Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

An Open Letter About The Things That Annoy Me In Warframe

cs310

This is an open letter where I will now write a few things that truly annoy me in Warframe. To understand some of the points I may write, consider that I in fact love this game to the point where I put down 45€ to buy the first tier of prime access after 4 days of non-stop playing.

Honored Digital Extremes Dev Team,

I have been playing Warframe for a few days now and I have to say that your game is great.  I love to play it, and the few minor bugs that it has are no problem for me, as every game has them. However, there are a few major flaws in your game that I'd like to point out, to hopefully give you motivation to fix or change those.

a) Clan Hall System

I already made a Thread in the Steam Forums about this. A Clan that wishes to build larger Halls cannot simply buy a bigger hall to "overwrite" their old one, they have to build a new room for it. And the small halls are prerequisites for the big ones, so you cannot simply tear down the old halls. Who had this Idea? Who actually thought it was a good Idea to force players to waste a part of the capacity they earn through bigger halls by keeping the old halls they don't need for anything?

b) Platinum

There is nothing wrong about cash-purchases in a free-to-play game and I am glad that there is some stuff you can't even buy with platinum, like the prime weapons. However, pretty much everything that you can buy with platinum is so damn expensive that I feel like my money is losing its value. How can a single weapon cost 15€ ?!

And why can't I have more than two warframe without spending money? At least give us 3-4 :^)

c) Dark Sector Conflict

Why is there no Game-Internal reward for playing dark sector PvP? There is no point in playing those conflict maps, as big alliances seldom set Battle Pay. The Opportunity to gain mods and/or EXP from Conflict maps would make those feel much more rewarding.

d) Warframe Balance

I often see that a Nova or Mirage joins a Defense Mission and oneshots everything. How is that possible while Ember, a similarly vulnerable caster frame, does barely any damage at all with any skill except

?

I hope that you understand my points and take them into consideration for coming updates.

I remain,

CS310

To be utterly fair, for a quick reply now as I think about a proper one to the OP, it's not the Warframe but the Weapon that oneshot things.

And he is right about the great gap between a frame and another... Sure preparation is everything, it holds true not only for modding but for the party creation as well...

But if you look to three frames, let's say Nekros\Rhino\Ash, you can see that Ash worth in multiplay is almost zero because all of his abilities are DPS related, and that's something every frame can do. (He can solo and MP pretty well, but he doesn't bring nothing to the party, he just stays around killing stuff and surviving...) Nekros brings support and CC to the party. (More energy\health drops and he can do something with Shadow of the Deaths and Soul punch.) And Rhino does everything nekros does and more. (CC with the Stomp, Support with the Roar, Rhino Skin turns him into a pretty ummovable object if he needs to be.)

Sure, the three of them cannot go high in a Defense without a Frost\Vauban, but the game is about MP so it's all alrigthy... But I wonder if everyone had happened to read "HTn XXXX, LF Ash\Volt\Zephyr\Oberon\Excalibur".

Note 1: I'm not complaining, my favorite frame is Ash (DE Prime would you consider a version for him, please...) and I love playing him now with Archwings (Since anyway the Archwings abilities are the relevant ones.), but trying to make an unbiased evaluation of how some frames don't offer much to the team.

Note 2: I'm talking taking into account U15 and syndacates mods, turning everyone invisible for dunno how long, still is too situational to be something that counts.

Nekros brings support and CC to the party. (More energy\health drops and he can do something with Shadow of the Deaths and Soul punch.)

And don't forget that he's the one getting the battle rez that Trinity should have had from the start...

Edited by cs310

If we are adding things to this open letter: 

Can DE PLEASE separate the recruiting channel into a clan/mission channel? Or allow us to set filters so that we can see the missions we want?

It would take advantage of the format people already use for requests/hosting. 

if you want void only missions filter for T#/Tier # 

You want to join a host? filter for H or Hosting 

Same for vault runs/ derelict missions. 

Would clean that chat up sooo nicely. 

also for b remember that for most of its life there were only like 6 frames...

and for d, they admitted they need to rework older caster frames to make them more stable throughout all gameplay, without smashing early and falling off late. However, in embers case, people overlook her second ability. Increased fire damage and mini stun? trust me when i say it IS a viable build

A + B:

Welcome to F2P games.

C:

Really just for fun or too fight against high taxes

D:

All frames are viable, some are just more-so in different situations.

TBH, I don't see Warframe as a usual F2P-Game at all. You can clearly see how DE puts a lot of effort into making the game enjoyable for non-spenders as well. However, that doesn't change anything about the devaluing of your money as you purchase platinum. I'm on 0 Plat atm and I feel demotivated to buy more because I saw how easily it's all gone because there is too much too expensive stuff to buy in this game.

Also, what does this have to do with the Clan Halls?

D: No. Just no.

<snip>

TBH, I don't see Warframe as a usual F2P-Game at all.

me: Really?

You can clearly see how DE puts a lot of effort into making the game enjoyable for non-spenders as well. However, that doesn't change anything about the devaluing of your money as you purchase platinum. I'm on 0 Plat atm and I feel demotivated to buy more because I saw how easily it's all gone because there is too much too expensive stuff to buy in this game.

me: Your money is as valuable as you make it.  I say that because of this one fact: If you see something that is not within your price range or is too expensive to purchase, don't buy it.  By making the purchase anyway, you are saying that the purchase was worth the money.  In that respect, the only person that is "devaluing" your money is you.  No one has forced your hand in purchasing platinum.  DE is a business and their chosen model is F2P.  This is how they chose to market this game, and by you making such purchases is the same as saying "I agree with this marketing strategy".  Why?  Because your purchases are an investment into their business.  TO claim that DE is "devaluing" your money when you choose to by virtual items online, is... hmm... absurd.

