Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Limbo, Development And Feedback

DE_Adam

Has the idea of making rift surge an innate property of the rift plane been raised? That is get rid of rift surge completely and all enemies in the void automatically take 3x damage. That means we need a new ability.

OR what could be cool is if all enemies take twice as much damage in the rift plane while players deal twice as much damage while in the rift plane. This means when only players are in the plane their abilities (which still affect enemies outside of the rift plane) do twice the damage.

but when both the enemy and the player are in the rift plane, damage is effectively quadrupled.

Dunno if that's too OP, but trying to keep the old multiplier of 3 would mean multipliers of 1.72 or something like that.

This along with being able to toggle cataclysm or allowing more than one to be active.

Edited by RyanGo

I think that when enemies walk into Cataclysm, they should be knocked down or at least be slowed down by something. Banish knocks down enemies all the time (unless it's a Heavy Gunner doing its groundslam animation) so why shouldn't Cataclysm? This would give Limbo a lot more CC utility, especially when he gets hid Cataclysm toggle.

Has the idea of making rift surge an innate property of the rift plane been raised? That is get rid of rift surge completely and all enemies in the void automatically take 3x damage. That means we need a new ability.

OR what could be cool is if all enemies take twice as much damage in the rift plane while players deal twice as much damage while in the rift plane. This means when only players are in the plane their abilities (which still affect enemies outside of the rift plane) do twice the damage.

but when both the enemy and the player are in the rift plane, damage is effectively quadrupled.

Dunno if that's too OP, but trying to keep the old multiplier of 3 would mean multipliers of 1.72 or something like that.

This along with being able to toggle cataclysm or allowing more than one to be active.

I completely agree with this. Most people only remember to use Rift Surge when they remember it exists, and Limbo has enough abilities that need to be used in conjunction with each other already. Besides, we need more insentive to be in the rift besides invulnerablilty and energy regen, because it distrupts gameplay a bit too much. This would give us an opportunity to give Limbo an ability that gives him utility and makes him fun to use in both endgame and low level missions.

How about we give him an ability that automatically expells all enemies inside the rift while at the same time proc them or give them some sort of debuff? Enemies inside Catacysm would also be thrown outside the sphere. This would be great since it can act like an "oh S#&$" button if you accidentally Banish someone tricky, and also give Limbo more tricks to use in conjunction to his other abilities. It'll give him more control over the battlefield and make his Cataclysm less useless in Infested Defense.

Edited by shirokoi

could also make Haven a general augment , purely about the rift and not skill based

any friend entering the rift including yourself will get the heal boost?

I do admit, a 'Rift Augment' would be a neat idea.  At first I thought it might be a bit too OP - after all, entering/exiting a Cataclysm quickly would recover a lot of health quickly.  But considering that's his 'ultimate', I think that'd be fine - plus it'd make Cataclysm a lot more versatile (it could be used as a zone of denial and/or as a zone of healing - very different than other healing options we currently have).

I'd be all for it.

I completely agree with this. Most people only remember to use Rift Surge when they remember it exists, and Limbo has enough abilities that need to be used in conjunction with each other already. Besides, we need more insentive to be in the rift besides invulnerablilty and energy regen, because it distrupts gameplay a bit too much. This would give us an opportunity to give Limbo an ability that gives him utility and makes him fun to use in both endgame and low level missions.

How about we give him an ability that automatically expells all enemies inside the rift while at the same time proc them or give them some sort of debuff? Enemies inside Catacysm would also be thrown outside the sphere. This would be great since it can act like an "oh S#&$" button if you accidentally Banish someone tricky, and also give Limbo more tricks to use in conjunction to his other abilities. It'll give him more control over the battlefield and make his Cataclysm less useless in Infested Defense.

Ooh, I'd enjoy an ability like that. The main issue I'd see with it is if you use that with a high-range Cataclysm. What if there's an obstacle between the enemy and the nearest "outer point" of the bubble? Or would it just flat-out warp them to the nearest point?

Toggle, make rift surge a property of the rift(still affected by power strength ^^), and this!

Ooh, I'd enjoy an ability like that. The main issue I'd see with it is if you use that with a high-range Cataclysm. What if there's an obstacle between the enemy and the nearest "outer point" of the bubble? Or would it just flat-out warp them to the nearest point?

I think that it should just push the enemy as far as they can go. If there's an obstacle in the way, the enemy should just be thrown against it. This way, it's not too overpowered and forces players to be careful of their Cataclysm size and placement.

This ability would be an excellent addition to Limbo's arsenal. Think about it, you can now have more control over who's in the rift with you. In Infested Defense, you can pretty much throw a Cataclysm over the cryopod and spam this new ability, and continuously shove the infested away from the objective. Perfect defense. Heck, you can even fix the old problem if not being able to pick up loot by pushing any items inside of Cataclysm outside of its perimeter. You still retain the benifits of the rift while dealing with the drawback of having to leave the rift to get items. It also makes things slightly less irritating for teammates.

And also, this ability pretty much balances itself, since it still utilizes Limbo's core mechanics.

Pros: More control over who's in the rift, as well as creating a safe spot in Cataclysm for allies if things get crowded. I'm still wondering what kind of debuff this ability should give...

Cons: You still have to be outside of Cataclysm if you want to do decent damage with your weapon. Also, you can't mindlessly spam this if you want enemies to gather in one spot for easy killing and management.

Edited by shirokoi

A broad update on this topic:

Scott has confirmed Cataclysm as a toggleable ability will be coming, likely in the next PC Update!

