Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Trinity Loadout Feedback

Kahncub

Question

First off, Hi.  First post, only been playing Warframe for 2 weeks :)  Second I have built a Trinity as my first besides the starter Warframe.  I have not entirely finished my loadout yet but here's where I want to be:

Primary: Snipetron

Pistol: AkBolto

Melee: Dual Ethers

Sentinel: Shade

My thoughts however have been wondering what all other Trinity have been running and have had success.  So far I really love the Snipetron on her and I JUST finished Dual Ethers and those are fantastic.  Bolto #2 is almost done being built so I can get AkBolto and then finish getting the mats to build Shade.  What loadouts do you run on your Trinity with success?  I am open to suggestions to try other loadouts on her.

Edited by Kahncub

10 answers to this question

I've actually had the most dramatic success playing Trinity in a very different manner than you've been.

I strap on a Hek, walk up close, and try to get all my timings just right so I can be the most effective single-target tank in the game.  It's hard to do.  And when I  screw up I really court death.  But when it works, it feels so satisfying.  The trick is that Trinity can actually tank forever if you get the timing right.  You walk up in front of a target, drop Link, drop Energy Syphon, and blast each other in the face.  And then you repeat.  If it works, you feel like a huge hero.  If you mess up the timings (made easier with continuity--this is REALLY hard off-host while leveling), then you feel silly.

This is going to sound a little odd to say, but I feel like Trinity's usefulness as a support is inversely proportional to the strength of you and your team's weaponry.  I mean, that's true to an extent of most characters.  But it feels especially true for her given that a well-geared group will tend to bumrush enemies and 1-shot them all at close-ish range.  This makes 2 of her 4 abilities (both the restorations on hit) unreliable against anything but bosses.  Her 4th ability is devilishly tricky to get right.  You get no invulnerability but have to be near the heat of the action.  And it's rather hard to time.

To my mind, Trinity's only non-boss reliable ability is her invulnerability.  Which also happens to be ludicrously good on boss runs too.  To use as a sniper a character whose strongest asset is her better-than-invulnerability in close proximity, well...it felt like a terrible waste when I did it.  Which is why I play her more like a Rhino than a Nyx.

I've actually had the most dramatic success playing Trinity in a very different manner than you've been.

I strap on a Hek, walk up close, and try to get all my timings just right so I can be the most effective single-target tank in the game.  It's hard to do.  And when I  screw up I really court death.  But when it works, it feels so satisfying.  The trick is that Trinity can actually tank forever if you get the timing right.  You walk up in front of a target, drop Link, drop Energy Syphon, and blast each other in the face.  And then you repeat.  If it works, you feel like a huge hero.  If you mess up the timings (made easier with continuity--this is REALLY hard off-host while leveling), then you feel silly.

This is going to sound a little odd to say, but I feel like Trinity's usefulness as a support is inversely proportional to the strength of you and your team's weaponry.  I mean, that's true to an extent of most characters.  But it feels especially true for her given that a well-geared group will tend to bumrush enemies and 1-shot them all at close-ish range.  This makes 2 of her 4 abilities (both the restorations on hit) unreliable against anything but bosses.  Her 4th ability is devilishly tricky to get right.  You get no invulnerability but have to be near the heat of the action.  And it's rather hard to time.

To my mind, Trinity's only non-boss reliable ability is her invulnerability.  Which also happens to be ludicrously good on boss runs too.  To use as a sniper a character whose strongest asset is her better-than-invulnerability in close proximity, well...it felt like a terrible waste when I did it.  Which is why I play her more like a Rhino than a Nyx.

I have a friend I play with who's currently running a Mag and he swears that the Hek is an amazing weapon.  The more I read up on Trinity the more I hear health tank/close-up tank.  I guess I'm just a bit afraid because when I start seeing my HUD flash red, I instinctively think I am going to die soon!  My biggest issue probably lies in my lack of using Link.  I never know when to use it to be honest, even if I do fight up close.

I do like your suggestion though about running in with a good close range primary and Link tanking.  With that in mind I did some reading up on those AkBolto I really want and I may try it with those.  Since their bullets hit hard and naturally armor pierce, sounds fun to me.  I don't think for now I'll stop using Snipetron.  I've gotten some good use out of that.  But I will try getting more personal with waves and Link tanking :)  Thanks!

Actually, all of Trinity's abilities have very long, if not infinite, range, they don't require you to be in close proximity to who you're trying to affect.

This is true, but deceptive.  My view is...a bit complicated.  With her two restoration-on-hit abilities range isn't really an advantage or disadvantage so much as a non-issue, so I'll brush over those.  It's target selection that's the sole limiter of those two moves.

The other two abilities are 100% dependent on range.  Link as an ability that transfers damage received from you onto the nearest enemies.  Let me ask a few questions.  How much aggro does a sniper take?  And how much usefulness are you wasting on an ability like this if you're not taking significant damage?

