Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Question On Viral Damage

Eggzodiya

Question

My friend asked me a question about viral damage and why it seemed weaker than corrosive or radiation, versus the appropriate armor types. So, I ran a mission in Saturn using a Lex Prime with only frostbite and pistol pestilence to create the viral element. Next, I ran the same mission with the same weapon, this time using pistol pestilence and jolt to create the corrosive element. To my surprise, corrosive did more damage than viral.

Afaik, both grant a +75% damage increase against their respective targets. In this case, corrosive versus light armored units and viral against the entire faction save machinery (according to wiki). If both grant the same damage increase, why am I seeing different numbers? Does armor reduce more viral damage? If so, why?

Note #1: no status effects were taken into consideration. Just plain numbers without status procs.

Note #2: these are all body shots, no head shots, no critical shots.

Note #3: all shots were tested against the Lancer (normal, not elite). I haven't tried out radiation versus viral just yet.

Edited by Eggzodiya

4 answers to this question

Armor reduces all damage done sans shields. Corrosive procs permanently reduce armor to increase damage done. Viral procs temporarily halve the enemy's max hp. Corrosive is effective against the lancers armor, and tears through it faster (thus reducing the damage reduction faster). Viral is effective against the lancers health, and thus has more armor to work through (thus suffering damage reduction longer).

Edited by Elvang

My guess is the armor values on the enemies might be the lurking variable. Each enemy has a different level and with each level they might have a slight armor change.

How far apart were these damage numbers?

What level were the Grineer?

Armor reduces all damage done sans shields. Corrosive procs permanently reduce armor to increase damage done. Viral procs temporarily halve the enemy's max hp. Corrosive is effective against the lancers armor, and tears through it faster (thus reducing the damage reduction faster). Viral is effective against the lancers health, and thus has more armor to work through (thus suffering damage reduction longer).

He said that there were no procs going off.

How far apart were these damage numbers?

What level were the Grineer?

Gun used: Lex prime.

Corrosive (pathogen rounds + jolt)

296 damage on lancer, level 11

Viral (pathogen rounds + frostbite)

254 damage on lancer, level 11

No other mods were used per test that involved the above elements. As in, only two mods per test. The numbers aren't very far apart because the damage value is small. Considering a stronger loadout, the distance between the damage numbers would be massive, especially considering critical shots + head shots.

That being said, does viral damage (not status proc) primarily target the grineer's health, and that damage is reduced by its armor? If so, why isn't the same applied to corrosive damage?

Edited by Eggzodiya