Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Win The Game Of Limbo

DivineCause

HA, now that my word play has dragged u in, let's begin, and be ready for a lengthy read.

Cheers and keep it Classy :)

Lets talk Limbo. Limbo is a​ void magician/wizard. Effortlessly jumping to and from our plane and the rift plane. I can best describe him as a caster/assassin with the way he can single out targets, isolate them, and kill them. He does it pretty well......but theres always room for improvement. 

Keep in mind these are proposed changes. While some are needed, others are not, so don't go into a frenzy if you don't agree with something.

Let's start at Limbo's 1st, Banish.

Banish: 'Displaces a target into the rift plane, inflicting additional damage if the target is hostile". As it stands, u just need to cast this over, and over, and over. It really slows down his potential damage output and without efficiency mods, will quickly drain your energy pool. Plus trolls abuse it, so at the very least we need to fix that.

Proposed change #1: Have banish work on a charge mechanic. Thats right, a charge mechanic. Heres how it'd work. pressing 1 or the mouse wheel(whichever u prefer) will cast Banish normally on an enemy, now holding 1/mouse wheel will create an aoe sphere at target enemy engulfing nearby enemies within its radius, sending them all to the rift plane(or bring them back). The charge time to achieve the aoe cast should be as short as 1 second to as long as 2 seconds, and the  range of the sphere should be anywhere from 3 meters to 7 meters with no limit to the amount of enemies that can be Banished in one cast. Casting a fully charged Banish will drain 35 energy instead of 25(without efficiency mods). Banish still retains its knock down.

Reasoning: The charge mechanic with aoe will really streamline Banish. Being able to Banish multiple enemies at a time will help limit excessive casting and save energy in the process. As long as you're Rift Walking like a boss, u should have all the time in the origin system to utilize the aoe cast. Even without Rift Walk, it'll be pretty easy to charge up Banish in a firefight given its short charge time. 

Animation: For normal cast, the same. For charge cast, Limbo will pull his left arm in a bit further into his torso before swinging his arm out for the cast.

ANTI-TROLL MECHANIC: With an aoe cast, Banish has the potential to send an entire squad of Tenno to the rift plane at the troll's delight(oh the inhumanity). Never fear, for I have considered this and have a way for the Tenno to deny the troll his satisfaction. Rolling, yes rolling. I rarely see any other Tenno roll, so simply roll in any direction to exit the void plane at your own leisure. (Note, the roll must be intentional and will NOT include rolls cause from falling).

Next is Limbo's 2nd, Rift Walk.

Rift Walk: 'Limbo pass into the rift plane'. Not bad as his main, considering he is immune to damage outside of the rift. But could use improvement nonetheless.

Proposed change #1: Instead of being rooted when casting Rift Walk, the player has free movement during cast. As an additional effect, having Rift Walk active allows Limbo to clip through players and enemies NOT in the rift plane. If Limbo were to exit the rift while clipping a player or enemy, they are just scooted over to the closest unoccupied space.

change #2 and #3 are the same as change #1, just with tweaks.

Proposed change #2: Rift Walk is toogle-able, allowing Limbo to stay in the rift plane for extended periods of time at the expense of constant energy drain.

Proposed change #3: Rift Walk operates on a charge mechanic, yes another one. Casting Rift Walk normally has Limbo enter the rift plane normally, while charging Rift Walk will root Limbo in place for a set duration, after which he deals a short ranged rift pulse upon entering/exiting. The pulse will deal little damage but has knock down. The charge will last for 3-4 seconds before casting and will cost 15 more energy.

Reasoning: With free movement during cast, Rift Walk will actually fell like................. I don't know...........like maybe actually 'walking into the rift plane'. Plus we would get a much cooler animation.

Animation: When casting, Limbo does a 'Good Day Sir' hat tip as he enters and exits the rift plane. Bringing his classiness level to............................. just under 9000 at 8999. 

Third, Rift Surge.

