Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hi! (Im A Pc User) Do I Need A Special Controller If I Want To Use 1 Or Can I Use Any Ordinary Controller To Play Warframe?

BloodSage09

Question

14 answers to this question

I purchased a wireless controller in Korea that wouldn't play nice with Warframe (or any game for that matter). So I used an Xbox 360 controller emulator. Took a little tweaking (definitely requires some tech savvy) but now it works like a charm. It's fun when I plan on going full melee. But for guns, I stick to mouse and keyboard. Far greater accuracy and mobility. But for the times I want to be a bum and sit on the couch and slash things, it works great! 

Not sure if the emulator will work with all controllers, but I've heard pretty good things about it. So you can use controllers that aren't 'officially supported' with Warframe with an emulator. At least some of them.

Edit: Typo. Oops. And added more information.

Edited by SpongyPenguin

If you need a controller and run windows I'd recommend picking up an xbox360 controller. I don't know about other OS' since it's a microsoft thing but I imagine at least unofficial solutions would exist. I believe with a 360 controller (at least the official one) it should work straight out of the box, wireless or not.

I don't think the xbone controller has drivers yet but I'm 99% sure they're in the works. A 360 controller will be a lot cheaper anyways if you intend to use it only for your PC though.

Windows already has the drivers and everything for a 360 controller so it's basically plug and play, no hassle. If you own another controller like the playstation 4's dualshock 4 it can be used on PC but it will need third party software to work, and might not work out of the box with some games.

Some companies (like logitech) also make gamepads specifically for the PC so you could look into that too.

Edited by Segolia

If you need a controller and run windows I'd recommend picking up an xbox360 controller. I believe with a 360 controller (at least the official one) it should work straight out of the box, wireless or not. I don't think the one controller has drivers yet but I'm 99% sure they're in the works. a 360 controller will be a lot cheaper anyways if you intend to use it only for your PC though.

Windows already has the drivers and everything for a 360 controller so it's basically plug and play, no hassle. If you own another controller like the playstation 4's dualshock 4 it can be used on PC but it will need third party software to work, and might not work out of the box with some games.

Some companies (like logitech) also make gamepads specifically for the PC so you could look into that too.

I also have to recommend the 360 controller its what i use, and it works great, and is really easy, just plug n play, i also like the xbox controller size and mapping for my big hands too (they do have a smaller size 360 controller if that is a problem lol)

If you need a controller and run windows I'd recommend picking up an xbox360 controller. I believe with a 360 controller (at least the official one) it should work straight out of the box, wireless or not. I don't think the one controller has drivers yet but I'm 99% sure they're in the works. a 360 controller will be a lot cheaper anyways if you intend to use it only for your PC though.

If you want the friendliest plug-and-go experience go with a wired Xbox 360 controller. I agree, this is the safest option by far and requires little work on the user end (however it's more expensive).

Edit 1: Colors! 

Edit 2: added wired to recommendation. Wireless sometimes adds needless complications.

Edited by SpongyPenguin

If you want the friendliest plug-and-go experience go with an Xbox 360 controller. I agree, this is the safest option by far and requires little work on the user end (however it's more expensive).

Not if you get it at game stop, (if you are in the US anyways, not sure if they are international or not) I got one for $20 bucks, sure it was used/refurbished but it works like a charm and have been using it for almost 2 years now with no issues.

A logitech gamepad is perfect if you want to do it fast and easily.

If you want to use a PS4 controller google DS4 Xinput Wrapper, and you'll get what you need with plenty of instructions.

If you want to use an XBox 360 controller, well, that's a bit of a pain because either you need a special (separate) wireless adapter (because they don't know how to bluetooth, apparently), or you need a wired one (which nobody sells any more), and the non-microsoft wired ones don't come with the right drivers to make 'em work.

I've played Warframe with both a Xbox 360 wired controller and a Logitech F310.

Is there a specific controller you're looking to use, or just asking for the one that doesn't require a lot of work to setup?

The easiest experience, at least from my own experience, is using the two controllers I mentioned above. I've tried other brands, but sometimes wireless can be tricky and then there's some weird brand controllers that don't work well...

If you're used to the Playstation layout on a controller than the Logitech F310 OR if you want wireless then the Logitech F710 is your best bet. If you want a Xbox controller layout, then the Xbox 360 wired controller works best.

You can also use a Xbox One controller and download drivers from Microsoft, then that should work great on PC. And you can get a wireless dongle for a Xbox 360 controller, but most of them are Chinese made and have been known to break more often, however some people have had theirs for years and haven't had a issue.

windows PC is pretty flexible.  How it works under the hood is your controller appears to the system as a "joystick".    Windows supports *at least* 6 "stick axis" input and like 16 or 32 buttons, which means almost anything you can plug into your computer will work.  You *may* have to set something up, either in the windows controller area of the control panel, the game in question, or in the worst case scenario, you may have to use the junkware that came with the device (avoid if possible, most of these burn cpu and memory to do nothing at all, one or two have useful features).  

But the bottom line is you can buy one that you like and it will work --- they all look the SAME to the computer and all work, from the crudest atari 1 button and 2 axis models all the way up to the latest flight stick with pedals and fire control and hats and all that junk to xbox / playstation/etc clone sticks.  

I do just fine with a keyboard and a mouse.  Warframe is not a complex game that needs 20 buttons and 3 sticks.