Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

You Broke The Game!

Llyssa

Okay, so I downloaded the new update.

I "optimized" the new update.

I hit "play".

I viewed a loading screen.

My warframe came up, with my login box.

My computer made a funny noise and BSoDed immediately.

FIX IT!

EDIT: This is for update 15.0.7

EDIT 2: This hard drive is less than a week old, so, yes, I'm 100% certain it's you.

EDIT 3: The reason WHY it's new: The last hard drive BSoDed repeatedly from the game(only BSoDed during WF), and then died.

Edited by Llyssa

Okay, so I downloaded the new update.

I "optimized" the new update.

I hit "play".

I viewed a loading screen.

My warframe came up, with my login box.

My computer made a funny noise and BSoDed immediately.

FIX IT!

EDIT: This is for update 15.0.7

now im scared mine is updating right now

So 99% of the players have no problems and you have it, i would asume it has to do something with your game/pc.

Nothing else has caused BSoD. I've played a bunch of different things, and nothing else has caused this, no matter how long I spend playing the other things, it's *always* during WF.

I'm scared... Do I relaunch the game or what? ;-;

Well, you can give it a shot. I know part of the issue is that my graphics card is older. Yours is likely newer, so you may not have the same issue. I'm not restarting the game until they push 15.0.8.... based on feedback in the main thread, it works on most computers, but is heavily broken and causing crash issues all over. So we'll probably see it quite soon(Like, tonight).

Warframe cannot be the root cause of a BSoD.
Warframe is a usermode program, a BSoD is a kernel-mode panic.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Windows_Programming/User_Mode_vs_Kernel_Mode

Something with your computer is messed up, and Warframe is touching it in such a way that the messed-up part fails, whereas other games are not doing the same thing.

1 - In the start menu type Advanced System, an option given should be "Advanced System Settings", click that.

2 - In the new window that comes up, hit the third "Settings..." button, under "Startup And Recovery".

3 - Check these settings highlighted in red.  If they are the same as this screenshot then go to step 5.  If not change them and go to step 4.
dump_settings.png

4 - After changing the above settings, play Warframe some more until you get another BSoD, upon which you should get a new dump log in the minidump folder.

5 - Go to C:\Windows\Minidump\ and find the most recent file or two.  Copy these files and then paste them onto your desktop.  Yes this seems stupid, but don't skip it.

6 - Upload these files to your file host of choice, like Mediafire or Mega or Dropbox or whatever.  http://www.filedropper.com/ doesn't need any signup if you just want to upload the files real quick.  After uploading, link us to them.

Had the exact same problem, got four BSODs after U15's launch. I checked the dump files myself and every time nv4_mini.sys or nv4_disp.dll were the cause. And also I noticed that you get "better" results after rebooting the computer- I was even able to login. My guesses that the cause of both BSOD and graphics card related crashes (as well as "insufficient video memory" one) is the driver incompability or video memory issues.
Also I've seen other people recieving BSODs after U15 when trying to play Warframe, so I assume it isn't always our PC's fault.
Here are the dump files, as you asked (maybe you'll discover something more interesting than just my guesses- I'm not so skilled at reading these logs.)
http://www.filedropper.com/mini102414-01 - this one isn't caused by graphics card, but appeared during Warframe as well.

http://www.filedropper.com/mini102514-01

http://www.filedropper.com/mini102514-02

http://www.filedropper.com/mini102714-01

A BSoD is always the PC and never the game, unless the game is running in kernel-mode.  Warframe doesn't even run elevated, let alone in kernel-mode.  I'm not aware of any games that run in kernel-mode directly, though some games have anti-hack protection that does (Starforce and junk), Warframe isn't one of them.

Yup two of the crashes are directly from the Nvidia driver (10/25 and 10/27)... the other two, however, involve Nvidia components but seem to be centered around something other than the main display driver (both 10/24 crashes).  One, notably, has hal.dll involved in the crash, which is the hardware abstraction layer, and you never want to see that involved in crashes 'cause it indicates hardware issues.

You could run something like Furmark on the machine to see if the GPU is malfunctioning due to stress, but at this point it looks like there's hardware issues and they seem to center around the graphics card.  Could be something else like a motherboard chipset issue or the PSU not giving the GPU as much juice as it needs to run full-blown, but that kind of unit-testing is a bit beyond what these forums should be doing.

Hopefully you'll be able to take this info and use it to figure out what's acting up and fix it.

Not exactly willing to nuke my computer(AGAIN) in the name of science.

I've run furmark just fine and dandy.(Very first thing support suggested).

While I understand what you're saying about it being a computer problem(ultimately), the point is that many people have been having these issues, and it's because of the way the software is instructing the hardware. It's mostly been reported by people with older graphics cards, and there's at least one other person who ended up with a fried CPU.

I have NO idea why, but this is a relatively new thing(as I said, since 14.8), coinciding with the announcement of "optimizing how the computer handles the game". So some instruction is being sent that older cards cannot process safely, somehow. I don't know what, but my last HD had 3 BSoDs and then my bios refused to recognize the fact that it even existed. That now this one is getting BSoDed by WF as well(despite being brand new) means something that was "optimized" needs to be doing something differently than it does now.