Nice!

Then I need to ask: What about all the OTHER abilities with similar "power in use" issues? Tornado, Tempest Barrage, Tentacle Swarm, Hysteria etc? They all need spammability (Tempest Barrage) or recastability/deactivation (The other 3, among many other abilites) fixes as well!

I mean, you guys have done such a TREMENDOUS job lately with fixing some of these problematic abilities, such as Mind Control and Blessing. Why stop there? :) Why not make ALL abilities recastable/deactivatable/spammable (useage depends on the power of the ability of course) so we can remove that annoying "Power in Use" message once and for all?

I want to add my 2 cents and say that I feel linmbos #1 needs to be a cone.

I disagree. The precision of it is a good thing. The only "multi-target" change I'd go for is making into a continuous beam, similiar to Gammacor or Quanta, which can then be swept over enemies. It'd probably have to be set up to only be able to toggle a target's status once per button hold, not sure how difficult that'd be to actually program.

Nice!

Then I need to ask: What about all the OTHER abilities with similar "power in use" issues? Tornado, Tempest Barrage, Tentacle Swarm, Hysteria etc? They all need spammability (Tempest Barrage) or recastability/deactivation (The other 3, among many other abilites) fixes as well!

I mean, you guys have done such a TREMENDOUS job lately with fixing some of these problematic abilities, such as Mind Control and Blessing. Why stop there? :) Why not make ALL abilities recastable/deactivatable/spammable (useage depends on the power of the ability of course) so we can remove that annoying "Power in Use" message once and for all?

Nope. Lags on client and long animation makes me miss Mesa's Peacemaker often. I mean, suddenly a bunch of enemies materialize around me, I reflex-hit 4 and nothing happens, I hit it again and the ability activates and deactivates, and I have to hit it again.

Limbo needs a bit more things than a togable Catalysm.

Banish, rift walk and catacalysm should lower the thread level of the beings in the void to 0 for everything outside the void, which would be logical no?

Launcher weapons can shoot from outside to inside and other way around in the rift, all other weapons can't (don't know if this exists already, never tested it, not a fan of launchers)

Rift surge should instead multiply damage to enemies inside the rift multiply the damage of everything inside the rift, both ally's as enemies.

A broad update on this topic:

Scott has confirmed Cataclysm as a toggleable ability will be coming, likely in the next PC Update!

..... if cataclysm is a toggle, then is it not going to shrink anymore? or explode? you are basically completely changing the power... =/

and when was this a problem anyways? ppl have a problem with not being able to get drops/pickups that are within the rift during cataclysm, THAT is what we wanted addressed, and there is no mention of this

why not just let limbo collapse cataclysm at will with another press of the button? or let him have 3-4 of them out at once? much better solutions that do not completely change a power's feel/design that was fine except for the unaddressed bugs

i completely fail to see how changing cata to a toggle addresses ANY of the issues brought up in this thread... =/

We'll just have to wait and see if any other changes aside from toggling have been made to Cataclysm. For all we know, it really could just be press-button-again-to-pop-bubble.

And when there is no bubble, there's nothing stopping players from picking up items.

..... if cataclysm is a toggle, then is it not going to shrink anymore? or explode? you are basically completely changing the power... =/

and when was this a problem anyways? ppl have a problem with not being able to get drops/pickups that are within the rift during cataclysm, THAT is what we wanted addressed, and there is no mention of this

why not just let limbo collapse cataclysm at will with another press of the button? or let him have 3-4 of them out at once? much better solutions that do not completely change a power's feel/design that was fine except for the unaddressed bugs

i completely fail to see how changing cata to a toggle addresses ANY of the issues brought up in this thread... =/

At least Limbo can use it to allow that breather of pick-ups between rounds of defense (or survival to a lesser extent). Since sometimes the round/game ends and the cataclysm is not yielding in that last batch of run around pickups. You get to stare sadly at the pile of stuff you can't have.

But he of course needs more work....especially on the pickups. No reason one shouldn't be allowed to pick up items on their respective planes.

And the rift surge thing. It needs something else to be useful. Maybe just be some outright damage that radiates off Limbo. The power of the Void reaching its tendrils out and affecting things in the opposite plane.

Edited by (PS4)Folkeye

I really like the idea of making the damage bonus from Rift Surge a passive, since that'll give us more of a reason to be in the rift along with teammates. This way, we can make a new 3rd ability and make Limbo more viable.

I was thinking of an ability that would automatically expel any enemy already in the rift back out while dealing damage or a debuff (like a knockdown), as well as shove any enemy inside of Cataclysm out of the sphere. This, of course, would not push Limbo himself out of the rift. This would serve as an excellent utility since you have much more control over who is in the rift with you. It can be an "oh S#&$!" button for when you accidentally Banish something too tricky.

The main thing about this ability would be its great synergy with Cataclysm, especially when it gets its toggle option. With this ability, you can constantly clear an area of enemies and protect teammates or the cryopod, as well as debuffing whatever enemy tries to get in.

Heck, if DE really doesn't want to let us pick up loot in the rift for "balancing issues", this ability can also just push all items inside Cataclysm out, making them accessible to everyone. 

Of course, there are drawbacks since we can't let this be too OP. However, since it already uses Limbo's mechanics, it pretty much balances itself out. You still have to go outside of Cataclysm if you want to do decent weapon damage, and you need to be careful if you want enemies in one spot for easy killing and management. Maybe we can make it have a small cooldown time or something. Tell me what you think!