Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Clown Invasion.

Greygo

I don't think Limbo is a "void frame" so much as he's a "limbo frame".

Limbo can be used to refer to an intermediate or transitory space, a place between places. Given what we know about the void, I don't think Limbo is actually accessing it, instead putting himself halfway between the void and realspace. He accesses the rift, not the void. Since "void" is capitalized like a proper noun, I assume those are two different places. 

The possibility for a true "void frame" is still open. I don't see Limbo as one.

As much as I want to agree with you on this, seriously I doubt it for a number of reasons:

1. Comments made in Devstream 37 would indicate that DE had been working on a new warframe for some time in which the character's abilities focused on controlling the void (The Void?)

2. Clearly, the character's appearance and abilities had been established but a name had not, rather it was an impulsive decision on Steve's part (or perhaps it came from the membership during the live post stream) 

3. There has been no mention of a "Limbo" before this character was introduced

4. The term "rift" seems to be based upon game mechanics more than Lore or at the very least it is yet another example of example of only shading in a story without exactly lining it out so typical of Warframe

Regardless, the term "rift" has little established context

No, Limbo is the VoidFrame ... I just have to deal with it

Edited by ElHefe

I too miss the mythos of the frames, as mostly being based off ancient figures and mythological concepts and creatures. Occasional unusual frames like Vauban are great and all, i don't think he looks that silly and i can imagine the orokin creating a warframe based off a military engineer. Mirage's trickster and illusionist abilities match her frame, which has a exotic look.

I was excited for Limbo, expecting some sort of warframe based off being this void sorcerer or wizard. Maybe with a hood and a robe kind of look.

Limbo, i don't see the connection between stage tricks and the void. He looks awkward, from his shoes to his top hat.

Edited by Zeromanicus

I agree with the OP. Too many frames look silly enough already and the Limbo takes the cake. He looks like a clown and with the right color palette he's simply hilarious.

The best looking frame IMO is the Excalibur. He's not overdone, doesn't have a peacock vibe. He's sleek and simple - the way I like it. Every other frame design should start from here and  improve on the concept.

I like the unique Warframe designs, bit I think they went totally off-road with Mirage and Limbo.

Mirage and Limbo look like they're wearing costumes, not suits designed for combat.

Also, why the hell would anyone in their right mind create a WARframe, with trousers and a hat. The hat looks cool, but we do have a theme to fit into.

We definitely need more lobster tails yes

fiypqKL.png

Good times...

While I personally 'hate' Trinity's lobster tail. (Which is also the only reason stopping me from ever playing her)

I think the tail is going to stay. Due to the reason Trinity original head, is designed to look like a shaman type / tribe style.

So the lobster tail having resemblance to a face, I think that's as well intentional.

I agree with the OP. Too many frames look silly enough already and the Limbo takes the cake. He looks like a clown and with the right color palette he's simply hilarious.

The best looking frame IMO is the Excalibur. He's not overdone, doesn't have a peacock vibe. He's sleek and simple - the way I like it. Every other frame design should start from here and improve on the concept.

I actually don't find Excal cooler than Limbo. Maybe it's just my aesthetic taste. I found myself sometime gravitate more to Excal than, say, Nekros because of stereotypical how I believe warframe should be like, an army-like look. An extreme comparison could be that we can see Bruce Wayne as Batman... but never can we accept Alfred to become a super hero. And looking carefully at the designs, the look, the ideas, and details, I find Limbo as cool and as original as Excal.

I'm not to happy about the design direction with the limbo frame, in the beginning what catched my attention and intrigued me is that most of the beginning frames (maybe aside mag) got the look similar to Guyver anime characters:

Guyvers.jpg

Now instead with limbo (...and partially hydroid, even if the design quality is very good in its own) it seems to me the game took a strong turn toward One Piece:

One-Piece-19.jpg

So if i haven't been able to explain the concept with words i hope at least that the images talk for themselves.

PS: The mirage it's exotic, but the look fits good with the rest of the frames, also has "that" something of grineer look with the default helm, and i like very much the Nekros because it reminds me of Evangelion's evas.

Edited by perfectStranger

The next frame should be a singer if we're going down the entertainers route with warframes. xD

DazzlerFrame confirmed.

I haven't read the Limbo lore yet as I'm doing the quest and don't want to spoil, but if it explains his looks, I'll be most pleased. I figured out the new frame was going to be some kind of "dark wizard" from form chatter and... this isn't what I thought it'd be. It's DE's game and they can do what they like, but in terms of the look of other frames, I tend to agree this is "over the top" (pun not intended).

I got the insane vibe from Mirage, so maybe there's more to Limbo. One uses more magic the other logic? Ember and Frost kind of relationship? Who knows. I don't really feel naming Limbo was as impulsive as it seemed, or at least I hope not, but on previous streams one could usually tell when they were hamfisting something in ("I am getting a call from Vey Hek...").

Personally I was hoping for something darker, and maybe we'll get that with a skin. There is a phased skin that I feel would have worked well for Limbo, and I was thinking they'd go in that direction. It's also still new so I guess I may be still in that wait and see mode on the new frame, but yea, I was hoping for more.