The ult is similarly deceptive.  It's an emergency heal with a travel time and a channel time in a game that makes it difficult to know when teammates need help.  in most missions, I find it harder to tell when things are going pear-shaped if I'm not...near where things are going pear shaped.  Also, it's an emergency button with a delay based on how far away you are from your targets.  I suppose you could use it when you've the energy to burn for nice little maintenance heals every now and then during defenses, but I think we can all agree that's far less useful.  Possibly not even worth the effort.

So yes, Trinity's ranges are, for all intents and purposes, infinite.  But that doesn't necessarily mean she's operating optimally from longer ranges.  Quite the opposite by my estimation.  That said, this is just my opinion and I'm sure some people do ridiculous things with her from across the map.

Edited by Shinnyshin

So yes, Trinity's ranges are, for all intents and purposes, infinite.  But that doesn't necessarily mean she's operating optimally from longer ranges.  Quite the opposite by my estimation.  That said, this is just my opinion and I'm sure some people do ridiculous things with her from across the map.

It is useful since she has a low sprint speed, compared to most others (Rhino notwithstanding)

While teammates run on ahead, and potentially get massacred, you can use Blessing from infinitely far away and save their sorry hides.

That, or Well of Life'ing / Energy Vamping bosses from a great distance is a great way to offer support.

Link is useful for its Invincibility, as you do not need a target to utilize it. But it is technically the only ability of Trinity's that can cause damage to others. From my experience, it is really only useful in a "mexican stand-off" style against anyone with a Gorgon.

Link is useful for its Invincibility, as you do not need a target to utilize it. But it is technically the only ability of Trinity's that can cause damage to others. From my experience, it is really only useful in a "mexican stand-off" style against anyone with a Gorgon.

Oh uhhh...I was actually going in a completely different direction with my view on Link.  See, I want to be up front not primarily for the damage reflection--though that is certainly a part of it.  Rather, I want people to be shooting at me when I'm invincible and not my teammates.  Any damage the comes onto me from the enemies is wasted.  Worse-than-wasted, technically.  This goes double for bosses.  I want to be the guy that every single enemy within 2 miles is shooting at instead of my teammates.  After all, the most efficient way to use an invincibility mechanic in any game I've ever played is by redistributing as much damage onto yourself as possible and negating it all.  Which I couldn't do while sniping.  I'd imagine Trinity is a totally different class while solo-ing.

The speed issue is a pain.  I have to wall-jump and slide-jump religiously.  To the extent that my fingers were getting sore until I rebound Jump to Spacebar and Run to a mouse-key.  Then everything got great.

But yeah, I could see the mobility issue very reasonably being a pain for people.

Edited by Shinnyshin

i'm no pro but here it goes.

what i'm wearing: i have high level continuity, flow, and streamline on as well as her special helm all for energy purposes. other mods would depend on what else you want your trinity to do. as far as weapons, you will want high damaging attacks from either a shotgun or charge attacks. you will need this for energy vamp to give you back the energy it grants (in one explosive hit preferrably). this should keep your energy up hence keeping your link and vamp up as well. just make sure theres always something you can bash with energy vamp. sometimes your team will just shreds everything leaving you with depleted energy.

when i play trinity as a tank in a group i make sure that there is at least 1 enemy i can hit with a charged up gram before i even think of using any skills. if i have enough energy to pop link and energy vamp TOGETHER, from a safe distance i cast them then go in for charge attacks while being mindful of which of my buffs are going down. these skills have different timers and this difference is what's going to complicate things for you. i cast immediately when i sense that one of them is down or anticipate when the timer will go off. watch out for knockdowns and staggers, you are NOT rhino and this will throw your battle flow & timing off. rinse and repeat.

not saying this is the best method, but it sure works for me.

edit: watch out for the knockdowns and staggers if you fail to keep link up.

Edited by Riotface

Rather than make a new thread, thought I'd hijack this one, been thinking of crafting Trin next:

In regards to Energy Vampire:

Am I correct in assuming you want to be using Rank 0? 6 seconds instead of 9 till you can cast again seems better than 10% return rate (need to do 500 dmg instead of 400), plus 2 frame mods points.

Is the energy returned a percentage of damage done by your weapon, or the damage done to the target? For example I hit a Grineer with 200 health with a charged attack dealing 500 damage (with rank 0 EV on him). Do I get 40 energy (20% of 200) or the full 100 (20% of 500) back?

Same questions for Well of Life I suppose.

Is the energy returned a percentage of damage done by your weapon, or the damage done to the target? For example I hit a Grineer with 200 health with a charged attack dealing 500 damage (with rank 0 EV on him). Do I get 40 energy (20% of 200) or the full 100 (20% of 500) back?

Overkill counts for energy vampire. So with a big enough charge damage, you can get full energy leech even from mercury grineer grunts. That's why I prefer a high charge damage weapon on Trinity, like Dual Heat Swords.

Here's a recent thread about trinity builds: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/32665-trinity-questions

Edited by arune