Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Another Archwing Minimap Option

7.T.

vThiAfE.jpg

So, as you can see I only know how to use paint. Sorry for the crude example. Anyway, I was thinking something similar to this. Maybe used in addition to the level map on a non-free space mission?

Think of the grids in this picture at a softer angle (best picture I could find lol), translucent, and on a larger scale. The axes(X, Y, Z) would always be centered on your view (Y+ would always be the direction you are looking) with an arrow pointing in the direction your facing for clarity.

Enemies on the same X/Y plane will show up as bright red, enemies that are not would be a faded red. Teammates being blue/faded blue. Each with distance indicators and arrows indicating if they are up or down exactly like we have now (forgot to add those).

The "plane" would be large enough to not require lining up perfectly with an enemy relative to your view. When looking around, the map could be static with the red dots moving according to your view. Or maybe have it swivel if that makes it easier for target acquisition.

I dunno, maybe this idea would be awful in practice. Just something similar would be nice. 

I also like windywisp's idea in this thread: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/332799-archwing-needs-a-different-kind-of-minimap/  A globe would definitely look cooler than two flat intersecting square grids. 

EDIT: Added some info in post #3

Edited by 7.T.

If you've ever seen the Ace Combat's enemy tracking HUD, that mixed with the 3D map will be great for Archwing. It's possible to get a 2D map right as well- by having the icons fade relative to altitude and have an indicator. The issue with DE's map is the bad HUD. It lacks an altitude indicator, a way to tell what angle you're facing, and lacks enemy tracking on single targets. However, adding the 3D map is definitely something that should be considered.

One thing may be boundary lines for the map as well, to prevent auto- extract. Another thing would be to keep the map's orientation locked. This is actually rather important, because it prevents you from getting lost easily, and keeps you oriented. Having a rotating 3D map is like rotating a road map every time you make a turn- you lose your sense of direction.

Your suggestion is great, and I think it should definitely be used.

Edited by UpgradeInProgress

-snip-

Thank you very much. I think I would prefer a static map as well. i.e. if you looked towards the red dot on the right, the red dot would move to the Y line. Or, as Rogue.Samurai told me, the yellow arrow could turn towards the red dot instead (which I prefer now that I think about it). In both ways, the map, axes, and your Warframe icon would not move. I completely agree that an enemy's red dot should fade more with increased +Z/-Z distance. Thanks for your input

Edited by 7.T.

The other day I was thinking it would even be helpful to have small red enemy indicators around the edge of the screen. When enemies are within a certain radius, an enemy icon would show up corresponding to where they were. If they're somewhere above and to your right, the icon would be in the top right of your screen. Maybe have them fade according to how far away they are. That said, it wouldn't change the fact that the current map is not very useful, so I'd like to at least see a comprehensive 3D map before considering indicators like I was talking about.

Edited by Rogue.Samurai