Rift Surge: 'Surge the void energy through the rift plane, increasing the damage inflicted on enemies that have been banished there'. Nothing really wrong with it. Rift Surge as it is affects the entire rift for a lengthy duration is great and just to clarify I think is fine as is, but I had a lot of ideas swirling around so i decided to include the ones for Rift Surge too.

Proposed change #1: Casting Rift Surge will add the damage modifier to both Banish and Cataclysm, The damage modifier stays until consumed when either Banish or Cataclysm is cast. all enemies that are hit by either cast are affected by the damage modifier. The modifier last as long as the duration of the ability it was cast with. The modifier comes in after the initial damage of the casted ability(no super banish or cataclysm). When active, Limbo will be outlined with energy

Reasoning for #1: This makes Rift Surge more of an augment since its sole purpose is to buff Limbo's 1st and 4th. 

Animation: Limbo readjusts his top hat. Plain and simple.

Proposed change #2: Borrowing a page from Nova's 'Null Star'. Limbo creates a number of Rift orbs that orbit around him. Rift orbs automatically seek out Banished enemies. Banished enemies that are hit by a rift orbs suffer a little impact damage, stagger, and have the debuff that increases damage inflicted. The rift orbs have MASSIVE range and coordinate(void magic) so the maximum amount of enemies will be hit. Enemies hit by an orb will have a distinct aura around them. The damage modifier can stay the same, x3 damage is ALOT. After cast, the rift orbs will orbit Limbo for 6-15 seconds, enemies hit by the orb will be affected for 6-8 seconds. At base rank, Rift Surge will produce 1 orb, while at max rank will produce 4 orbs. Adding strength mods increases the amount of orbs produced. Orbs fly at enemies at a quick pace, but do not insta-hit. Limbo can recast Rift Surge to replenish missing orbs at a reduced cost depending on the amount of missing rift orbs.

Reasoning: Orbs of energy orbiting around characters in general is pretty cool, especially when the character has a top hat :)

Animation: Limbo takes off his top hat, and like a magician, sends out rift orbs to orbit around him. After the last rift orb flies out, Limbo puts his top hat back on.

And lastly, Limbo's 4th, Cataclysm.

Cataclysm: 'A violent blast of void energy tears open a pocket of rift plane which can sustain itself for a short period of time before collapsing in another legal blast'.Thats underlined because its misleading. Cataclysm does not collapse into another 'lethal' blast. It does explode at the end but its just a little poke and makes this a little underwhelming as an ultimate. 

Proposed change #1: When casting, Limbo will teleport backwards 20 meters (or until he comes across an obstacle) and leaves behind the Cataclysm which will causes stagger or knock down. Upon teleporting, Limbo will also enter into the rift plane(which he can exit at his leisure) to take advantage of the Cataclysm. Initial damage of the cast is kept, as well as the damage incurred when entering or exiting the Cataclysm. When the Cataclysm expires, it violently detonates in a large radius for massive damage. Damage caused at the end is also increased based on the number of enemies that have entered/exited, this damage increase is stackable and has no hard limit(also the same enemy can keep adding stacks). Further more, entering or exiting the Cataclysm causes it to become increasing unstable, shortening its duration and thus collapsing faster.

Reasoning: You're opening a giant rift in space, OF COURSE IT SHOULD WRECK EVERYONES DAY. That aside, it should be an ultimate worthy of Limbo's concept. While you can argue that Limbo's Ultimate is fine the way it is, it is lackluster in terms of damage and reliable CC. 

Well........ theres everything I have to put on the table. Please feel free to discuss in the comments below as I'm looking forward to the ensuing discussions as is Cephalon Suda.

Suda <3

+1 for original ideas and a damn good post for someone new to the forums. We could use more quality posters around these parts.

The biggest thing for me is the inconveniences that Limbo's abilities can cause for a cell, and I hope some changes can be made soon.

Edit: Honestly, I wish Banish could be held down to target a larger area around a target or simply tapped to affect just a single enemy. Having to keep tapping it while Rifted is inconvenient to the point where people don't even bother.

