Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I'm Doing Your Dirty Work For You, Your Rewards Are Lacking, And You Want My Potatoes? No.

PaxEthenica

Speaking as a cynic and amateur consumer-rights-enjoy-er-guy-what-doesn't-get-excited-about-hype-and-doesn't-like-being-taken-advantage-of I was actually a little bit optimistic about the syndicate system, and genuinely relieved that the Archwing content doesn't seem to be a Star Wars online clone, or some similar on-rails shooter. Thanks for ruining one of those, game.

I play the role of a Tenno in the game. What does that mean? I am not a warrior. I am not a soldier. I am not a hero. Despite what the Lotus spoon-fed me, and why she awoke me, I am too aware of what's going on around me to believe that I am a champion of some nebulous 'balance' claptrap.The closest analogue to what I am as a Tenno, based upon my experiences is that I am a mercenary. Hell, game documentation and marketing even says as much; I fight for myself, for my own goals, and an ever escalating quest for personal power and a more perfect union of Warframe, weapon, and Tenno. I shouldn't necessarily have loyalties except to my fellow Tenno, because they help me achieve my goals, and any loyalty beyond that should go to my clan.

NOT some uppity NPC taking my credits and my resources, dictating what weapons I can use, and what 'frames I should favor. All the while having me do the things that it can't.

I play as a Tenno, and that should actually mean something! For a handful of credits and a piece of technology that no one except me can use, dozens, if not hundreds of living things die. Death is no hindrance to me. Those who seek to control me die (Vor), those who seek to exploit me die (Alad V), the morality of assassination is of no consequence to me, yesterday's allies are tomorrow's blood dripping from my blade (Sargas Ruk), and why? Because I become stronger with every death. Each soul I send screaming into hell puts me more and more in tune with my Warframe and my weapons, and that makes me stronger. Which makes it possible to send more souls screaming into hell better and faster and with more variety. It is a self-feeding cycle of murder and violence perpetrated upon the altar of my advancement.

It is a gross narrative disconnect; the Syndicates should be alternating between groveling at my feet in abject gratitude and cowering in the deepest shadows at the merest hint that I am paying them any attention at all. They should not be demanding things from me just so I can prove myself worthy to do their work for them, and they certainly shouldn't be demanding things like Forma and Potatoes from me unless there is an option for me to take them back from a pile of bleeding corpses, because at that point? They've just gotten in the way of my eternal quest.

I play as a Tenno; a demon of the Void, and demons are sacrificed to; not required to sacrifice.

Edited by PaxEthenica

Well you conveyed your point with powerful eloquence. A valid point it is, too. We're made to be such warrior-gods, yet have to make sacrifices ourselves to prove ourselves to beings who are, in game terms, "lesser than".

Also, I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it here, claiming rewards for your hard work reducing your standing with the syndicate is just silly.

Look at it from their perspective.

Tenno are greedy killing machines without any loyalty whatsoever. If syndicate can convince a Tenno to give away a potato, that means that Tenno wont just stab them all in the back tomorrow and murder their families and pets. Now their partnership is actually worth something.

Wow... Couldn't have been said better by anyone, anywhere.

You've described the feeling I have from mastering a Warframe and my dozens of weapons, perfectly. And you're absolutely correct... These syndicates should be begging for my/ our assistance and forking over solid Forma and pre baked 'potatoes' every time I complete several diffulcult solo only missions and/ or rank up within their ranks.

Could have been a fun and solid rewarding experience... DE missed the mark... Again.

Well, maybe not fully baked potatoes or pre-made Forma, but regular blueprints without having to burn through a key would be nice. For those missions, though, the difficulty should be amped to something truly brutal, incentivising us to use our new weapon and warframe augments. Also, I think there should be a larger library of weapon augments, and those augments should be universal. Explosive Bolto bolts are nice and everything, but really an explosive Boltor would be better, and would likely create an increased demand and appreciation for bolt-style firearms in general. Which is a good thing.

Remember, if you must keep a game balanced, try to balance up! Because no one likes a nerf. No one.

THE EDGE, I FEEL IT

I agree that there should be benefits for staying allied to the Lotus/walking alone. But I don't see joining a faction with whom you share the same views as going against the Tenno code. Instead, I see it as the Tenno branching out and exploring new identities in wartime.