Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Limbo, Development And Feedback

DE_Adam

With such an unprecedented degree of crowd control on an individual and area-of-effect level finding a good balance between all of his skills Limbo is quite the exciting challenge.  He hasn’t been rift walking around the Solar System for very long now, but just like any Update we keep a close eye on all of our new content.  When it comes to Limbo’s concept response to his powers has been quite positive, but it’s pretty clear based upon the feedback we’ve received so far that his incredibly unique playstyle requires a few necessary adjustments.

Immediately after launch our team has gathered the feedback you’ve given on Limbo’s design.  Taking the criticism that most resonates with the majority of our community directly to Scott, we can quickly put together a list of changes to test on Limbo internally.

Some examples of common feedback has included:

• Casting animations are too long.
  • Banishing enemies one at a time is too slow.
  • Increased damage multiplayer on Rift Surge isn’t quite good enough to warrant using the ability.
  • Pickups within Cataclysm should be brought within the rift.
  • Banish needs to work both ways, an ‘unbanish’ action should be possible by Limbo.

Naturally between these issues it can be really difficult to find Limbo’s place within a squad, and there has been no shortage of theorycrafting on how Limbo will alter group play.  Rest assured, changes are coming.  To help you keep track of what we’ve fixed/changed so far, here is the current list. If you have been avoiding Limbo because you experienced one of these issues, it’s certainly worth a read:

• Banish has already been updated to receive ‘a recast’, but we’re currently thinking about combining Banish and Rift Walk into the same power to help minimize mandatory ability rotations.
  • Rift Surge has now received a casting animation speed boost to help increase its utility.
  • Fixed issues with the Limbo Theorem quest inbox not automatically appearing.
  • Stalker ability cancel ability can close rifts. Prevents people from just using Banish or Tear in Space to avoid being hurt by the Stalker.
  • Fixed issues with Void laser and Ice traps affecting Limbo while Rift Walk is active.
  • Fixed issues with Limbo dropping items like the datamass while activating Rift Walk potentially losing them forever.

We will continue to monitor Limbo as future changes are made to ensure the wondrous master of rifts is able to stand proud in solo and group play.  As we make adjustments to our latest Warframe we’ll be sure to update this thread to help better consolidate these changes into a single location for you to read.  

A solution for the whole being banished fiasco would be to give Banished players the option to un-banish themselves. Possibly using the Interact key while being Banished would negate the effects imparted by the ability, and this would be a slap in the face to all the Limbo trolls out there.

Yeah in the rift u supposed to be much stronger than enemie in there but just + dmg it not good enough

try to stay in the rift with grineer end up limbo die in the blink of an eye LOL so what the point using rift if u cant even protect ur self from them ( or useless by send only "yourself" to the rift )

remember it just make them in the rift they still can shoot u back just fine

Personally I think Banish and Rift Walk should be separate abilities, and feel one of the biggest issues is the fact that Banish is single-target. 

I feel that Banish would become a much more useful ability if it was more of an AoE/Cone attack similar to Mag's Pull.

If there is any ability I feel that needs a rework/replacement I believe it is Rift Surge.

Edited by Sasquatch180

Everyone hates banish being use by trolls, and the skills giving the frame a bad name. By the way I freaking love Limbo as a support frame.

What if Banish was a buff that sat on the friendly player and went off when they took lethal damage. Throws them into the rift to recharge shields and get out of dodge.

The benefit of this the new Rep mod that was added for it would still work, and make banish even a better tool to saving people.

With such an unprecedented degree of crowd control on an individual and area-of-effect level finding a good balance between all of his skills Limbo is quite the exciting challenge.  He hasn’t been rift walking around the Solar System for very long now, but just like any Update we keep a close eye on all of our new content.  When it comes to Limbo’s concept response to his powers has been quite positive, but it’s pretty clear based upon the feedback we’ve received so far that his incredibly unique playstyle requires a few necessary adjustments.