3vpSsLf.png

Edited by JohnProdman

Banish: 'Displaces a target into the rift plane, inflicting additional damage if the target is hostile". As it stands, u just need to cast this over, and over, and over. It really slows down his potential damage output and without efficiency mods, will quickly drain your energy pool. Plus trolls abuse it, so at the very least we need to fix that.

Proposed change #1: Have banish work on a charge mechanic. Thats right, a charge mechanic. Heres how it'd work. pressing 1 or the mouse wheel(whichever u prefer) will cast Banish normally on an enemy, now holding 1/mouse wheel will create an aoe sphere at target enemy engulfing nearby enemies within its radius, sending them all to the rift plane(or bring them back). The charge time to achieve the aoe cast should be as short as 1 second to as long as 2 seconds, and the  range of the sphere should be anywhere from 3 meters to 7 meters with no limit to the amount of enemies that can be Banished in one cast. Casting a fully charged Banish will drain 35 energy instead of 25(without efficiency mods). Banish still retains its knock down.

Reasoning: The charge mechanic with aoe will really streamline Banish. Being able to Banish multiple enemies at a time will help limit excessive casting and save energy in the process. As long as you're Rift Walking like a boss, u should have all the time in the origin system to utilize the aoe cast. Even without Rift Walk, it'll be pretty easy to charge up Banish in a firefight given its short charge time. 

i am not sure about that first hardly any frame has AoE techs for 1st and this one has a huge single target control potential, it has to have a cost

ANTI-TROLL MECHANIC: With an aoe cast, Banish has the potential to send an entire squad of Tenno to the rift plane at the troll's delight(oh the inhumanity). Never fear, for I have considered this and have a way for the Tenno to deny the troll his satisfaction. Rolling, yes rolling. I rarely see any other Tenno roll, so simply roll in any direction to exit the void plane at your own leisure. (Note, the roll must be intentional and will NOT include rolls cause from falling).

or they could make it work only once in a given target like Nyx mind control 

Rift Walk: 'Limbo pass into the rift plane'. Not bad as his main, considering he is immune to damage outside of the rift. But could use improvement nonetheless.

Proposed change #1: Instead of being rooted when casting Rift Walk, the player has free movement during cast. As an additional effect, having Rift Walk active allows Limbo to clip through players and enemies NOT in the rift plane. If Limbo were to exit the rift while clipping a player or enemy, they are just scooted over to the closest unoccupied space.

change #2 and #3 are the same as change #1, just with tweaks.

Proposed change #2: Rift Walk is toogle-able, allowing Limbo to stay in the rift plane for extended periods of time at the expense of constant energy drain.

could be number 2 but make it so that energy drain grows with time or you will have quite a lot of infinite AFKs

3rd is good as it is

how about for 4th you make 

Cataclysm : A violent blast of void energy tears open a pocket of rift plane which can sustain itself for a short period of time, enemies in range will be forcefully dragged inside the Rift and take sustained damage while the rift drains their life for the duration of Cataclysm, when the duration runs out the Rift collapses dealing damage equal to what targets inside took, to targets inside or nearby the Rift.

that way you could control how much damage/time it takes and it would scale with enemies. 

btw: the idea comes from the Twilight/Gloom from "Day watch" which allowed enhanced speed and power but drained your life, which i think has a hand in the whole Limbo concept

played arround my my limbo frame for a few days now and i've got to say that there is realy only one thing wrong with him and thats banish.

i kinda like the charge idea but simplicities sake i'd just do something like a short scale (~3m at max level) and short timed (1 second) reverse cataclysm. basicly just make the target a short timed walking buble, where everything the bubble touches get banished into the rift and remove the damage banish does all together.  this can ofc be extended by stretch and continuity mods.

rift walk is perfectly fine the way it is. sure it has a cast time but considering you run 20% faster and you get 1 (or 2?) power per second as bonus and you become virtualy immune to dmg, this is just well worth it.  also, rift walk is basicly toggle-able. the "get out" part is instant, just entering it takes little to no time.

rift surge recently got buffed to 300% damage and boooooy do i like it :D

still not sure what t think of it. I sometimes hate it, sometimes love it. but it certainly needs some sort of buff or change.