Kinda agree to op...

except... Op didn't mention Hydroid. Hydroid is just as ridicolous as Limbo. Mirage is kinda okay tho. Harlequin <> Ninja.... it's not so farfetched.

Then again, at least Hydroid looks dressed for combat. 

Limbo just feels like it should be in another game, to be honest. Maybe it was the top hat that gave me that feeling.

Then again, at least Hydroid looks dressed for combat. 

Limbo just feels like it should be in another game, to be honest. Maybe it was the top hat that gave me that feeling.

The top hat sure is the reason for this whole design to polarize among players.

You either love it , or you hate it.

It just appears to me that the "hate" (or let's refer to it as "dislike") Of Limbo is more justified- after all it breaks the design norm / pattern we know and love warframe for. That doesnt have to be a bad thing. But personally, I think it is.

Some people like (design) changes...I don't.

(on a side note... The designs of the Gox or the Ranger's booster don't seem Corpus to me eiher, design wise. They aren't bad... but they don't feel corpus. dunno what's with all the design changes lately.)

I'm not to happy about the design direction with the limbo frame, in the beginning what catched my attention and intrigued me is that most of the beginning frames (maybe aside mag) got the look similar to Guyver anime characters:

-snip-

Now instead with limbo (...and partially hydroid, even if the design quality is very good in its own) it seems to me the game took a strong turn toward One Piece:

-snip-

So if i haven't been able to explain the concept with words i hope at least that the images talk for themselves.

PS: The mirage it's exotic, but the look fits good with the rest of the frames, also has "that" something of grineer look with the default helm, and i like very much the Nekros because it reminds me of Evangelion's evas.

No. Not really.

Only few Warframes have more character of Guyvers; actually, depending on how you see it or who you ask. For design-wise, I see Excal, Nyx, Rhino, and Volt... but Hydroid is more of a droid version, the imperfect infection of Guyver or Guyver Prototype. And for One Piece... Franky and Chopper are really out of nowhere; of course they all ate devil fruit and got the power. Well, not really, united by same mindset - pirate and freedom

Edited by ndantony

@ Greygo ... I have made a number of posts decrying the look and even the name given to the VoidFrame as I was expecting it to be epic and was met with same kind of personalized negativity

Aside from being the loyal opposition we can still hope that DE may design a more "noble" or "warrior" like version of Limbo Prime if enough community pressure can be engendered

I hope they will.

I don't think Limbo is a "void frame" so much as he's a "limbo frame".

Limbo can be used to refer to an intermediate or transitory space, a place between places. Given what we know about the void, I don't think Limbo is actually accessing it, instead putting himself halfway between the void and realspace. He accesses the rift, not the void. Since "void" is capitalized like a proper noun, I assume those are two different places. 

The possibility for a true "void frame" is still open. I don't see Limbo as one.

DE in their devstream mentioned that they decided to create warframe which will control void energy. That's the reason to believe that Limbo is a Voidframe

Magician http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_(illusion)

vs

Jester http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jester

The true difference lies in the fact that Jesters are not only medival, but also rely on more hand tricks and acrobatics. Magicians don't do the acrobatics and such, but they still do sleight of hand, escape tricks, can practice hypnosis, and conjuring tricks.

Other then that, they are both simple performers.

So what your really saying is "please make some non-entertainer themed frames". I get you, that would be fine, but please recognize......SPACE NINJA WIZARD WITH A TOP HAT....It is amazing that this now exists somewhere, I am most pleased.

I love Limbo's powers/skills. I'm not talking about this aspect but about new warframe designs. I'm ok with mirage. Maybe someone really likes Harley queen's theme and I can understand that not all of the warframe community are such immersion freaks like me. But after the appearance of Limbo I begin to see the sequence in developers direction of creating warframe designs. I really hope we'll dont see another clown-ish/comic ololo warframe in the future.

I like the unique Warframe designs, bit I think they went totally off-road with Mirage and Limbo.

Mirage and Limbo look like they're wearing costumes, not suits designed for combat.

Also, why the hell would anyone in their right mind create a WARframe, with trousers and a hat. The hat looks cool, but we do have a theme to fit into.

Yes. Totally agree. I always kinda feel that I wear hi-tech warframe/battleframe playing this game. And new frames really look like costumes.

How is warframe cyberpunk?

Well, it has some cyberpunk themes/tropes. But it also has a lot of other stuff, like diesel punk and bio punk and science fantasy and regular fantasy and plenty more, those are just off the top of my head. Calling it just cyberpunk is inaccurate. 

Well, it has some cyberpunk themes/tropes. But it also has a lot of other stuff, like diesel punk and bio punk and science fantasy and regular fantasy and plenty more, those are just off the top of my head. Calling it just cyberpunk is inaccurate. 

I think it best to just call it Science Fiction. If it can represent so many sub-genres then it's inaccurate as you said to just name it by one. Therefore, under the premise of "Science-Fiction" i don't think you draw the line for what's inappropriate at a Harlequin-themed exo-suit and top-hat wielding space and time manipulator.