Immediately after launch our team has gathered the feedback you’ve given on Limbo’s design.  Taking the criticism that most resonates with the majority of our community directly to Scott, we can quickly put together a list of changes to test on Limbo internally.

Some examples of common feedback has included:

• Casting animations are too long.
  • Banishing enemies one at a time is too slow.
  • Increased damage multiplayer on Rift Surge isn’t quite good enough to warrant using the ability.
  • Pickups within Cataclysm should be brought within the rift.
  • Banish needs to work both ways, an ‘unbanish’ action should be possible by Limbo.

Naturally between these issues it can be really difficult to find Limbo’s place within a squad, and there has been no shortage of theorycrafting on how Limbo will alter group play.  Rest assured, changes are coming.  To help you keep track of what we’ve fixed/changed so far, here is the current list. If you have been avoiding Limbo because you experienced one of these issues, it’s certainly worth a read:

• Banish has already been updated to receive ‘a recast’, but we’re currently thinking about combining Banish and Rift Walk into the same power to help minimize mandatory ability rotations.
  • Rift Surge has now received a casting animation speed boost to help increase its utility.
  • Fixed issues with the Limbo Theorem quest inbox not automatically appearing.
  • Stalker ability cancel ability can close rifts. Prevents people from just using Banish or Tear in Space to avoid being hurt by the Stalker.
  • Fixed issues with Void laser and Ice traps affecting Limbo while Rift Walk is active.
  • Fixed issues with Limbo dropping items like the datamass while activating Rift Walk potentially losing them forever.

We will continue to monitor Limbo as future changes are made to ensure the wondrous master of rifts is able to stand proud in solo and group play.  As we make adjustments to our latest Warframe we’ll be sure to update this thread to help better consolidate these changes into a single location for you to read.  

Glad to see that the idea of combining Rift Walk and Banish has been noticed. :)

Also, I feel like the rift plane should grand more advantages to the user and frendly units inside, a speed buff and firing speed buff for exemple, while decreasing the effectiveness of enemy units.

It would be nice if enemies were debuffed somehow while in the rift and Limbo and allies were buffed. That'd fix some issues with Cataclysm, at it now only acts as a very small arena when casting it on a group of enemies. Right now its safer to rift walk and pick enemies off one by one, but it takes forever. Using Cataclysm to take banished enemies out just doesn't happen safely.

EDIT: The ability to push enemies out of the rift with Banish was a nice addition, I have to say. I utilized that quite well. I'd also am on the fence of seeing Banish and Rift Walk combined. I'd still like to only banish myself in case I run into trouble.

Edited by R34LM

I'm actually against banish and riftwalk becoming one ability. Rift walk is great if your in need of a bailout and banish just needs a rework in my opinion.

Banish should act similar to embers fireball, where there's an aoe effect around the target hit that can drag more people in as well. To eliminate trolling you should make it so this aoe only affects enemies and still needs a direct cast on allied frames.

The banish mechanic is quite tricky because of it's nature.

When the player on the receiving end finds it helpful that is great, but when they don't and are stuck with it...well....

The idea that another players actions can have that much of a forced impact on how I play is not welcomed.

Whether or not a player is in the rift shouldn't be entirely up to whoever is playing limbo.

Players NEED the ability unbanish themselves. 

Either that the way it works need to be reworked somehow.

Banish should have a cone effect or some AOE. Banishing enemies one by one is a waste of time in high level missions.

Cataclysm should be sorta like a toggle ability. It doesn't do that much damage and its pretty godd in combination with his 3. But not getting a drop or having another group of enemies you have to deal with IS annoying. Plus, the shrinking effect forces you to put your allies in the rift. Which brings us to another problem.

Banish can be used and will be used for trolling, even unintentional. Allies who are hit by banish could have a portal behind them that brings them back to the material world or doing a backflip flips you out of the rift.