Also, what does this have to do with the Clan Halls?

me: That is more of preference and opinion.  I don't see what the problem is if you are busy playing the game, rather than spending all day in the dojo just for sight-seeing.  If you are into that sort of then, more power to you.  Other people would rather play the game.  I guess some people do care about this.  DE did say they are adding more customizable features to clan dojos.

D: No. Just no.

me: I'm assuming this is a response to the letter D that SHapelessHorr0r commented on as follows. "All frames are viable, some are just more-so in different situations."  My response to that is... exactly how long have you played this game so far?  I could have sworn you said only a few days, and according to what you mentioned about yourself when purchasing more warframes, I can only assume that you have not tried every single warframe.

a) Clan Hall System

I already made a Thread in the Steam Forums about this. A Clan that wishes to build larger Halls cannot simply buy a bigger hall to "overwrite" their old one, they have to build a new room for it. And the small halls are prerequisites for the big ones, so you cannot simply tear down the old halls. Who had this Idea? Who actually thought it was a good Idea to force players to waste a part of the capacity they earn through bigger halls by keeping the old halls they don't need for anything?

I 100% agree with this

Edited by (XB1)KoG Cleric

A) The capacity of halls is cumulative. Also, other than the first two halls which are more like long corridors, the last 3 allow some organisation with the last two working wonderfully as set pieces for lab areas and such. So really, the first two halls are there to increase your hall's capacity limit so they don't actually consume any by themselves. It's the same principle for the barracks : you can't build a higher tier barrack without the previous tier(s) already in place with the difference that barracks also upgrades your clan type and capacity which is irreversible.

B) There's some debate about the pricing of items. Personally, I see the purchase of already built weapons as merely a shortcut to it. If anything, it discourages people to buy weapons outright instead of seeking out the parts / ressources to craft them. As for the slot issues, starting plat is best spent on slots and later down the line, prime parts can be traded for platinum meaning that the 12/20 plat costs for additionnal slots can be easily obtained by selling your duplicate drops or rare mods / fusions cores.

C) It's intended to reward nothing to prevent PvP becoming a required component to obtain one thing or another. Basically, the community would be (in general) in an outcry if any part or piece of equipment was PvP-specific in how to obtain it. It would probably encourage players to abuse even more of the power disrepency you noted in point D in order to assure easy victories and lead to people trying to use exploits to assure victory. As it stands, PvP (Dark Sector or otherwise) is merely in the game for the purpose of giving people the chance to shoot themselves in the face and, for some other, to stroke their ego. Winning in PvP is its own reward, technically speaking (and credits if you play Dark Sector PvP).

D) Balance passes have been done lately on older Warframes to bring them up to speed with more or less success. In a way, your selection of Warframe (and your group's) in a mission is kind of a soft "difficulty setting" modifier of some sort. Go in with caster Warframes built for power and energy efficiency, the mission will be laughably easy. Go in with Warframes which have less "blow sh*t up" powers and more control or utility abilities and you get a bit more tedious challenge which requires you a different approach or methodology. As for some frames doing no damage except for a single ability, it's mostly because people prefer having a "I win" button to press instead of exploring the other possibilities and applications of the Warframe's abilities.

Thank you for your insight, Wiegraf. I agree with everything you wrote, except for one part:

A) The capacity of halls is cumulative. Also, other than the first two halls which are more like long corridors, the last 3 allow some organisation with the last two working wonderfully as set pieces for lab areas and such. So really, the first two halls are there to increase your hall's capacity limit so they don't actually consume any by themselves. It's the same principle for the barracks : you can't build a higher tier barrack without the previous tier(s) already in place with the difference that barracks also upgrades your clan type and capacity which is irreversible.

While being able to be put to practical use (my english is horrible), having those smaller halls tucked to my big one still looks like S#&amp;&#036; :D

Thank you for your insight, Wiegraf. I agree with everything you wrote, except for one part:

While being able to be put to practical use (my english is horrible), having those smaller halls tucked to my big one still looks like S#&$ :D

Well, there's no denying that if you can't find a practical use for one of the early halls that yes, it'll pretty much be the 'dangly bit' of your dojo layout XD

Here I was thinking you'd bring up something of actual substance, but it's all minor complaints at best.

What about...

The ideas that were never expanded on and realized to their full potiental?

All the glitches, crashes, and general brokeness of the game that has yet to be fixed over a year?

Complaints about the repetition, grind, and RNG being completely ignored and used as a means of artificially increasing game difficulty and longetivity?

More resources and development time spent on cosmetics and graphical visuals rather than functionality and getting the game to work properly?

and on the side of people doing things that annoy me

Hallway heroes/spawn campers

AFKers

Trolls with Lokis/limbo/whatever else

Fanboys

The list goes on and on...

You're free to open a thread showing up what bugs you in Warframe, but these are my complaints. One might call me undemanding, but apart from what I've wrtten, there is next to nothing i absolutely hate and despise in this game.

Yeah, it has bugs. So does every game. This is not a reason for the game to have bugs, but i doubt there is any game in the world that comes without a few. And so far, I have experienced only one, where i fell through the ground while wallrunning, and that only happened to me twice in 90 hours of playing, so i guess it's not that big of a factor.

I'm a christian. even my first name is christian. RNGesus loves me :3

Also I played Payday so I started to love RNG as a means to enhance replayability of certain levels.

I don't think there is much inbalance between frames. Ember is more a clean up frame, so ideal suited for exterminate missions. She can be used as an amplifier aswell but then the team has to build around her. This is the reason why Nova is a better damage amplifier and very usefull for scaling missions. 

There is no frame which is usefull for every mission, even rhino can be a bad choice. It's exactly the point when his iron skin becomes paper skin.