Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tenno Language Decoded

DE_Adam

Owie 06. Sounds like a VIN number.

Or a serial number ...

Or a medical record number or an experimental test subject number or a prisoner number or a concentration camp number

ada5467c-5255-40d8-9282-1067d34516ed.jpg

These inscriptions on the warframe exterior don't prove a thing

Look, war time graphic art is as old as humanity ...

Be it tattooed body art, temporary warpaint or insignia on wartime equipment such as nose art on warplanes

54cec0b5-9752-4568-a8ff-e4d51be24fc2.jpg

26f0e3f2-b7ce-4eb6-8cab-d8e9ca2e9357.jpg

Or just reminders of what is important to us ...

6b26c095-898b-41c8-9dc0-554d6f5733c3.jpg

Consequently, there are several interpretations of what this calligraphic art means:

1. Literal - they mean exactly what they say, so "Hayden Tenno" means that Hayden wrote his name on his warframe

2. Allusion - they are in story references, so "Hayden Tenno" is a homage of that Tenno to the "ancient warrior" of that name

3. Homage - DE is giving a nonLore nod to their prior work

At present there not enough collaborative information to be certain about any particular interpretation or set of interpretations

However, when was the last time you saw someone so egotistical that they tattooed their own name on themselves?

Rather makes a literal interpretation seem silly

The way I see all this is:

1. DE has done a masterful job of creating a real worldscape by including a syllabary (thank you Letter13 for pointing out that valuable distinction)

2. Which may or may not be an authentic extension of Dark Sectors (thank you Angelus_de_Mortiel for repeating that valuable distinction)

3. And that some very ingenious community folks deciphered this (thank you NearlyDedicated, drJia, MolganVK, StallordD and those who contributed to their threads)

However, I do have a question:  Why is this a "Tennobet" when it is written in the Orokin Towers?

Should this really be called "Orokin" or did the Tenno later scrawl graffiti all over the walls of their "former masters"?

-Crafted by Tenno

-Model 2100N (Loki)

-Serial 148H its when they build that particular suit.

Wait if 148H is when they built that particular suit does that mean instead of AD, and BC they use H? and what would H even stand for if its the calender they are following.

Edited by Arlayn

Wait if 148H is when they built that particular suit does that mean instead of AD, and BC they use H? and what would H even stand for if its the calender they are following.

I don't know what i was thinking when i said "when they build that particular suit" really... but can be a possiblity that H could mean something like when the humans reached "Heaven" (Void?).

Right now im just throwing random stuff, ignore me uwu

I don't know what i was thinking when i said "when they build that particular suit" really... but can be a possiblity that H could mean something like when the humans reached "Heaven" (Void?).

To be honest I am still curious about the calender used in Warframe, or even what year it is. Would be interesting if events in game had dates as well saying in what order did the actually happen in as DE is now going back adding said events as quest in game.

To be honest I am still curious about the calender used in Warframe, or even what year it is. Would be interesting if events in game had dates as well saying in what order did the actually happen in as DE is now going back adding said events as quest in game.

I don't know.

I always thought loki's leg was just a cool design. Then I saw this saying that it's text, so I thought it might be something witty or clever or deep.

That it's just a manufacturing mark is a disappointment.... and kind of creepy.

I remember Frost's Squall helmet have some Tenno language inside the circle that is on top of the helm.

Can anyone grab a picture and translate that?

Looks like it just says "Hayden Tenno"... that's also on Nyx, too. I'm guessing it's a pre-fab decoration that the art department just randomly stamps on stuff.

Nice insight. Thanks Adam and co.

So can we use this as sign that something is infact a Tenno based weapon?

Because i think there are still people who think the Strun is a Grineer weapon because Troopers used to carry them. But the notable Tenno language sign on the stock speaks otherwise.

I think it's the "Danger" word from the selection Adam posted.

I just realised that the Boar uses the same body as the Strun, with the exception of the drum. The drum meanwhile has the word evolution written on it.

Boar being an evolution of the Strun? Makes sense.

No, I don't think so. Manufacturers include letters in their serial numbers. If you have a wireless router, look at it--you'll see the same thing.

It says, "Tenno Model 2100N Serial 148H"

You'll need to read it from the bottom up, and remember the vowels/accents are stacked on top of the consonants for orientation.

He also has one on the back, but my ingame resolution is too low to make a proper screenshot to compare it to the alphabet examples. Can anyone look that one up too.

Hearing that makes me think of the Tenno to be more of a machine, rather than a living being ._.

We are talking science fiction here, human beings can be produced like machines in those. Think of the Clones in Star Wars (who ended up all going with individual names after a while).

So, there are multiples of each frame in-universe then. 

That has some interesting implications.

There might be, but we don't know for sure.

I think there is, personally, because how else would you fit 4 Lokis (or whatever) into the same mission? It also makes sense, that there are more than just a couple dozen guys fighting a war in an entire solar system, agains an army of clones and robots.

No, I don't think so. Manufacturers include letters in their serial numbers. If you have a wireless router, look at it--you'll see the same thing.

You can make serialnumbers whatever you want. While they usually include both numbers and letters, they don't have to.

Things that have lots of them made often have letters in their serial numbers, but some things that only have a few hundred things made can use only numbers, such as old german tanks, or lots of technical products from really small companies.

According to one of the pictures im fairly sure nekros has the symbol that means "Evolution" on his arm/shoulder, is anyone who owns a nekros able to confirm and or deny this? Out of curiosity

by getting a closer look

Yes. You're right. Oddly, though, on the right shoulder, it is written backwards, as if someone was looking in a mirror when they did it.

EDIT: To be technical, it's not all that odd, from a mechanics perspective(you model 1/2 of a symmetric object and then copy it over), but from the in-game/lore perspective, it's a tad weird.

Edited by Llyssa

Are we ever going to have a downloadable font for this? That would be completely awesome, and would put fan-art into another level, with secret inside jokes and such. Come to think of it, is there going to be a central repository for all of this stuff (lore, background, etc) because it would really be nice to see all of the stuff that the devs have unveiled. Maybe in a tab in the website or something.

My findings so far, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Nekros Shoulder

IQcBVp1.jpg

"Evolution"

Orthos Prime

wd1tYXW.jpg

"Reach Over Grasp"

Volt Shoulder

DtLPvfZ.jpg

"Hayden Tenno"

Nyx Shoulder

noxpzvI.jpg

"Hayden Tenno"

Nyx Helmet

gAWaDcI.jpg

"Tenno Model 2100N Serial 148-H" (same as Loki's leg?)

Nyx Collarbone

byKiipw.jpg

(above) "Tenno Model 2100N Serial 148-H" (again, same as Loki's leg)

(below) "M A9"

Hydroid Shoulder

E7vxqTt.jpg

"Tribe"

Edited by Kruzil