His 3 doesn't do S#&$. 1.5 damage multiplier is not very good especially with the cost and it lacks additional effects. Maybe a knockdown to enemies in rift? You are surging power thorugh it.

Loving Limbo so far. Visuals are great. Rift Walk makes you feel like your playing borderlands xD. Love that top hat and the noble anamination of hiding your pistol behind your back. Reminds me of aiden pearce. I love the feel of playing limbo and actually thinking bout doing stuff instead of SPAM 4 FOR WIN.

I do like the change to banish for some reason it deals much more damage now makes sense and almost instantly kills level up to level 20s corpus saw good amount of damage numbers great job! though I do hope that you will keep banish and rift walk as two different abilities as they have their specific uses and makes it more interesting to discover new ways on using them. would like to increase casting speed of cataclysm though if possible thanks!

Banish should have a cone effect or some AOE. Banishing enemies one by one is a waste of time in high level missions.

Cataclysm should be sorta like a toggle ability. It doesn't do that much damage and its pretty godd in combination with his 3. But not getting a drop or having another group of enemies you have to deal with IS annoying. Plus, the shrinking effect forces you to put your allies in the rift. Which brings us to another problem.

Banish can be used and will be used for trolling, even unintentional. Allies who are hit by banish could have a portal behind them that brings them back to the material world or doing a backflip flips you out of the rift.

His 3 doesn't do S#&$. 1.5 damage multiplier is not very good especially with the cost and it lacks additional effects. Maybe a knockdown to enemies in rift? You are surging power thorugh it.

Loving Limbo so far. Visuals are great. Rift Walk makes you feel like your playing borderlands xD. Love that top hat and the noble anamination of hiding your pistol behind your back. Reminds me of aiden pearce. I love the feel of playing limbo and actually thinking bout doing stuff instead of SPAM 4 FOR WIN.

I agree on everything said here.

I for one find the ability to go in and out of rift walk to be one of his most interesting features.  I hope the animation for going into rift walk is greatly reduced though and this becomes more of a fluid transition.

I'm not sure what is meant by combining banish and rift walk, but I hope it doesn't interfere with the ability to go in and out at will.  Banish causing you to automatically rift walk wouldn't be terrible, but one aspect of survivability and crowd control it currently offers is that you can stop a mob from causing damage to whatever you are trying to protect.  Dropping it on an ancient as he is winding up means that "come over here" maneuver is neutered, even if he isn't knocked down (which happens).

His quest needs heavy rebalancing. The only times I was able to complete the AW section was apparently when bugs were keeping the enemy levels in check. Since AW was "fixed", I've chain-failed it repeatedly, and am hating myself for not guessing I'd need more of those "proof" thingies back when it was easy/bugged.

I for one find the ability to go in and out of rift walk to be one of his most interesting features.  I hope the animation for going into rift walk is greatly reduced though and this becomes more of a fluid transition.

I'm not sure what is meant by combining banish and rift walk, but I hope it doesn't interfere with the ability to go in and out at will.  Banish causing you to automatically rift walk wouldn't be terrible, but one aspect of survivability and crowd control it currently offers is that you can stop a mob from causing damage to whatever you are trying to protect.  Dropping it on an ancient as he is winding up means that "come over here" maneuver is neutered, even if he isn't knocked down (which happens).

I agree with this please keep banish and rift walk separate abilities as rift walk is a really unique feature for limbo.

I agree with this please keep banish and rift walk separate abilities as rift walk is a really unique feature for limbo.

Would love to see the animation get removed or reduced greatly. Reason why I got limbo in the first place was because I wanted to feel like Kassadin ganking like a b*tch

Personal suggestion:
Make Rift Surge a passive ability, and replace it with Blink: When activated, use the arrow keys to Blink in the direction you wish for 5/10 energy per jump(a jump could be say, 5-15 meters). If you aim at an enemy, you bash into them, either stunning or knocking them down. This would make a great ability mod in my opinion, something like a mix of Worm Hole and Teleport.

Anyone agree?