Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee After Cronus

Athougho

Question

I'm pretty new - as I'm sure this shows. I've made a Cronus to replace my Skana, and maxed it. Now, I'm finding that it takes a lot of hacking to put the enemy down - one by one. What advice would more experienced players give me for the next melee weapon?

9 answers to this question

Kama and later Dual Kama is a great choice. Same goes for Dual Zoren.

Bo is really great if you mod it correctly (look for "zerkstick" on YouTube)

Amphis is my all time favourite, it still holds its ground even in late game (Pluto, Cerberus for example)

Edited by Angius

For a new player, the Kama might be hard to build. Believe it or not, as an end game player myself, the Skana is a great weapon - although a proper mod build might take some mods you don't have yet.

If you really want a new weapon, my favorite (besides the Skana) is the Glaive. It's a semi-rare Tier 3 login reward, but worth the wait.

If you want to buy one from the market, Kestrel could be the way to go - it's a boomerang with high impact damage, which is great against pesky moas, and can be thrown to take them down quickly - a big advantage for the new player.

What Mastery rank are you?

I wouldn't build Dual anything just yet, that takes more resources generally and also why build a single to skip to the dual.

Go for something like the Bo, Kogake, Ankyros, Mire, Dual Heat Swords, Kestrel, Glaive. Orthos is great when you get to Rank 2.

Wouldn't recommend the kama (or dual ones) just because it takes up quite a lot of materials (and money) depending on how new you are, like the posters above mentioned. If you build a dual anything build ones that don't require you to buy two blueprints, plus the dual blueprint and craft two items of each. It's far too much hassle this early on, do that when you have the spare credits, time and materials.

Personally I liked the Orthos, it was one of my favorite melee weapons as it was quite fast for the size and had fairly large attack range too.

Dual Ethers were also quite fun to use and they looked neat. Dual Zoren were fast and fairly powerful too.

If I had to tell you to choose one, it would probably be the Orthos.

Edited by Seraphyx

To answer questions: my mods are not maxed. I use Auto Install to compensate for my ignorance. ATM, my Cronus has Bronze "Pressure Point" and "Melee Prowess" at level 3. "Shocking Touch" Silver 6; "Fury" Silver 5; "Warrior's Grip" Silver 4; "North Wind" Silver 7 and "Reflex Coil" Silver 2. A mish mash I'm sure you'll say. Getting the right mods for a weapon seems a bit of a lottery.

I haven't moved up from Mastery zero yet, because I'm trying to find the right Primary weapon. My early efforts with the Braton didn't amount to much. I'm currently levelling the Grakata which has more promising DPS.

If you have access to the Crimson Dervish, that may be your best hope for the longswords at mastery 0... That'll let you kill things 3x more effective.

Dual Ethers/Heat swords might be the better choice for a new player-high attack speed, decent damage, and looks cool dual wielding. The stance is also fairly easy to obtain-swirling tiger, I think, maybe some people are willing to give those out for free. I know a friend of mine got a ton of stances from a group of friendlies :)

But trading requires rank 2... I'd recommend trying to get there ASAP.

I recommend Orthos, personally. I used it when I was a low rank, sold it and then got Orthos Prime several months later - it's a solidly damaging weapon with a high range, meaning by doing basic attacks you can hit enemies all around.

Depending on your tastes, you might want to try Kestrel / Glaive (as was mentioned - ever wanted to throw a potentially explosive boomerang?) and Heat Swords or Ether Swords (fairly easy to get early on, pretty effective in midgame). They're the only good melee weapons I know that are possible to get fairly early on.