Hopefully you'll be able to take this info and use it to figure out what's acting up and fix it.

Thanks a lot for your info!

Actually I've never thought that Imay have hardware problems (many other games run smoothly and I haven't noticed any problems (exept Warframe crashing all the time since U15, of course), though I have one bad block on my HDD which caused no issues so far.

I googled a bit about Furmark and found out that it is more for overclocking than testing, so I chose 3Dmark06 instead and got interesting results.

Every GPU test was fine and smooth with mostly above 35 fps (which is more than enough for me), but when it came to CPU test... 1 fps turned out to be the best result.

By the way, I forgot to mention that I have 32-bit software running on my PC because I didn't know that I have x64 CPU (Didn't know much about computers when I installed Windows and everything) and now I'm just too lazy to reinstall everything. :)

There's a large and detailed test result file from 3Dmark:

http://www.filedropper.com/tests_2

P.S. Sorry for my bad english, not a native speaker :)

I'd like to note

this isn't directly related to the issue here in particular, but i felt i should mention the resource usage i've been seeing.

to establish a baseline, while idle my machine normally sits at ~1300-1500MB of RAM being used. and ~2.8gigs of Pagefile storing.

and previously[before U15], Warframe would take these two to ~2500MB of RAM and Pagefile to ~4.3gigs. well within expected usage.

and here's a few things i tested just now.

CPU usage on the Login Screen 100% across all 4 Cores for ~20 seconds. if allowed to settle, CPU usage is normal(well, higher than i remember, but within acceptable bounds) when Logging in and appearing in the Liset.
interestingly enough, CPU usage spike dips down if i login before letting it settle after launching Warframe, then returns to 100%.
CPU usage 100% across all 4 Cores for ~7-8 seconds when hosting Dojo. nobody else joining, hosting it alone to rule out extra variables.
CPU usage 100% across all 4 Cores for ~4 seconds when starting a Earth Jungle Tileset Mission.
CPU usage 100% across all 4 Cores for ~8 seconds when starting a Corpus Ship Tileset Mission.
CPU usage 100% across all 4 Cores for ~2 seconds when starting an Infested Ship Tileset Mission.

in the Liset, system is at ~2500MB and 4.4Gigs.
in a Mission (used Ice Planet and Earth Jungle for this), ~2750MB and 4.9Gigs. sometimes RAM was more around ~3000MB though.

when idle, my GTX760 2G is right now at ~280MB of vRAM used.
on the login screen, ~810MB of vRAM used.
in the Liset, ~835MB of vRAM used.
in a Mission (various Tilesets compared), ~880-1020MB of vRAM used.  this is actually interesting, the last time i examined(admiteddly has been quite a while so it's not the most accurate information), Warframe was using more like ~1250 in a Mission, but only ~600 in Menus, as these two numbers are from before the Liset.

resource management post U15 is... odd. that kind of usage isn't significantly hurting me, game is still overall performing fine. but the numbers are infact significantly higher than before.

was posted to a thread about a possible memory leak.

This leads me to believe we're suffering General Protection Faults of some sort.

There is one Problem I encountered when I tried to install 2 Clients. One Steam and one Standalone.

The Standalone one installed some Drivers. I already had installed those but the Installer copied his over them.

Problem is that somehow the Driver were broken and I've got repeated BSoDs when starting the Game or any other Game who used those Drivers (Redistribute ones).

After uninstalling the Drivers and reinstall them (directly from Microsoft) there weren't any BSoDs anymore.

But that happned at U13...

There is one Problem I encountered when I tried to install 2 Clients. One Steam and one Standalone.

The Standalone one installed some Drivers. I already had installed those but the Installer copied his over them.

Problem is that somehow the Driver were broken and I've got repeated BSoDs when starting the Game or any other Game who used those Drivers (Redistribute ones).

After uninstalling the Drivers and reinstall them (directly from Microsoft) there weren't any BSoDs anymore.

But that happned at U13...

The game did require me to re-download some microsoft .Net .dll files recently, but I supposed that was just because I hadn't installed them yet(new HD and all). I wonder if that has anything to do with it....

EDIT: Name of the file in question was: MSVCP110.dll

Edited by Llyssa

Not exactly willing to nuke my computer(AGAIN) in the name of science.

I'm not asking you to do that.  I'm asking you to show us the dump logs.  Nowhere did I tell you to format.

I've run furmark just fine and dandy.(Very first thing support suggested).

That suggestion was to another user.

While I understand what you're saying about it being a computer problem(ultimately), the point is that many people have been having these issues, and it's because of the way the software is instructing the hardware.

It's your computer, not Warframe.  Warframe is literally incapable of being the direct cause of a BSoD because it's a usermode program whereas a BSoD is a crash of kernel-mode software.

and there's at least one other person who ended up with a fried CPU.

You mean "Who ended up with a faulty system finally dying".

