Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

About The Moustache (A Fair [Or At Least Trying The Best To Be] Opinion)

Renegade343

Hello all,

This thread is detailing about the Moustache attachment for Warframes, and a few suggestions for future cosmetics that is akin to the purpose of the Moustache. The content is below: 

The Moustache is a new cosmetic made by DE(L) to support Movember, an event made by The Movember Foundation to encourage the growing of moustaches to raise awareness about men's health. So, the existence of this moustache cosmetic. While this cosmetic addition is a very nice decision by DE(L) to support Movember and The Movember Foundation, and also quite an interesting move as well, in terms of how they decide to support Movember, there is one small criticism about the cosmetic:

It does not really fit into Warframe, as it looks a bit too detached from wearing it on a Warframe because the transition between the moustache and the Warframe feels a bit too abrupt and too contrasting. 

That is not to say that it should be removed and such (in fact, it should be encouraged that DE(L) should do more of these for events that help raise awareness of things), but one suggestion I would like to make is that if DE(L) were to continue going that route, is it possible to make the cosmetic fit a bit into Warframe (i.e.: Fits within the art style of Warframe [of course, with some loose tolerances for fun]), so that some players could still feel immersed into Warframe while supporting the event?

Please discuss civilly in this thread.

Renegade343

The Moustache is a new cosmetic made by DE(L) to support Movember, an event made by The Movember Foundation to encourage the growing of moustaches to raise awareness about men's health.

Pardon my ignorance and off-topic, but no matter how much times i hear about this thing, I can't get one thing: how the hell can you rise awareness about health by encouraging the growing of moustaches?

It's like that recent stuff where everyone kept showering themselves with a bucket of cold water... for some reason I don't even remember.

Pardon my ignorance and off-topic, but no matter how much times i hear about this thing, I can't get one thing: how the hell can you rise awareness about health by encouraging the growing of moustaches?

It's like that recent stuff where everyone kept showering themselves with a bucket of cold water... for some reason I don't even remember.

I am guessing word-of-mouth (WOM) promotion, or shock factor. 

WOM promotion does spread the word a bit (provided if the message is not distorted half-way). And as for the ALS Ice Bucket challenge, it did achieve its goal of raising awareness of ALS. 

I am guessing word-of-mouth (WOM) promotion, or shock factor. 

WOM promotion does spread the word a bit (provided if the message is not distorted half-way). And as for the ALS Ice Bucket challenge, it did achieve its goal of raising awareness of ALS. 

Definitely not in my country... Thanks for taking your time to explain, though.

Edited by RossRam

but I will never use the moustaches in the least. Like you said, very contrasting.

Limbo (standard helmet) looks like he was born to wear the Magnum - a proper English gentleman. Volt (standard helmet) looks incredibly silly with it - in a funny way, like he jumped right out of a fayre. But I agree, apart from those they don't really fit in. Especially since they hover a good distance in front of the face or look like they grow right below the eyes (Harlequin Mirage) on quite a few helmets.

But then again:

VUnoSrm.png

Edited by Bibliothekar

I agree with this guys. I mean, the full Movember stuff is really funny to see and to wear. My problem is: The item (cosmetic) itself doesnt fit into warframe.  The idea is surely great! Buuuut not in this game. Lemme explain myself. This moustache cosmetic would fit in another (great) games like TF2, COD, or something with that graphics idea. But Warframe is a space-themed game with warframes (suits) made entirely for fighting and increasing survivability. The problem is not the idea, the problem (to me) is how this idea was introduced to the game. For example: The same Moustache idea, but introduced as a luminiscent sigil (instead of a hairy moustache) wearable in the warframe's face... That gives the correct scent/felling about the space theme, while also giving the funny moustache to people and promoting men's health. (This was just my idea of how should the moustache should have been introduced, Im sure other guys can and will think better ways)

Another theme-breaker, in fact, is Limbo. The abilities are awesome, well thought and requires players to master them in order to use their full potential. The problem (again (sorry)) is Limbo's look. It looks funny and actually its nice the hat idea and the (hidden) tuxedo, I mean the idea is great! But, not for Warframe... It breaks all the warrior-space-battling scent of the game...

DEVs can (and should) get funny stuff things into warframe, just by the right means. A warframe like Limbo can also be launch every 8-12 serious warframes so the game gets its funny aspect. But I would not recommend getting a bunch of funny warframes at once (Mirage=a clown-like warframe who got a disco ball with confetti).

My final statement is this one: From now one Warframe is deciding which of these paths to follow: The warrior-space-battling cool theme where the warframes are powerful and respected beings created by the void's energy capable of killing entire armies of enemies OR that game which has funny stuff in it, which kids enjoy playing, using a clown with a big red nose and bunny ears and with new weapons like the Tickle-R and the Fart-Pumper (maybe overreacted a bit), or even more like a TF2 (which is also a great game, but with another theme) which is more like a cartoon-like game with funny stuff in it.

Again, this is just my opinion about this. I didn't want to offend anyone. I hope DEVs consider this fact and analize it. Maybe I'm wrong about all this, or maybe not.

Im sorry for my english. I am not a native english speaker, but always trying to improve :)

EDIT: as I just read in the comments this great idea: instead of the funny facts being introduced to hte warframes itself, they should be introduced for secondary elements like kubrows, sentinels, even Lotus and Ordis, that would make the game funny to play, while respecting the powerful warframes idea. :)

Edited by KILLSOME1PLZ

I'm personally okay with the mustaches added to the game, and here's why:

It's a completely optional cosmetic. You don't have to wear it if you don't want to.

It sounds like a simple phrase and all, but here's the thing.

