments in dead space 3 are some of the best in the game, and while it takes some time to get is to the camera (since there is no up or down, except where you transition to areas with gravity) the feeling is awesome, you have complete freedom of movement. 

This could be interesting to see in archwing, only problem is all the people that would complain about the "difficulty" in going anywhere.

In any case there are more importan things archwing needs right now, like a better radar (an actual radar), and new game mods that will arrive in due time.

It would actually be pretty cool, if more realistic physics. But i can imagine from a lore perspective (and gameplay) that archwings have some sort of retro boosters, or motion dampers to slow down.

I know. I've played the living crap out of the Dead Space games (almost 20 times through DS3 and almost 40 times through DS2) and Space Engineers, so I know what it's like. That wasn't my point. My point is that it won't happen because they already tried and didn't like how it went.

While space junk is indeed dangerous, the chances of an impact are minimal, Imagine the chances of a piece of rock actually hitting you, its one small rock in the vastness of space. Even if this small piece of rock hits you, it wouldnt kill you. Tenno are equipped with state of the art kinetic/energy shields, and they have the best armor you can find. At best this small rock would damage your shields, nothing more, remember how much crap flyies in our general direction in normal missions, im talking about bullets, missiles, and railguns.

Thing is, the moving things are moving towards you, and you are moving towards them (to the stationary observer), so the impact will be larger. 

And yet you still have that shinny shield, to protect you againts incomming hits.

The pieces of rock are: 

1. Much more larger than a bullet. 

2. Sometimes moving very fast (if an asteroid, then the mass is so large, that even moving at a fraction of the speed of the bullet is rather damaging when we ram into them at high velocities). 

While we do have a shield, it is not going to help much splattering oneself against a giant rock. Most, if not all, of the shields would be gone when players just smash around those things. 

The pieces of rock are: 

1. Much more larger than a bullet. 

2. Sometimes moving very fast (if an asteroid, then the mass is so large, that even moving at a fraction of the speed of the bullet is rather damaging when we ram into them at high velocities). 

While we do have a shield, it is not going to help much splattering oneself against a giant rock. Most, if not all, of the shields would be gone when players just smash around those things. 

Not giant rocks, those you can dodge, tinny pieces of rock flying around space. Need i remind you that our shields and armor can take a point blank shot from a railgun?

Not giant rocks, those you can dodge, tinny pieces of rock flying around space. Need i remind you that our shields and armor can take a point blank shot from a railgun?

Then again, the railgun shot is composed mostly of energy (in which the shields seem to have a resistance with). 

the one thing i don't like about archwing gameplay is that enemies can fly over you and reorient themselves quickly to still be shooting at you the whole time, but for players, to fire back, you have to rotate up as far as you can, turn 90 degrees to your left or right, and then rotate back down. what i wish i had was the ability to aim freely to any angle in both directions rather than having to rotate horizontally, but i can understand how that may cause problems. to fix the fact that you'd be ending up upside down a lot, there could be some sort of automatic rotation thing that makes you  roll so that you're aligned perpendicular to the solar horizon. (the plane on which the majority of planets orbit, also known as the only good way to define 'up' and 'down' in space.) of course this is only really a suggestion. i know nothing about coding, so if it's too hard to do i don't really mind.