Any CPU that fries from running at 100% is faulty itself and/or installed into a system with faulty sensors and cooling.  CPUs have thermal throttling and thermal shutoff to cut power to the system if the heat approaches dangerous levels, and cooling systems in computers, when installed, are rated to keep the machine cool at full load.

If those systems are malfunctioning then it is the computer that is bad and not the game, because those are failsafes that operate within the motherboard.

I have NO idea why, but this is a relatively new thing(as I said, since 14.8)

Warframe has gotten heavier to run and puts more stress on the system, so more people with systems that have issues are buckling under the added stress.

So some instruction is being sent that older cards cannot process safely, somehow.

That's not how it works.  Warframe can operate on multiple DX API levels, the launcher checks both the software installation and the hardware capability via requesting the feature level to know which versions to allow to run.  And even if you tried running DX10 on a DX9 GPU or DX11 on a DX10 GPU or something like that or some alternate function slipped into a lower version, the client would just crash.

I don't know what, but my last HD had 3 BSoDs and then my bios refused to recognize the fact that it even existed. That now this one is getting BSoDed by WF as well(despite being brand new) means something that was "optimized" needs to be doing something differently than it does now.

Or maybe you need to...

Give us your dump logs so we can see what the problem actually is instead of you blaming whatever you feel like.

Thanks a lot for your info!

Actually I've never thought that Imay have hardware problems (many other games run smoothly and I haven't noticed any problems (exept Warframe crashing all the time since U15, of course), though I have one bad block on my HDD which caused no issues so far.

I googled a bit about Furmark and found out that it is more for overclocking than testing, so I chose 3Dmark06 instead and got interesting results.

Every GPU test was fine and smooth with mostly above 35 fps (which is more than enough for me), but when it came to CPU test... 1 fps turned out to be the best result.

By the way, I forgot to mention that I have 32-bit software running on my PC because I didn't know that I have x64 CPU (Didn't know much about computers when I installed Windows and everything) and now I'm just too lazy to reinstall everything. :)

There's a large and detailed test result file from 3Dmark:

http://www.filedropper.com/tests_2

P.S. Sorry for my bad english, not a native speaker :)

I appreciate you looking into something similar, but Furmark is actually what you want.  You DO want to stress-test your GPU to see if it's failing or if it's some other component, which happens to be the same thing that overclockers want to do after changing settings.

3DMark is for testing gaming performance for comparing different GPU models in real-world situations, on the other hand.  A benchmark rather than a stress test.

Who said anything about formatting a computer?

My last hard drive BSoDed 3 times from WF and then never restarted again.

My current (BRAND NEW) hard drive has already hit BSoD #2.

My old HD was fine until this. My new HD was fine until this.

Logic dictates, if I try to obtain dump logs by forcing another BSoD, I'm risking losing my HD all together, YET AGAIN!

I can't afford to keep replacing hard drives because some setting in WF is effing over my system.

Further, multiple other people have experienced similar problems, in a similar time frame.

So either we all have magically identical faulty systems, and I managed to get a new, magically identical faulty system....

...or the one factor they all have in common, playing WarFrame at the time of the error, is to blame.

Edited by Llyssa

Logic dictates, if I try to obtain dump logs by forcing another BSoD, I'm risking losing my HD all together, YET AGAIN!

Corrupt your HDD...? Yes. - Simple format re-install will fix that.

Kill your HDD...? Impossible. - Your old HDD was near death and Warframe was the last thing that made it spin fast... That is all.

Either provide detailed information to the people that are trying to help you. Or just deal with it.

I can't afford to keep replacing hard drives because some setting in WF is effing over my system.

Further, multiple other people have experienced similar problems, in a similar time frame.

So either we all have magically identical faulty systems, and I managed to get a new, magically identical faulty system....

...or the one factor they all have in common, playing WarFrame at the time of the error, is to blame.

Or, it might not be Warframe, it might not be your HDD either, it might be something faulty hardware wise like bad memory, faulty GPU, faulty CPU or faulty motherboard components.

What is certain is that in order to diagnose the root cause of it, we need the dump log(s).

If your current HDD is brand new, you still ought to have a warranty on it.

I would honestly hazard a guess that it's either your motherboard or your power supply that's the culprit (when Warframe is running it may increase the power draw from your computer, which causes something bad to happen in the PSU; or it could be a faulty component on the motherboard). I had a very similar problem when my old power supply began to burn out; it took a bunch of my system with it and the first signs were the blue screens whenever I played games or did processor/GPU-heavy tasks.

It is REALLY hard to cause a catastrophic failure that damages your hardware from the software level, so hard that unless Warframe were specially designed to circumvent both software (and hardware) safety measures both in the operating system and on the CPU, it would be impossible for Warframe to cause any sort of physical damage to your computer.

In fact I'd say that it's impossible to permanently damage hardware from a user-mode software application assuming that none of the hardware had any faulty parts.

Point is: give us your dump logs.

De Nile is a river in Africa.

Give us the logs, they will literally state which kernel-mode software crashed, or, if the kernel crashed, the reason for it.