With a frame like Limbo, for example, that's his art style. If you don't like it, you can't just "not wear it", as it's an actual character necessary for, at the very least, the progression for mastery ranks. In other words, if you don't like his art style, too bad (sadly). With frames, this choice is unable to be controlled by the player, unless they choose to entirely avoid using said character.

With the mustaches, however, it's  on the same boat as the Halloween skins, or the Candy Cane Scythes and such. These are just meaningless cosmetics that are in the game for fun. If you don't like them, you have the option to not use them entirely. And to further expand on this, the game's always really had this sense of cosmetics breaking from the art styles. Even back in the basic days, you could literally colour your entire character all pink. While this isn't a cosmetic item per say, it is a cosmetic choice nonetheless, and clearly doesn't fit the artstyle whatsoever. But no one seems to be discussing that, it's all about the mustaches it seems. Regardless, with cosmetics, the player is completely able to decide whether or whether not they would like to choose said cosmetics.

I think the important part here are that optional cosmetic silliness that does not fit the game's artstyle has existed in this game for a long time now. I'm personally not sure why people are being so vocal about it now that the mustaches are added to the game.

These are just my two cents on the matter, and I do not mean to send any disrespectful manner towards you or anyone. If it does, then I sincerely apologize.

With the mustaches, however, it's  on the same boat as the Halloween skins, or the Candy Cane Scythes and such. These are just meaningless cosmetics that are in the game for fun. If you don't like them, you have the option to not use them entirely. And to further expand on this, the game's always really had this sense of cosmetics breaking from the art styles. Even back in the basic days, you could literally colour your entire character all pink. While this isn't a cosmetic item per say, it is a cosmetic choice nonetheless, and clearly doesn't fit the artstyle whatsoever. But no one seems to be discussing that, it's all about the mustaches it seems. Regardless, with cosmetics, the player is completely able to decide whether or whether not they would like to choose said cosmetics.

I do have a rather dim opinion on the Candy Cane skins, for one (and I was not active on the forums at that time). 

At least some of the Day of the Dead skins actually fit Warframe's art style (some of them look gunmetal grey, which is rather nice [and actually fitting too]). 

And as for colour customisation (for Warframes, weapons, sentinels and such), I do have a thing against having kaleidoscope-like colouring schemes (or at least rather too cheerful colours as an option to colour things). But if I were to comment on this now, I have this feeling I am going to be drowned in a sea of 'customisation is good!' comments. 

So, at least I do have some consistency in what I like and do not like (the art style), therefore I could have a say in that matter without being a hypocrite most of the time. 

Even avoiding Limbo yourself won't help, as you can still be teamed up with other players that use him. Same with Candy Cane or a pink frame.

At least some of the Day of the Dead skins actually fit Warframe's art style (some of them look gunmetal grey, which is rather nice [and actually fitting too]). 

And as for colour customisation (for Warframes, weapons, sentinels and such), I do have a thing against having kaleidoscope-like colouring schemes (or at least rather too cheerful colours as an option to colour things). But if I were to comment on this now, I have this feeling I am going to be drowned in a sea of 'customisation is good!' comments. 

What I mean though is that Limbo's art style is the official choice by the developers, and thus, unless the model is changed, Limbo will stay as-is.

With the pink (or whatever unfitting colour) frames and candy cane scythes, these aren't official art style choices by the developers, but are rather options that the player can use if they have the desire to. I might sound like a jerk for saying this, but many games (not free-to-play, but just games in general) do take this route as well. Is it a good approach to it? That's up to the players opinion.

As for what other players choose to wear, well, ehh... this can go both ways. One could argue that "it's another persons personal preference" whereas another could argue that the personal preference "doesn't fit the art style." Either arguments aren't technically wrong. I find myself to fit in the group with "it's another persons personal preference," so this is where my opinions may be a little bit biased.

As for Day of the Dead skins, I can somewhat see where you're coming from, but when you break it down, it's basically skulls and dots with lines on your weapons. In it's most basic form with colours out of the equation, it's not really fitting with the art style. Even with the colours in the equation, it's basically the same deal.

I do have a rather dim opinion on the Candy Cane skins, for one (and I was not active on the forums at that time). 

I didn't really mean to target you with this (if that's what it seemed like). It's just that, during the time of the release of that skin, nobody really seemed to care in general. But with the release of mustaches, discussion about the mustaches have just been popping left and right in my opinion.

Edited by ThaMega

What I mean though is that Limbo's art style is the official choice by the developers, and thus, unless the model is changed, Limbo will stay as-is.

With the pink (or whatever unfitting colour) frames and candy cane scythes, these aren't official art style choices by the developers, but are rather options that the player can use if they have the desire to. I might sound like a jerk for saying this, but many games (not free-to-play, but just games in general) do take this route as well. Is it a good approach to it? That's up to the players opinion.

As for what other players choose to wear, well, ehh... this can go both ways. One could argue that "it's another persons personal preference" whereas another could argue that the personal preference "doesn't fit the art style." Either arguments aren't technically wrong. I find myself to fit in the group with "it's another persons personal preference," so this is where my opinions may be a little bit biased.

As for Day of the Dead skins, I can somewhat see where you're coming from, but when you break it down, it's basically skulls and dots with lines on your weapons. In it's most basic form with colours out of the equation, it's not really fitting with the art style. Even with the colours in the equation, it's basically the same deal.

I didn't really mean to target you with this (if that's what it seemed like). It's just that, during the time of the release of that skin, nobody really seemed to care in general. But with the release of mustaches, discussion about the mustaches have just been popping left and right in my opinion.

Paint Jobs on weapons and warframes are explainable in of itself, a mustache on a warframe isn't. A theme of warframe is that the Tenno personalize what they use hence range of colors, a mustache attached to a WARframe doesn't have much justification. As for the candy cane skins, you're right they don't really fit in Warframe but for some reason I'd rather have them than mustaches.