Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Opticore Missing Aoe Damage

Dekallis

Opticore Appears to fail to AoE if one targets the ground while having a puncture mod on, it also loses it's AoE entirely when fired through volt's electric shield, although sometimes the electric damage added to it can proc the electric status giving the illusion the aoe is working when it isn't.

Opticor uses up its AoE when it hits something. In other words, it only explodes once. For example, its AoE is applied around its contact with Electric Shield, so it won't explode on another surface. I'd say this is intentional since, otherwise, it would deal insane damage against rows of enemies. Each enemy would get hit by the AoE of other hit enemies.

I retested with firestorm and shred equipped to be sure 100% sure I wasn't simply experiencing some weirdness caused by client/host issues and the results are this:

In all scenarios it didn't matter what setup the opticore had volt's shield removes it's AoE capabilities so you will never get the blast from hitting an object when firing through the shield. So that is definitely an issue whether its indended or not remains to be seen.

Second, the opticor does not 'use up' it's AoE. I've used it quite a bit and the AoE appears to be different from other weapons in that it isn't radial it's actually a shaped blast. Not sure the exact shape but it seemed to be wider than usual targeting slightly in front of or behind enemies seemed to have very small radius but to the sides seemed to cover a rather large area, i tried this with firestorm on and off and the results weren't much different. but then i was testing in mostly narrow areas.

Puncturing does not stop the opticore from AoE'ing. I piercing cover next to a enemy without hitting him directly and was able to kill him with the blast. I also punctured through the floor to shoot a enemy on the lower level partially hiding behind a crate and was able to hit him with the AoE. I was even able to pierce two lined up crewmen and hit the wall behind them for splash damage on a third. I had removed my elemental mods to be sure this wasn't my electric damage proc'ing. This means puncturing does not prevent the AoE from triggering. Whether the AoE can happen more than once is far more difficult to test though as it would require a perfect setup of objects to punch through and enemies nearby as well as enemies capable of surviving 1 normal blast. Though some of the corpus ships may provide ideal conditions for this.

thus it seems my original issue with hitting enemies via floor blasts may have simply been because of the awkward blast radius. it seems it's better to aim next to them instead of slightly infront of or behind them.

I did my testing on Mars-> Ultor which is a low level exterminate. to keep enemies in controlled numbers and i chose to run against corpus because they tend to favor keeping their distance and using cover which makes it easier to line up good test shots. I couldn't test whether multiple explosions actually do occur or not because the low level enemies died in one shot, will need somewhere enemies can survive a hit but are still in managable numbers to solo....with enough usable terrain to test the splash damage. Though there were a couple of instances where i felt like i splashed too more enemies than i should have with just one blast i can't be sure.