Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dread - Fanged Fusillade

(PSN)lhbuch

Question

What is better for my Dread build, Fanged fusillade or hammer shot?

Thanks,

I use FF, because I can. In all honesty, if you have crit mods on the Dread, then you kill EVERYTHING in one shot anyway. It doesnt really matter what faction you are fighting if you are hitting for 14k on every hit. 

Well.  Let's start with a dread using two elements for +180% elemental damage.  This makes its damage 1812 elemental + 1006 phyical critting at x4.4 = 12399 damage.

Using hammer shot, you get 1812 elemental + 1006 physical damage critting at x5.6 = 15781 damage.

Using fanged fusillade, you get 1812 elemental + 2093 physical damage critting at x4.4 = 17182 damage.

So in terms of raw damage, fanged fusillade wins.

However, something to consider here is the enemies you are fighting. Increasing your slash damage makes you super strong only against enemies specifically weak to slash, while your crit multiplier can amplify the effects of whatever elements you decide to use for the mission at hand. That makes it more flexible.

Should I change Speed Trigger for fusillade then?

Definitely not. Speed Trigger is a staple for bows. It increases the speed you kill the enemies by a lot.

Some people use speed triggerless builds but those builds will be stronger than a build with speed trigger in only pretty small window of enemy levels where ST build can't one shot the enemy but the other build can. Before that level, and after the level where the other build needs two shots too, STless build will be much worse.

Speed trigger is the mod you'd swap out. You don't actually need to charge up to kill most things so even though it's aquality of life mod other mods will increase dps by asmall amount. For corpus and infested it may be worth it. Aside from that heavy caliber is worth considering. Never ever ditch hammer shot.

Here's a quick comparison for void dread builds, calculating everything as charged shots.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n20i2f4gb7ukcn2/shred_void.xls?dl=0

Its a rare mod and may be a real hard to obtain but i got one for myself Use thunderbolt when maxed out it gives 30 percent chance to explode

I find that mod quite useful

While good clearing crowds at lower levels, its practically useless at higher levels. That 300 damage might as well be a fly against Void enemies.

Don't feel like making a whole new thread, so I'm gonna piggyback this one: Would you guys suggest Heavy Cal for Dread?

Speed trigger is the mod you'd swap out. You don't actually need to charge up to kill most things

I'm sorry but you clearly are not playing high levels here. The speed of your draw is enormously important unless you are slumming around on missions below level 30 where you can just pluck the string and enemies die from your half-damage/half-critting arrows.  ESPECIALLY important once you're an hour into an endless mission and they don't die from one arrow anymore, fully drawn or otherwise.

Highest DPS modding for Dread (about 18k sustained DPS), not taking armor into account:

Serration

Split Chamber

Heavy Caliber

Point Strike

Vital Sense

Vile Acceleration

Fanged Fusilade

Elemental mod (90%)

Swapping Fanged Fusillade for an elemental mod will lower the sustained DPS of about 1k.

Of course the build above will be very inaccurate due to Heavy Caliber + Split Chamber, so a more reasonable build would be to swap Heavy Caliber for an elemental mod (additional 90%, lowers sustained DPS by about 4k, event mod lowers it slightly more than that).

Swapping Vile Acceleration for Hammershot will further lower the sustained DPS by 2k (6k in total compared to the build above with Heavy Caliber). Hammershot is in general not worth it for weapons with a 2x critical multiplier or less, when you are not considering armor. You would add an additional elemental instead of Hammershot if ammo consumption is a concern.

Highest DPS modding for Dread (about 18k sustained DPS), not taking armor into account:

Serration

Split Chamber

Heavy Caliber

Point Strike

Vital Sense

Vile Acceleration

Fanged Fusilade

Elemental mod (90%)

Swapping Fanged Fusillade for an elemental mod will lower the sustained DPS of about 1k.

Of course the build above will be very inaccurate due to Heavy Caliber + Split Chamber, so a more reasonable build would be to swap Heavy Caliber for an elemental mod (additional 90%, lowers sustained DPS by about 4k, event mod lowers it slightly more than that).

Swapping Vile Acceleration for Hammershot will further lower the sustained DPS by 2k (6k in total compared to the build above with Heavy Caliber). Hammershot is in general not worth it for weapons with a 2x critical multiplier or less, when you are not considering armor. You would add an additional elemental instead of Hammershot if ammo consumption is a concern.

Using another 90% elemental instead of Fanged Fusillade would give you much better damage type, thus increasing your real damage more.

Using another 90% elemental instead of Fanged Fusillade would give you much better damage type, thus increasing your real damage more.

Yes, to quote myself: "Highest DPS modding for Dread (...), not taking armor into account". So of course, it is not the perfect modding, there are more factors to take into account than the raw pre-armor DPS of a weapon. But it can at least give you an indication to what to do and what to not do.

At least Fanged Fusillade is not a bad choice on Dread.

Use a 90% elemental mod is better for damage than an event mod even if the status chance decrease?

Yes, even if status-damage increases the proccing-element by 2x, it is better with a 90% for DPS (not 100% confirmed that is the case, but seems to be so for at least headshots). A status-chance mod will increase the likelihood of a high-damage crit, but the loss of those 30%-units is not compensated for.

In general, 90% damage mods are better than 60%. When you actually want an event mod is for either more CC (ie. the higher proc chance) or you want to merge it into an element which already uses 2 90% mods, eg. Infected Clip + Stormbringer + Malignant Force. The latter can give a higher DPS against specific enemies compared to a third 90% elemental, provided that the 90% elemental alternatives aren't very effective (eg. Viral vs grineer can actually benefit in both cases by adding a Malignant Force instead of Cryo Rounds).

Yes, to quote myself: "Highest DPS modding for Dread (...), not taking armor into account". So of course, it is not the perfect modding, there are more factors to take into account than the raw pre-armor DPS of a weapon. But it can at least give you an indication to what to do and what to not do.

At least Fanged Fusillade is not a bad choice on Dread.

It is not a bad choice but it shouldn't take a slot from the first two elemental mods you put into Dread or any slash based weapon. At least in any content high level enough where it matters what damage types you use.

Fanged Fusillade, Hammer Shot, Bane of XXX, and a faction appropriate 90% elemental are all roughly equivalent sidegrades competing for the last slot.

They all work out to around 30-35% damage increases. The only time you'll see a more significant difference is when utilizing an armor-piercing element against an armored enemy. For example, adding 60% more Corrosive damage will deal more than adding the 108% slash damage when facing off against high level Heavy Gunners.

Edit: VA works too, as does Fast Hands, but that's getting into the realm of damage per shot vs. damage/second and a potential reduction in ammo efficiency. I'd consider them for lower-level play tho.

Edit2: When using HCal the last slot is used up, really; HC, Ser, SC, PS + VS, ST, 2x elemental.

Edited by Darzk