Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why The Hurry To Max Syndicates And Other Stuff? "grinding, Just Say No"

Mastikator2

What possible purpose could playing a videogame serve?

Are you looking for story?  Well, you know that story is the most labour-intensive things for developers to make, and only really huge development teams can produce content at any decent rate.  Even then, it gets swallowed up pretty quickly.

The only kind of content that's inherently endless is sandbox content that players make for themselves - i.e. they interact to create the "stories" in the games, the devs just provide sand for the sandbox (things-to-do in the sandbox). 

But this isn't that type of game, it's not an MMO, it's just a third-person shooter.  What more can you expect from it? 

For me, Warframe is always on my comp, sometimes I don't play it for ages, but the gameplay is intrinsically fun enough that I always get a hankering for it after a week or two, and give it a few hours, or days, or sometimes a week, then I get bored with it again.

What's wrong with that type of game?  If it serves the purpose of entertaining me now and then, job done.

(Note: that's not to say I wouldn't like to see it expand, because I think the art and lore are cool, and I'd love to see it expand into a "proper" sandbox MMO eventually.  But that may or may not happen, but even if it does happen, it will take a long time.)

So I basically know that they don't have the manpower to crank something up like other gamecompanies do in their games.

I don't really need storyline that's at the magnitude of a Lord of the Rings book or whatever.

But at least something that shows me that the Warframe universe is evolving and that the Tenno are not only there to make a profit of keeping things as they are. Been doing that for long enough already and I want to see a change in flavor for once. I want to be given reason why I should fight for a damn Syndicate other than straight subpar rewards that I don't really need anyways or will only settle dust upon because they will lose their value soon.

But Koed basically gets me here:

I can see where both you and Medusalem are coming from, but if I were to guess, I'd say that Medusalem is just disappointed. I think this game has soooo much potential to reach higher hights. Not in terms of story, but in terms of what it does best and is already doing. Fun, fast paced, customizable, frantic, ninja and wizard powered 3rd person shooter action (DE, u can buy that sentence from me). But damnit we need more! You are asking what reason it needs? Well, what if all the grinding for the best loot, and all the formadding was neccesary to an extent, to beat a certain mission/raid? What if there was a lot more focus on leaderboards for endless content such as T4surv? (Longest run with names on navigation, front page, or somewhere else) - would people find prestige in reaching the top? What if PvP became a focus, and the grind was leading up to that. 

All Im saying is, that I get Medusalem. It's a very unimaginative approach to the game, to just keep adding more stuff to the game, and expect players to find their own amusement in grinding for it. Even Steve said in a dev stream recently, that he knows, that high rank players basically just get the new stuff, and that it kind of is their end game at this point. 

What is all the boring-*ss grind good for?

Why should I get all the items when all they are going to do is lose value fast and cover up in dust in my inventory?

Why should I keep on playing the same repetitive missions over and over when I know it doesn't serve any purpose?

How should I feel attached to my character or the Warframe universe or in this case to a Syndicate when it doesn't even remotely matter if I'm there or not?

I will quote myself from another thread dealing with basically the same problem:

They could have at least tried to make the Syndicates become what has been called "Proxy Wars".

They could have at least tried to come up with something like a dynamic faction/syndicate war-system where Syndicates are ganging up on each other or try to make others fight each other while not getting involved themselves which may end up in a full scale (cold-)war between Syndicates and/or the Factions behind them.

Where alliances are made and broken up every once in a while so that you don't lock yourself in completely when going for one syndicate. With unique offers from allied syndicates that are only valid as long as they are allied so you get a chance to gear/stock up on the stuff the other Syndicates are offering as well without having to redo ALL the reputation from square one.

With the outcome of those weekly/monthly wars affecting the entire solar system and redistributing the powers and borders between factions and Syndicates on the Solar Chart, most of it being influenced by the Tenno who work as mercenaries for the respective Syndicates.

It could have been tied in to some extend with the existing Invasion system that lost appeal months ago as well as adding/expanding on it with some new mission types as well.

If the rank up system and the sacrifices would have been part of something like that which would serve a greater purpose... well then it wouldn't be completely a braindead grind that serves no purpose other to gain items. Then it would actually matter who you want to support because it will heavily influence the outcome on the solar chart. But as it stands now... I can't be bothered other than to screw them all over eventually until I get all the items I want and then never care again if I really give a sh*t in the first place.

Anything beyond the same old "grind for items"-trick would have been nice. Anything that would have given the thing more purpose. Anything that would have at least tried to cover up the "grind" partially.

But not only "grind for items" and nothing beyond that.

I watched the Livestream on Friday and when I heard from Steve's mouth that he doesn't want that people are doing the stuff only for the items (Sigils but also mods etc) but rather because they should feel attached to the Syndicates they are supporting.... then why the hell didn't they think of ANYTHING that goes beyond the stupid items in the first place?

I just can't understand it. I really want to but I can't. Why did they make it just another bunch of grindwalls that don't serve any purpose, that doesn't give the players a reason to want to play that stuff in a year from now? That will lead to people demanding more in a few months already because they got through that grindmadness? Why... what... why?

It just blows my mind on so many levels that at one hand they want to give people purpose and at the other hand they release something that doesn't have purpose.

Edited by MeduSalem