The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Have A Problem About Rhino Iron Skin, But I Did Come Up With An Idea For It And I Would Like Feedback. *idea Edit*

SWAT_Omega

All in all, Rhino needs to be buffed IMO

Howso?

Well i did make a a re-edit of idea number 2, have HP and armor effect how the ability works

Iron skin armor it effected by HP and armor of rhino. So lets take a lvl rhino with no mods and buy using the armor reduction formula *max hp x (1+(armor/300)) come to 2450 *Please note in this formula 100% of the max HP is added to iron skin health* now if it was effected by MAX mods vitality, vigor, and steel fibers comes too 4799.8 effective iron skin HP. now let say you also had a max Redirection and if do all the math for rhino max effective HP WITHOUT ability mods comes too 8093.6 effective HP.

Well i did make a a re-edit of idea number 2, have HP and armor effect how the ability works

Iron skin armor it effected by HP and armor of rhino. So lets take a lvl rhino with no mods and buy using the armor reduction formula *max hp x (1+(armor/300)) come to 2450 *Please note in this formula 100% of the max HP is added to iron skin health* now if it was effected by MAX mods vitality, vigor, and steel fibers comes too 4799.8 effective iron skin HP. now let say you also had a max Redirection and if do all the math for rhino max effective HP WITHOUT ability mods comes too 8093.6 effective HP.

And i replied to that

I still think the best route is to lower iron skins base hp and make it affected by armor then add a timer so it doesnt last forever

It wont be broken on early missions and will scale better past lvl 40

Transient fortitude kind of added to the problem

Though i anted to go on to add that 8k EHP Is way too high and needs to be brought to a more reasonable number

After Iron Skin cast, it doesn't lose health in first 6 seconds.

So it always will be for minimum 6 seconds + duration of how much time it can take this damage.

And then players just abuse the lowest energy cost build for the 6 seconds

Not that they dont already abuse the lowest energy builds possible but you know

Not helping much

• 2 weeks later...

To the OP, i think u idea is basically a Nyx absorb that allow player to walking around to avoid damage (but since it dont do any damage ... well)thus what will happen if we drain out of energy between a horde of enemy? no energy, no Stomp .... this will change rhino playstyle a lot since u must deacitve the IS drain to save energy for u Stomp (which could make u get killed in middle of stomp animation) 

Ediit: oh ... didnt see u second ideas, about that, i think the amor effect the HP of IS like frost Globe is good ideas, but will just only till a point, since it still a fixed number)

Edited by FireSegment

The problem I find in this idea is that it would force players to play Rhino as either a caster, a full on tank, or a combination of both that does neither well. In my opinion Iron Skin's is good at what I need it for, which is to have a bit more health to tank damage so I can lay a few more rounds into an enemy, or get into position to Rhino Stomp, or revive players. Making it based off energy would force players to focus more on max energy and and efficiency so that when they take damage their energy drains less and it stays longer and taking away places for mods that would let his other abilities be more useful.

I think that if they made Iron Skin scale with Power Strength and either Max health or your Armor Value with a multiplier, it would somewhat solve or at the very least alleviate some of the issues with its value in late game.

-----

Here is my suggestion on Iron Skin.

TLDR: I (and a few others) propose a version of iron skin that works as follows-

Upon cast Iron Skin taunts enemies within a wide aoe, it has 4 or so seconds of invulnerability. The base hit points of Iron skin is relatively low but it gains HP based on how much incoming damage has been taken during that 4 second window. The percentage of hit points gained from absorbing damage in that window are increased based on Rhino’s Armor and/or Health and/or shield numbers. However it would not increase from power strength. Also Rhino should be able to use the block command if in melee mode while Iron Skin is active.

HERE ARE MORE DETAILED THOUGHTS-

Currently Iron Skin’s primary problem is his lack of proper scaling. 

Early on Iron Skin makes Rhino extremely resilient to the point that most early stuff is just trivial. However once you get to the much later on stages of the game (T4 key stuff) Iron skin simply does not last through enough hit’s for it to be wise for Rhino to try to absorb the incoming hits from hitting other players. Rhino is still more resilient than most frames at T4 but not to the point where he can retain his proper role.

In my view a rework for Iron skin should have a few goals in mind.

1: To scale well in both early and late game.

2: To get people to use Iron Skin in a smart, skillfull way and reward them for it.

3: To avoid the common ability spam that has become a crutch for many players.

4: To avoid people getting the best defense from rhino by building him with caster mods.

As long as Iron Skin is based on flat HP values and changes based on power strength it will have trouble achieving those goals. We need the defense it offers to scale with the enemies around us at the time so it’s more commonly at the right level. We need to create the want to use it in tough moments instead of having people just turn it on before a fight. We need a players timing to affect how effective Iron skin will be.

Players like to be efficient. Make the base hit points of Iron Skin low enough that it is just not going to provide that meaningful of protection without having absorbed some damage. This creates an issue of power conservation verses effective use in many people’s mind. Knowing that the smarter use of Iron Skin will leave you with more energy for things like charge, roar and stomp will entice players to use it as intended. Additionally lowering Iron Skins base hit points lessens rhino's mindless dominance in early levels.

Since Iron Skin would scale more off of defensive stats not power strength. Make mods like Redirection, vitality or Steel fiber attractive for improving iron skin. Players would have to slot those defense minded mods to get the most defensive value out of Iron Skin. Then the Rhino player would have to choose between things like power strength and energy efficiency mods to increase his offensive powers capability OR things like speed and stamina to increase his other aspects. A single caster like build should not be the obvious best choice for any and everything rhino wants to do.

You probably noticed that the changes I suggested are similar to frosts snowglobe and to a lesser degree Nyx’s absorb.

That is intentional. I believe DE is on to something smart with that kind of design.